Start by marking “Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)

Ex-Isle

(Ex-Heroes #5)

It is an easy thing to rule by fear.

Its been years since the tidal wave of ex-humans washed over the world. Since then, thanks to St George and his fellow heroes, the community known as the Mount has been the last known outpost of safety, sanity, and freedom left to humanity.

But even for the Mount, survival still balances on a razors edgeand after a disaster decimates
Published February 2nd 2016 by Broadway Books (first published February 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Ex-Isle, please sign up.
Charles In an July, 2016 interview with UnboundWorlds, Clines is quoted as saying, I cant see it going past seven, but who knows?…moreIn an July, 2016 interview with UnboundWorlds, Clines is quoted as saying, I can’t see it going past seven, but who knows?(less)

Start your review of Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of LOST, FRINGE and JJ Abrams
Peter Clines is on my Underrated Authors List

description

His books tend to be a great blend of pop culture humor, suspense, action and just flat out weirdness at times. Ive said this before and Ill say it again he really gives me a J.J. Abrams kind of vibe and I love it.

The Ex-Heroes series is a really cool Superheroes meets Zombies mash up and I totally love it. Im not even a huge fan of superhero or zombie books but these totally speak to me. Probably because they remind me a little of the feelings I
Gavin
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This had a lot more going on than the previous instalment in the Ex-Heroes series and as a result was even better. Clines stories usually have an issue with fading a bit towards the end, but this one stayed pretty strong all the way through.

The story was sort of split into three parts. Barry, St George, and Corpse Girl were on an a Star Trek style away mission( If Clines can use so many cool TV show references then so can I!) to make contact with a new colony of people that Barry spotted living
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/02/29/b...

This is probably my favorite book of the series so far! Ex-Isle, the fifth book in the Ex-Heroes series (which I like to describe to others as Superheroes meets The Walking Dead) brings things back on track. Ive never felt more energized about these books than I do now.

The story takes us back to the Mount, a film studio in Hollywood that the survivors of zombocalypse has converted into a fortress to keep out the hordes of
Rachel Noel
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two days. For two days, I had no interest in any other hobby or book. I was tempted to call in sick so I could just read. That's how good this book is!

I've never hidden the fact that Clines' writing style always gets me feeling amped up. He is incredibly talented at combining action and gore with hope and geeky humor. He writes amazing build-up and battles. The best part is, he is also able to surprise me, all while giving me all the clues that I've needed to figure out what
David
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lost fans, mermen, super-soldiers who need vitamins, mecha pilots with PTSD
Peter Clines "Ex-Heroes" series has remained consistently entertaining popcorn genre fiction, full of in-jokes, pop culture references, and every superhero/zombie trope Clines can fit into the story.

Ex-Isle is the fifth book in this series about a handful of superheroes defending a small community of survivors in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. It's like The Walking Dead if it were a MCU movie. The heroes have built a fortified enclave in what used to be Hollywood, in previous books they
C.T. Phipps
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Ex-Heroes novels by Peter Clines are one of the best high concept books which are presently out there. The concept is a simple X meets Y sort of setting. "What would happen if the zombie apocalypse happened in a world with superheroes?" I've also seen it described as "Land of the Dead meets The Avengers" and that's not a bad description. A bunch of low-powered heroes based loosely on popular archetypes are in the midst of the zombie apocalypse and do their best to save as many people as ...more
Justin
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Not the best book in the Ex-Heroes series, but still an enjoyable one. Maybe I'm just not hero material, but there were a lot of decisions made by the characters here, that seemed like they were made only because the plot called for it. Sticking around the newly discovered settlement when the people living there are clearly less than friendly, all the stuff going on in the background at Eden, etc.

That said, once the necessary plot points came into play, there was a lot of zombie-crushing, bad
Melissa Rochelle
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
After two mediocre entries into the series, Ex-Isle brings us back to the good stuff. My favorite of the series has been Ex-Patriots -- the heroes left the Mount, they went in search of others, zombie-fighting, Barry dropping geek knowledge -- all good times. A lot of the same happened here, except it was a divide and conquer situation.

Barry, George, and Madelyn flew across the ocean and met a group of survivors with some interesting ideas about what happened. Stealth stayed behind at the Mount
Kirstie
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
While St George, Zzzap, and Corpse Girl fly out to the middle of the Pacific to check out a big island made of boats lashed together; Danielle, Gibbs and Cesar take the Cerberus mach 2 skeleton out to Eden, to help protect the fledgling new base/garden to feed everyone.

Woah, St George, WTF? Bad decisions much? Oh, lets take Corpse girl along to a FIRST CONTACT meeting with a bunch of people hiding on boats from zombies. I mean FFS, you had to know things weren't gong to go well. I get you
Mark
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first started this series a couple years back, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I have. After all, Superheroes versus zombies (or ex-humans as they are called)? It sounds pretty silly...
Now I find myself anticipating each new installment. The characters are fully formed, and the writing is very "visual", zipping along at the speed of Zzzap flying through the sky. Really fun books to read!
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is a fun series. I still feel like it hit its peak at book 3 and that book 3 would have made a great stopping point. But I like the feel of this universe and will probably continue listening to them as long as Clines keeps writing them.

The Eden story sort of fizzled, I think a lot more could have been done with it.

Narration was great.
Trike
I'm torn with this one. Half of it is really good and half of it is really bad. Like, two different drafts smushed together good/bad, and the dichotomy jumps out at you all the time.

