Start by marking “War of the Undead Day One (The Apocalypse Crusade #1)” as Want to Read:
War of the Undead Day One (The Apocalypse Crusade #1)

War of the Undead Day One

(The Apocalypse Crusade #1)

In an apocalypse there is definitely a beginning where mistakes are made and the seeds of evil are allowed to sprout and take shape. However, an end is not so certain. Once an Apocalypse occurs not even death is certain. Sometimes death is only the beginning.
At first light that morning, Dr Lee steps into the Walton facility on the initial day of human trials; she can bare
Published February 10th 2015 (first published December 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about War of the Undead Day One, please sign up.
Peter Meredith Hello Stephanie,
Hello Stephanie,
First off, thanks so much. It's very kind of you to say such nice things. I have been working on Crusade 2 for the last two month and I'm almost ready to wrap up the first draft. I hope for a mid August release date.
P(less)

Start your review of War of the Undead Day One (The Apocalypse Crusade #1)
Bogdan
The beginning was interesting, some good characters were introduced, the ideea of a cure that reverses it's effects was also well thinked, the zombies had theirs pluses and originality, but after the first half of the book I lost my interest in it. ...more
Paul
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Add a little bit of this to a little bit of that.... POOF!
ZOMBIES!

And so it was - the genesis of the Zomboids. Just like Davros was to the Daleks, so (it seems) was Dr Lee to the Zombies. I’ve read quite a few zombie stories now. Heaps in fact, and it’s hard to give our slavering, wobbly-booted brethren a fresh look,(Hmm. "Fresh", is probably not the right word) but our clever author has made his story blessedly different. I hope that it is translated into a movie because, quite frankly, many o
Christopher Jessulat
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
The 2 words that strike me in contemplating this review are "lazy" and "pedantic." Minimal effort was invested to establish even a hint of intrigue, characters routinely introduced just to have them killed off over the next ~3 pages, minimal story telling and - put bluntly - poor taste, even as an attempt at "shock" doctrine.

Be forewarned there is strong, persistent racist language (which I understand isn't palatable to most folks, but it can be correctly used in some pieces, this was simply ov
Tim Mercer
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one. The reason for the zombie outbreak is different from the normal generic "something" and is quite specific for a change. Reminded me of Mira Grant's Feed which was great. It covers the way a cure for cancer ends up going wrong via an embedded agent provocateur who sabotages the treatment. Then it moves through the immediate spread of the infection through the local area and is told well.

The prologue is needed as after that it is a bit slow for the first 1/4 but after that it r
Gary
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give this one points for originality regarding the cause of the zombie outbreak, it’s entertaining and moves along well. Not sure I’m liking it as much as his Undead World series yet, but I just downloaded book 2 as I am anxious to see where this goes.
Marcie Pfeifer
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting zombie book

I liked it a lot. I liked the way it's written and the zombies that can think a bit, even if they are assholes (can I say that in a review?). I'm going to start the second book now! Highly recommend.
BookLoversLife
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This. Was. Awesome!!!

Dr Lee is a brilliant doctor and has managed to find a cure for lung cancer. Her dream come true, and with the cure ready for human tests and the new Walton facility ready, she is ready! unbeknownst to her though, one of her colleagues is a spy and is giving all her data to the Chinese government. He has also sabotaged her cure knowing that it won't work, but what both don't know is that the cure will turn their subjects into blood and flesh eating Zombies.

Plot wise, I abs
Michael
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing

First off, I have to disclose I got this audiobook as a free review copy from Audiobookboom. However, I already owned the kindle edition of this book, and have purchased many other books by Peter Meredith (including the second book in this series, which I am listening to as I write this review), so getting a review copy is a welcome opportunity.

