Start by marking “Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)” as Want to Read:
Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)

Denton Little's Deathdate

(Denton Little #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  5,582 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews
**WINNER of the ILA Young Adult Book Award!**

Get ready to die laughing: this is an outrageously funny ride through the last hours of a teenager’s life as he searches for love, meaning, answers, and (just maybe) a way to live on.

Denton Little’s Deathdate takes place in a world exactly like our own except that everyone knows the day on which they will die. For Denton, tha
Published April 14th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

·  5,582 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews

Start your review of Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
C.G. Drews
This book is the pinnacle of gallows humour. And do I like it? HECK YES I DO. I died laughing reading this. (Har, haaaar, har. Okay, what? I'm allowed to put in lame puns. IT IS MY RIGHT.) Anyway. I laughed a lot. This book is seriously funny. There were some moments I even closed my eyes I was giggling so hard. How is it possible for a book to be this darn hilarious?!! But you've got to read it knowing it's totally insensitive and ridiculous. Whatever you do: DO NOT go into reading this if talk ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

A wise man once said . . . .

The problem is it’s hard to know exactly which Young Adult selections I’m going to feel too old for. It’s especially hard with blurbs that say things like . . . .

“Get ready to die laughing” . . . “outrageously funny”

And promise that I will . . . .

“Fall in love with Denton Little.”

Being that there was already a #2 in this series, it was pretty obvious that I would not be experiencing D
Evie
Welcome to the world where people get to attend their own funerals because, thanks to AstroThanatoGenetics, they know precisely when they're going to die.

This is the story of Denton Little, a teenage boy whose deathdate falls on the day of senior prom. We meet Denton on the day of his funeral (the day before his deathdate, because the funerals are now attended by the soon-to-be-dead people), and together with him, his best friend, Paolo, his girlfriend, Taryn, and Paolo's older sister, Veronic
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Reading Denton Little's Deathdate is such a wild ride. A little weird but a lot of fun. Anyways, who doesn't like weird!? I'm personally up for anything weird whether its on what I read or even in real life. But what's the best about Denton Little's Deathdate is that its the kind of weird that makes you laugh and think!

Being inside of Denton's head is definitely a blast and even though not everything went smooth sailing, I still enjoyed the whole book and half of the reason is Denton's humorou
Kelly Jones
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know, there are just not enough funny books about death.

High school senior Denton Little knows he'll die tomorrow; the data people can narrow that down for almost everyone to a 24-hr period. But will he die before prom, or after? What should he spend his last few hours on? What about all those things he never got around to saying, or doing? And why is everyone suddenly acting so much weirder than normal?

What begins as a fairly straightforward what-if premise morphs structure and develops la
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This book is a hard one to rate. There were aspects of it that I thought were really awesome. Really cool and original and well-executed. There were also bits that I thought weren’t so great and just didn’t work.

The writing style was brilliant. The book skipped along in a really fun way and the author had a nice lighthearted touch, which is quite something considering the book is about Denton’s impending death! There was a lot of dialogue - I don’t know anything about the author, but maybe he’s
Kristina Horner
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was okay, just surprisingly meh for a story advertised so much as a comedy. The mystery element didn't carry me enough through an ultimately boring final day of this kids supposed life, the language was written in such a casual tone it just felt juvenile (way too much slang and use of the word "like") and it took me forever to read it because I was so underwhelmed. Disappointing, because the premise seemed so interesting.

I also wish it answered more of my questions. I worked out what
☆M I C H E L L E☆
*4 stars*

I have two very conflicting opinions on this book, deriving also from the fact that I waited four years to read this story because at first glance I wasn't impressed enough:
1. I liked it because I find it very ingenious to have a death date, even if there are both pros and cons about the choice to be "dated"; the writer has a good dialectic regarding descriptions and dialogues, nothing boring; I liked how the story took place, the narration is a bit repetitive in some places but perfect
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Review
I know I am not the only one who ALWAYS says Denton's Little Deathdate. Right??? Anyways  . . .

The whole story follows Denton Little on his deathdate. Because in this world everyone knows when they will die, that person attends their own funeral and then you wait to die. I will say this book kind of went in a different direction than what I thought, especially towards the end but I liked it.

