Start by marking “Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)” as Want to Read:
Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)

Scion of Ikshvaku

(Ram Chandra #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  38,145 ratings  ·  2,443 reviews
Ram Rajya. The Perfect Land. But perfection has a price. He paid that price.

3400 BCE. INDIA
Ayodhya is weakened by divisions. A terrible war has taken its toll. The damage runs deep. The demon King of Lanka, Raavan, does not impose his rule on the defeated. He, instead, imposes his trade. Money is sucked out of the empire. The Sapt Sindhu people descend into poverty, despon
Paperback, First Edition, 354 pages
Published June 22nd 2015 by Westland Publication (first published May 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Scion of Ikshvaku, please sign up.
Mansi To start it off, the mythological stories of the hindu lords have a wide gamut of experience to be offered! It doesn't start and end at the point wher…moreTo start it off, the mythological stories of the hindu lords have a wide gamut of experience to be offered! It doesn't start and end at the point where in our childhood we were told stories about them, it goes far beyond it!
History is one thing that never ceases to amaze me, despite the fact that I too as an "indian child" have been raised with the knowledge and stories of our glorious past.
What the author is trying to achieve is not to tell the same old stories again and again, but, on the other hand he is trying to take inspiration from the characteristics, the philosophy and the religious practices of our great ancestors and create a new story describing the great past to the wide audience.
If you have read "The Shiva Trilogy", you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.(less)
Anirudh Vyas page 6, line 19, The cover potrays Ram shooting an arrow(in vain) at the pushpak viman when Raavan kidnapped sita.

·  38,145 ratings  ·  2,443 reviews

Start your review of Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
Swapnil Tembe
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read Scion of Ikshvaku. Like me, i am sure many who loved the Shiva Trilogy would be disappointed to some extent. Here are some goods and bads.

Goods
1) The ocean of imagination knows no bounds when it comes to Amish. One of the reasons why we fell in love with the first trilogy. It continues to some extent.
2) Connecting these to the Vayuputras and Nagas discussed in this previous books.
3) Character building.
4) A great Cover design (Not sure if it qualifies here!)

Bads
1) This first book is plain si
Nandakishore Mridula
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-ever
I have not read this book, and do not plan to. This is a troll review, posted to express my resentment at an idiot murdering Indian mythology to line his pockets. So sue me!

-----------------------------------

I am going to resign my engineering job and write a novel on Lord Krishna. In my novel, he will be gay - to hide which fact, he marries multiple women. Also, Kamsa will be a benevolent lower-caste ruler, who is treacherously killed by Krishna at the behest of his upper-caste cronies.

I think
Avanthika
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bending and re-telling the actual story with whooping level of imagination is Amish’s usual way of entertaining and he strikes again, “The Scion Of Ikshvaku” is for the people who do not whole-heartedly believe in the Raamayan.

Ram. The prince of Sapt Sindhu. Son of Chakravartin Samrat Dasarat. Yet he is considered inauspicious and his birth year is marked as tainted 7032 for the defeat Dasarat faced. While Sapt Sindu is facing bankruptcy, Raavan’s Lanka is blooming with golden streets. Ram know
Charn Singh
Jun 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: misc
Is there any particular reason for rewriting an epic that’s more than perfect in its own originality? Answer is yes- to prove the lack of inspiration. Or perhaps just to show-case inexcusable mind-numbing dilution to which such an epitome can be reduced to.

Unfortunately, this blockbuster "Scion of Ikshvaku" is a clichéd, redundant, naïve, and pretentious presentation, where writing has relatively little character or style. It is thus clearly evident from first few pages, that Amish is failure at
Saloni
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Should be retitled "How To Give Mythology A Screw Over". ...more
Prabhjot Kaur
I had high expectations before reading this book which was the wrong thing to do. I just could not get into this book. I tried harder and harder to really like this but only some of the things stood out. It was pretty much like the actual Ramayan but badly written (if I may say so). Normally, I complain when authors don't write enough about world building but in this book, it was over done.

I mostly liked The Shiva Trilogy by Amish but this was just not for me. Having said that, I will still read
Vishnu Chevli
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Before I begin let me clear this was not a review copy. I actually bought it within the first month of release and I have received author signed steel bookmark with the book as well.

Now coming to the author, Amish Tripathi, I had three spans in last 15 years in which I was drawn towards reading. The first one was due to the Harry Potter series and that span continued for 2-3 months. Next two spans started with Amish Tripathi's Shiva Trilogy. And It is till date in my favorite top five book serie
Shravanthi
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok

Hmmm....Yeah, so I read this 'Ramayana remake'. Didn't like it. Well okay....maybe I liked only tiny portions. Kinda-sorta okayish book I'd say.

Ram is born on the day of Dhasharath's first defeat against Raavan!(preposterous, and ridiculously twisted) This victimizes Ram in Dhasharath's eye. The King blames his first defeat on the new born. How is a baby responsible for a king's blunders in war? I don't know. But it says a lot about how much we suck. As a community that buys into such idiotic be
Rahul Khatri
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zip-Zap-Zoom Read ........ !

After re-introducing Lord Shiva in Shiva Triology , Amish Tripathi has pen down the Scion Of Ikshvaku , Ist of instalment in Ram Chandra Series .As the book was exclusively available on Amazon , I Recieved my Pre-ordered Copy Yesterday and once I start reading , it kept me hooked till the very end . Truly Spell Bounding Ist Instalment as The Immortal of Meluha was from Shiva Trilogy was .

FRONT COVER ~
Front Cover which is beautifully designed . Front Cover secures the
Ankit Saxena
Unexpected, Unwanted & Disappointing...

I never thought that someone could make such level of deviation to the Epic Literature, which is known for its remarkable Ethics. Quite, or can say, to very much level, it’s disappointing to me.
Story started so well and made its grip over my book-addicted head. I dose I need of the words to read, seemed to started working on my mind. The explanation given on the profile of the ‘Manthara’ and her virtuous daughter ‘Roshini’ was acceptable to its reasonable a
Shwetha Anand
Jun 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Less said the better. Forget acceptable standards of literature, is it too much to ask for a decent read that doesn't involve inane statements like" Shukracharya was from Egypt"?? Well apparently it is.. ...more
Sookie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, i-lit
The book is set in same universe as that of the Meluha trilogy. And like Meluha trilogy, this novel has to be read without constant comparison to Ramayana as we have come to know. Treat this story how you treat any other characters that are loosely based on popular mythology. If done well, this can be an interesting trilogy, even better than Meluha perhaps.

Amish delivers his own (not entirely original) brand of philosophy as he explains Gods and their roles in the world. It would have given the
Ashish Iyer
Amish's Shiva Trilogy - The Immortals of Meluha, The Secret of the Nagas and The Oath of the Vayuputras has attracted a wide and devoted audience since its publication.

Scion of Ikshvaku is Amish's version of the Ramayan. It's Amish fictional and interpretation of the tale of Lord Ram and Lady Sita. Book is fast-paced adventure based on several versions of the Ramayan, melded with historical theories and imagination. The story tracks the journey of Ram, the son of Dashrath and the founder of wha
Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amish Tripathi, the master story teller, does it again!
Scion of Ikshvaku is a retelling of Ramayana. This is Amish's version of the Epic. The story starts with the birth of Lord Ram, hardships he faces and how he tries to establish the perfect society, the RAM RAJYA. The narration is pacy and the author keeps us interested throughout the book. The way Lady Sita character has been etched is what stands out for me. The bond between the brothers is depicted in a very convincing way.
I went for 4 st
Arunita
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Regretting those hours of my life that will never come back.One of the worst books I have read in a while.Ramayana is already viewed as less interesting than the Mahabharat(Edit: Since someone has taken this as me thinking 'epic' Ramayan 'less interesting,please note I have implied no such thing.A lot of people around me while reading mythology based FICTION prefer Mahabharat to Ramayan b'coz Mahabharat has many 'not sonoble and ideal' characters who are much more relatable.Hence the comment.I h ...more
Bhanuj
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
You can also read the review here Argumentative Watermelon

Ramayan was written over a period of more than 1200 years, it went through so many changes and interpolations that what came out (its many versions included) was a masterpiece.

Sadly the same can’t be said about the Scion of Ikshvaku. It is a retelling of the great epic with its own moderation and revisions. The core of the story is the same, Amish chiseled the outer surface to remodel it his own way, but fails miserably.

The story reads li
Anmol Rawat
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Scion of Ikshvaku Detailed Book Review

All hail Amish! This is such a beautiful book that I was disappointed it ended so soon. Excellent narration, excellent character development and excellent emotions. Scion of Ikshvaku is one of the best books I have read this year and I highly recommend it to all my friends. Eagerly waiting for the next installment now.
Manpreet Kaur
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book.
it has heavy doses of philosophy and political discussions mixed with the normal plot about Ram's life.
You get to know and admire the main characters and you find your spiritual self happy about what you read.
by the end of the book, your 'crazy for an interesting and exciting tale' self dances with joy and makes you look forward to book 2 of the Ram Chandra series.
A Man Called Ove
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
2015 -"At a Literature Festival in Mumbai, a reader asked me why we use the word `Lord’ for Ram. And she went on to say some very rude things about Lord Ram. That upset me enough to write an article explaining why I respect Lord Ram, while readily accepting that what he did with Sita Ma was unfair. And I also decided that day that I will write my next book series on Lord Ram."
And thank you Amish for that.
2018 - yesterday I was telling my wife, how "Rama" was my most loved and respected figure f
Anshu Sharma
While I am all for retelling of ancient stories, I too believe there are some structures that should not be messed with which includes tweaking the Ram/Sita swayamvar to resemble that of Arjun/Draupadi. Each had their meaning and the change nullifies that. Also, I found the invocation of the Nirbhaya case pretty heinous to be honest. Playing with sentimentalism, eh?

Other that these two, this book is a pretty lackluster retelling of the original Ramayan. It id bland and the characters seem like
Gayatri
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Something is missing in this book. I loved Amish's previous work and was super excited to read this one but this book disappointed me. In this book, Lord Ram doesn't leave a solid impression on the reader and maybe that's why its not as great as The Shiva Trilogy. ...more
Mondit
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The moment I opened the book, following words stared at me.

Parents are like a bow, and children like arrows. The more the bow bends and stretches, further the arrow flies. I fly, not because I am special but because they stretched for me

The words, which are so apt for a book about an Archer, who is the apostle of a culture where Parents are worshipped above gods, where a prince renounces throne and embrace the life of wild people for his father.

Amish’s Ramayana is the Ramayana where Sita is stro
Vikalp Trivedi
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first book in the Ramchandra Series 'Scion Of Ikshvaku' is set in the same arc in which the Shiva trilogy was set . The book is a fast paced book , the characters are bit changed than their conventional forms and are well built . It is true that the series is Amish's version of Ramayana . The only character which I felt remained underused was of Raavan . In many of the episodes Amish has used resemblenses with the contemporary incidences , especially in the Roshni episode and in the backdrop ...more
Pratip Vijayakumar
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is Set in the backdrop of Ayodhya and the Tale is portrayed as it happened before Lord Shiva's appearance.
Amish has paid more attention not to seem like his previous series (Shiva Trilogy) but he fails because he portrayed Ram as a confused person or he was left confused by the happenings.
Though the book was Racy and very descriptive. I could indulge myself into the book but at times I couldn't avoid the feeling of the Shiva Trilogy because Nagas and Somras are all over again.
A good r
Asha Seth
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: indian-lit, 2017
Let’s write a book. Choose an epic mythological tale; one that every Indian knows by the tip of his tongue. Prise out the main figures, perhaps, ones religiously worshipped. Stick to the original settings, how else will readers relate? Throw in some 21st century slangs and expletives. Add few not-so necessary war scenes. And of course, Google the synonyms for every damn word. Why? Well, because you know why. And lastly, let’s have some sorry-ass frivolously stupid damp-humoured dialogues. Voila! ...more
Girish
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars more like. To be honest, the book started as a 'getitoutofthesystem' read for me. In parts, you could taste the essence of what the author was capable of, that made his earlier books a bestseller, before he became a 'literary popstar' who had to sell brand "Amish'

Amish Tripathi is the Rohit sharma of books - Talented but frustratingly distracted. This book had definite strong points like the masculine and feminine societies, the smritis, the trade economy etc which made the reader thin
Akash (Turtle)
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Raghukul Reet Sada Chali Aayi Pran Jaye Par Vachan Na Jaye

A fresh and different perspective towards Ramayan and Lord Ram. Amish does it brilliantly without tarnishing the actual feel of Ramayan. Instead makes it more relatable to this generation!!

It's a must-read for mythology lovers.

Jai Shree Ram.
Priya
Dec 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF in July, skimmed the rest yesterday to find out that oh-my-god-no, (view spoiler) oh-my-god-NO (view spoiler)!! ...more
Subham
May 17, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a retelling of Ramayana from the Authors perspective and he tells the story of Ram and his upbringing and how he suffered disdained from Ayodhya people due to some events at his birth, his growing in gurukul with his brothers under Guru Vashisth and then the swayamvar and him marrying sita and their exile leading upto her abduction while we have mythology, political conspiracy and there is one heartfelt scene of Roshni, Ram's sister and what happened to her testing his character of law v ...more
Do you think that Amish did justice to the great epic?? Why / Why not?? 7 76 Nov 05, 2019 03:27AM
Review of Scion of Ikshavku 7 75 Sep 03, 2015 09:21PM
Is Ram's extreme anger for Raavan justified? 2 48 Jun 26, 2015 10:56AM
Indian Readers: Contest & Giveaways to Celebrate BookSwap's Launch 2 13 Jun 20, 2015 12:41PM

• The Krishna Key
  • The Palace of Illusions
  • Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
  • The Mahabharata Quest: The Alexander Secret
  • One Night at the Call Center
  • Dharmayoddha Kalki: Avatar Of Vishnu (Kalki #1)
  • Satyayoddha Kalki: Eye of Brahma (Kalki #2)
  • Asura: Tale Of The Vanquished
  • Keepers of the Kalachakra
  • The Rozabal Line
  • Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata
See top shelves…
Amish is an IIM (Kolkata) educated, banker turned award-winning author. The success of his debut book, The Immortals of Meluha (Book 1 of the Shiva Trilogy), encouraged him to give up a fourteen-year-old career in financial services to focus on writing. He is passionate about history, mythology and philosophy, finding beauty and meaning in all world religions.

His 7 books have sold over 5 million

Ram Chandra (3 books)
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)