Start by marking “Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon (Tales from Deckawoo Drive #2)” as Want to Read:
Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon (Tales from Deckawoo Drive #2)

Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon

(Tales from Deckawoo Drive #2)

Deckawoo Drive’s intrepid Animal Control Officer meets her match—or does she? A funny, heartfelt, and fast-paced romp from the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature.

Francine Poulet is the greatest Animal Control Officer in Gizzford County. She hails from a long line of Animal Control Officers. She’s battled snakes, outwitted squirrels, and stared down a bear. "
Published August 25th 2015 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Francine Poulet Meets the Ghost Raccoon

Calista
A great story about facing your fears. You get thrown off your horse, you have to get back up again, or you fall off a roof and you have to get back up again.

Francine is afraid of nothing until one day she learns what fear is. It stops her from doing her job and she walks away from what she loves. Luckily, there is Frank who pesters her into being the genuine article. She faces her fears and becomes better at her job.

This is so well told and has all the fun of the Mercy Watson series. Kate neve
Tanja
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chn-fantasy
Kate DiCamillo is simply a master storyteller. No matter whether reading one of her novels or a beginning chapter book like this one, her words touch and warm the reader's heart. Her characters are always so well drawn and unique, yet so easy to relate to with all their strengths and weaknesses, with their joys and sorrows. I appreciate that Kate DiCamillo trusts her young readers with sophisticated vocabulary, awakening a curiosity for the beauty of language while telling an entertaining story. ...more
Henry Martin
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Every time I read one of the Tales from Deckawoo Drive, I cannot help to smile. These books are not just funny, but also serious at the same time.

DiCamillo does a great job depicting the power of a child's wonder, and depicting how adult fears can change the course of one's life. Of course, the returning cast of characters is always appreciated, with the predictable personalities and outlooks.

Great illustrations, original story line, and pure joy to read aloud to a younger reader.

Peggy
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The moral of the story: Remember who you are and be brave.
Heather
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: j-books
For some idiotic and irrational reason this book pissed me off. What happened to the raccoon? Why did it need to be captured in the first place? Did they take it to an animal rehab like Second Chances Wildlife? Or return it to the woods somewhere safe? Did they euthanize it? GOD, I've read too many kids books, I'M LOSING MY MIND. But really, I am way more concerned about this raccoon and it's whereabouts now. I'm terribly concerned about this raccoon and that wasn't even the point of the book...
Elizabeth S
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I suppose these books may not be as engaging for readers not already familiar with the characters on Deckawoo Drive. Possibly. But this new series is so fun, cute, and full of charm, it is surely unlikely. I think anyone would enjoy these.
La Coccinelle
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This, the second book in the Tales from Deckawoo Drive series, was a bit of a disappointment for me. While it had some amusing moments (and plenty of Kate DiCamillo's fabulous use of words), I just couldn't get all that invested in the story, which is mainly about overcoming fear.

Francine Poulet, the animal control officer, attends a call for a screaming raccoon. Things go badly, and her confidence is shaken. It takes Frank, a little boy who lives on Deckawoo Drive, to remind Francine of her ski
Pop Bop
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
To Whom Do I Give This Book?

This is the second book in DiCamillo's Deckawoo Drive series, which is itself a spin-off from the Mercy Watson series. Some familiar characters make appearances, but this book is perfectly fine as a stand alone.

SPOILER. Francine Poulet is the best Animal Control Officer in the county. But she has a panic attack while trying to capture a raccoon on a rooftop, suffers a nasty fall with serious injuries, loses all confidence in herself, and quits her job. She is coaxed b
Laela
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Francine Poulet is a very self assured woman until she meets a raccoon that shakes her confidence.

Before we begin I must tell you I liked Leroy Ninker better. The vocabulary in this book is going to challenging for most readers. There are more questions then answers in the plot.

However it has all the character qualities I want in a DiCamillo book. The illustrations make me want to turn the page so I can see what else is going to happen. I get to check in with some on my favorite characters who
Adam
Kate DiCamillo`s words are the best words. ...more
Luann
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Somehow I didn't hear about this series when it first came out. I'm so glad to have found out about it now! The first in the series, Leroy Ninker Saddles Up, left me with questions at the end, and I thought it was just okay. Luckily, that didn't happen with Francine Poulet! What a great story, with an important lesson to teach, and a screaming raccoon! I look forward to reading the next two in the series very soon.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomly-reading
This second story from Deckawoo Drive (Leroy Ninker Saddles Up was the first), young readers meet Francine Poulet, the fearless and fearsome animal control officer. Following in her father and grandmother's footsteps, Francine is a first class animal control officer, in fact, she's won 47 animal control trophies, more than anyone else.

Since nothing scars Francine, when she receives an hysterical call from Mrs. Bissinger that there was a most unusual raccoon living on her roof and tormenting her
Becky B
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Francine Poulet is the premier Animal Control Officer in the land. She isn't afraid of anything. That is until she meets a raccoon who screams her name while charging her on a steep roof. The experience shakes Francine to the core and causes her to question her calling. But with the help of one little boy, she finds the courage to face her defeat and fear head on.

I know, I'm reading this one out of order, but that didn't affect the story much at all. Love the way Van Dusen's illustrations superb
SheAintGotNoShoes
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kate DiCamillo is my favorite children/tween book storyteller of authors from the last 25 years along with Roald Dahl - Bev Cleary, Judy Blume and Frances Lattimore were my favorites as a kid in the 60s and early 70s.

She is so different from other writers in that she is far more of a story teller than just a writer of stories, which are two different things.

