Start by marking “Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes” as Want to Read:
Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes

Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes

(Star Wars (2015) #1)

The greatest space adventure of all returns to Marvel!

Luke Skywalker and the ragtag rebel band opposing the Galactic Empire are fresh off their biggest victory so far--the destruction of the massive Death Star. But the Empire's not toppled yet! Join Luke, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2 and the rest of the Rebel Alliance as they fight for freedom against
Published October 6th 2015 by Marvel Comics (first published January 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars, Vol. 1

Start your review of Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes
Kemper
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is really good.

And I don’t just mean good as in “This is pretty good for a tie-in comic book.” I mean that this is seriously good as in, “We should use plastic surgery to alter Jason Aaron's appearance so that he is identical to George Lucas. Then we'll invent time travel and send Aaron back to 1999 where he will kidnap and replace Lucas. He will then write better prequels and save us all from much misery and suffering.”

That’s how good it is.

Set shortly after A New Hope, the good guys are t
Alejandro
The Force is strong in this one!

I got this run on its single comic book issues but I am doing the review using this TPB edition to make a better general review about the whole story. The story is set after the events of “Star Wars IV: A New Hope” but before the events of “Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back”. This TPB edition contains from the title of “Star Wars” #1-6 in its new Marvel Canonic run.

Creative Team:

Writer: Jason Aaron

Illustrator: John Cassaday

THE FORCE IS BACK, BABY!

The gr
Sean Gibson
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sure, this is a blatant attempt to cash in on The Force Awakens mania. Sure, this is all about scratching that nostalgic itch for people of a certain age (being of a certain age myself, I can tell you that we are a very itchy demographic). Sure, you could rightly raise a very cynical eyebrow when contemplating the dubious reasons for this book’s very existence from a creative perspective.

But, you know what? It’s fun. Lots of fun. Probably more fun that it should be. Aaron nails the characters—wa
Dan Schwent
In the aftermath of A New Hope, The Rebellion is struggling to get along. When Luke Skywalker comes face to face with Darth Vader on a raid, his destiny takes a turn. Who will the Empire send after him? And who is the mysterious woman stalking Han Solo?

Imagine my surprise when I returned from the inescapable Christmas morass to find this sitting in my cube.

Confession time: There were several times in my life when I binged on everything Star Wars. I've got a hundred or so action figures in a box
Sam Quixote
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2015
A (not so very) long time ago (the start of 2015 in fact), when Disney refused to renew Dark Horse’s Star Wars licence and gave it to their company, Marvel, instead…

(Imagine the music playing and the text begin scrolling)

Marvel Star Wars

Jason Aaron and John Cassaday’s Star Wars, Volume 1: Skywalker Strikes

It is a fanboy’s perfect fantasy: set between the two best Star Wars movies, A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, our heroes – who all look like the original cast from way back then - conti
Sr3yas
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a possibly irrelevant-bonus-mission kind of story arc here.

Yea, that was NOT what I expected.

The story takes place between "New hope" and "Empire strikes back". We find our heroes on a mission to sabotage different strategic facilities of the empire to weaken their hold on the galaxy.

And as usual, things went south.

The first three chapters are total kick ass, featuring spectacular showdowns and excellent chemistry between characters that successfully mimics the original trilogy's
Chad
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Worth the price of the book just for John Cassaday's art. The characters are so lifelike and actually look like the actors involved. Set right after the end of Episode 4, this is a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe.
Bradley
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting. It takes place right after Ep. 4 and gives us all a nice taste of Luke and the gang before they got all badass. Some story pieces get filled in between the movies, the iconic banter and classics are all in place. It's a nostalgic piece, and in my opinion, SO much better than all the comics that came out at the original release.

After all, this has all the pieces from Ep 1-6 to draw from, plus the millions of fans who want exactly this kind of pretty adventure.