I love apocalyptic fiction. I must have hundreds in my audiobook collection. However, I have to say I personally prefer the ones covering the fall, where
Ralph Jones
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book hooks you in from the first chapter where a young girl eviscerates some unfortunate who picks her up hitchhiking. The main characters are then colourfully introduced (all lung cancer sufferers) before the main plot-line starts where they are taken to be 'cured'. Their therapy is sabotaged with the unfortunate result of turning them all into blood-crazed and highly infectious zombies.
The good: Excellent character and plot development. Good mix of horror and humour and overall very entert
Anthony D Christophers
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic take on the zombie genre

This book is simply outstanding. The characters come alive and the story is uniquely told through the eyes of everyone involved, dead and undead alike. The birth of the disease and the way it affects the infected is brilliant. Can't wait for Parr 2.
Paul Malaney
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Loved this story strong characters a good story . A twist on the zombie story told from the beginning not after it had started would highly recommend this book ten out of ten for me definitely will be getting the rest of the series
Diane Gordon
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished Day 1

Read straight through it & go nothing else done this weekend. Exciting read for the zombie apocalypse fans. Trying not to start Day 2 until I get some work finished. Lol
Julian
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-audio
What an excellent example of a great zombie book. The best unfolding of an infection I have ever read. I cant wait to sink my teeth into the next book in the series. I hope it can live up to this one.
Micheal Young
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Now I normally read space opera, starship battles and such, I stumbled upon this book, and read it in one sitting. Grossly entertaining.
Michael Harmon
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book.

This book has amazing take on zombies. Zombies attack and eat flesh but why? If you want a good explanation read this book.

Dear Mr Meredith,

High five sir, high five.
mike frazier
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read

This book is really not my genre but since Peter Meredith wrote it I gave it a chance.it was definitely worth it and am looking forward to the next one.
Kitty
Read : January 8, 2021
Rating : 2,5 Stars

This started out good but slid into molasses like slowness which made me skim from about 50% in but I managed to struggle trough.

The reason for the zombies was actually kinda creepy cool, I liked the fact that this was a little different than most zombie books.

The biggest creep factor, for me, was the fact that some of the infected retained a little intelligence and reasoning.

My fav zombie books are the mindless shamblers but this was not bad either.

Th
Darren
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
TITLE: The Apocalypse Crusade: War of the Undead Day One

AUTHOR: Peter Meredith

GENRE: Horror

PAGES: 328

FORMAT: E-book

Okay, I will be the first to admit that I was hesitant going into this one. I mean zombies? Aren’t they overdone by now?

Well, if you are Peter Meredith, or a Peter Meredith fan (which I have now become) the answer is NO! I was delightfully surprised as to how easy it was for me to get sucked into this book.

There is a cure for cancer on the horizon. After a few trials, it can be rele
Leann
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zombie Genre Master, Peter Meredith, Begins Exciting New Saga

An packed, believable ride through the first 24 hours of an outbreak caused by human greed and spread by sheer stupidity and political bumbling. Meredith’s first book in this series won’t disappoint fans as he weaves an engrossing tale of a sabotaged medical trial that instead of curing cancer infects nearly everyone involved despite the meticulously followed containment procedures. As the infected devolve into rage filled, voracious,
Orange35
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The book fluctuates between 2.5-3 stars for me, I can't decide which to settle on. The book has a really good idea and take on zombies and how they're created and act like (boy are they assholes) but the actions of both the first/main and secondary characters made me so very, very frustrated at times, so frustrated that I was almost screaming at the page with what they did. They came across as WAY too incompetent and fond of making stupid decisions as well as a number of them being way too arrog ...more
Oles Malytskyy
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was ok
This is a pulpy zombie book, no one is expecting Stephen King here. But the characters are outrageous stereotypes. All the good guys are good ole boys from the south or tough army men, all the women have beautiful bodies. The authors seems to feel the need to interject his political opinions no matter what point of view he's writing from. Please tell me why the Chinese spy has a long internal monologue about how "its a point of pride to steal someone else's work in China". How does it help for o ...more
Ian M. Walker
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Draws one in quickly, grips tightly and doesn't let go.

Draws one in quickly, grips tightly and doesn't let go.

Some books are slow burners, some just don't intrigue one very quickly. This is not one of those. I was quickly hooked and particularly enjoyed the background stories on the people we can surmise are going to be the early victims. It was reminiscent of a couple of my favourite British horror authors from when I was a teen.

One interesting component for me was that, despite having read th
Jason Thomas
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I like Peter Meredith's zombie fiction, and this one is a worthwhile addition to his repertoire.

Lots of world-building, lots of detail, lots of gore and all that good stuff. It's quite a bit longer than your average zombie thriller, and I did find myself wondering when the story was going to start. The inciting incident is too far along in the book for my taste, but then the author is trying to setup a whole series, so I suppose in that context it might make sense.

I have read other work
Shanna Tidwell
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing!
I love the almost minute by minute retelling of the different things happening all simultaneously. The characters are very well written and fleshed out.
I’m excited to see where the story goes.
Will they actually find a cure before its to late?
Is anyone actually immune? So many questions and the only way to get answers is to get the rest of the series ASAP! This has been a wild ride & getting wilder!

I was voluntarily provided this review copy at no charge by the author, publi
Arely Ayala
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The concept of the book is so good, I like the plot and its twist on getting zombies. It is a slow start but in the beginning; when being introduced to the characters you get a lot of prejudices from the characters. I understand you wanting to develop a character but having characters say racial slurs and speak in exaggerated "southern" accents really turned me off. I did not click with any of the characters but towards the end it gets a bit better. I really had to work at finishing the book. ...more
Dave
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better the second time around

Rarely do I forget what I read, especially when it’s a good book, but the “Crusade War” seems like a new story. The names are very familiar and I remember being disappointed about Deckard in book 4 but I love meeting them all again as if we are old friends who’ve been out of touch for a while. Can’t wait to get back into the rest of the books now that 5 is out!!
Candy Robosky
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the different take on zombies but found the outrageous stereotypes off putting. The language was also too much as I get that it is needed to set up a character but the amount used felt excessive . The characters also felt at times to be inconsistent in behaviors. I did appreciate the honesty of how slow the government and others would be on actually believing and reacting to the problem.
Connie Zinsmeister
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent "undead" tale.

If you want to know how this could happen, here it is. Developed characters pull you along on a speedy ride through a disaster due to the greed of two people who don't realize what each other has done. It descends into a helll in the research center. A fantastic read.
Amy Mcnea
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I don’t want to give anything away & I feel like I’m bad at reviews so I will just say this book does not disappoint. I was thoroughly entertained , pleasantly surprised at a newish type of zombie & as soon as I finished this book I purchased the 2nd one to read. Just buy it, read it & enjoy. You will be glad you did.
John Pablo
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horror Origins Rock!

Although zombie fiction has existed for a long time the memorable ones are those that elaborate the details as to the origins of the outbreak and this story provides a reasonable scientific explanation to which readers may believe the possibility of an apocalypse by zombie resulting in a desire to the end of the story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dead Eye Hunt (Dead Eye Hunt #1)
  • Rise of the Ram's  (Safe Haven, #1)
  • World Departed (Cascadia #1)
  • Deadbreak
  • Tales of the Forgotten (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #2)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The End of Everything: Book 2
  • The End of Everything: Book 3
  • The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Edge of Defiance (Edge of Collapse, #5)
  • The Night Parade
  • Survive (Sundown #2)
  • The End of Everything: Book 4
  • Ship of the Dead (Omega Days, #2)
  • Prepared (Sundown #1)
  • The Void (36, #2)
  • Darkness in the Blood
  • The End of Everything: Book 5
Peter Meredith is the multi-genre author of an author of 35 novels in a variety of genres: Horror, zombies, post-apocalypse and Fantasy. Some of his creative work includes The Trilogy of Void, The Hidden Lands series, The Sacrificial Daughter, A Perfect America, Sprite and The Apocalypse Undead World.
Having tried his hand in real estate, as an emergency room nurse, and a CEO of a national lighting

The Apocalypse Crusade (5 books)
  • War of the Undead Day Two (The Apocalypse Crusade #2)
  • War of the Undead Day Three (The Apocalypse Crusade #3)
  • War of the Undead Day Four (The Apocalypse Crusade #4)
  • War of the Undead Day V (The Apocalypse Crusade #5)

News & Interviews

“he could see there were many people just like him: people alone and in pain, on the outside of life looking in.” 0 likes
“problem. These people tore the catheters from their arms” 0 likes