I first discovered her when I saw the film ' Because of Winn Dixie ' then read the book, she had me hooked and I have been a fan of hers eve
Mary
I got a kick out of this book and loved the illustrations. I tried the first in the Deckawoo series --Leroy Ninker Saddles Up, but didn't like it enough to continue beyond a dozen pages, which is rare for me. In any case, now that I get the idea of the humor and style of the series, I might try it again. Someday. But right now, because Francine is the only book I've put in my early chapter book category and I enjoyed it, I'm giving it 5 stars!
Sheri S.
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely not up to the caliber of some of DiCamillo's other books (like Because of Winn-Dixie or Tale of Despereaux). It was slightly interesting and a bit amusing but I found it overall very mediocre. The story line was not super strong and the characters were alright. However, it does have an overall theme of perseverance which was good.
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
DiCamillo is hit & miss w/ me. This one I like a lot, because the philosophic bits are explored concisely, lightly, and within context of fun story.

I wouldn't mind knowing the characters better, but I don't think I will bother to go back and read the Mercy Watson books (I think I did read one, once, and iirc I wasn't impressed).
Annina Luck
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Francine Poulet is a wonderful character. I loved the writing and the distinctive voices of the characters. The illustrations are also excellent.
Veronica
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good, but much longer than the few Mercy Watson books we have read and perhaps more suitable for a little older. P enjoyed it though.
Sarah Levy
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DiCamillo is brilliant!
Miss Sarah
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A early chapter book set in the Mercy Watson universe. In this one the local animal warden has her confidence shaken by a testy raccoon. Can she learn to do her job again? Elementary and up
Sue Edwards
Francine Poulet may very well be the greatest animal control officer that Gizzford county has ever seen. She’s stared down a bear and won forty-seven trophies. One day she even helped locate a certain porcine wonder (for those of you who remember her from the Mercy Watson books).

One day she gets a call about a super, scary raccoon. This isn’t an ordinary raccoon and the caller, Mrs. Bissingers is convinced that this raccoon is something else. It might even be a ghost. How else can you explain th
Sandy
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am working my way through the three books available thus far in the Deckawoo Drive series, and I am loving them. One thing that stands out about them to me is the rich language, well developed storylines, and strong characters. These books would be absolutely perfect for teaching students about character traits and character contrasts/contradictions. Not to mention, I am certain they would make for excellent read alouds.

Francine Poulet is a renowned animal control officer who comes from a lon
Angela Jett
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Summary

Francine Poulet is a top notch animal control officer. She has been awarded 47 trophies and is the Gizzford County record holder for the most animals controlled. She comes from a family of brave, fearless animal catchers. One day she receives a phone call about a shimmering, name screaming raccoon. Francine goes to check it out, and to her disbelief, there was the shimmering raccoon yelling "Fraaaannnnyyyyyy!" For the first time, in her career of animal catching, Francine is scared. This
Courtney Umlauf
Francine Poulet is an accomplished animal control officer with forty-seven trophies to her name. She knows exactly who she is: brave, solid, "the genuine article" as her father called her. But when Francine encounters a screaming, gleaming raccoon, she is shaken. Can she regain her courage and remember who she truly is?

I love that there are authors creating (and publishers willing to publish) children's literature that doesn't shy away from sophisticated writing and advanced vocabulary. DiCamill
Amy
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlets
E loves this one. A bit better than Leroy I think, plus we're introduced to some other residents from Deckawoo Drive that we know from Mercy Watson.
Ms. Yingling
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Francine is the daughter and granddaughter of animal control officers, and is the most decorated officer in the history of the department. When she gets a call about a ghost raccoon on Mrs. Bissinger's roof that is screaming Mrs/ Bissinger's name, she goes on the call with her trademarked determination and lack of fear. When the call doesn't end with her capturing the raccoon, but with her falling and sustaining injuries so severe that she ends up in the ho
Hal Schrieve
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bridge-books
Building on to her acclaimed Mercy Watson series of books for young readers, DiCamillo takes the reader on a brief, suspenseful adventure with Francine Poulet, an animal control officer who is proud of her level head. When Francine encounters a raccoon that seems to be screaming her name and which might be a ghost, she panics, falling from a roof and landing in a hospital. As she doubts herself, Francine hands in her resignation. It takes a local boy who knows the whereabouts of the raccoon to r ...more
Diane
"It's good to know who you are."

Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet is the most successful Animal Control Officer in Gizzford County. Animal control is in her blood. She is the daughter of Clement Poulet, animal control officer, and the granddaughter of Nanette Poulet, animal control officer. She is confident in who she is and what she does and “Nothing frightened Francine Poulet, and nothing surprised her either.”

Until the day Mrs. Bissinger called about the raccoon. Mrs. Bissinger says it i
Jenny
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Kate DiCamillo is one of our favorite authors but we didn't "get" this newest story of hers.

One kid left part way through the reading and when we finished GHOST RACCOON other two were confused. "What happened to the raccoon?" "Why was the raccoon on the roof?" "Why did the raccoon scream like a banshee?"

The basic plot of the book is that an animal catcher completely loses her sense of worth and purpose when she suffers a setback and must regroup and overcome the obstacle (i.e. capture the frea
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park (Lulu, #1)
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • Into the Wild: Yet Another Misadventure (A Chicken Squad Adventure #3)
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1)
  • A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake
  • Starring Jules: As Herself (Starring Jules, #1)
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • Jelly Bean (Shelter Pet Squad, #1)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After

Tales from Deckawoo Drive (4 books)
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln? (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #3)
  • Eugenia Lincoln and the Unexpected Package (Tales from Deckawoo Drive #4)
“Franny, you are the genuine article. You are solid. You are certain. You are like a refrigerator. You hum.” 0 likes