Hell. I'm one of
Gianfranco Mancini

Not liked very much the final cliffhanger, but this comic Episode 4.5 of the Star Wars franchise was just epic and far better than expected.
And Vader using Storm Troopers as human shields almost made me laugh to tears! XD
Scott
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I probably went into this with lowered expectations - I had read Poe Dameron: Black Squadron earlier in the week and was left a little underwhelmed by it - but Skywalker Strikes felt like it belonged right at home within the SW universe. I mean, I really enjoyed this volume.

Set firmly between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, the fast-paced story makes all sorts of visual, dialogue, and characteristic references that those familiar with the original film trilogy will appreciate. The artwork is
Sesana
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
It shocked the hell out of me, but this is actually really good. I was sort of banking on it being acceptable, but this is well more than that. Aaron has the voices of the characters down cold, especially Han Solo. It looks incredible. As long as the characters basically look like themselves, I'm usually happy with media tie in comics, but this is above and beyond that. Everybody looks perfect, and the art is actually objectively really good outside of just being accurate representations. The fi ...more
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"Who knew anyone of note was ever born on Tatooine, eh?"

Welp, this was fun!

I love the extra depth it gives the characters. Because let's be real, there had to be a lot they worked on between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. And being able to witness those struggles is gonna be fun.

It already is fun.

There are some pretty beautiful scenes in here too. I'm not a particular fan of the art style but I can appreciate those beautiful frames.

Oh, and that ending!

I did not know what to t
Benji Glaab
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not bad Jason Aaron has always been very hit and miss for me, but this was everything a Star Wars tale should be. Break neck pacing, with great action, narrow escapes, fun banter amongst the characters The creators successfully embodied the cast from the original movies. We are also treated to lots of new content. Overall a great edition to the SW universe
Dimitris
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
WARNING! This comic book may cause fangasm!
description
The Force is strong with Aaron and Cassaday! Their work reminds me of George Lucas at his best! It is a wild ride full of fist-pump-worthy moments, plus it’s rendered with such care to each character’s likeness that it’s practically like watching a secret Star Wars movie that was never released- Star Wars Episode 4.5 Skywalker Strikes!
Ps; Stormtroopers still can’t hit anything ;)
Paul E. Morph
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, this was pretty good, as far as fan-fiction goes.

I liked the interaction between Han and Leia, I liked the general tone of the book, I liked the opening raid on the Imperial weapons factory and I liked John Cassaday's artwork quite a bit; he nailed the actor likenesses 90% of the time, which is pretty good going.

I didn't really like (view spoiler); it felt a bit too much like fanboy wankery to me. I also let out a huge groan at the reveal of (vi
Bookwraiths
Damn, I'm absolutely shocked and amazed. Why you ask? I wasn't expecting much from this graphic novel but found a very cool story set after A New Hope. All my favorite SW characters were there, acting like their old selves, kicking ass, cracking jokes, and bring fun back to the series. The art was great too!

Can't wait to binge read the rest of the series over the weekend.
Alex
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Appalling fanwank. Aaron writes Star Wars with the craft of a small child who has just watched the Star Wars trilogy and wants nothing more than to quote it back to his parents. In six issues Luke confronts Vader, Luke confronts Boba Fett, Vader meets Jabba and Han acts like a cad towards Leia - multiple times - all whilst re-quoting the entirety of the Original trilogy back at us in a bastardized form. I couldn't imagine a worse Star Wars comic even if I closed my eyes and used the force, I onl ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel, comics

So Marvel got Star Wars back. I was a little sad to see it leave Darkhorse, but then I got my hands on their new flagship comic for the franchise and I was blown away!

Yes, all the extended cannon is now a moot point. Yes, everything over the years that the books and comics have built up is now considered 'legend'. But ya know what? I don't even care! Jason Aaron nailed it! Everything about these first 6 issues falls in line perfectly with the vibe of a galaxy far, far away.

The first three issues
Mark
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining adventure that takes place between Episodes IV and V. I really liked that the characters’ personalities felt true to the way they are portrayed in the films. The artwork was also great!
Laura I.
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I barely remember what the plot was and I only finished this a day (two days?) ago, but whatever, I'm giving this book 5 stars, I don't even care. It's f@*#ing awesome.

