Start by marking “Blood in the Water” as Want to Read:
Blood in the Water

Blood in the Water

(Warp Weavers 0.5)

There have always been warps—tears between realities—and they’ve always been a threat to humanity. Most people are blind to them. But Hallie’s eyes are opening. Now that she’s going to school at the Protectorate, she’s learning there’s more to life than fun and games.

The truth is, she’s just become part of Earth’s only shield against the monsters of the warps.
Published July 14th 2015 by Glass House Press (first published July 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Blood in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood in the Water

Start your review of Blood in the Water
Jacqueline Simonds
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BLOOD IN THE WATER is one of those pieces of fiction you know the moment you start to read it will stay with you long after you read the last word. Tash McAdam manages to - with a few quick brushstrokes - create a world that is tantalizingly im/possible. Something's going on: there's menace, there's possibly world-ending catastrophe... there's a really boring classroom lecture as listened to by Hallie, the ADD Main Character. And of course, there's snogging (because what's the point of trying to ...more
Carrie White
Absolutely impossible to classify this new series from Tash, in terms of genre, but I know one thing: I couldn't put it down, and Tash has become one of my top 10 authors of all time. The characters are typical of Tash -- stunningly three dimensional, unique, and surprising you at every twist and turn, and the concept of this new series doesn't disappoint. I adore the world. I adore the idea. And I'm sitting on my hands trying to keep from getting into the editing of the next book!
Ula
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*ARC review*

LGBT YA fantasy with magic?! Sign me up.
It's a short novella, but it's packed with action and sets a great starting point for the first book. It has a unique heroine, an awesome world full of monsters, and magic wielders fighting evil. It's also witty and funny, and I am eagerly awaiting this kickassery!
Camille Lecointre
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devoured
Oh man. You know that feeling you get when you just finished reading something awesome and you really want to leave a review but you don't know how you can use words well enough to truly express how awesome the book was? Yeah, that.

This is the second novella I've read by Tash McAdam, and I'm having a moment of great anguish because I now have to wait to read the next instalments. Haven't I suffered enough with George R R Martin?

Seriously though. I don't much read urban fantasy and m
Mary Fan
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rips between our dimension and others have always threatened Earth. Called warps, they allow demons and monsters from other worlds to enter ours. The Protectorate guards the world against them, sending warriors out to fight the creatures and weavers out to seal the breaches before more can come through. Then, others with special abilities wipe the memories of the populace, so at the end of the day, the people are safe and none the wiser.

Blood in the Water follows teenaged weaver Hall
Alex West
I might be thirty by the time I stop acting like a magical Geiger counter and magnet. I'll be stuck with this lot for the next fifteen years. Until then, our job is to prevent the different dimensions from bleeding into one another until everything is dark and destroyed.

No problem.

This sassy little novella is the second offering from Tash McAdam, who impressed me with SLAM. Like Slam, Blood in the Water is pretty much non-stop action, except for the somewhat frustrating opening chapter where wthirty
George Ebey
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story comes at you with some big ideas and delivers on every front.

Hallie is a Weaver, endowed with the ability close rifts between our world and other dimensions who wish to do us harm. Still a bit green, she is called into action when a new doorway is suddenly opened. I won’t divulge what manner of creepy critter is trying to make it to our side, but as you can tell from the title, it thrives in the water. And it isn’t friendly.

Tash is an action fan’s gift. The pace is fast, the charact
Boundless Book Reviews
This is a very short read. Which, I don't mind Novellas. This one was done well. We have Hallie who's a weaver and basically shuts doors that open. And the doors that open, have these monsters that like to push through. She's a teenager and also is filled with a lot of humor and sarcasm. Also, she really doesn't like school that much.

After a boring lecture, there's an emergency. One that she was kind of looking for. Since she was so bored. She's jealous of the Warriors, since they ha
Emma Gecks
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this while taking the train to work. My train arrived at the station right in the middle of some very intense action and I almost missed the stop! I then proceeded to block the station so I could find a good stopping point, standing near the ticket barriers.

