Start by marking “The River Knows” as Want to Read:
The River Knows

The River Knows

The first kiss occurred in a dimly lit hallway on the upper floor of Elwin Hastings's grand house. Louisa never saw it coming. Of course, Anthony Stalbridge couldn't possibly have had romantic intentions. The kiss was an act of desperation meant to distract the armed guard from catching the pair in a place they did not belong. After all, the only thing the two interlopers ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The River Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Knows

Start your review of The River Knows
Daniella
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The River Knows is definitely one of Ms. Quick's better written novels. The pacing was just right, and the entire story was well-planned. I admit that Anthony and Louisa didn't really stand out as leads when compared to that of Dangerous, The Paid Companion, Lie By Moonlight and Ravished, but they were still strong primary characters nonetheless. They had chemistry, and worked really well together, with each augmenting the other's strengths. After reading tons of Amanda Quick books, I know that ...more
Kathleen
Set in London towards the end of the Victorian era, when enlightened women refused to wear injurious corsets and 14 pounds of petticoats.
But she and Emma were both staunch advocates of the rational dress movement, which held that ladies should wear no more than seven pounds of underwear. As for corsets, the movement had wisely declared them to be injurious to women’s health." (So I figure we need a new movement — underwire bras hurt!).

This is a historical romance, narrated beautifully by Kather
Jacob Proffitt
This was a fun story and I liked it, but without anything truly outstanding to raise it above the average. I liked Louisa. A lot. But Anthony was kind of Victorian standard—capable, worldly, rich, and prone to falling in love with strange, bookish women.

There were a few laugh-out-loud moments (I've never laughed so hard during a love scene), but also some real groaners with the villains. And yet again, I have to say I'm beyond tired of inserting sections from the viewpoint of the villains (parti
Mara
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
I do wonder if an author can be accused of copyright infringement when she copies her own books :)
It's a pretty silly question, but it's one that keeps popping up in my mind every time I read her books. :) (Here the scene in the garden plus all those in the study... Really deja read)

Yes, she's really a formulaic kind of writer and here there were quite a few bits of the scaffolding that were visible. Nonetheless I enjoyed reading this book and I keep reading her sooo. Shame on me I guess.
At 1.
Kerstin
A year ago Joanna Barclay had to stage her own suicide in order to escape the noose, after killing a Lord in self-defence. She fashioned a new life for herself under the name of Louisa Bryce, living with the eccentric Lady Emma Ashton and working as a journalist.
Her current case is to find out the dark secrets of Mr. Hastings, who she thinks is financing a brothel. While searching the Hastings mansion for proof, she runs into Anthony Stalbridge and realizes he is after Hastings' dark secrets as
loise✨
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
my favorite (???) amanda quick novel
Iris
A pleasant somewhat run of the mill historical romance which is vastly improved by an initial sex scene that isn't entirely successful or mutually satisfying. The romance genre has a boring reliance on expecting a heroine's virginity to do the work of creating drama in sex scenes—which seems unfair— with all the patriarchy upholding work virginity is already tasked with, it's plate is full.

But at least when sexy times go bad or merely blah we can firmly place the blame on the hero because isn't
Anita
To date, this is probably the Amanda Quick book with the most riveting mystery I've read--in my personal opinion, of course.  I know a lot of other people might disagree.  But I enjoyed every moment of this book and was actually quite in love with how the entire story unfolded.  And I am always ever in love with how quickly books by this author jump right into the action, the excitement, and the intrigue.

When played right, the secret reveals in certain books work really well.  And this was one o
Andree
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This is a fairy typical Amanda Quick novel, in that it has a lot of elements she tends to use (not necessarily a criticism). A quirky family, woman more or less alone who has had to carve out her own employment, a thankfully not-that-tortured hero, a heck of a case of insta-love, a fairly loathsome set of villains...

Very little about this stands out, apart from some of the dialogue between the two leads. Them, I liked. And I liked them together, for all that it's a case of insta-love. That said,
Ririn Aziz
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Zoe
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this was very well read by the reader, I'm afraid I may have read too many books by this author. This humorless pair wasn't any different from her other heroes and heroines, and the hoops Quick jumps through the make so many of her heroines virgins masquerading as worldly women is getting on my nerves. ...more
Stephanie Williams
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
O.M.G I loved this book so much there was a lot of different angles that were being played and it all worked out perfectly. I am happy that Louisa got her happy ending... I was even more happy when Anthony n his family loved her even tho she had a big secret.
Josen
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-library
I was due for a historical romance (entwined with a murder mystery of course ;) lol) I was not disappointed. :)
Evelyn
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This is just another formulaic romantic, Victorian thriller by Amanda Quick, but I enjoy reading these. They are a great escape and a fun way to spend a few days. This one pairs Louisa, a companion to Lady Ashton, with Anthony, the son of a respected Society family. They both have secrets they are keeping from each other as they pursue the truth behind several river suicides. The Stalbridge family are eccentric as society families, but they are a refreshing change from the usual social machinati ...more
Deserthomemaker
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5 stars. The interesting thing about these later Amanda Quick books is that, while still romance novels, the mysteries are actually pretty good, and at least as important (if not more so) to the story as the romance.
Miss Manekofsky
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
What can I say...it's my version of watching one of those housewives reality TV shows... ...more
Mojca
She rose from her ashes, creating a new identity to bury her past. Now widow Louisa Bryce is an investigative reporter, searching for dirt about a prominent gentleman in Society. One evening, she’s rescued in the nick of time by another gentleman’s fiery kiss.

Anthony Stalbridge has an agenda of his own to find dirt about the prominent gentleman in Society. He suspects him of murdering his fiancée a year ago. But Anthony also has an agenda of his own about the mysterious widow.

Soon, Anthony and L
Virginia Hill
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the 24th book by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz) and subsequently the 24th that I've read. If you like one of her books, you will probably like them all. They all (if memory serves) have a darkly handsome and worldly hero and a slightly irreverent heroine, who are nearly always bespectacled. The chemistry between the two leads is always politely passionate. They get into just enough peril to make for a slightly mysterious plot, and they consistently have surprising (to the heroine) sexua ...more
Juliana Philippa
Marya Kowal
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
I like Jayne Krentz and Amanda Quick novels, and have read more than a few.

The plot was more interesting than the characters on this one, both too predictable, but certainly readable.

There seems to be a standard insert-name-here quality about the dark, brooding, and troubled Arcanely Talented hero...but he's got some good points, too, so I'm not complaining too loudly.

I wouldn't start out your Amanda Quick experience with this book, it's more of a fill-in-the-gaps of the Arcane Society novel tha
Susie
May 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I had to spend six hours in a van and ran into the library to desperately find something to listen to...which is my habit, and the only way I can make it through the long hours on the road. I thought I had grabbed a "River Runs Through It," but this is not the same material at all. It's a historical/romance, and not my normal reading material, but it kept me awake and had a rather funny sex scene. It was entertaining, and I guess, at its basic premise, that's what books are all about. ...more
Emmalg
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the last Amanda Quick book I read annoyed me, I thought it might be a while before I read another but getting to the library at closing time I ended up grabbing a few books almost at random.
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the plot and some of the surprises it presented. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Amanda Quick's books are the strong, independent heroines. I think Louisa may be one of my favourites.
Lurdes
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I misread the review for this book and assumed it was a mystery with a love story tied in. Instead, I got a Victorian romance novel with a mystery plot. It followed the general romance formula: a couple of steamy petticoat-and-corset scenes, with a few cute murder-in-Polite-Society twists. Not bad for cotton candy for the brain, and certainly a light enough read to start off summer.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
I find it hard to believe that the same author of Ravished and Dangerous had penned this.

Very slow and lacking read.Couldn't really relate to the characters.
Jessica Meyers
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, reviewed

There wasn't really anything "wrong" with this book. The characters were likable enough and solving the mystery was kind of fun. However, I felt like there just wasn't that extra spark. It was definitely one of those books that you just trudge through cause it's not horrible to read and it's something to do.
Steph
May 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
Despite the stilted language, and very predictable romance, I muddled through to about the hundredth page in search of a surprise. Instead I reached a truly ludicrous sex scene, which made me slam shut the book, and say "That's enough. Next!" ...more
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I don't know why, but when I start an Amanda Quick book, I'm always surprised to find that her heroine are charmingly, frustratingly obtuse when they talk to the hero. It always makes me laugh and then I seem to forget how much I enjoy her heroines until I pick up the next book. ...more
Julie
Aug 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction-generic
I found the dialogue flat, and the writing in general not at all compelling. The story itself was ok, but I don't think I'll be reading any more by Amanda Quick. I guess it's just not my style. ...more
Jane (PS)
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I enjoyed this read - not as much as 'Mischief' but still a worthwhile time-waster!! ...more
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A quick and easy read with some light hearted moments. Another good book by the author
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The River Knows (2007) 1 4 Sep 27, 2012 12:24PM

• Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Family Man
  • Hidden Talents
  • Falling Awake
  • Flash
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • All Night Long
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Trust Me
  • Light in Shadow (Whispering Springs, #1)
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • Obsidian Prey (Ghost Hunters, #6)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz