Start by marking “Havoc” as Want to Read:
Havoc

Havoc

(Southside #2)

From the author of the Text Prize-winning The Bridge.

The ceasefire is barely holding. Southside waits, with a kind of hope that feels like defeat.

Then Cityside blows up the bridge.

And amid the chaos and rubble Nik and Lanya are drawn into a complex web of power, fear and betrayal.

Who is the girl found crying out from the bombed bridge? What is her connection to the secret
Published February 25th 2015 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Havoc, please sign up.
effbutnoteff Well, now it's been three years since Havoc was released so I highly doubt it

Start your review of Havoc
Marianne
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-swap
Havoc is the second novel by New Zealand author, Jane Higgins. It is sequel to The Bridge and is set six months after the events of that book. When a barrage of rockets from Cityside inflicts enormous damage on Moldam HQ, costs Breken lives and brings down the Moldam Bridge, it is apparent that the precarious ceasefire is over. Nik and Lanya rush to help, and Nik risks his life to save a girl from under the falling bridgework, a girl who seems neither a Citysider, nor Breken, but possibly a Dry- ...more
Paula Weston
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After the reading (and thoroughly enjoying) The Bridge, I noted that the story seemed to have parallels to the Israeli-Palestinian situation.

In Havoc, that comparison is almost inescapable, between the curfews, check points and lock-downs. But of course, it could be any city at any point in recent history divided by war and fear.

And for me, that's the point of these well-crafted thrillers: that there are good people on both sides of any conflict and your loyalties - and perceptions of 'right' an
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text, loveozya, lovenzya
Havoc is a brilliant follow up to The Bridge, but darker and more enthralling than the original. Tensions between Southside and Cityside have never been higher, and Nik with the blood from the failed exchange on his hands. His former life is in tatters and he now lives in limbo, no longer welcome in Cityside and not quite a Southsider either. In Havoc, the reader is introduced to One City, where the community is believe to be working with Southside and now
Chiara
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A copy of this novel was provided by Text Publishing for review.

Havoc lived up to my enjoyment of The Bridge, which is saying a lot because I really enjoyed The Bridge.

The writing style that I loved so much in the first book was still as wonderful in this one. Of this I was glad. Sometimes writing style changes between books (and there were four years between these two books), but it stayed the same in Havoc, and I was immersed in it once again.

Nik was just as loveable as he was in The Bridge. P
Rochelle
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
I loved this book. Dystopian is one of my favourite YA genres and I haven’t read one in a while so it was nice to jump back into the genre, and this one was a stand out. I haven’t read The Bridge, The first book in the series, so I was a little worried going into this that I would be lost, but I wasn’t. It stood on it’s own and I don’t think it’d be 100% necessary to read the first book before reading this. But now I’ve read this I’d love to go and read The Bridge. I need more of these character ...more
Olivia
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Jane Higgins's "Havoc" is the story of a complicated war being fought between two people and a boy, Nik, who is somewhat caught between them. There are clear villains and heroes as biological warfare (HV-C6 or havoc) is being used to force one side to submit to another. Nik is left to uncover the plot, expose it, and save his friends in the process.

The story is fastpaced and focused. To continue the plot, character ignorance is somewhat extended in parts and rapidly overcome in others. I found
Alecs
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a nice sequel of 'The Bridge'. :-)

Helen
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable sequel where the action and outcomes were cleverly woven to a satisfying conclusion. At times this seemed against impossible odds. It showed how choosing sides is not always easy and how family and friends have an influence on this. It also showed what lengths some people will go to to keep their position. Good series for Young adults.
Wendy
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
"Havoc" the thrilling and explosive sequel to "The Bridge" begins with Southside's ceasefire, hoping that this step forward will spawn peaceful negotiations with the City. But in response the Breken's headquarters is demolished in a rocket attack and the Moldam bridge is blown up. Hearing a terrified cry in the wreckage of the bridge Nik Stais without thought for his own safety plunges into the ruins to save the life of a mysterious young girl whose only legible words speak of "havoc and the mar ...more
shannonbookishlife
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received this book for review from netgally and the publisher this has in now way affected my opinion

Bridget
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would have given another star if I'd been able to remember the first one - which I really liked - more clearly. This one took me a wee bit to get into because I couldn't remember the characters well enough, I see that some people on Goodreads think it is ok to read as a standalone, but I really felt that you needed the background of the previous novel, and once that all came flooding back to me I was in. The characters are realistic, witty and the dialogue sparkling between them. Nicely confli ...more
Janice
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
A city has been split in half with the haves on one side and the havenots on the other. The havenots are those that do the work. The haves want to remain in firm control over the havenots, but there’s been rebellion for years.

Currently, there is a ceasefire but then the haves blow up a bridge and blame the havenots. Caught in the middle are Nik, a boy raised with the haves but who lives on the other side now, and his friend Lanya.

Nik and Lanya head over to the rich side to find Nik’s father who
Just_me
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This book simply thrust me into the confusion this dying world. Within the first few chapters I was in the thick of the action where Nik (the main protagonist) is in the thick of the action.

This book has many themes War and Loyalty being the main ones. It is enjoyable, fast paced and dark - exactly what a teen Dystopia needs to be.

A great read. Can be read as a standalone but I will try and re-read after the bridge, as I feel I'm missing a lot of the story.

With Thanks to Netgalley and the publis
Kim Yates
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The sequel to The Bridge but could be read independently. A good read. Once again some interesting perspectives on growing up, difficult choices, power and war. Not sure why I didn't enjoy it as much as The Bridge.
Angela Oliver
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Higgins has a beautifully lyrical way with words, something that accentuates the stark darkness of this dystopia novel. It has been quite a while since I read the first book (The Bridge) but quickly found myself drawn into the world of the City and the southsiders.
Peter Bird
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh! To me, nicely written dialogue and well crafted sentences do not a novel make. Take a few characters, add some dialogue, set them amid a war torn environment and play it from there.
Seems like about 100 pages of prequel are missing in my mind.
Sonya Browning

• Fire Fire
  • Carousel
  • Mahjar
  • Hiam
Jane was born in Christchurch, New Zealand. Over the years, she has traveled away, but she returned in the 1990s; she and her husband, Paul, live there still, even though the ground now shakes at regular and unnerving intervals and has done since the earthquakes of September 2010 and February 2011.

Growing up, she read a lot of classic science fiction, fantasy and myth, and was captivated by the as

Southside (2 books)