Start by marking “Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)

Jurassic Park

(Jurassic Park #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  748,764 ratings  ·  11,011 reviews
Before seeing Jurassic World film this June read the original, multimillion copy No. 1 bestselling thriller that inspired the first major motion picture Jurassic Park.

On a remote jungle island, genetic engineers have created a dinosaur game park.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now one of mankind's most thri
Published May 21st 2015 by Arrow Books (first published November 7th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jurassic Park, please sign up.
Beverly Cooper This book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos…moreThis book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos Theory" and it's use in creating the, er, "dinosaurs..."
The book depicts the characters completely different than the movie does, in terms of their importance, personalities, relationships to the overall story and each other,etc. Actually, once you begin reading it, you may not be able to put it down literally - I know I couldn't... (less)
Erin The first time I read this book I was about 10. I remember learning some new words when I read it. I think a lot of it went over my head. I read it a…moreThe first time I read this book I was about 10. I remember learning some new words when I read it. I think a lot of it went over my head. I read it a second time now that I'm in my thirties, I would still let my younger self read it.(less)

·  748,764 ratings  ·  11,011 reviews

Start your review of Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Lesson from this book: Kids are annoying and will get you killed.

Ok I’m slightly exaggerating but have you noticed how frustrating children characters are during a crisis?

I’m sure they would be during the apocalypse or when being tracked by dinosaurs but I wanted to throw my phone at the wall a few times while reading this book.

With that said, I now have a new completely reasonable phobia, being eaten alive by a dinosaur.

Crichton did an amazing job at keeping me on my
Miranda Reads
description

“Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.”
Jurassic Park has all the major problems of a theme park, a zoo...and genetically altered prehistoric animals.

That's right - the dinosaurs are back from the dead and nothing - I repeat nothing - could go wrong...right?

Ha.

As my favorite character, Ian Malcom would say,
All major changes are like death. You can't see to the other side until you are there.
Though, considering some of the problems thewrong...right?
Alejandro
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd need to portrait Paris, France, but a dang capital city in a third world country? Who cares?

Well, I care, I
Wendy Darling
Rereading for obvious reasons. :D :D :D :D
Sr3yas
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❝ Discovery, they believe, is inevitable. So they just try to do it first. That's the game in science.❞
-------------- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

❝ All the Dinosaurs feared the T-Rex❞
------ Wade Wilson, Deadpool (2016)

🎵Velociraptor, he’s gonna find ya
He’s gonna kill ya, he’s gonna eat ya 🎵
----- Velociraptor, Kasabian

Welcome..... to Jurassic Park's review

I remember back when I was a kid, my dad rented a VHS (yes, the legendary VHS was real, young ones) cassette of an English movie. I think I was seven years old and my favorite pastimes were collecting g(2016)
🎵Velociraptor,Park
Ginger
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-challenge, audio, 2019
ALL THE STARS!

Holy smokes y'all, I did not realize the amount of differences in the book vs the movie!

And yes, I love the book much more then the movie now.
I've seen the movie 10 million times but the book of Jurassic Park is more dark, gritty and so well done! Kudos Michael Crichton on writing a classic that will last forever.

I decided to do audio on Jurassic Park and Scott Brick was the narrator. I'm super picky on narrators for audio books and I felt he did a great job.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Shelves: audiobooks
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brad by: James Davie
I always seem to forget how good Jurassic Park is. I blast through it once every few years, throw it on my shelf and the distance slowly makes me derisive, and then something forces me to pick it up again when my brain needs a little peanut butter and jelly dipped in hot chocolate, and I am forced to admit that Jurassic Park is a damn fine novel.

Sure it's packed with Michael Crichton's usual band of screenplay-adaptation-friendly archetypes, sure it derives much of its plot and thought from Arthur Conan Doyle, HG Wells and
Luffy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So, straight to it. Jurassic Park, the book, is inimitable, apart from a few clumsy attempts. One thing that differentiated it from its wannabes is that, unlike books about sharks, snakes or let's say, zombies, dinosaurs come in very varied shapes. This means that the way the casualties meet their end is just as variable.