This was really a fun and funny book. I super appreciated the humor in this one. I mean it is abou
Morris
Seeing as I just finished reading “Denton Little’s Deathdate”, I can only hope that I stop laughing long enough to write a coherent review.

The plot is one of the most unusual I have read in a young adult novel, especially one meant to be funny while dealing with a guaranteed date of death. It throws in a lot of curveballs as well, and it keeps you on your toes. There isn’t really an easy way to describe it, or fit it into one genre, and it’s very possible that it managed to create its own catego
Maria
I like this book so much. There are interesting and unusual characters and plot.

I will explain. Imagine a world in which everything is exactly the same as in our world, except for one thing. People know the exact day of their death. It is called Deathdate.
The protagonist know that he must die in Prom day (it sucks, doesn't it?).
But he did not want to die.
And he makes a very lousy things (like the one that he cheated on his girlfriend).
I love this book because it is really written for teenager
Cheryl
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've been considering reading this, and can handle the kind of 'mature content' that is relevant to older teen boys, I strongly recommend you forget everything you read in the blurb, anything you read me say, and pick up this funny, thought-provoking, SF mystery-adventure. I couldn't put it down last night and so missed several hours sleep, but it was worth it. (Otoh, I'm not sure I'll worry about the sequel, as I kinda like the way it ended....)
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Credit for this find goes to Lenore (Author of The Memory of After and Chasing Before). I’d requested Denton Little’s Deathdate months back because Random House doesn’t put all that much up on NetGalley, and it sounded like it might maybe be interesting. By the time I was getting close to reading it, though, I just wasn’t really feeling it, so I was going to skip it. Then Lenore encouraged me to read it, telling me how wond
Michelle
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Denton Little's Deathdate is a really funny, and strangely sweet read. I can honestly say that I have never read anything quite like it. It is not the most believable book ever, but you just have to embrace the concept and go with it. If you can do that, you will have a blast on Denton's last 24 hours alive adventure. Denton Little's Deathdate takes place in a world in the future that is very much like the world we k
Emily Mead
I don't even know what to say about this book. I mean, some bits of it were funny, but a lot seemed like it was trying too hard to be funny. Plus, the protagonist was just such an idiot (and I feel sorry for both the girls he slept with, and then tried to JUSTIFY this to). And then the plot started getting into all this government conspiracy stuff, and it wasn't QUITE ridiculous enough for that.

Sadly not for me, this one.

______________________________________

I am a big fan of inappropriate humo
Jessica at Book Sake
I didn't realize that this book was part of a series until I finished it and there was no closure. That should have been referred to on the cover on in the publisher info I received with the book. However, knowing it was part of a series may have kept me from reading it. (I need a good stand alone book right now.)

The humor in the book was fun – the majority of that being between Denton and his best friend Paolo. They have snarky, off-the-wall conversations that would likely only make sense to th
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Denton Little's Deathdate is a hilarious story of dying, living and what you do with the in between. Denton isn't popular, nor is he a ladies man. He's intelligent, conforming and a teen that parents would be proud of. But in a society where at birth your date of death is determined, Denton realises that he's never truly lived his life. He's never had a hangover, he's never felt a wild abandonment and he's certainly never had sex. But when Denton wakes up
Petra
This was really funny, but also a bit all over the place. And that ending..it just isn't fair to end a book like that..
Samantha (WLABB)
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2017, audiobooks, ya
I didn't know this ended in a cliffy, and what a a doozie of an ending. This book was hilarious, but it also made me think - how would I live my life if I knew my death date? Can't wait to start the next book.
MoonWyvern
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny. Hilarious. Brilliant.

It wasn’t perfection, but this book is relatable (you know, other than you know when you’re going to die.) The ending caught me off guard. I expected something else... but I won’t spoil it. Hehe!

Oh, and I hate Phil. He is a psychopath. My only question is why I am the in jail? Taryn frequently got on my nerves. I couldn’t stand her. I found her slightly petty and too dramatic. It may just be me. Welp.
Valerie
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be honest, I never really considered reading this until I saw it at the library. And then I thought, "Wait this is about death, right". You see, I loved the Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die anthology, where the manner of your death is spit out by a machine. But in this book, it's the time of death that you have to prepare for. So obviously after I found this out, I was going to pick this up ASAP.

Denton is due to die when he's 17 years
Liviania
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DENTON LITTLE'S DEATHDATE is one of those stories that switches genre partway through. It starts out as a black comedy about a teenage boy who knows he's going to die tomorrow and struggling with how he wants to go out and what he wants to do in the limited time before he dies. Then, it shifts into a paranoid conspiracy thriller. (Admittedly, this shift is seeded early in DENTON LITTLE'S DEATHDATE.)

I found the world debut author Lance Rubin created fascinating. He only makes one big change to th
Katy Noyes
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a unique idea... The world is like ours, but with one difference: every person has a blood test at birth that tells them the exact date of their eventual death. Now, to accept this idea and this book, you have to ignore the fact that the 'test' can apparently predict through blood if you're going to die in a car crash, an overdose, in a fire - not just cancers and old age. Hmmm. Just let it go.

The story picks up with 17-year-old Denton. His deathdate is tomorrow. And while this book is hila
Michael
On the morning of his funeral, Denton Little wakes up in the bed of his best friend's older (by a year) sister with little or no memory of what happened the night before. Now as he prepares for his funeral and his final day on Earth, Denton must piece together what happened the night before as well as clues about his own identity and some of the mysteries surrounding it.

It's going to be a busy final couple of days for Denton, who has always known the day he's going to die. In Denton Little's De
Kat
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
*I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What can I say about this book without spoiling it? Not much, so this review will be brief!

I loved the concept! It would be so bizarre to know which day would be my last. Going to my funeral, sitting around, knowing I should be dying any second--that sure is an experience I'm glad I won't have. I liked how the book brought to light reactions to death. The pity, the tears, the worry, the awkward jokes. Denton was a really good ch
Layla
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read-2015, alan
The premise for Denton Little’s Deathdate: Denton Little lives in a world where everyone knows the day they will die. When you’re born, your guardians send in some hair and blood, and bam! Deathdate revealed. Denton is an Early – a person whose deathdate falls before their 21st birthday – and he just wants to be a normal teenager who *isn’t* fated to die during his senior year of high school. Denton’s deathdate also happens to fall on the same day of his senior prom.

So the book takes us through
Emily
Read by the author, this book on audio was a treat. I lost count of how many times I laughed out loud as I was driving to and from work. The premise (view spoiler) could use a more satisfying explanation, but I loved the book anyway. If you're willing to just roll with the idea that in this setting, death can be predicted down to the day, the book's a really fun ride. The author did a nice job building suspense over the two days leading ...more
Samantha
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites
I really enjoyed this book! It wasn't at all what I was expecting, and was better than I truly anticipated. I received this as part of Book Case. Club and I'm super glad it was one of my October books! It was delightfully funny, thought provoking, and had just a fantastic plot. The idea of knowing your death, and all of the rituals that would come along with it, was different and refreshing. The characters were all interesting, and I liked seeing how they all wove into the story of Denton Little ...more
Dahlia
Some gooooood literal LOLs in this one. Still wanna listen to the audiobook because I know from hearing a reading that he's a fantastic narrator, but totally works on the page.
Megan (ReadingRover)
This book was one of the best dark comedies I’ve ever read. I found myself literally laughing out loud throughout the majority of it. The gallows humor is priceless and if you can’t appreciate that then don’t read this but you’re totally missing out.
Denton is supposed to die and the whole story takes place on his death date. He is just your average dry witted high school student with a family who loves him, a girlfriend and a best friend waiting to die. Not only is Denton a witty guy but his be

• Caged Warrior
  • Don't Get Caught
  • The Boy in the Black Suit
  • The Cinema of John Carpenter: The Technique of Terror
  • All We Have Left
  • Spiel der Vergangenheit (Die Zeitrausch-Trilogie, #1)
  • Olguța și un bunic de milioane
  • Jesus-Shock
Hey there, I'm Lance Rubin.

I wrote the DENTON LITTLE series (now a Snapchat original series) and CRYING LAUGHING, coming in November 2019.

I also co-wrote THE LOST CAUSES OF BLEAK CREEK with Rhett & Link and the musical BROADWAY BOUNTY HUNTER with Joe Iconis & Jason SweetTooth Williams.

I'm from New Jersey. It's a way better state than people give it credit for. I went to Brown University, and no

Denton Little (2 books)
  • Denton Little's Still Not Dead  (Denton Little, #2)