Start by marking “Mendacious” as Want to Read:
Mendacious

Mendacious

MENdacious
men|da¦cious

1. Not telling the truth; lying.
2. Based on lies.

At the young, naive age of twenty-three, Alex Lewis believed in the deepness of his love and the strength of his marriage to, Libby, his teenage sweetheart. Married for three years, but struggling financially to keep a roof over their heads, Alex thought his wife would stand by him till the bitter end.
Published January 26th 2015 by Beth Ashworth

To ask other readers questions about Mendacious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mendacious

Eliza

Rating: 3 "scheming" stars
Cliffhanger: No
HEA: (view spoiler)

photo E7135754-748C-42C2-A90A-DDBAFE1FAF54_zpsypsjxihi.jpg

Although Alex Lewis is a successful business man, his greatest failure has been the dissolution of his marriage after being blindsided by his wife's betrayal seven years prior. A recent development brings her back into his life and when the opportunity for revenge presents itself, he grasps it with both hands.

photo 0A1A8273-A4AF-4F58-BF2D-478E8314EAC6_zpskgtijzhd.gif

Quite early on i
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
★★★ 3 Stars ★★★

Alex Lewis lives in Birmingham in the Midlands of England. He married early on in life and his biggest regret is the failure of his marriage to Libby. 7 years later he is a successful and ruthless business man.

When his lawyer and best friend come to him with a plan to exact revenge on his ex wife by taking over her lingerie business, he jumps at the chance to take her down and make her suffer for the way she treated him.

They end up working together from the same office and the lov
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
OMG I need a freaking break! Review to come.
Mariℓina
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good i hoped it would be! Sadly, although the idea behind it was very compelling, something didn't work quite right.

Told exclusively from the hero's POV, it tends to be a little too much at points. Alex is not the ideal character to have a good time inside his mind, mostly a cocky, obnoxious bastard with a too big idea for himself, he treats the people who love him badly and with no respect.

I usually am all for the bad boy, the one that you probably want to kill while he sleeps, but this
Beth
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Beta feedback - Check!

Editor feedback - Check!

Proofing feedback - Check!

Mendacious - Done!

The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog
Review: Jo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHopelessR...
Blog: http://thehopelessromanticsbookblog.b...
TSU: https://www.tsu.co/HopelessRomantics

"I'm the bastard ex-husband who wants to see her fail. It's brilliant."
With a cool title and a fabulous cover, "Mendacious" grabbed my attention immediately. I couldn't wait to read Beth's new novel. In this story I was introduced to Alex Lewis, a cocky, arrogant and ruthless man who was determined to dominate the world of investments. Alex was
Rosalin
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-or-dual-pov
3.5/4 stars

Never heard of this author before but I’ll be checking out her other works. Mendacious was highly entertaining. But I needed more.

For starters… this is entirely told from the hero’s POV but when it comes to a failed marriage, man, I need both sides of the story. Besides I wanted a little peek of how their marriage life was back then. The prologue wasn’t even close to enough.

I also found myself skimming the parts where Alex is obsessing over some random chick’s legs and some lame ass
Adriane Leigh
Nov 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Woohoo!! Got an ARC of this bad boy! I've heard it's amazing!!
Karen Mc
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
***Received an ARC for an honest review by Bookalicious Babes Blog***

Mendacious, written from the man's point of view, is raw, funny, witty, entertaining, and steamy. It's a second-chance romance story with a few twists, turns, back-stabbing, and stalking along the way. Alex is a hot CEO who has women throwing themselves at his feet.

"I'm Alex Lewis after all. The multi-millionaire with a jackhammer-sized cock. There's not a woman alive that doesn't want a piece of this. And that's the [fricking]
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I made the mistake of starting this book while eating breakfast. I thought I'd just read a few pages but oh no I ended up sitting and reading it all.

I totally love Alex. He's a hot sexy alpha male. When his wife divorced him he threw himself into work. He struggles to move on from her. Seven years later she's back in his life and he wants revenge. But is revenge covering his true feelings for Libby?

This book is told through Alex's point of view. Although I didn't relate to Libby as much as I'd h
Lustful Literature
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
**JOSIE'S 4.5 STAR REVIEW**

Mendacious is a fast read that is filled with angst, revenger, betrayal, twists and turns, surprises and a really hot British guy. I am a sucker for British men. I think it is the words bullocks and knickers. This is my first time reading a novel by Beth Ashworth and it certainly won’t be the last. She does an amazing job with the plot, character development and flow. I could not put this one down.

After his wife Libby walked out on him Alex has become a bitter and cold
Lorena  Garcia -- Brittany's Book Blog
**Received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review**

Wow, I was a little shocked when I started reading this book and realized that it was on his POV. I am so used to reading the female's POV and afterwards in the sequel or trilogy the male's POV comes along. This was the first and probably the only book for this title and I have to say that I was very impressed having to read a male's POV first instead of the female's.

I was enthralled with Alex Lewis, a sexy, domineering and very d
Jo
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"She's the girl I can't forget."

Elizabeth "Libby" Lewis comes back into her ex husband's life through a series of seemingly coincidental events and he feels it's the perfect opportunity for revenge of the broken heart she left him with 7 long years ago.

They each have differing views of what led to their divorce and secrets were kept and lies told. But the CEO of AL Investments is not entirely the man he was at age 23.

"I'm Alex Lewis after all. The multi-millionaire with a jackhammer-sized coc
Sibylla Matilde
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loooooooved Alex! I loved him right at the beginning when he was heartbroken. I loved the cocky bastard he became. I loved his self-discovery. And through his eyes, we see Libby. Her own heartache and determination and vulnerability. We see the depth of love between them, even as they drifted apart.

Beth's writing is so full of life, and it just gets better and better. Her characters jump off the page. They make me laugh and make me sniffle. They make me hot.

This is a phenomenal second-chance r
Mariana Lee
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it! It's a great story where true love conquers all and shows that it's never too late to put things right. I read this in a day, this is a real page turner, I just had to know how it was all going to end. I loved the fact that it was set in a place I'm familiar with so I was able to visualise the different location which for me made the story more real.great book Beth!
Aman
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. Mendacious was okay, could have been better.
Di
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-10-authors, arc
I couldn't wait to get my grubby hands on this book. From the minute I knew Beth was working on it, I was impatiently waiting for the release date. Then, there it was. Sitting so pretty in my Kindle. So I did what I had been wanting to do for months and dived right in. That was it, I was swallowed right up. I couldn't get enough of Alex. He was so broken inside, but on the outside he was keeping up appearances by using every means available to him, to look complete and together. Unfortunately, h ...more
Melissa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Mendacious by Beth Ashworth

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Seven years ago Alex and Libby's marriage fell apart, Alex never seemed to move on past Libby. While his luck and savvy business knowledge have increased and resulted in him being much more successful that when he was married to Libby he was has been unable to find love again. A once in a lifetime take over comes across Alex's desk and he is unable to turn it down, a chance to buy out Libby's new company
Romance Readers Retreat
Argh! I found this novel rather frustrating but I certainly didn't hate it either.

The story opens with a brief prologue, setting the scene without giving very much away at all.

Skip ahead 7 years...and we get to know Alex Lewis. He's driven, career obsessed and very successful.
He's egotistical but somehow still likable. His need for revenge drives him and an opportunity suddenly presents itself.

I found Libby to be very irritating. I couldn't summon much empathy for her and didn't feel like sh
Erin Paige Bixby
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC REVIEW WATCH OUT FOR SPOILERS

This story line was great. I love second chance romances. This one was a little bit different. There was a lot of drama and intrigue in this story. There were not a lot of love scenes. This story was about revenge for past wrongs and learning to love again. I loved that the main characters didn't just see each other and fall back in love immediately. They have loved each other all through the years of their divorce. But they understand that they have to thoroughl
Tracey
I've read dual PoV and thoroughly enjoyed them, so when I realised this was just from Alex's point of view I was quite excited, I was right to be too, as it was interesting, funny and moving.

Libby, left Alex seven years ago, it's not been easy for her but she's made a success of herself, but now there lives are about to crash together again. Alex wants revenge on Libby, but upon seeing one another again, things change.

Another thing about this book that added to my enjoyment is the fact its based
Tracy
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really good read. I feel like I didn't have a lot of angst or much feeling about the book, but it really carried you on. The story of a couple who divorced because they were to young to be married, and the hubby was a workaholic and the wife was feeling neglected.. needy. They divorce... connect 7 years later and try to screw each other over, except they realize they actually still love each other and the rest is history.
The ride along the way is pretty entertaining though.
I'd sugge
Raj
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars

The story was exciting from the very start. I like the writing style, I didn't get bored though towards the ending, the excitement waned a bit but it was okay.

Written in the hero's POV. I enjoyed it.

It took awhile before the main characters saw each other.

I didn't expect the story to be great, I had a high expectation on a previous novel that I've read and It was disappointing so I dropped all the high expectations to avoid disappointment, but thank god this novel was good!

I love the c
Sammy
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars

I rate my books on how much the story consumed me, how involved I become with the characters or the story... so for me this was a disappointing read. I found it boring... I just couldn't get excited about the book. I couldn't wait for the book to end.
Vivienne Kauffer
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fictional-arcs
Reviewed on behalf of Fictional Mens Room...

READ AND REVIEWED ON BEHALF OF FICTIONAL MENS PAGE FOR BOOK HOS

Jill
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alex and Libby, you almost ruined everything for me but, luckily you redeemed yourself.

I struggle to write this review because everything I want to say ends up being a spoiler. So, go grab this book and read it for yourself. I think you'll enjoy it as I did.
Jessica
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Storyline was intriguing, but something was missing. I didn't get that wow factor after reading the book. It was just ok, nothing too gripping or captivating.
Raj
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this book I actually almost forgot the heroine's name,the plot line,the hot sex scenes because I was so absolutely fascinated with the heroine's ex husband Alex's fixation,dare I say obsession with Holli's legs in almost every chapter.What was the author's intention to put so much emphasis on those AMAZING legs?

Alex musings:

Chapter 3

I take my time taking in every inch of her. The dress fits her slightly curvaceous frame to perfection and I can’t help but stare.Those legs of hers ... Jesu
Mazmum
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book Review - Mendacious by Beth Ashworth - **** bittersweet stars

Mendacious was one of those books when I totally judged a book by it’s cover. More fool me then, because I was expecting an alpha asshole.

What I got instead was so much better, that rare thinking piece that examines a ‘normal’ relationship and the rot that can set in and corrode a relationship, if you don’t keep talking and checking the health of it.

Seven years ago Alex’s wife walked out on him. Since then, he’s avoided any possib
books are love
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I had a issue with Libby. She acted really indignant and like Alex was out for revenge and was deceitful and yet she treated him with disdain when she found out he was doing the same. except Alex wasn’t following through with it and Libby continued to.

This was a interesting book about love that grew apart but never left. Years later with both feeling raw and like they were wronged opportunity comes for both of them to get revenge although Libby’s was really alot worse that Alex’s. At least when
Fifty Shades of R...: February ~ 2015 BOTM ~ Mendacious by Beth Ashworth 2 61 Feb 24, 2015 08:38AM

• Evanescent Ink
  • Obsession (Obsession, #1)
  • Souls ReAligned (Bound4Ireland, #2)
  • Piece by Piece (West End #3)
  • My Brother, My Rival (My Brother, My Rival, #2)
  • Blindsight: The Series (Complete Erotic STANDALONE)
  • Broken Ever After (Ever After, #1)
  • Secrets Unveiled (Secrets, #2)
  • All of Me (The Trust Me Trilogy, #3)
  • Unremarkable (Anything But, #2)
  • An Acute Attraction (The Attraction Series, #1)
  • Saving Avery
  • Sands of Betrayal (Kilted Desire, #1)
  • Paradise Forbidden
  • Weeping Willow

Beth Ashworth was born in Manchester, but shortly moved to the modest city of Coventry where she was raised and still resides now.

As an avid reader from a very early age, Beth has always been keen to put her words onto paper. As a child she was always found with either a book in her hand, a pen and notepad or a computer games controller.

Starting off by initially writing alternate endings to he