It's superheroes v. zombies, and Clines is playing with the tropes of both of those genres (and the character of Zzzap borders on being aware he's in a genre book which, I'm begging you, Peter, do not go there), and playing the various tropes off one another has long been a strong suit of this series, but they feel
Chip
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
It starts out slow, but picks up towards the middle and I couldn't put it down near the end.
Mihir
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it

Overall Rating = 3 & 1/2 stars

Full review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Ex-Isle is the fifth book in Peter Clines exhilarating series, which has an interesting take on superheroes and zombies. So far Ive been a big fan of the series and Peter has wowed me with each volume. So when this book was announced, I was very excited to see where he would take the story after the tumultuous event of Ex-Purgatory.

This book has two plot threads, the first one focuses on St. George,
Steve
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A minor bump in the previously smooth freeway ... sadly, this was my least favorite in the series so far. I felt better when I read the author's note at the end, where he - rather explicitly - apologized for rushing this installment (c'mon, really - are publishers that short-sighted that they'd risk derailing a series over a deadline??? That makes no sense to me) and altering his basic approach to the story construction, which led to struggles throughout the writing process. So, fine, Clines ...more
Heather
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although its a small thing, Id like to point out the idiocy of taking along Madelyn when attempting to meet new people. She may not be an ex-, but she sure as hell looks like one.

Hearkening back to old times, I love that Clines still designates his chapters by THEN and NOW rather than expecting us to keep up with a complex timeline.

Understandably, the folks on the ships dont greet our heroes with open arms. Every stranger is a possible enemy, and it doesnt help that the good buys brought Corpse
Karissa
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth book in the Ex-Heroes series. I continue to enjoy this crazy post-apocalyptic blend of zombie survival and superhero themes. The books are fun and easy to read and always action-packed.

This book deals with two main issues. The first is the expansion of the Mount into another area called New Eden. The Mount is strapped for resources and needs the gardens/food that New Eden can supply. However, New Eden is not well fortified and something fishy is going on with the super
Zedsdead
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Next in series.
Book five in the zombie apocalypse/superheroes mashup series. St George, Zzzap, and Corpse Girl embark on an ill-fated diplomatic mission to Lemuria, a massive flotilla of survivors in the Pacific Ocean headed by a jealous, insecure were-shark. Elsewhere, Cerberus is tasked with getting an independent farm set up to feed the Mount and has to deal with a potential insurrection.

As always, Cliness writing is merely tolerable. And I realize that its not easy to create challenges for invincible
Vinay Badri
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Well it did seem inevitable. Given the extraordinarily high bar, that Clines has set for this series, we would get an installment that wouldnt reach that level.

To be very fair though, Ex-Isles does what the previous books does pretty well. Pack in tons of action, develop the world further and introduce another different villain but 5 books into the series, you want to see an overarching theme and some amount of character development for the lead character who is still pretty cool btw. The new
Papaphilly
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Peter Clines keeps up amazing work with his "EX" series and Ex-Isle is no exception. Tightly written with an easy to read style, once started, you cannot stop until you finish. There is one caveat, you really need to read the first four to truly enjoy Ex-Isle and that is not a knock, but you will miss much if you do not have the background. Once again the book just wows and has not lost any of the freshness or fun of the series, which is truly an accomplishment. I cannot wait until the next ...more
Drew
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, audible
Another great addition to the Ex-Heroes series, Ex-Isle is full of zombies, superheroes and action. If you like that kind of thing you should jump right in, if youre looking for deep meaning this probably isnt the book for you. Well written with a great story which really adds to the overall tale I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just wished that the next books in the series would come out faster to keep the story fresh in my mind. Guess you cant have both good and fast right? ...more
Dale Donovan
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A welcome return to form for this series after its ill-conceived predecessor. The super-heroes are back to being the focus, and while I'm all for building out the world this book does, I do hope we get back to the Mount, L.A., and the plot threads that have been hanging there for at least two books now. And let's see more Stealth next time too, please!!
William
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to William by: http://peterclines.com/books/ex-isle
Couldn't put it down!

I've loved all of the Ex-Heroes books so far, and this one is no different. From the flashback chapters reuniting us with old friends to the present-day storyline, the book moves at a steady pace that kept me engaged from start to finish. Bravo Mr. Clines!
Rebecca
Even better than the last book!
Neil
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
pretty good addition to this series.
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, clean, post-zombocalyptic fun! 4 stars for the genre and within the series.
Zane
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the series couldn't put it down

Some parts I found curious, but loved the storyline. Expect a vivid journey to a exciting realm. The details and very good
Shane
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
This whole series is just a ton of fun. It doesn't try and overthink anything, it just unleashes some superhero and zombie fun on the reader.
Robert
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another good entry in the series.
Danielle
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75/5 stars

Barry/Zzzap discovers a man-made island in the Pacific, consisting of several ships lashed together. The Mount sends a diplomatic mission of Barry, St. George and Madelyn the Corpse Girl, but what they find is not what they expected - a people who believe they are the only ones left, that the Mount heroes are all liars and follow their aquatic leader out of fear. Meanwhile, a PTSD-stricken Danielle travels to the Mount's newest outpost, Eden, as part of its security detail, taking
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
anyone know why the delay? 2 19 Dec 09, 2015 04:59AM

• Confessions of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #1)
  • Secrets of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • Rise of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #3)
  • Rage (Rogue Team International #1)
  • Thunder and Ashes (Morningstar Strain #2)
  • Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story
  • The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1)
  • Plague of the Dead (Morningstar Strain #1)
  • Rise of The Circle (Meta, #3)
  • Super Powereds: Year 3 (Super Powereds, #3)
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • Extemporaneous Peregrination (Pentacle #3)
  • The Beginning After the End: Publisher's Pack (The Beginning After The End #1-2)
  • Omega Squad (Omega Metahumans, #1)
  • The Wicked Dead (The Tome of Bill, #7)
  • Black Order: The Warmasters of Thanos
  • Gestapo Mars
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper, and

Ex-Heroes (5 books)
  • Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)
  • Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)
  • Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)
  • Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4)