Start by marking “All Deliberate Speed: Reflections on the First Half-Century of Brown v. Board of Education” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In what John Hope Franklin calls "an essential work" on race and affirmative action, Charles Ogletree, Jr., tells his personal story of growing up a "Brown baby" against a vivid pageant of historical characters that includes, among others, Thurgood Marshall, Martin Luther King, Jr., Earl Warren, Anita Hill, Alan Bakke, and Clarence Thomas. A measured blend of personal memo ...more
Published November 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton Company (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about All Deliberate Speed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Deliberate Speed

Jonathan Berry-Smith
Ogletree signed a copy of this book for me nearly a decade ago, but I only now got around to giving it a read. The first hundred pages or so seemed to really speak to me, and I was kicking myself for waiting so long to open this part memoir/part biography/part history lesson. However, this book loses its luster and inspirational message about midway through - goes too in depth about a certain Associate Justice on the Supreme Court - and I had to labor to make it through the rest. Despite this se ...more
Tom Leland
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Be ready for some legalese, but a remarkably astute study of how Brown vs. Board of Education has been neglected, sidestepped and devalued. Also a scathing expose on the hypocritical Clarence Thomas. If you still have any question about how racism has permeated every corner of American life to the detriment of African-Americans, this book will set you straight.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but then lost interest about halfway through. I think it offers a lot of good information, and I like that it shows history through the personal view of Professor Ogletree. It's probably best, though, for someone not as well-versed in Brown v. Board and its aftermath :)
Nora
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I already knew most of the stuff in this book, but it was still interesting, especially the personal stuff... Ogletree was there for a lot of the stuff he writes about, so he's an incredibly impassioned writer, which I like. So sad the empty (and broken) promises of Brown v. Board...
Ambfolibrary