Start by marking “Scandalous” as Want to Read:
Scandalous

Scandalous

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  492 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A MAN WITHOUT A PAST

Who was the stranger on her doorstep?
Why was someone trying to kill him?
And what had happened to his memory?

A WOMAN WITH A SECRET

She had always been a model of propriety, the dutiful daughter and loving sister who put her family above all else. No one had guessed at the shocking secret she kept hidden ... or the desire that would burn inside her at this
Published August 1st 1996 by Mira Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandalous

Becca
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
This story had such a promising beginning, but the heroine managed to ruin everything.

Chapter 1 opens with Priscilla, a country girl of genteel, but poor family, opening her door and finding an injured, naked man on her doorstep with no memory of who he is. The attraction is immediate and the man ends up staying with Priscilla and her governess and absent-minded father as they strive to unravel who he is and who is out to harm him. The first chapters held steam, witty banter, and intrigue and I
Christine
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Can I just start by wondering at the sheer volume of romance novels named "Scandalous?" Many are just that -- the single word. Others use the word "scandal" combined with other words. I did a search for "Scandalous" on goodreads and this book was the 5th listed. Out of 539 results.

I'm beginning to think I've read at least a hundred of them myself. And I'm sure (hope) there's an exception out there, but so often, it's a misleading title. It's like romance publishers know romance readers (and the
Tammy Walton Grant

I lowered my rating a bit from when I first read this book years ago, but my tastes have changed since then and I seem to like my books darker and 'angstier' nowadays.

Still, an entertaining way to spend an afternoon!

With quite a few of my favourite plot devices -- a bluestocking/spinster type with a secret, a handsome rogue with amnesia, a missing duke and some pretty good chemisty (not to mention a fever and an excellent spongebath!) this one stays on my keeper shelf.

And the hero's na
LaFleurBleue
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
This book fits into the distraction with not much substance category, as I knew it would from the first page onwards.
A romance with more adventure than real depth of feelings, a plot based on action with no character development. And anyway no real characterization, with most characters looking like caricatures of themselves. Obviously historical realism is not a major concern and can be used as a convention when required and totally forgotten when it did not fit with the purpose. This is a genr
Doreen
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Obvious plot, but what did it for me was the character of the heroine's father. I am so tired of eccentric scientists with wild hair, who forget about meals and sleep and explode their laboratories at regular intervals. This is Enid Blytonland, I expected the Famous Five to rush in at any moment, demanding ginger beer and cake.
Gerrie
I debated between giving this book two or three stars. It's probably about a 2.5. Ms. Camp is a very fine writer. There was a lot to enjoy about this book, and there were some very interesting elements in the plot. There were two mysteries: why the hero had been attacked and abducted; and which of the gentlemen in the area had killed a pregnant servant 30 years before.

The attack on the hero leaves him with amnesia. However, once the hero - and reader - discovered who he is, the answer to the fi
Robin
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
When a naked man lands on her doorstep begging for help, Priscilla takes him in and cares for him. He doesn't know his name. He doesn't know how he was injured. The only thing he is sure of is he had been kidnapped and held in a shed in the woods. Priscilla names him John. Together they try to discover John's true identity and find out who wants him out of the picture.

This is a very predictable historical romance. The plot was a little slow and there were no surprises. My rating: 2.5 Stars.
john orchard
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast moving novel with lots of excitement.

An interesting story with good character development. A historical fiction that keeps the reader's mind wondering what will happen next. Lots of sex and intriguing situations where the reader wonders what will the next chapter bring into the story line. A fun and fast read for the public to enjoy this summer and fall before winter returns.
Faith Williams
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I never really read a romance novel because I was nervous about the sexual scenes but I decided to try it and it wasn't bad at all! There were only about two scenes that were remotely "bad" and the author did a great job with the word choice and not making the audience feel too uncomfortable. I also liked that it wasn't just all about sex and love. It was a story and was executed very well :) I can't wait to read more from this author!
Kirsti
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency
This one was particularly intriguing, because of the mystery behind the main love interest. Who is he? Where did he come from? and why is someone trying to kill him? I think the mystery made this one, as the romance itself wasn't really anything to write home about. It was a simple lust turned into love scenario, but still, it kept me occupied. Four stars!
Shawna Scott
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was really hoping, after reading Suddenly and Impulse, that Scandalous would also be an interesting romance that would keep me reading until the last page. Unfortunately, this one was somehow just boring to me. Hopefully the next Victorian romance by Candace Camp I decide to read will be better than this.
Gina
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved the beginning, and this was a good book. I just wish there was more to the male character. I understand that it would be hard to do since he has amnesia for most of the book, but i still wish that he had more POV parts. Other than that i really have no complaints. THe ending wasn't rushed, and i felt it wrapped up quite nicely
I would read this author again.
Aldy
Karen K. Miller
I liked this book. Even though parts of the story were obvious, the plot moved along quickly. I liked the characters. Most of the characters had a lot of personal strength. I felt myself rooting for the characters.
Linda
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great historical, a mysterious man appears in the middle of the night, injured and with no memory of who he is, all they know is that hes american. Now shell help him escape the two ruffians looking for him and at the same time help him remember. ...more
Crystal
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: soft-copy, 2-star
This book moved along really slowly. It was the same argument between the main characters all the time. I skipped several pages all the time and was never lost in the book. I did enjoy the characters. They were well thought out.
Ronica
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, the h was a writer and used a man's name to get her work published.
Tracy's Place
3.25 out of 5
LemontreeLime
Usually I adore Candace Camp's work, but i just couldn't get into this one. I leave it unfinished.
Keri (Va-Voom!)
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, historical, romance
Meh. Not great and mostly predictable. 2.5 stars.
Elaine
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: candace-camp
Slow, and not well written.
Maria
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
A predictable murder mystery/steamy read, nonetheless i still liked it.
dakotapie
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Stereotypical characters
Predictable plot
Ridiculous scandal

And yet I found it enjoyable? I'm befuddled on this one.
Julie
Sep 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Heroine fail. Goes all girly and STUPID at the end, and totally ruins it.
Celine
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, kindle, library
2 1/2 stars

I liked the characters but the two mysteries were incredibly obvious and there was a lot telling instead of showing.
Amos
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
of Wal-Mart 7/20/2010 $5.99 started pm 8/3/2010 finished 8/5/2010
Marissa
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Predictable, a bit cheesy, but delightful and steamy.
Frances
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I almost gave up on this author, glad I stuck with it. A darling book.
Jul 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Same ol' formula. Absurd. No depth to characters.
  • The Confessions of a Duchess (The Brides of Fortune #1)
  • Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea (Royal Entourage, #1)
  • To Sin With a Stranger (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • The Charade
  • Scandalous (Banning Sisters, #1)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • The Spare
  • Almost a Princess (Men from Special Branch, #4)
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)
  • Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea, #1)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)
  • An Improper Aristocrat
  • The Virgin's Secret (Lost City, #2)
  • No Ordinary Groom (Spies and Lovers, #1)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • Written on Your Skin
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the mot
More about Candace Camp...