Sidenote, people who get mad/make fun of how Cassaday can't stay on a book for more than 6 issues: um have you SEEN his art though? The fact that a single page doesn't take 8 months is honestly a miracle and also -- look at the characters here! Look at Han! And Leia!

Uh anyway yes I liked this book a lot and it made me v happy an
James DeSantis
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable at parts but so many moments that felt forced because of the placement of the comic. Biggest one is Luke vs BF and you know Luke has never see. him before in empire. so they make Luke blind for the fight. That felt dumb. Also Luke somehow even remotely holding his own against Vader was a joke. Still, it was a fun easy read for the most part that left enough cliffhangers to make me want to read the next.
Sud666
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Jason Aaron pens a really good Star Wars tale, set right after the events of Episode IV: A New Hope. Beautifully illustrated and with a fun and exciting story, this is one that Star Wars fans will enjoy.

Luke and his Rebel friends have dealt a huge blow to the Empire after destroying the first Death Star. As the Empire scrambles to recoup the economic losses, Luke-Han and Leia lead a mission to cause even more damage to a production world. But the Empire has also sent a "negotiator" in the form o
Elaina
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love graphic novels! Glad my library had this along with a few other star wars books I might be reading soon too :)
Lata
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't think it was possible, but Luke has become dumber and more reckless, while Han lacks all charm and smarts, and Leia makes the occasional really dumb decision (not to mention, why did she have to change into her stupid white dress during a mission when she was in disguise?)
I hope the next set of issues is better, or I'll just have to think the Rebels literally stumbled, totally accidentally, into occasional wins against the Empire.
Jesse A
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Probably a bit closer to 3.5 stars. Good story, nice art.
Anthony
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Disney and Marvel comics bring you: Star Wars! An all new ongoing title set firmly in Star Wars canon featuring all your favourite characters!

There was a thing a while ago about canon and how all those Dark Horse comics that had been coming out for about 15 years that were considered canon are now no longer canon. When Disney bought the licence to Star Wars, they streamlined the franchise to make it more accessible for old and new fans.

Marvel decided to put some of the big talent on a new line o
Nicholas West
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
I’d be hard pressed to rate Star Wars: Skywalker Strikes any lower than five stars. I have some reservations, call it a rating of 4.6 or 4.7 perhaps. But I’ll be goddamned if this doesn’t capture the whiz-bang excitement of the original Star Wars Trilogy. This creative team is knocking it right out of the Death Star Trench.

I personally get a little burned out on the amount of Star Wars media that exists. Consuming the movies (every year now for heaven’s sake!), cartoons, toys, books, video games
Matthew
May the Force be with You

I believe this review must be epic to apologize for my lack of reading in these past few months.This GIF pretty sums up my feelings towards this new Star Wars comic series and Star Wars VII: Force Awakens. Whenever I get to watch the films, watch the television show, or read the books and comics, I get to feel like the little four year old I was when I saw Phantom Menace. Purely magical. That is an experience one does not forget for the rest of one's lifetime
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've never been massively into Star Wars, but like the entire population of the planet, I saw The Force Awakens and fancied looking into the new canon, so where better to start than with Marvel's new ongoing series? Even before reading them, I knew Marvel were throwing their top talent at these books, with Jason Aaron and John Cassaday here, Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca on Darth Vader, and a cavalcade of excellence on the rotating mini-series too.

Set between Episodes IV and V, this story f
Quentin Wallace
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the Star Wars comic I've been waiting on!

With a team like Jason Aaron and John Cassady, I expected a decent comic, but this far exceeded my expectations. This story is set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and from what I understand this is considered canon now. So this is like the "official" story of what happened between the two movies. There are probably a few discrepancies die hard fans may not like, such as Luke Skywalker battling Darth Vader before Bespin, but st

• Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 1: Vader
  • Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel
  • Star Wars: Lando
  • Star Wars, Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 1: The Last Padawan (Star Wars: Kanan, #1)
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 1: Aphra
  • Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home
  • Star Wars, Vol. 9: Hope Dies
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Star Wars (2015) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon