Start by marking “Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)” as Want to Read:
Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)

Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  6,533 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
A Dream of Desire Awakened...

Beautiful Lady Emily dreams of the rapture of love and the joys of marriage. The youngest daughter of an English lord at war, she is shaken by the arrival of a mysterious stranger to her father's castle. Could this breathtaking man be Emily's yearned-for lover? Indeed, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, has come for Emily...but romance has
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Avon (first published February 1st 2001)

Alp
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
At first, I thought this book’s blurb didn’t sound like my kind of thing. To tell the truth, if I had never known that Kinley MacGregor is the pen name of Sherrilyn Kenyon, I would probably have never contemplated reading this book. As I always say, historical romance isn't one of my top genres, but Master Of Desire took me by surprise! I felt truly lucky that I chose to pick up this book. The story was very well-written and descriptive. As soon as I started reading it, I was pulled into the sto ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I've read a TON of Sherrilyn Kenyon books (Hello! The Dark Hunter series ate up about a year of my life!), so I figured it was time to try her other series under her historical romance pen name. While this was a fun, sexy read, it also touched upon a few of my big pet peeves.

To start, this was really insta-lovey. GAH! Insta-love is the worst, am I right? I didn't get why Draven and Emily were so enamored with one another after just a short period of time. Please, more relationship buildup next
Shawna
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of tortured heroes & plucky heroines
Shelves: auth-sherrilynkenyonkinleymacgregor, favorites, i-read-own-faves-keepers, historical-romance, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, favorite-romance-series, hero-i-wanna-marry, friends-to-lovers, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, sizable-packages-size-matters, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, historical-romance-medieval-misc, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-warrior, star-crossed-lovers, i-read-kindle, kindle, 5-stars, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, hero-brooding, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, best-endings-epilogues, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, heroine-desperately-seeking-husband, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-black-sheep, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, heartwarming, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, 2012-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2012, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, series-brotherhood-macallisters, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque
5 stars – Historical/Medieval Romance

Oh how I enjoyed this one! Yes, it’s got the tried and true romance cliché of a brooding, tortured hero who doesn’t believe himself worthy of happiness or love fighting his intense lust for the spirited maiden who’s determined to convince him otherwise. But Master of Desire manages to standout splendidly with its endearing, unforgettable characters, witty dialogue, and the perfect mix of angst, humor, sweetness, and heat.

Draven is such a sigh-worthy hero.
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is going straight to my keepers shelf! :)

I loved everything about it: Draven (a tortured hero I just wanted to hold and never let go), Emily (a spunky heroine determined to win the heros heart), Simon (the most adorable second character Ive met) and, last but not least, the story (it made me laugh and it made me cry, what more could I ask for?)
Alba M.
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó. Yo, que no soportaba las historias de épocas ni nada por el estilo y ahora estoy enganchada.
Amo las historias en las que los personajes masculinos son rudos y maleducados y sobre todo se niegan a amar. Me encanta el hecho de tener que ayudarles a aprender lo que es el amor. Y Emily y Draven son un gran ejemplo. No tengo quejas de ninguno de los dos. Han sido un par de personajes increíblemente perfectos, he disfrutado de todos... aunque, soy la única que tiene desconfianza de Simon?
LibraryLass
Great book! 4.5 stars for this one. Had a bit of everything I like, esp. humour. I loved Emily, the heroine, she knew what she wanted and went after him without being shrewish or manipulative. Her character remained consistent all through the story. This is not always the case. Authors change their characters to suit their purpose in their stories. But both Emily and Draven remained true.

I loved Draven! I thought he was an honourable hero who could park his shoes under my bed any time! His tortu
Hayal Perest
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Babanız sizden yeryüzündeki en narin kız olarak bahsetti."
"Babam genellikle hassasiyetimi abartır, lordum."
"Ama güzelliğinizi abartmamış." (Syf:60)

____________________

Çok güzel bir kitaptı.. ♥

Emily'nin Draven'a olan aşkına, bağlılığına, onu ikna etme çabalarına, cesaretine ve sevecenliğine hayran kaldım. Draven, geçmişte yaşadığı problemler yüzünden kendini sadece savaşmaya programlanmış bir şövalye olarak görüyor. Onun dışında her şeyi boş ve anlamsız görüyor. Mal varlığı yerinde olsa da hiç b
TJ
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
A fun escape, although I am getting terribly tired of the horrendously overused plot device of "he swore never to let a woman close to his heart again".
Katy
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Edited to add* - Read for URR Halloween challenge- Romance involving murder

I really enjoyed this. It was filled to the brim with cliches but they were done well enough that it didn't really bother me. In fact, I loved it. A lot.

Lady Emily's father is in a feud with Draven, the Earl of Ravenswood and the king is sick of it. In an attempt to bring a little peace between the two of them, the king orders Lady Emily to live with Draven for a year. Draven has been warned that if he touches one hair
Sha Mslvoe
This is the first book by Kinley MacGregor I have ever read! I fall in love with the story, I loved Draven and Emily. I love the way the story flow that keeps me hooked. I loved the epilogue, it's make me sad to see this story end. I just want more and more.

It's a must read to those who loved Highlander and medieval story.

** SK, I love you but I love you more as Kinley MacGregor **
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
If you wish to be indulged by a fluffy mushy romance masquerading as a medieval romance, this would be a book to go to. And let me admit it, I enjoyed it!
The H was all one would wish a H to be - tortured but tempting to anything remotely female!
The h was after my own heart - she decides she wants him for a husband and goes all out for it - plotting, planning and seducing.
Rest of the story is just convenient plot dressing.
Büşra
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Draven ne nazlandın be :D
Kübra Yağmur
Sherrilyn Kenyon tatlım, PNR romanların kadar historicallarına da aşık olursam vay benim halime!

Medieval döneminde geçmesi nedeniyle ortada alışık olduğumuz klanlar yok, ayrıca alenen bölge ismi de geçmediği için Draven’ı İskoç ilan edemiyorum. Ama adamın da kitabın da içinde, bir İskoç romanından istediğim her şey var.
Seriye devam etmek için bu güzel ilk kitabı zevkle, tekrar okudum.

Draven’imiz zalim bir babanın ve atalarının öfke lanetini taşıdığına inandığı için birine zarar verme korkusundan
Best_beloved
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
First let me admit a bias: I don’t like Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter series. I’ve tried it, don’t like it. So, when I realized that Kinley Macgregor was Sherrilyn Kenyon, well, I was peeved. Now, with that in mind, I have to say I liked the book. It was good.

The basic set up is that Emily, the female protagonist, is forced to live with Draven (Yes, I know, the names scream 1990’s, but go with it) to stop the fighting between their two families. It’s a cliché, but Kinley Macgregor aka Sherrily
Iliada
There's no getting around it - simply put, I did not like this book.

It's all about the characters for me when it comes to books. It used to be about the story but after reading for years any romance book I could get my hands on like there's no tomorrow I can honestly say I've seen it all in this genre. Maybe this is an overstatement, but it's definitely hard for a book to suprise me - and that's okay. Like I said it's all about the characters now.

I'm sorry to say that there was no interesting tr
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister series by Kinley MacGregor (aka Sherrilyn Kenyon). Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, is given Lady Emily, his adversary's daughter, as his ward for one year by the king. No harm or shame is to touch the lady while in his care. But Lady Emily wants a husband and decides that Draven would do just fine. While Draven strives to avoid and ignore her, Lady Emily is doing her best to make sure Draven doesn't.

It was a good read but I want
Chloe Friend
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adored! However, I felt the ending was slightly rushed! Over all, a really good read!
Nurhayat Turna
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kinley MacGregor tarihi aşk romanları için yazarın kullandığı bir mahlas. Onu daha çok Sherrilyn Kenyon adıyla biliyoruzdur. Arzunun Kitabını okuduktan sonra (ilk seferinde) yazarın kim olduğunu merak etmemle öğrenmiş olduğum bir detaydı bu. Ve sizler de bilmiyorsanız, şu an öğrenmiş oldunuz.

Arzunun Efendisi’ni defalarca kez okumama rağmen hala ilk okuduğumdaki zevki, o tadı alabiliyor ve kalbimi deli gibi çarptırabiliyorsa, demektir ki bu kitap esaslı bir kitaptır. Akıcı, soluksuz okutan bir a
Zoe
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about this book. It was really boring. Draven, the dark warrior, and Emily, the fair maiden, they were not supposed to love each other but they did, yada yada yada. What can I say? I have read many books with similar plots. Honestly there is litte new under the sun. I don't mind some cliche. But this was not a successful use of cliches.

Maybe it is me being in a rather unromantic phase right now. I can't seem to feel the chemistry in any romances I have read recently. Dr
Katie Michaels
Draven of Ravenswood is a man hardened into a warrior by a cruel father. His name is whispered; his reputation, that of a relentless demon on the battlefield. He trusts no one, except for his brother Simon and cherishes nothing except his honor.

Someone has been pillaging his lands and he suspects his neighbor, Hugh. The same thing is happening to Hugh and he suspects Draven. So they take their grievances to the king. His majesty decides to send Hugh’s daughter to live with Draven for a year. Th
Tuba Özkat
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çooook güzel bir kitaptı :) Son sahnede gözüm ne kadar korkmuş olsa da hikayenin akışı çooook güzeldi :) Özellikle Draven'in kızın kendisini sevdiğine bir türlü ikna olamaması, anlam verememesi burkan cinstendi. Babası ölmese ben öldürecek hale geldim. Seviliir, okunurr, yenirrr... D:

Bence ben kitabı bitirir bitirmez bu yorum kısmına girmemeliyim :)

I'm out.
Carmen
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entre 3,5 y 4 estrellas para esta novela llena de los clichés esperados dentro de este género, poca trama pero muy bien llevada y una pareja que consigue que nuestras ganas de que estén juntos vayan en aumento. Creo que somos un poco como Raven, y sus ganas contenidas, aunque, la verdad, ha sido algo duro ver como su excitación física era continua y nunca conseguía aliviarse.

Me ha gustado muchísimo más de lo que buscaba porque al final ha conseguido que nos acerquemos a la parte atormentada de é
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Цялото ревю - click, click

Следпрочитно:
Едно нещо признах на Кениън/МакГрегър още при първата ни среща - умее да заплита страхотни завръзки. Тази книга не е изключение - като майсторка сватовница авторката събира двамата си герои и оттук нататък започва да плете тяхната история.
Не съм чела много любовни романи от този исторически период, и това допълнително провокира интереса ми. (Особено след като изградих в ума си преграда, която да спира в съзнанието ми въпросите относно хигиената
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Vicky BF Gr
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Otra lectura 100% #Marirreperas
Porque si, porque nos encantan este tipo de historias donde se mezclan la pasión, los caballeros andantes, las damas aguerridas y los malos entendidos.
Este ha sido un libro muy interesante, pese a los años que ya tiene la historia y a lo mucho que hemos leído de este género, a todas nos ha gustado. Un hombre duro, cuyo honor está por encima de todo, y que se ve obligado a hacerse cargo de una joven dama por mandato de su rey, estaba claro que el pobrecito iba a pa
Anna D.
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT! I love the world Kinley MacGregor created here and I’m giddy with excitement for this series!!! Thank you Kinley MacGregor/Sherrilyn Kenyon! MacGregor writes heroes and heroines I adore. She also writes with the style of humor, banter, emotions, and sensuality that I favor. I haven’t been this excited for a series since I discovered Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton siblings –wait, not true..i also loved the Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway tribe - and now I have a band of brothers that are once again ...more
Laura V.
Muy Bella y Bestia.. Solo que la Bella se ganó a la Bestia por cansancio. Mal jugado, chiquita.

Mi gran problema con este libro tiene nombre y es EMILY. No lo dice de manera explícita, pero sentí que como personaje no aportaba nada en ningún lado. Una completa inútil que no hace nada de nada, salvo acosar a diestra y siniestra a Draven. No es señora de la casa, no es señora de sus habitaciones, no ha levantando un dedo en todo el libro y difícilmente hace algo. Cose, pero nunca se dice qué exact
Quinn
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval-romance
Lady Emily despairs of ever having the opportunity to find a husband and have the family she dreams of. She has been kept a virtual prisoner in her home due to a well-meaning but overprotective father.

Draven, Earl of Ravenswood has had an extraordinarily difficult childhood and carries the emotional and physical scars. He believes himself cursed and, with the exception of his brother Simon, does not allow anyone to get close to him.

When the King orders Draven to take in Emily, the daughter of hi
Netanella
This was a fun, light-hearted romp that wasn't exactly historically accurate in the way the characters were portrayed or behaved, but the smart dialogue and engaging characters kept me interested and entertained.

All Emily wants to do is find love and start a family, but overprotective Daddy won't let her out of the castle, or allow any suitable suitors inside, since his wife and two daughters died years ago while in the family way. Instead, Daddy has started a feud with his neighbor, the noble
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, historical, series
...and Emily wants Draven de Montague, the Earl of Ravenswood.

Draven and Emily's father are enemies, and by decree from the king, Emily is to live under Draven's roof for in one year in order to stop the fighting between the two lords. Draven is not to touch her (in violence or lust). It is Draven's belief that he will have no problem keeping his hands to himself until he meets Emily!

Emily wants Draven, (in the biblical sense), from the first moment they meet. I love this twist because so ofte
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • The Guardian (The Return of the Highlanders, #1)

Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister (7 books)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood of the Sword #2/MacAllister, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood of the Sword #4/MacAllister, #3)
  • A Dark Champion (Brotherhood of the Sword #5)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
  • The Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #7/MacAllister Series, #4)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Do you know what a friend is, milord? (Emily)
An enemy in disguise. (Draven)”
12 likes
“(Emily frowned, then turned about in her saddle to scan the inner bailey.)
Milady? What do you seek? (Simon)
A marker announcing this as the gate to Hades. (Emily)”
11 likes