Start by marking “Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)” as Want to Read:
Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)

Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister #3)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  8,002 Ratings  ·  350 Reviews
Stunning Caledonia MacNeely fights an unfamiliar shiver when she is offered in marriage to the infamous ′Lord Sin′. Though Callie fears this mysterious knight - less for the dark whispers that damn him than for the burning desire he invokes - she is under order of the English King. And with the fate of her troubled clan hanging in the balance, she has little recourse.
Mass Market Paperback, First, 372 pages
Published 2003 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Born in Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born in Sin

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
REREAD: AHHHHHHHHHHHH This book is the BEES KNEES! me reading this book--> One of my most favorite books, and the heroine is like everything a herione should be. RIDE OR DIE oh yeah!!!!!

Born in Sin: 5 star read with complex characters and fulfilling progression of plot towards a above satisfactory HEA

Again, I have chosen to read a book that has been thoroughly reviewed multiple times. It seems I'm perpetually behind the great romance reads curve , however, it does afford me to ability to sim
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Medieval/Highlander Romance

Oh, how I loved, loved this book! I’m a sucker for emotional romances with tortured heroes, and Born in Sin is a touching read featuring one of the most abused and anguished romantic heroes of any that I’ve read. Sin’s unbearably tragic past and continual suffering and mistreatment from others have made him justifiably brooding, jaded, distrustful, reclusive, and full of self-loathing, yet he treats the heroine with gentleness and reverence.

He’
Erika
3.75 stars.

Overall, I really liked this book. The main issues I had were kind of small, but yet irritating enough to keep me from rating it higher. The issues:

-- the hero's personality and history is a little inconsistent. We are told many many times he has never known love, has always been sad and brooding etc. BUT, then we have scenes with his brothers where he is joking around with them and they all obviously love each other

-- the easy forgiveness of the (view spoiler)
Rashika (is tired)
I AM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
NEVER AGAIN.

Holy shit this was bad.

You have insta love.
Men who apparently have tough armors but are weak as fuck IMO.

Women who can apparently see through all of that shit to the sad sad man who lies inside when no one else could.
So many tropes. It was depressing.

The only good thing about this book was that the dude was a virgin. It amused me.

I must stop reading books none of my friends have rated.

Quinn
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Born in Sin is the third book in Kinley MacGregor's Brotherbood/MacAllister series, and I would have to say it is my favourite one so far. It was also the reason I started this series, as I had heard many good things about the book, particularly its tortured hero, Sin.

If I’d read this one as a standalone, I think I might have been disappointed. Not because I would have missed any crucial background (even though Sin and his brothers first appeared in Claiming the Highlander), but because the writ
Kübra Yağmur
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Az önce @İlkim’den öğrendim, serinin beşinci kitabı geliyormuş.
Tabii gelir canım, neden olmasın, sonuçta ülkenin sayı siteminde 1, 2 sonra hooop 5 geliyor. Yani gidip beşinci kitabı basmalarından daha doğal ne olabilir ki sonuçta?

Uzun zamandır okuduğum ennnn güzel historical ennn güzel highlander romanı oldu bence!
Kinley/Sherrilyn gene yapmış yapacağını.

Yine bir Epsilon engeline takılan seriyle karşı karşıyayız dostlar. Hâlâ anlamakta zorlanıyorum, böyle seriler nasıl yarım bırakılıyor diye ama
Sha Mslvoe
Another great story from Kinley MacGregor!! I wish I read it last year when I saw this book. I ignored it coz I thought she won't beat my favourite Highland authors. My judgement was wrong, Born in Sin was the BEST book I've ever read. Better than Master of Desire.

I love how Callie try to win Sin's heart. Sin is a tortured hero. His parents throw him and never admit that Sin is their son. I know some parents are CRUEL but I really hate them in this story. His mother deserved a slap!

Although he d
Jenny
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sin is a very tortured hero who endured so much cruelty and pain. He is a powerful fearless knight but his heart is pure gold. Callie is taken hostage by the King and as a way of ensuring peace between the English and the Scots he forces a marriage between Sin and Callie. Sin is a very damaged man who wants to avoid love at all costs but Callie is a strong and patient heroine. Her love saves him and heals him. If you love a swoon-worthy hero who treats the heroine like a queen then you must read ...more
Eastofoz
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: highlander
This book was very predictable and boring. There is endless repetition that acts like filler just to get over 300 pages (how many times does the reader have to read how emotionally damaged Sin is and how beautiful and wonderful Callie is???), nothing really happens after you've hit the half way mark, it's touted as being witty/funny but there is very, very little humour and what is there is ho-hum, the love story is gag worthy--all your stereotypical bad romance story inanities, the language doe ...more
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Katy
I adored this book.

I have a feeling this is one of those love it or hate it kind of books. In many ways, it's pretty much just a paint by numbers HR. We have the hero who doesn't believe he can love or deserves love and a heroine who is determined to love and win the love of the hero. You know how it goes.

Fortunately for me, it didn't matter to me how many times this has been done before, it's one of my favorite tropes.

Sin was sold when he was a child and all of his emotions were tortured and b
Jess the Romanceaholic
Another typical "Kenyon" tortured hero. As one of her earlier works, I definitely recognized later characters in Sin -- my boyfriend (Acheron), as well as pretty much every hero from the "Born In" series under the Kenyon name, and so forth.

Did that stop me from enjoying it? Of course not lol I'm a Kenyon/Macgregor/etc. fangirl, so of course I eat that crap up with a spoon ;) It can get overwhelming if you've decided to glom her writing though, so I find they're better read with a few other books
Dawn
Oh How my heart was breaking for Sin throughout this entire book. I really liked the h as well. I do suspect however judging by the reviews that the version of this book I read was revised heavily. It appears that a lot of the torture descriptions were removed, most likely for the better. I gave 4 stars only for some small reasons:

I felt King Henry would not have been so accomodating to the way he was being spoken to most times.

I didn't buy the the fact that Sin forgave his stepmother so easily
Zoe
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read from my youth.

This book was the only book from Kinley MacGergor that I read and liked back when I was a teenager. When I started reading in this genre again, I read other books in the series and couldn't really say that I liked any of them. But I postponed re-reading Born in Sin because I did not want to destroy a favorable impression of a book I liked.

Now I have finally reread this book and I am glad to say that I still like it today, and like it much better than any other books I hav
Pang
โอ ย ย ย อานจบตังนานแตไมไดรีวิว เขียนอังกฤษไมออก แปะไทยไวกอนแลวกัน

ชอบๆๆๆ กำลังอยากอานนางเอก proactive พอดีแลวพอมาเจอเรืองนีกเลยถูกใจมากกกกก พระเอกกรันทดไดอีก ชีวิตนาสงสารมากๆ แตพระเอกกนารักมากเหมือนกัน <3
PepperP0t
Anna D.
I’m going through Sin withdrawal! The end of a book I love is always bittersweet for me…I was sad to see it end.

Sometimes I have a really hard time separating my love for a character from my love for a book/story. This is one of those times because as much as my head is telling me that the story was just good (a 3-4 stars, and not a 5) I have to give this book 5 stars (more if I could) because I LOVE Sin MacAllister’s character and I felt a 5-star worth of enjoyment from this book. I laughed o
Elena
Read for the URR New Year 2018 Reading Challenge: Virgin Hero Romance.
Daneesha
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlanders
I met the hero in a previous book, Claiming the Highlander. He was intriguing then and this is his story. It's so sad. He claims neither England nor Scotland for his heritage and he was not wanted by his father, his mother, or his stepmother. He was basically sold to some mercenaries and tortured. He had to kill people to stay alive until he met King Henry II. So, he has this reputation of a fearsome devil and fierce warrior on the battlefield. The female in this book was so great. She helped hi ...more
TJ
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0

It's not perfect but within the realms of light, easy historical romance, it is close. The portrayal of a tortured, abused and unloved hero has seldom been written better. Sin, the bastard son of an unloving father and hateful mother had such a horrendous childhood that no one even considered the possibility of redemption. Callie does not know this, however, and having never heard of the infamous Sin, chooses to look past his reputation to find the man underneath. This story is both heart
Eli Easton
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable 4 star read for me. The 'extremely damaged man finds love' scenario was enjoyable as well as the historical aspect with the Scot's and King Henry. The romance was pretty steamy. The sub plot with the raider was well done. Points off for excessive length, repetitive internal dialogue ('no, I can't possibly trust that she loves me' for 400 pages) and a tendency towards purple prose. It's clear this book was written some time ago. Still, obviously a romance classic and worth a read.
Lady Raven RAVE!
http://www.romancenoveljunkies.com for readers

THIS book was so... good Sin is like the man you just wanna get to know if he really exist There is a part in the book that was SHOCKING, breath taking and just so so times infinity sweet that you rarely will find in Historical romance novels..this book will not disappoint, get the series start with the MASTER OF DESIRE the first book and the BROTHER HOOD OF THE SWORD series you will know the characters more.
Brenda (b)
Sin is an anguished soul in desperate need of salvation and love is the only thing that will accomplish that. But he's so conditioned to love avoiding him that he doesn't want to take the chance of yet another disappointment in his life.

A wonderful story for an amazing man. I love it!
Elaine
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kinley-macgregor
It was hard to put this book down. After reading several just ok books, I have just had a run of seriously good books! I will be reading the rest of this series! <3
Preacox
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Highlanders and tortured heroes
Sin McAllister is the epitome of a tortured hero. I've never encountered another hero that had so much shit happen to him. I mean the poor man doesn't even have a proper given name, for God's sake! He's been called "lad" for most of his god-awful childhood, until the moment when he wanted to know what his name is. That is when his stepmother called him "Sin" because, as a bastard, he was conceived in sin, born in sin and would live in sin for the rest of his unworthy life. ZOMG!

This guy was an
Mishma
For more review visit Chasing Faerytales

Sin is a wounded, damaged man who's never had a good childhood because of his mixed heritage and unloving parents. He is brought up with hatred and then was sold to savages finally being saved by the king of England. This makes him a tough,savage assassin of the king and feared by everyone, until the king makes him marry a woman whose kind and gentle heart shatters the ice around his own.

The book is so beautiful. The horrors of Sin's life is unbearable and
Britta
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kim
Another fantastic addition the Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor's MacAllister series.

Saved from the harsh life of slavery and killing he was sold into, Sin is the trusted advisor and sometimes friend of King Henry of England. Allowing no man nor family to claim him, Sin deals with his demons (and being called a demon as well as the devil himself and a baby eater) on a daily basis.

Much to his chagrin, Henry orders Sin to marry a woman who is the oldest daughter of the former (now dead) Laird o
Nazneen
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-romance
This was a beautiful book..I must tell that this hero SIN would be one of the most tortured heroes..Gosh!! It was heart wrenching to hear his story..How everybody was cruel to an innocent boy..How could his bloody parents blame him for his birth when it was their mistake to have an illegitimate relation..I loved how Callie tries hard for him, how she never gives up on him, how she is determined to make her place in his heart & to show him that he is loved..I can really describe my opinion on ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
While I didn't despise this book as much as I've despised some of MacGregor's other books, it still just didn't do it for me. There's a pervading shrewishness and stupidity to MacGregor's heroines that I just can't abide, and her heroes are always reluctant to the point of absurdity. It's normal for people to be insecure, particularly when they've gone through everything Sin did, but for shit's sake, he hated everyone and everything, and himself even more. It got to be tiring, the melodrama drai ...more
Elaine
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one. I liked both hero and the heroine very much. It's definitely one of those books you can read again and again. I'll definitely re-read it in the future. The book is well written and it has everything you'd want in a good book: romance, suspense, sad and funny moments and even some parts that were real tear jerkers. I loved the writing, I loved the characters and I loved the story. Highly recommended.
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • Untouched
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • Where's My Hero? (The Gamblers of Craven's #2.5; Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5; Splendid, #3.5)
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)
  • My Forever Love
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)

Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister (7 books)
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood of the Sword #2/MacAllister, #1)
  • Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood of the Sword #4/MacAllister, #3)
  • A Dark Champion (Brotherhood of the Sword #5)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
  • The Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #7/MacAllister Series, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Cyn? Short for Cynric? (Callie)
Nay. S-I-N. As in conceived, born in, and am currently living happily in. (Sin)”
46 likes
“I want your heart, Sin. (Callie)
It’s battered and useless, but what remains of it is all yours, milady. (Sin)”
46 likes