Start by marking “The Boy at the Top of the Mountain” as Want to Read:
The Boy at the Top of the Mountain

The Boy at the Top of the Mountain

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  9,062 ratings  ·  1,328 reviews
When Pierrot becomes an orphan, he must leave his home in Paris for a new life with his Aunt Beatrix, a servant in a wealthy household at the top of the German mountains. But this is no ordinary time, for it is 1935 and the Second World War is fast approaching; and this is no ordinary house, for this is the Berghof, the home of Adolf Hitler.

Quickly, Pierrot is taken under
Published October 1st 2015 by Doubleday Childrens (first published September 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy at the Top of the Mountain, please sign up.
Siobhan I would say 10+ all the way up to adults . Very accessibly written, but I think you have to understand the context (and by that I don't just mean…moreI would say 10+ all the way up to adults . Very accessibly written, but I think you have to understand the context (and by that I don't just mean factual knowledge of WWII but also emotional understanding and of the impacts on people) to really get the most out of this book.(less)
Ruyman_S In my opinion, we cannot compare both books, because they are written from different points of view. Both are cruel, but the former book is more…moreIn my opinion, we cannot compare both books, because they are written from different points of view. Both are cruel, but the former book is more scareful than the second. I saw the consequences of the power of Hitler.(less)

·  9,062 ratings  ·  1,328 reviews

Lisa
Feb 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is an unfortunate book, and I regret buying it for my son as a complement to a class novel he recently read in school, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Spending some time reading it myself now, after seeing the strange perception of history my son developed reading the above-mentioned Holocaust "fable" in school, I have decided I won't let him read this until he is old enough to discern the blatant mistakes, idiotic language, voyeuristic sensationalism, namedropping and Disneyfication of a ti
Marialyce
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some things we do as a child we are proud of. Some things we do as a child we are ashamed of. Can we learn as we grow to cover the shame and only remember the good, or are we destined to bring that shame along with us until the end of our days?

Pierrot is a young boy whose mother is French and his dad is German. Torn between the two cultures still in the throes of the recovery after The Great War, Pierrot finds himself with a father who drinks to excess filled with anger over Germany's loss in WW
Carol
Oh boy......THE BOY AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN......really surprised me.

1936 - Pierrot is such a good kid....at age seven, he doesn't even know the meaning of the word prejudice or hatred with a French mom, German pop and Jewish best buddy, but life as he knows it is soon turned upside down when he is orphaned and finds himself traveling alone by train from Paris to Austria to live with an aunt he has never met.

Meeting up with bullies....both young and old along the way....a naive Pierrot finds

Josu Grilli
¿Me ha gustado? Probablemente. ¿Me ha convencido? No. ¿Lo he disfrutado? A medias. Sí, la cosa está complicada.

El niño en la cima de la montaña era una novela que quería leer debido a lo que me había gustado El niño con el pijama de rayas. Me esperaba algo similar y al mismo tiempo que no se repitiera la fórmula, y es que justamente ha sucedido. No con un tono tan infantil e inocente, pero sí similar, y encima en la misma época... Que sí, el planteamiento es totalmente diferente, pero lo siento:
Dem
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: war, ww2

John Boyne author of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas returns with another children's novel set during The Second World War. The story is about a boy called Pierrot an orphan who must leave his home in Paris and travel to Germany to live with his Aunt Beatrix who is a servant in a house calll the Berghof at the top of a mountain.

John Boyne is a wonderful adult and Children's writter. In this Novel he tells the story the of the corruption of Innonence and the horrors of war that children can get ca
Dora Santos Marques
A minha opinião em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxMEA...

Porque é que não existem 6 estrelas? Que livro tão bom, tão maravilhoso!
Grande John Boyne que não falha!
Kayla Dawn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uff.. was ein Buch. Ich weiß gar nicht wirklich, was ich dazu sagen soll. Ich kann es nur jedem ans Herz legen.
Hans
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very moving story about a boy who meets Hitler in person. And is influenced by Hitler's thoughts and actions. Incredibly well told!
Un té con Ceres
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Una lectura corta, ágil y entretenida.
Una historia conmovedora que te remueve sentimientos y que particularmente me ha hecho enfadarme con el protagonista hasta llegar a comparecerme de él por ser una víctima más de Hitler.
Una historia donde vemos la inocencia de un niño, las influencias ideológicas y las repercusiones que estas tuvieron. Una parte de nuestra historia más reciente desde los ojos de un niño, que aunque sea ficción nos muestra la realidad que se vivió.
Si te gustó "El niño con el
Paul
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A short novel but intriguing and disturbing in equal measures.
Forget the links to Boy in the Striped Pyjamas as this is quite a different book all together , while it is set in WW2 and has the Fuhrer , the main character is very different and the book has a bit more meat to it than the simpler fable of The Boy in the striped Pyjamas. This is definitely a good thing. The predecessor is a brilliant book but trying to replicate it wouldn't have worked nearly as well.
The main character here is Pierr
❄️Nani❄️
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chilling.

I’ve yet to read a John Boyne novel and be disappointed.
Cody
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You know why people wear uniforms, don't you, Pierrot?' continued the chauffeur. The boy shook his head. "Because a person who wears one believes he can do anything he likes. He can treat others in a way he never would while wearing normal clothes. Collars, trench coats, or jackboots, uniforms allow us to exercise our cruelty without ever feeling guilt." (93)

"Do you think they are good Germans?" he asked her then. "No, that's not a sensible question. I suppose that would depend on how you defin
Rita Araújo
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Más bien un 3,5 quizá. Pronto habrá reseña en el blog.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Cognitive dissonance, my old friend.

I really hated this book but at the same time I literally could not put it down. From the very beginning I had a gut feeling it was going to make me sad. But it also made me angry. Experiencing those conflicting emotions simultaneously made me uncomfortable and I think that is, simply put, what makes Boyne's writing so compelling.

He writes about the human condition with such audacity and incisiveness, yet its also clever and engrossing. In this case we have Pi
Erik Fazekas
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Knihu som čítal už strašne dávno, ale ostala mi v pamäti jedna veta, ktorá je teraz asi najväčšmi aktuálna:

"Je naozaj také ľahké skaziť nevinného?"

Nemám, čo viac dodať... Len to, že až to vydáme v máji tohto roku, tak si to všetci prečítajte. Podľa mňa ide o oveľa silnejší príbeh ako Chlapec v pásikavom pyžame a po dočítaní som len nemo hľadel pred seba a premýšľal o knihe a príbehu...
Zesu Chan
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenía muchas ganas de leer este libro hace tiempo, y aunque no estaba en un lugar prioritario en mi lista de pendientes, lo empecé a leer para salir de un bloqueo lector. Si bien al principio fue un poco lento y no terminaba de atraparme, pasada la mitad, me lo leí de una pasada. En este libro nos cuentan la historia de Pierrot, niño medio aleman medio francés, que termina viviendo con su tía, cuando sus padres mueren, y ella es el ama de llaves en la casa de Hitler. A lo largo del libro vemos l ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
4.5/5 stars

John Boyne is the author of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, a book that showed the horror of concentration camps through the eyes of a child. In this new novel, Boyne has written a story in a similar vein (this time with more grit/violence) that shows the innocence and naiveté of childhood and how easily it can be corrupted.

This is a short novel (220-ish pages) but it's packed with a lot of food for thought as it tackles some serious issues. While this book is written for a youth audi
Bel Riddle
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leí "Epílogo" y dije: "qué raro que no me hizo llorar este libro"
...
JA!

Bueno, otro libro necesario. Súper rápido de leer; aunque te canta las cosas como eran, no te angustia, porque no te las _muestra_, y eso permite que la lectura sea fluida.
No busca redimir a los malos (no, no hablo de Hitler, hablo de otros malos, aunque a ese tampoco :p) y eso me gustó. Es una narración bastante descriptiva y si bien eso de a ratos te aleja del personaje principal, al final es buenísimo porque creeme, te
Anita Vela
Reseña completa: http://anitavelabooks.blogspot.com.es...

Es la segunda vez que leo una historia de sobre el Holocausto desde el punto de vista "nazi", todas las que he leído siempre ha sido bajo el punto de vista de una familia judía, y he de decir que me gustan más las que están narradas por judíos porque al revés me cuesta mucho empatizar con los personajes porque no entiendo cómo pudieron hacer todo lo que hicieron y puedo comprenderlos.

Y me ha gustado la historia aunque es cierto que he term
Carla Dente
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Me había olvidado de marcarlo como leído!
Me encantó demasiado♥ ya ni me acuerdo en qué mes lo leí JAJAAJJA creo que en Junio..
Jenny
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es konnte mich nicht ganz so (emotional) packen, wie "Der Junge im gestreiften Pyjama",allerdings hatte mich das ja auch so sehr umgehauen, dass es mir von Anfang an klar war,dass es schwierig würde da ranzukommen.
Dennoch halte ich auch dieses Buch von John Boyne für sehr lesenswert.
Auch hier wird wieder viel mit der kindlichen Naivität und der (vermeintlichen) Unwissenheit gespielt,jedoch entwickelt sich diese hier am Ende,im Gegensatz zu der Geschichte von "Der Junge im gestreiften Pyjama",zu
Sandra | Pixelnische
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romane
Innerhalb von rund 2,5 Stunden durchgelesen, hat mich dieses Buch mit einem sehr, sehr nachdenklichen und auch recht verstörten Gefühl zurückgelassen. Ein Buch, das man gelesen haben sollte - ebenso wie "Der Junge im gestreiften Pyjama".
Sarah Monreau
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
Für mich das beste Buch über den zweiten Weltkrieg, das ich bisher gelesen habe. Mit einer harmonischen und einfachen Sprache zieht Boyne den Leser in die damalige Welt, zeigt auf authentische Weise das Böse von damals auf und auch die Grauzonen, verschiedene und sich auch gegenseitig abstoßende Charakterzüge. Er lässt unsere Adern gefrieren und sie dann wieder auftauen, lässt uns bei Dingen zusehen, die uns wehtun und lässt uns gleichzeitig immer noch etwas Hoffnung im Herzen. Und das alles mit ...more
Os devaneios da Tim
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leituras-2016
É o 3º livro que leio de John Boyne e tenho a dizer que este é o melhor livro que li este ano e o melhor do autor. Tem uma mensagem pesada e coloca-nos na pele de Pierrot, um jovem que começa a ter interesse pela doutrina de Hitler. Segue a mesma linha do Rapaz do Pijama às Riscas, onde temos a percepção dos acontecimentos através de uma criança. Apesar de ser um livro para jovens, nós adultos devíamos lê-lo. Estou a conter-me para não vos revelar tudo... Podem contar com conversas entre Pierrot ...more
Anabel
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que me ha enganchado muchísimo y que he disfrutado por entero. Conoceremos más sobre el entorno más íntimo de Hitler y su casa de vacaciones, en cómo conseguía cambiar a un niño muy dulce e inocente en alguien que he llegado hasta odiar. Un libro que perfectamente podría ser un libro basado en hechos reales, pero es en parte y eso me ha encantado. Me ha faltado algo de más páginas, por eso le he bajado la puntuación, porque estaba disfrutando mucho del libro. El final es muy emotivo. Pr ...more
Alejandro
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Increíble el epílogo. No sé cómo no me imaginé antes el final *__*
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado, se lee con facilidad y es interesante ir viendo la transformación del protagonista, aunque me ha parecido poco profunda para lo que trataba,... o a mi no me ha llegado.
Bridget
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have had this book waiting in the tbr pile for ages. I should have read it much sooner. I really enjoyed this take on a war story. Poor Pierrot, so nieve, such a tragic start in life, his father run over by a train and then his beloved mother dies of consumption. His only friend is the little boy downstairs but his family cannot afford to take Pierrot in and so he is sent off to an orphanage. It is all pretty awful for him. Then, via a traumatic train journey, he ends up in Hitler's Berghaus o ...more
  • Like a River: A Civil War Novel
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolf Hitler
  • Freedom Ride
  • Pennies for Hitler (Hitler Trilogy, #2)
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • Escape from Syria
  • Black Radishes (Black Radishes, #1)
  • Odin's Promise (Odin's Promise, #1)
  • Steamboat School
  • The Thing about Prague: How I gave it all up for a new life in Europe's most eccentric city
  • Saree
  • A Medal for Leroy
  • Into the Killing Seas
  • Dead in the Water (World War II, #2)
  • Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal
  • Single Jewish Male Seeking Soul Mate
  • Aim (Ann Fay Honeycutt, #0.5)
John Boyne (born 30 April 1971 in Dublin) is an Irish novelist.

He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and studied Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia, where he won the Curtis Brown prize. In 2015, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by UEA.

John Boyne is the author of ten novels for adults and five for young readers, as well as a collection of short stories.

His novel
“Just don't ever tell yourself that you didn't know.... That would be the worst crime of all.” 22 likes
“Look at me Pieter", she said. He looked up tears in his eyes. "Don't ever pretend that you did not know what was going on here. You have eyes and you have ears. And you sat in that room on many occasions, taking notes. You heard it all. You saw it all. You knew it all. And you also know the things you are responsible for." She hesitated, but it needed to be said. "The deaths you have on your conscience. But you're a young man still; you're only sixteen. You have many years ahead of you to come to terms with your complicity in these matters. Just don't ever tell yourself that you didn't know." She released him now from her grip. "That would be the worst crime of all." - Herta” 5 likes