Michael Crichton props up his
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

PLEASE NOTE THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT A BOOK THAT BECAME ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO, GROSSED OVER A BILLION DOLLARS AND CHANGED THE WAY WE LOOKED AT SPECIAL EFFECTS FOREVER. IF YOU CONSIDER ANYTHING IN MY REVIEW A “SPOILER,” THERE’S A GOOD CHANCE YOU WERE CREATED IN A LAB FROM SOME FOSSILIZED AMBER.

It all begins with a billionaire who has a big imagination and a lot
Anne
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Hey, did y'all know they made a movie out of this one?

Zora
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of offending what looks to be all my male goodreads friends who loved this (none of my female friends have read it, which is remarkable but probably not random), I couldn't finish it. It wasn't the multiple viewpoints or so-so prose, it was the science. I worked for awhile as an assistant paleontologist--field, prep, and curating--and I promise you, pretty much everything in the first 50 pages on this topic is wrong. I wasn't loving the book anyway, and kept finding random factual er ...more
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
I love, love, love the amount of research put into the science. As a bio nerd, I love that it built off possibilities and expanded into something intense and thrilling.

But the characters were a little one-dimensional? Like they just existed to push the plot forward? And maybe it’s just because the movie handles tension SO well... this didn’t seem to? (You don’t have to stop and explain the science WHILE the Raptors are attacking, mkay?)

——————-
It’s possible I procrastinated r
Lyn
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is most frequently the case, the book was better than the film.

And it was a really cool movie. Directed by Stephen Spielberg.

The section of Universal theme park in Orlando is fun too.

Michael Crichton’s 1990 genetically powered biological thriller combines an action packed adventure story with a cautionary tale of corporate, capitalistic greed gone wrong and rolls it all into a humanistic story with excellent characterization and that could be read as a powerful allegory of the harsh realities of laissez faire economics.

And there are dinosaurs.

Fast mo
Simeon
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science-at-the-brink-of-chaos fiction. Nonlinear dynamics had barely been invented, and yet here it was, gracing each chapter with a foreboding message of disintegration.

Not literature, not amazing prose, but a true edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Lola
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

DNF. The movie is better.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jurassic park: a novel (Jurassic Park #1), Michael Crichton
Jurassic Park is a 1990 science fiction novel written by Michael Crichton, divided into seven sections (iterations). A cautionary tale about genetic engineering, it presents the collapse of an amusement park showcasing genetically recreated dinosaurs to illustrate the mathematical concept of chaos theory and its real world implications. A sequel titled The Lost World, also written by Crichton, was published in 1995. In 1997, both novels
RedemptionDenied
The Kindle (25th Anniversary) edition is currently uber cheap: $0.64 in the States, £0.49p in the UK and $2.99 in Canada. I read the hardcover copy, about two decades ago - and if I was able to rate it at that juncture, I would have given it 4★
seak
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, audio, arc-review
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. I guess I've always had my reservations because of what an impact the movie had on me as a kid. I was about 9 or 10 when the movie first came out and it blew my mind. As the book likes to point out, boys love dinosaurs and that was true.

As a side note, I'm loving how much my son (5 y.o.) loves dinosaurs. He knows so much more about them than I do, in fact his favorite is the Giganotosaurus, a dinosaur I learned existed from him.

(the hipster's T-Rex)

Now, I'll be the first to admit my memory of of the movie is a tad hazy, but from what I do remember, the movie actually follows the book quite a bit, at least up until about 2/3 of the book where either my memory is bad or the books is completely different (oh and Grant loves kids in the book, which is ... opposite). More than I would have guessed, which was not a lot.

There's a little more detail to the initial attacks we see in the movie and it's not quite as gruesome in parts (and much more gruesome in others). The girl gets attacked by the Compsognathus (little green dinos), or **"compys" as they're known. **excuse my spelling, I listened to the audio and like Fox news, I don't feel the need to fact check.

The park is just about ready to open and it's time to get all the consultants together to make sure it's on the right track. Thus, Grant and Sattler, Ian Malcolm, the attorney Jennaro, and a couple others are flown in.