A gripping story, fast paced, with lots of action (sea serpents!) which really draws you in. The main character "Hallie" is a well-meaning but slightly sarcastic teenager who is bored in class and occasionally distracted by
Amanda Lyles
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this novella. It started out slowly but then became very fast paced. I loved Hallie's interactions with the other characters. By the end of the story I really felt she had grown as a person for the better. She was taking the whole situation much more seriously, which she definitely needed to. I would love to read more books with her and her world in them.
Marie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Monsters. Magic. Fun! I couldn't put this new novella by Tash McAdam down! An excellent female main character, witty dialogue and easy to follow world development of a universe I can't wait to learn more about, all lead to a great introduction to the Warp Weaver series.
Joseph
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this e-book for an honest review.

Blood in the Water is a prequel novella in a series called ‘Warp Weavers’.

To me the writing is done quite well, especially as it’s a short read sometimes it’s hard to devote enough emotion, action, enthralment into it.
The author, Tash McAdam, has done a really good job with this though, as it does draw enough emotion to bring this book to life and make it very intriguing!

In this story we follow Hallie
Christie
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The reason this book didn't receive a higher rating from me is probably because I just finished another novella that was absolutely incredible. I know it can be hard to fit everything in to such a short story, but I have seen it done really well, whereas this one seemed to flounder. To me, this book felt like an introduction and I never really felt the connection to any of the characters except for Hallie.
Fiona Leung
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(I received a copy from the author in exchange for my honest review)

Blood in the Water is a prequel to the Warp Weavers series.

Hallie is an ordinary teenager until she's called to join the Protectorate which is a mystical school for warriors, warlocks and weavers. She's a weaver who has the power to open and close doors between dimensions. She's responsible for sealing up breaches to keep demons out from this world.

She's only been at the Protectorate for about
Anaura Chen
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Blood in the Water is a prequel novella, set in the YA urban fantasy universe of the Warp Weavers series. It covers a day in the life of Hallie, a London-dwelling teen with unusual powers.

Hallie goes to the Protectorate, a kind of academy where she’s learning how to be a weaver--a person who can close the doors between realities. Obvious comparisons exist with the X mansion from X-Men (the Protectorate even has a professor named Javier who shaves his head), and other school-based urb
Mary
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book in exchange for a fair review.

Hallie is a Weaver who can weave rifts closedand this novella is just one day in her life. I'm sorry but I just couldn't get into this book. Hallie is a immature teen who isn't doing well in school (the Protectorate-run training ground for those who fight what comes out of the rifts) because she just can't focus.

The last bit (very small bit) of the book is about the Protectorate's fight with some underwater serpents. That's what sav
Kimberly
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Fast-paced and well written, Blood in the Water features a snarky, immature-but-learning protagonist, sea serpents, London setting, and Hogwarts-meets-Buffy school I wish I could go to. I read it in one sitting. I'll definitely read the sequels.
Elaine Howlin
This was a really quick read and although it was a bit slow to start, it was a very exciting story. Hallie is a little whiny but she grows into a character you root for and she is pretty entertaining as well.
I would be interested in reading a full novel set in this world.
Di Stefano
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novella ticks all the boxes.
An exciting, fast moving, page turning all action adventure - Yes
But also with good characterisation, detail, imagination & humour.
A great read, I couldn't put it down.
Tash McAdam
Sep 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
You can read my other book, SLAM, on Wattpad https://www.wattpad.com/user/TashMcAdam

And find out more on my website, www.tashmcadam.com
Di Stefano
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella ticks all the boxes.
An exciting, fast moving, page turning all action adventure - Yes
But also with good characterisation, detail, imagination & humour.
A great read, I couldn't put it down.
Jonathan Sheridan-Jones
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great little book, alive characters, you feel as if you know them, matches real people in an unreal world, really enjoyed it.
Lissa Rice
(4) Received a review request, in exchange for an honest review. Review will be up on Boundless Book Reviews.
Anatoly
added it
Sep 28, 2015
Fickle Fiona
Oct 28, 2015
Tash is a Welsh-Canadian author and teacher. They've been published in multiple anthologies, and their first personal release, a YA novella called SLAM was an international bestseller. Their debut series, The Psionics, is being released in full over 2019, from Nine Star Press.

When they're not writing, they're usually found teaching either Computer Science or English in Vancouver. Tash identifies