Start by marking “13 Days of Midnight” as Want to Read:
13 Days of Midnight

13 Days of Midnight (13 Days of Midnight #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  871 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
When Luke Manchett’s estranged father dies unexpectedly, he leaves his son a dark inheritance: a Host of eight unique, powerful, and restless spirits. Unfortunately, Luke has no clue how to manage them, which the ghosts figure out pretty quickly. Armed with only his father’s indecipherable notes and a locked copy of The Book of Eight, Luke struggles to adapt to his new rol ...more
Published August 25th 2015 by Candlewick Press (first published February 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 13 Days of Midnight, please sign up.
Valary it has a slow start and then takes off running; I am 74 pages in and sucked in.

Eric Novello
Tradução terminada! Falta a revisão.
É um young adult... de terror! Escocês.
E o autor é uma figura. Se você gosta da ambientação de espíritos, pactos, livros com feitiços, é bem provável que você curta. Quando o livro for publicado aqui no Brasil, escrevo uma resenha digna.
Marta Álvarez
3.5
El argumento es interesante y está bien desarrollado, al igual que la voz de su protagonista, Luke. Aunque se echa en falta alguna subtrama que le de una vuelta de tuerca a la historia, [i]13 días a medianoche[/i] es una curiosa mezcla de terror e ironía a la que merece la pena dar una oportunidad.
Cielbert
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

GUYS! 2ND BOOK is tentatively called EIGHT RIVERS OF SHADOW!

description

AWESOME STORY! I'M OUT OF WORDS RIGHT NOW.
FULL REVIEW COMING SOON.
Donita Luz
This review is also available here.
"I am an alpha male with testosterone leaking out of my sweat glands. Ham, my loyal and subservient pack member, is looking to me for guidance in this situation."
Reading Thirteen Days of Midnight was a blast, pretty good for a debut novel! Last time I read about necromancer.. Well, let us just say that the experience wasn't so good that I'd rather not reminisce, but in this book I'm happy to say that I had a great reading experience.

Luke Manchett, is an ord
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This review and others can be found on my blog: Book Blog Bird

The title of this book should really be, Why You Should Never Sign Things Without Reading The Fine Print...

Luke Manchett lives just outside a small town in the north of England. He plays on the school rugby team, has a mum who believes in healing crystals and he harbours a huge crush on one of the girls at his school. When he receives a letter one day to tell him that his absentee father has sadly passed away, he is sad but not devast
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent, parent with an illness, animal cruelty.

A colleague recommended this to me as the start to a really enjoyable paranormal trilogy. And maybe I've read more paranormal trilogies than her, but oof.

This was just...boring, to be honest. And it shouldn't have been. Like, it's about a sixteen year old boy who inherits a shit ton of money and eight ghosts from his newly dead estranged father. That should be a sure-fire hit. Instead, it took Luke about half the book t
Liviania
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Luke Manchett's father left him and his mother. Luke hasn't even spoken to him in years. However, he has just received news of his father's death - and a rather large inheritance. Tempted by the money, Luke doesn't pay too much attention to the papers he's signing. But then the ghosts start showing up.

I thoroughly enjoyed 13 DAYS OF MIDNIGHT. There's a nice balance of horror and humor. I found Luke sometimes frustrating, since he takes a ridiculous amount of time to clue into the danger he's in.
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

3.5 stars. Entertaining and somewhat funny at times, while still conveying a sense of danger—alright, maybe not terribly frightening per se for me, as I don't frighten easily when reading books, but I think it has the right potential nonetheless. Half the Host at least was creepy in more ways than one, from the Shepherd with his glasses to the Prisoner with his shears... and even the Innocent, for the questions he raised (wh
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

13 Days of Midnight is an enjoyable thrill ride through the world of Luke Manchett, a boy who is about to become a necromancer even though he didn't know that those existed. It is classified as a young adult novel and it has enough teen angst and non-graphic violence for that to be true, but I enjoyed it on its own merits, which is something that not all YA books have going for them.