Of course, nefarious doings are going on and a competitor wants in on the dinosaur action. In comes Dennis Nedry, who is pretty much spot on copied in the movie. Excellent job Wayne Knight. He's pretty much built the entire IT system for the park and thus has quite a bit of control over pretty much everything. I don't remember his involvement in the park being this extensive, but then again, I was 9. There's a frikkin' T-REX!!!

As we all know, everything goes to pot and we all know what goes from here. Even though the movie diverges from the book, we all know what goes on from here.

And it's awesome. I had a blast listening to this book and Scott Brick is such a talented narrator, you don't even notice him reading. It's just pure story.

A couple *important* things I wanted to point out... some spoilers for the book:

1. The lawyer, Jennaro, is not as spineless as in the movie, does not get eaten while he's sitting on the toilet by a T-Rex (okay, that was an awesome addition), and even saves the day at one point by pointing out law that doesn't exist. (No, this sudden support for the lawyer has nothing to do with the fact that I have an Esq. on the end of my name ... perish the thought)

2. Was Lex Murphy that annoying in the movie? I really don't remember that. She's super duper annoying in the book.

3. Ian Malcolm's Chaos Theory should have been cut down like in the movie. There are a number of times he's going off about it and you're literally thinking, aren't there dinosaurs around the corner about to eat them? Does anyone care about any theory at this time besides the theory of escaping dinosaurs? Still a great character, just weird timing of his rants about corporations and such, which I'm not disagreeing with.

(literally the only image you're allowed to use when referring to Ian Malcolm)

4. So this book was published in 1990 and this book had maybe a total of 15 to 20 people at risk, not counting the rest of the world that could potentially be at risk by dinosaurs escaping. We're talking people you're honestly worried about dying or not throughout the book.

Jump to 2015, Jurassic World, and we've got an entire park open with thousands and thousands of people at risk. Does that say something about how our society's penchant for destruction?

5. But seriously, back to Malcolm, Chaos Theory essentially comes down to - because dinosaurs are an unknown, and much like the weather - unpredictable - you're all screwed and nothing will work right. And then Malcolm gloats. Even while dinosaurs are stalking him.

Now, the opposing argument in the book is that zoos exist so why can't dinosaurs be kept in a zoo? My problem is that if everyone gave up because there was an unknown then we'd have just about nothing. People go forward with the unknown all the time. Many fail, but that's how great success comes as well. I guess I'm saying I needed more to this theory and preferably when I can think about the theory and not when DINOSAURS ARE LITERALLY AROUND THE CORNER TRYING TO EAT YOU.

6. Jurassic Park gets lots of crap for providing false ideas as to what dinosaurs actually looked like (see raptors). While it's true, if you ignore the story, it is explained. You know that whole science part toward the beginning, well they talk about only finding partial DNA and having to graft in DNA from other animals (which actually becomes a huge problem). This would lend toward dinosaurs that don't actually look like they're supposed to and I'm fine with that explanation.

I have to say, after 25 years, Jurassic Park really held up well. Lots of the communication issues would be the same problem nowadays because of the fact that they're on a remote island that cell phones would be problematic on anyway. It helps that a book doesn't have to actually reproduce computer screens so you can picture those as high tech as you want as long as you ignore the amounts of memory they mention. At least they're in the gigabytes still.

And most of this I just point out because of how into the book I was. I really had a blast listening to Jurassic Park and I can highly recommend a reading of this classic. One of the few book/movie combinations where I can honestly say I loved both for their own reasons. Now, I need to go track down a copy of that movie. If only there were some online subscription service like Oyster for movies.

4 out of 5 Stars (highly recommended)
karen
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i haven't read this book in a long, long time, but i STILL managed a fine readalike list for it over on riffle, in what be my very last riffle list ever. ):

Aishu Rehman
This book is the perfect blend of reality and imagination. I applaud Michael Crichton- this concept is solid as well as reasonable. This book includes all of the character's perspectives, which I find a little confusing at times, but does an awesome job of telling the story. There is equality of all types, as there are two strong female characters, and the book takes place on an island near Costa Rica. The only thing is that this book includes lots of gore, people and animals dying, and a single ...more
Dennis
In 1993 my parents took me on vacation to Florida. It turned out to be a quite peculiar trip. First we had an emergency landing in Neufundland, because of a hole in the airplane. One I had a pretty good look at from where I was seated. Then there was a shark alert while we were at a Miami beach. And on our visit to the Universal Studios in Orlando we passed on the Jurassic Park attraction, because none of us had ever heard about it.

The shark turned out to be a ray. And while the hole
Nandakishore Varma
What do you say about a concept that has become iconic? Jurassic Park has grown beyond Crichton's novel, into a movie, into a theme park attraction, into a thousand types of paraphernalia... In fact, it has become so popular that we forget the original work this concept came from.

I saw the movie first. It is a marvel of special effects and unbearably suspenseful. The book is nothing like that.

This novel is a serious work of science fiction. As with Crichton's other novels
Will M.
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece by Crichton. Can't believe it took me years to finally pick this one up and read it.

I watched the movie adaptation when I was a kid, so I can't really remember much of the plot other than dinosaurs gone wild, and I'm sure I remember an elevator scene. Aside from those, I had no idea what was in store for me before I read this. I wasn't hesitant on reading this, but my really long TBR list was the reason why I didn't read this sooner than I should have. All I can say is that
Vanessa J.
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Books With Chemistry

Well, everyone knows what this is about, but for this review to make sense, I’m going to suppose you all live in caves and have never heard about the existence of Jurassic Park.

Everything starts with a billionaire that wants more money. It has been discovered that extincted animals can be cloned and, in a way, brought back to life. He uses this to buy a remote island in Costa Rica and build a theme park that fclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Well,
Ashley Daviau
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little hesitant to read this book because I have such an immense love and appreciation for the movies. But I'm glad to say that I think I may have enjoyed the book MORE than the movies! Which is really saying something because Jurassic Park is one of my all time fave movies!

The only thing that stopped it from being five stars is that I found the beginning a bit slow to start. There was a lot of explanation and set up and I found it a tad boring if I'm being honest. But I can see how it
Brandon
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the movie
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Shelves: fiction, 2015, syfy
"Scientists are actually preoccupied with accomplishment. So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something."

In 1993, Steven Spielberg brought dinosaurs to life on the big screen. At the time, Jurassic Park was so immensely popular that I would be shocked to find someone today who hasn't seen it. Now, with the forthcoming release of Jurassic World, dinosaurs are all the rage again. During a routine trip to the book store, I picked up both Jurassic Park an
Veronique
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, stars-4-0
Like many, I loved the film, and indeed its sequels. Who doesn’t like dinosaurs and rip-roaring adventure? I hadn’t however read the book that started it all...

Going through the pages, I couldn’t help trying to find the scenes that I knew so well. Most are there, but indeed in a different form due to the medium, the same applying to the characters. What fun to hear Malcolm’s Chaos theories and witness Grant’s survival!

This is a compelling thriller with a brilliant theme b
AudioBookLover
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's freakin' Jurassic Park! What else is there to say? The guy who reads this does a good job. I give him and the book 5 stars.

Story *****
Audiobook *****
Dannii Elle
“Discovery is always rape of the natural world. Always.”

I have been watching the Jurassic Park movies since I was a child. I have watched and rewatched every single one so many times and have no idea why it has taken me so long to read the book the franchise was based upon. Jurassic Park is the first in Crichton's dinosaur duology but elements from the first three movies have their genesis inside this book.

This begun in quiet a different vein to the film, featuring a multitude of sm

• The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • The Martian
  • Jaws (Jaws #1)
  • The Shining (The Shining, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Time Machine
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • Starship Troopers
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The War of the Worlds
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • The Firm
  • The Pelican Brief
  • Deception Point
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Douglas and Jeffery ...more

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park #2)
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” 378 likes
“The planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us.” 346 likes