Start by marking “Snow” as Want to Read:
Snow

Snow (Weather)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Join a boy and his grandfather as they enjoy a snow day in the park!

Every child loves a snow day—no school and snowball fights galore! But Sam has to wait for Granddad, even though all the other kids have already gone to the park . . . and all the dogs . . . and all the zoo animals! Only when the two finally arrive does Granddad see why Sam was in such a hurry—and they hav
Published October 13th 2015 by Templar (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow

Pat
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Spot-on description of a boy's impatience, but the story is derailed by the snowball fight with the zoo animals. Clever illustrations.
Pamela
This was a very strange book. The boy in the story is cranky that his grandfather doesn't do a jig all the way to get out in the snow right away, but then there are escaped zoo animals in the park, so it's all good.

What?
Diane
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cover and illustrations are amazing, almost multi dimensional. Narrated by a young boy who wakes up to a rainy day and can't wait to go outside and play. His granddad thinks they should stay indoors until the rain stops, but the boy is persistent, waiting for the opportunity for new adventures outdoors. Overall, a beautifully illustrated and engaging rainy day adventure that is sure to please little ones in the 2-6 age range. This book is #2 of a seasonal series that began with "Snow". (5/5 ...more
Jensen Little Free Library
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book as a gift to myself for the holidays. I love illustrated books. And this one does not disappoint. I could stare at the illustrations all day since we don't have snow here in Florida.
Lynn
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Catching up with this first book after reading and loving Rain. Some things are worth waiting for ;-)

I especially loved the illustrations of the snow play.
Rebecca
A complete delight! I don't know Sam Usher, but I'm a new fan. His loose, Quentin-Blake-esque illustrations perfectly capture the energy of a young boy excited about the snowfall and his much more patient grandfather.
Vicki
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
Simple text, large illustrations and a so so story.
Rainey
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The perfect short read aloud for a snow day.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't one of my favorite children's books, but it was a wonderful book. The illustrations are very, very nice. They capture what is going on with the story, but don't have extra cluttering illustrations.

But the thing I liked most about the story was the fact that this little boy who wanted to go play in the fresh snow cajoles his grandfather - not a mother or a father - to take him. I really like books that reflect modern family relationships. The story does not give any mention to a m
Joanna And
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-lb
Little LB loves the embossed cover... she slides her fingers across the penguin’s footprints and talks about how it feels. She is only 2 years old, so books that say a lot with fewer words and detailed illustrations capture her attention. She is in love with the page that says “before anyone else” and shows a big yard full of undisturbed white snow, which appeals to me too as a native Buffalonian. A lot of the story is told through the illustrations, which is perfect for developing the imaginati ...more
Lori
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
ES Librarian review: I don't know why, it's such a simple book with such a weird ending, but I loved it and think I'll use it in a lesson next winter. It tells a story of a kid who can't wait for his grandpa to get ready to take him out in the snow, and by the time they get outside a bunch of random animals from the zoo appear? That part annoyed me a little bit for some reason, but I know my kids will think it's silly and funny, and for that reason I'm giving it 4 stars.
Nele Handwerker
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ich liebe die Serie zum Wetter. Es hat geschneit und der kleine Junge will hinaus, um die ersten Spuren zu hinterlassen. Doch Opa braucht noch eine Weile. Als sie im Park ankommen, werden Opas Worte wahr. Alle Zootiere haben sich zur Schneeballschlacht versammelt.
Stephanie Croaning
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
The covers of the books in this seasons series are phenomenal. I love the indents on the cover that match the marks left by people walking in the snow.
Joy Keil
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clara
I can relate. Quick! Get out in the crisp, clean, unblemished snow! But...even if not fast enough, being out is wonderful.
Great book. My toddler also really enjoyed it and it held her interest.
RhiannaH
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story about a boy and his Grandad enjoying the snow. The underlying messages is cleverly portrayed throughout the story and can be adapted and applied to suit many situations.
Kim
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I like how Usher captured the boy's impatience. The storyline with the animals threw me off.
Brenda Kahn
Our little guy has to wait for grandpa yet again. This time, it has snowed and he understandably wants to get out there before it's all ruined. Didn't love it as much as Rain.
Sylvia
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A fun read! Joyful, light and sweet and full of interesting snowfall fun. For all ages, both young and old.
Virginia
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated and produced book! I wasn't sure about the ending though.
Cindy Dobrez
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Lynn, for sharing this book and Rain with me. I love them both. Intergenerational story, wild imagination, and the refrain of "some things are worth waiting for" illustrated beautifully. Can we have LEAVES next? or SUNSHINE? I'm ready.
Luisa Knight
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ooh, ooh! Pick this one - you think it's just a normal little story about a boy and playing in the snow, but it's not. There's another element that will surprise the socks right off your feet. Your kids will gobble it up!

Ages: 3 - 7

#winter

Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean
Kelly
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book for some reason. I think I liked the peacefulness and idea that things are worth waiting for and that waiting isn't a bad thing. Good things come to those who wait and all that cheesiness. This book just gave me a really good feeling.
Mehsi
This is a combined review for Snow and Rain. Why? Because both books follow the same formula. It is *insert raining or snowing*, kid wants to go outside, grandpa is grumpy and takes ages, finally they go outside and then stuff happens.
Still I didn't mind the repetitiveness, since the illustrations were gorgeous, and I just wanted to see what would happen when they finally would go outside. When they would finally go out in the rain or in the snow. What would they encounter and find?

I also tagge
Amy
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for School Library Journal 9/1/2015

PreS-Gr 2—A young boy wakes up to find the world covered in pure, white snow. Frantic to go outside, he gets dressed in record time only to discover that Granddad isn't ready! Mundane adult tasks, such as showering and getting the proper clothing on, delay his longed-for departure. His panic builds as he watches the blanket of virgin snow get trampled by a single child, followed by a crowd of friends, and then a pack of dogs. Growing ever more frustrat
Mary Alice
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Story of a boy and his grandfather in the snow. Beautiful illustrations!
Leilah Skelton
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freshly fallen snow is a blank canvas to be marked by evidence of play, right? When we are first shown the fast blankness beyond his front door, cleverly non-illustrated by Sam Usher, we feel the young boy’s desperation to get outside.

As the route to the park past his door is churned up by ever more feet, the boy’s frustrated eagerness is contrasted by his grandfather’s calm, unhurried nature. There are some subtly layered lessons here about age, energy, preparedness, and patience. The vibrancy
Eva Kelly
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Boy, even the COVER of this one was good. When you put your finger on the penguin's footprints, you can feel them going down in the snow. That's creative!
This one had a real lazy grandpa who kept poking around, and I just wanted to yell "COME ON ALREADY! GET OUTSIDE BEFORE IT MELTS!"
But they did, and guess what? There was a huge ZOO at the park, with monkeys and lions and an ELEPHANT. And it never snows in Africa, so they HAD to be confused.
Grandpa Marty would probably poke around like that, bu
Hilary
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
It’s a snow day! No school! Snowball fights and frosty fun are just on the other side of the door! But Sam must wait for Granddad to join him before he can venture out into the winter wonderland. Will the fun be over before Sam and Granddad take part in it?

Usher captures young Sam’s impatience and excitement, heightened by delayed gratification. It all seems like “hurry up and wait,” to Sam who is eager to take part in making snow forts, snow angels, and snow balls. When Granddad is (finally) re
Barbara
As is the case for many youngsters, the narrator is thrilled to awaken to a fresh snowfall, and he cannot wait to get outside and enjoy it. But his grandfather is so slow in his preparations that they miss the chance to be the first ones out there. By the time they arrive at the park, the whole zoo literally is having fun playing games and playing in the snow. Who knew that zoo animals would make such great companions in building snowmen and having snowball fights? Young readers will enjoy the t ...more
Jtimko

A young boy pesters his Granddad to hurry so they can be first to arrive at the park on a pristine snow day. Unfortunately, things do not go as planned but in the end turn out to be better than expected.
Who doesn’t want to be the first person to set foot on the first snowfall of the year? This story describes just that feeling with simple text and lovely ink and watercolor illustrations. The reader will be begging Granddad to hurry just as the little boy did. However, a simple comment made by Gr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • Snowman's Story
  • The Snow Rabbit
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Outside
  • Secret Tree Fort
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • Skunk on a String
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Lizard from the Park
  • Once Upon a Northern Night
  • Mother Bruce
  • Bear and Squirrel Are Friends . . . Yes, Really!
Sam Usher’s first book, Can You See Sassoon?, was long-listed for the Kate Greenaway Medal. He is also the author and illustrator of Snow, Rain, and Sun, the companion books to Storm, the first of which was long-listed for the Kate Greenaway Medal. He lives in England.
More about Sam Usher