Start by marking “Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)” as Want to Read:
Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)

Scion of Ikshvaku

(Ram Chandra #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  23,542 ratings  ·  1,661 reviews
Ram Rajya. The Perfect Land. But perfection has a price. He paid that price.

3400 BCE. INDIA
Ayodhya is weakened by divisions. A terrible war has taken its toll. The damage runs deep. The demon King of Lanka, Raavan, does not impose his rule on the defeated. He, instead, imposes his trade. Money is sucked out of the empire. The Sapt Sindhu people descend into poverty, despon
Paperback, First Edition, 354 pages
Published June 22nd 2015 by Westland Publication (first published May 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Scion of Ikshvaku, please sign up.
Mansi To start it off, the mythological stories of the hindu lords have a wide gamut of experience to be offered! It doesn't start and end at the point…moreTo start it off, the mythological stories of the hindu lords have a wide gamut of experience to be offered! It doesn't start and end at the point where in our childhood we were told stories about them, it goes far beyond it!
History is one thing that never ceases to amaze me, despite the fact that I too as an "indian child" have been raised with the knowledge and stories of our glorious past.
What the author is trying to achieve is not to tell the same old stories again and again, but, on the other hand he is trying to take inspiration from the characteristics, the philosophy and the religious practices of our great ancestors and create a new story describing the great past to the wide audience.
If you have read "The Shiva Trilogy", you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.(less)
Anirudh Vyas page 6, line 19, The cover potrays Ram shooting an arrow(in vain) at the pushpak viman when Raavan kidnapped sita.

Swapnil Tembe
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read Scion of Ikshvaku. Like me, i am sure many who loved the Shiva Trilogy would be disappointed to some extent. Here are some goods and bads.

Goods
1) The ocean of imagination knows no bounds when it comes to Amish. One of the reasons why we fell in love with the first trilogy. It continues to some extent.
2) Connecting these to the Vayuputras and Nagas discussed in this previous books.
3) Character building.
4) A great Cover design (Not sure if it qualifies here!)

Bads
1) This first book is plain si
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-ever
I have not read this book, and do not plan to. This is a troll review, posted to express my resentment at an idiot murdering Indian mythology to line his pockets. So sue me!

-----------------------------------

I am going to resign my engineering job and write a novel on Lord Krishna. In my novel, he will be gay - to hide which fact, he marries multiple women. Also, Kamsa will be a benevolent lower-caste ruler, who is treacherously killed by Krishna at the behest of his upper-caste cronies.

I think
Avanthika
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bending and re-telling the actual story with whooping level of imagination is Amish’s usual way of entertaining and he strikes again, “The Scion Of Ikshvaku” is for the people who do not whole-heartedly believe in the Raamayan.

Ram. The prince of Sapt Sindhu. Son of Chakravartin Samrat Dasarat. Yet he is considered inauspicious and his birth year is marked as tainted 7032 for the defeat Dasarat faced. While Sapt Sindu is facing bankruptcy, Raavan’s Lanka is blooming with golden streets. Ram know
Charn Singh
Jun 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: misc
Is there any particular reason for rewriting an epic that’s more than perfect in its own originality? Answer is yes- to prove the lack of inspiration. Or perhaps just to show-case inexcusable mind-numbing dilution to which such an epitome can be reduced to.

Unfortunately, this blockbuster "Scion of Ikshvaku" is a clichéd, redundant, naïve, and pretentious presentation, where writing has relatively little character or style. It is thus clearly evident from first few pages, that Amish is failure at
Swetha
Jul 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Though the scene in the cover looks like a young Milkha Singh aiming his bow at a helicopter, it is apparently a bearded Lord Ram shooting at the Pushpaka Viman which has rotary blades. If covers speak volume, this serves the same purpose that a machine on mute does.

Amish Tripathi borrowed the characters and setting of the Ramayana, made it the continuation of The Shiva Trilogy and then used his own imagination. IIM did him well and Ramayana played the perfect marketing tool to catch the attenti
Saloni
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Should be retitled "How To Give Mythology A Screw Over".
Vishnu Chevli
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Before I begin let me clear this was not a review copy. I actually bought it within the first month of release and I have received author signed steel bookmark with the book as well.

Now coming to the author, Amish Tripathi, I had three spans in last 15 years in which I was drawn towards reading. The first one was due to the Harry Potter series and that span continued for 2-3 months. Next two spans started with Amish Tripathi's Shiva Trilogy. And It is till date in my favorite top five book serie
Rahul Khatri
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zip-Zap-Zoom Read ........ !

After re-introducing Lord Shiva in Shiva Triology , Amish Tripathi has pen down the Scion Of Ikshvaku , Ist of instalment in Ram Chandra Series .As the book was exclusively available on Amazon , I Recieved my Pre-ordered Copy Yesterday and once I start reading , it kept me hooked till the very end . Truly Spell Bounding Ist Instalment as The Immortal of Meluha was from Shiva Trilogy was .

FRONT COVER ~
Front Cover which is beautifully designed . Front Cover secures the
Ashish Iyer
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amish's Shiva Trilogy - The Immortals of Meluha, The Secret of the Nagas and The Oath of the Vayuputras has attracted a wide and devoted audience since its publication.

Scion of Ikshvaku is Amish's version of the Ramayan. It's Amish fictional and interpretation of the tale of Lord Ram and Lady Sita. Book is fast-paced adventure based on several versions of the Ramayan, melded with historical theories and imagination. The story tracks the journey of Ram, the son of Dashrath and the founder of wha
Shwetha Anand
Jun 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Less said the better. Forget acceptable standards of literature, is it too much to ask for a decent read that doesn't involve inane statements like" Shukracharya was from Egypt"?? Well apparently it is..
Shravanthi
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok

Hmmm....Yeah, so I read this 'Ramayana remake'. Didn't like it. Well okay....maybe I liked only tiny portions. Kinda-sorta okayish book I'd say.

Ram is born on the day of Dhasharath's first defeat against Raavan!(preposterous, and ridiculously twisted) This victimizes Ram in Dhasharath's eye. The King blames his first defeat on the new born. How is a baby responsible for a king's blunders in war? I don't know. But it says a lot about how much we suck. As a community that buys into such idiotic be
Sookie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
The book is set in same universe as that of the Meluha trilogy. And like Meluha trilogy, this novel has to be read without constant comparison to Ramayana as we have come to know. Treat this story how you treat any other characters that are loosely based on popular mythology. If done well, this can be an interesting trilogy, even better than Meluha perhaps.

Amish delivers his own (not entirely original) brand of philosophy as he explains Gods and their roles in the world. It would have given the
Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amish Tripathi, the master story teller, does it again!
Scion of Ikshvaku is a retelling of Ramayana. This is Amish's version of the Epic. The story starts with the birth of Lord Ram, hardships he faces and how he tries to establish the perfect society, the RAM RAJYA. The narration is pacy and the author keeps us interested throughout the book. The way Lady Sita character has been etched is what stands out for me. The bond between the brothers is depicted in a very convincing way.
I went for 4 st
Bhanuj
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
You can also read the review here Argumentative Watermelon

Ramayan was written over a period of more than 1200 years, it went through so many changes and interpolations that what came out (its many versions included) was a masterpiece.

Sadly the same can’t be said about the Scion of Ikshvaku. It is a retelling of the great epic with its own moderation and revisions. The core of the story is the same, Amish chiseled the outer surface to remodel it his own way, but fails miserably.

The story reads li
Arunita
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Regretting those hours of my life that will never come back.One of the worst books I have read in a while.Ramayana is already viewed as less interesting than the Mahabharat(Edit: Since someone has taken this as me thinking 'epic' Ramayan 'less interesting,please note I have implied no such thing.A lot of people around me while reading mythology based FICTION prefer Mahabharat to Ramayan b'coz Mahabharat has many 'not sonoble and ideal' characters who are much more relatable.Hence the comment.I h ...more
Anmol Rawat
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Scion of Ikshvaku Detailed Book Review

All hail Amish! This is such a beautiful book that I was disappointed it ended so soon. Excellent narration, excellent character development and excellent emotions. Scion of Ikshvaku is one of the best books I have read this year and I highly recommend it to all my friends. Eagerly waiting for the next installment now.
Arvind
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
2015 -"At a Literature Festival in Mumbai, a reader asked me why we use the word `Lord’ for Ram. And she went on to say some very rude things about Lord Ram. That upset me enough to write an article explaining why I respect Lord Ram, while readily accepting that what he did with Sita Ma was unfair. And I also decided that day that I will write my next book series on Lord Ram."
And thank you Amish for that.
2018 - yesterday I was telling my wife, how "Rama" was my most loved and respected figure f
Gayatri, eine Leseratte
Something is missing in this book. I loved Amish's previous work and was super excited to read this one but this book disappointed me. In this book, Lord Ram doesn't leave a solid impression on the reader and maybe that's why its not as great as The Shiva Trilogy.
Manpreet Kaur
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book.
it has heavy doses of philosophy and political discussions mixed with the normal plot about Ram's life.
You get to know and admire the main characters and you find your spiritual self happy about what you read.
by the end of the book, your 'crazy for an interesting and exciting tale' self dances with joy and makes you look forward to book 2 of the Ram Chandra series.
Vikalp Trivedi
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first book in the Ramchandra Series 'Scion Of Ikshvaku' is set in the same arc in which the Shiva trilogy was set . The book is a fast paced book , the characters are bit changed than their conventional forms and are well built . It is true that the series is Amish's version of Ramayana . The only character which I felt remained underused was of Raavan . In many of the episodes Amish has used resemblenses with the contemporary incidences , especially in the Roshni episode and in the backdrop ...more
Mondit
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The moment I opened the book, following words stared at me.

Parents are like a bow, and children like arrows. The more the bow bends and stretches, further the arrow flies. I fly, not because I am special but because they stretched for me

The words, which are so apt for a book about an Archer, who is the apostle of a culture where Parents are worshipped above gods, where a prince renounces throne and embrace the life of wild people for his father.

Amish’s Ramayana is the Ramayana where Sita is stro
Girish
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars more like. To be honest, the book started as a 'getitoutofthesystem' read for me. In parts, you could taste the essence of what the author was capable of, that made his earlier books a bestseller, before he became a 'literary popstar' who had to sell brand "Amish'

Amish Tripathi is the Rohit sharma of books - Talented but frustratingly distracted. This book had definite strong points like the masculine and feminine societies, the smritis, the trade economy etc which made the reader thin
Priya
Dec 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF in July, skimmed the rest yesterday to find out that oh-my-god-no, (view spoiler) oh-my-god-NO (view spoiler)!!
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Scion of Ikshvaku is a semi-modern retelling of one of India's epic pieces of literature, Ramayana; a fact to which I am neutral. I do not think that Mr. Amish has done anything morally or politically wrong in retelling a story which in my opinion belongs to all of us. He has also not done anything astounding or praise-worthy. In other words, I simply do not care for this fact.

Having said that, what I do care about is the awkward and broken style of writing. I honestly have no idea in what langu
Raksha Bhat
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Firstly I must admit that I have not read the previous books of this author, I know this sounds a bit on the up and up. Well, the urge to read this one was purely due to the number of status updates of people in my friend list saying Reading ‘Scion of Ikshvaku’ on various social networking platforms. Curiosity may have killed the cat but it never kills a reader in my opinion. Reading new versions of an epic like Ramayana just adds to our experience and knowledge of how different people understan ...more
Nivedita (thebooklovingnerd)
First of all, I am going to take a moment to shamelessly praise Amish for his immense amount of imagination and the way he brings his imagination to perfection. When I read the Shiva trilogy, I was stumped by the way Lord Shiva was portrayed and I couldn't stop myself from reading them.
This book is based on Lord Ram of Ayodhya, who believes in a perfect idealistic society where people follow all the rules and keeps crime and corruption out of it.
But Ram cannot achieve a perfect society due to
Fuad Al Fidah
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
So far, very interesting. Although the author may have over simplified a few things, his way of looking at theology is somewhat interesting. Eagerly waiting for the next books.
Nithya Subramaniam
I have always like Mythology, especially Indian mythology and I was really looking forward to this book.

I wanted to meet Ram the man who created the perfect city Meluha. However, Imagine your disappointment when none of this was his idea but Sita's. The characters fell flat especially Ram and Raavan. Here's what I expected some grey shades of Ram and some redeeming qualities in Raavan. We all know that Ram was all good and Raavan was evil, but I expected something more. This why Immortals of Me
Piyush
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amazing Read!!

Things I liked:
- Great character building.
- Deep undercurrent philosophy.
- Though set in ancient times, yet very much contemporary, especially parts with Asuras and Roshni's episode.
- The way Amish leveraged the concepts, laid in Shiva Trilogy, in this series as well, like Nagas, Vayuputras etc.
- Like first two parts of Shiva Trilogy, story is surrounded with secrets and open questions.

Things could have avoided/added:
- Over description of places and architectures.
- Few incidents co
  • Inspired Talks
  • Rise of Kali: Duryodhana's Mahabharata (Epic of the Kaurava Clan #2)
  • The Science of Religion
  • Kaurava (The Aryavarta Chronicles, #2)
  • The Sialkot Saga
  • Sri Madvirat Pothuluri Veerabrahmendra Swamy vari Sampoorna Jeevitha Charitra
  • Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana
  • డబ్బు టుది పవరాఫ్ డబ్బు  [Dabbu to the Power of Dabbu]
  • The Bestseller She Wrote
  • Talapatra Nidhi
  • The Mahabharata Quest: The Alexander Secret
  • Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild
Amish is an IIM (Kolkata)educated, boring banker turned happy author. The success of his debut book, The Immortals of Meluha (Book 1 of the Shiva Trilogy), encouraged him to give up a fourteen-year-old career in financial services to focus on writing. He is passionate about history, mythology and philosophy, finding beauty and meaning in all world religions.

Amish has most recently written the Shi

Ram Chandra (3 books)
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
  • Raavan (A Preview): Orphan of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
“Khalil Gibran said that parents are like a bow, And children like arrows. The more the bow bends and stretches, the farther the arrow flies. I fly, not because I am special, but because they stretched for me.” 41 likes
“I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want a woman who is better than I am; a woman who will compel me to bow my head in admiration.” 27 likes