The best part about Hunt'
Amber
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Luke is 16 years old and has to care for his mom who is very ill with his dog Ham. When his father passes away and he inherits money as well as a Host of malevolent ghouls, Luke doesn't know what to do. Can he learn to control his father's ghoulish Host before the leader of the ghouls known as the Shepard helps them to break free of their service from him and cause chaos on Halloween night? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read for Leo Hunt's first ever book that I disco
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed this book a lot. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I turned out to. Different to books I've read before and I look forward to seeing where the story goes in the sequel!
Nery
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 más bien.
El principio se me hizo lento, pero luego coge mucho ritmo y es adictivo.
Elza y Luke son OTP.
Nada más que añadir, pronto reseña en mi blog e.e
Karen Barber
3.5 stars would be more like it, but this wasn't what I expected.
The novel begins quite slowly. Luke Manchett discovers his father-a television star famous for his necromancy skills-has died. He will inherit his father's fortune if certain conditions are met. Unfortunately, Luke signs his acceptance of these conditions without reading the finer details and ends up with a lot more than he bargained for.
Luke's gradual realisation that his father has handed over control of eight ghosts determined t
Dani
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fic, supernatural
THIS WAS NOT SCARY AT ALL. What the hell. How do you have a story about suddenly having eight pissed-off ghosts tethered to your existence, and have it be completely not at all scary ??!??!? And one of them is a flaming skeleton! Who burns for all eternity and endlessly recites the Lord's Prayer in Latin! How ??

There was just no scary in this book whatsoever!

I don't get it!

I'm not sure why I still felt compelled to know what happens.

I mean, other than the complete and total absence of scariness,
Arif Zulkifli
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating, 3.5 stars. A slow start, then it became very fast-paced, but when it reached the end, it became slow again.

Anyhow, quite decent read for me.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Been reading it for four days and nope, can't do it. DNF'ing at 80%
Scottsdale Public Library
When Luke Manchett’s TV exorcist father dies, he gains an inheritance more otherworldly than he could ever imagine. As a horror fan, I enjoy tales of ghosts and black magic, and I found this one to be a stand-out among the teen-level fare. The characters behave realistically even in unreal situations, and the emotional core of the story was solid, whether it dealt with Luke’s relationships with his mother, his friends and Elza or with the lingering trauma left by his absentee father. The ghosts ...more
Anita
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siempre me han gustado las historias de miedo lo que hace que a estas alturas cueste encontrar algo que me asuste, estoy bastante inmunizada a lo que vampiros y seres sobrenaturales se refiere, por lo que 13 días a Medianoche ha tenido un reto conmigo. Acabado el libro, no puedo decir que me haya asustado especialmente pero si que debo reconocer que la ambientación del autor me ha encantado y la historia ha acabado siendo bastante original, pese a tener algunos factores que me han resultado poco ...more
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
13 días a medianoche es una novela de fantasía paranormal juvenil que desborda originalidad y entretenimiento que me ha convertido automáticamente en un fan de Leo Hunt.
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Nicole
Great book. love the characters in it
Matilda Chapman
This had a lot of potential. The premise of the book was insanely good and the first half of it was excellent.

HOWEVER. The plot twists were too predictable, the main character was sort of an arse and it felt like it dragged on way too long but the main plot was wrapped up in a couple of pages. It was kind of confusing as to what Leo Hunt intended with it.

I would definitely read the next one because the author's writing style did remind me of Rick Riordan's which is always a good thing. Fingers
John Milne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For about half of this book, I wasn't entirely sure if I liked it or not. I think my initial problem was that it was such an original idea for a novel; one that I hadn't really come across before. It was a bit odd if I'm being honest! I left it for a while and picked it up again a few days ago, but this time I was completely hooked. Maybe it as down to me being more into reading at the moment, I'm not sure!

The writing style reminds me a bit of a cross between Rick Riordan and Suzanne Collins, wh
Jake
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it had magic and ghosts. There are 8 spirits that make up the Manchett host. The names of these spirits are the Vigil, the Prisoner, the Judge, the Shepherd, the Heretic, the Innocent, the Oracle and last but not least, the Fury, the most evil of them all. Luke and the odd witchlet, Erza, have exactly 13 days to release the Manchett host and save his mother. I like the part when Luke is kicked out of his body and has to possess his dog. Correction...his dumb, but cute, ...more
Jamie-Lee Turner
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally published on:

A fantastic debut from Leo Hunt filled with mystery, madness and the macabre!

Luke Manchett is your average teenager, well, as average as you can be with a non-existent father who dabbles in things he shouldn’t i.e the dead. Upon his father’s death, Luke discovers just how far his eager hands had delved into the macabre world of deadside and its inhabitants through his father’s lawyer – Mr Berkley.

A few inheritance pa
Hazel
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This eBook was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Thirteen Days of Midnight
is the slightly lighthearted, young adult novel by Leo Hunt set in contemporary Northeast England. Luke Manchett is an average sixteen-year-old boy who mostly cares about his reputation as a member of the school rugby team, and attracting the attention of his crush, Holiday Simmon. However, his life drastically changes on discovering that his absent, psychic exorcist, of a father has
L.E.Olteano
Review originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Jul 1 2015:

In a Flutter: A fun, well-executed read!

Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: I very much enjoyed the Dunbarrow, England setting, though it came through mostly via the “fitting in rules”. The paranormal elements were super fun, necromancer, ghosts, deals with the Devil, and the man himself making a fun appearance or two
Characters: Luke, the MC, was a really fun 16 yo young man. I liked how he took care of his mother when she needed
Lauraelisabeth (fashion-by-the-book)
When Luke's father dies, he expects to inherit money or books or something. Instead, he inherits a handful of ghost, suppose to serve him but instead they strive to end his life. Working with school oddball, Elza, Luke has to find a way to get rid of the ghost before they get rid of him.

This book, to my surprise, was actually pretty good. I expected a weak, unoriginal book, but it had an original plot and characters that I grew to like.

The plot was totally original, at least to me. It was paran
Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

An ok read, is how I would sum '13 Days of Midnight'. going by the gritty cover, the synopsis, the much hype and the many positive reviews this book had been getting, I expected maybe a bit too much. The plot wasn't that bad and the premise is very intriguing too but at most it felt like a cheesy been-there-done-that Halloween read.The characters took their time but only after first of the chapters did I start to appreciate them
Rose
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Sixteen year old Luke Manchett is a popular kid at school. He plays rugby, hangs out with all the right people, and as a bonus the most popular girl in the school likes him. When his father, the well known Dr. Horatio Manchett dies and leaves Luke everything, Luke discovers that all is not as it seems. he gets dragged into a world of ghosts and necromancy and someone is always watching, waiting for his next move, counting on his mistakes.

I enjoyed reading this book, and the idea is grea
Jami
Oct 26, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015, horror, young-adult
The 13 Days of the title occur between the day Luke signs for an inheritance from his recently deceased and long-time estranged father, a flamboyant television ghost hunter, and Halloween. Luke’s inheritance is a complete Host of 8 ghosts each with a title and assigned duties. The ghosts are none-too-happy to have been bond by Luke’s father and take advantage of Luke’s naivette to run amok. It is up to Luke to learn a crash course in necromancy in order to get the ghosts under control.

While the
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count 6 17 May 01, 2017 07:20PM
YA Book Buzz Book...: 13 Days of Midnight by Leo Hunt (November 2015) 1 7 Aug 30, 2015 07:06AM
  • Wolf's Bane (Demimonde, #3)
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • A Magic Dark and Bright (The Asylum Saga, #1)
  • This Broken Wondrous World (Man Made Boy, #2)
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 9
  • The Devil in the Corner
  • Incite (Ignite, #2)
  • Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
  • Daylight Saving
  • Life After Dane
  • Forest of Whispers (Forest of Whispers, #1)
  • The Thorn and the Sinking Stone
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • The Mark of Cain
  • Darkness Rising (Legends of Marithia, #2)
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • Waiting For Gonzo
I'm the best riter
More about Leo Hunt

13 Days of Midnight (3 books)
  • Eight Rivers of Shadow
  • Seven Trees of Stone

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The first thing that happens is I unseal an envelope and Dad’s death falls out onto the breakfast table.” 0 likes