Start by marking “Brothers-in-Arms” as Want to Read:
Brothers-in-Arms

Brothers-in-Arms

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Franz Kappel and Japhet Buchanan never expected their friendship to be tested by the Th ird Reich. Friends from early childhood, the boys form an inseparable, brotherly bond. Growing up in a little German village, they escape most of the struggles of war until the day Japhet is banished from school for being a Jew, and later has a rib broken when other village boys beat hi ...more

To ask other readers questions about Brothers-in-Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers-in-Arms

Amanda Beguerie
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*****
Reaction Pre-Review:

I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob.

I officially have a book hangover.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to review this book yet, seeing as this version isn't released. But oh. This book deserves ten stars.

It made me cry twice, laugh multiple times, and I didn't want it to end (although I wanted a happy ending). It didn't look good for the first 95% of the story.

So this isn't a review, but rather a reflection with a review to come. It's a painful and beautiful story, and I w
Allison Tebo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-fic
3.5 stars.

Warning: This review contains spoilers.

Personal Pet Peeves: (I don't normally include these! 'hides' but two things really made me stumble a little in the reading of Brothers In Arms)

"Japhet’s last name".

I could be wrong, but I didn’t think this last name is Jewish—it certainly doesn’t SOUND Jewish, right off the bat, and yet several times people upon hearing his name immediately say: “Oh, a Jewish name.” Even if it is Jewish, Buchanan is still a Scottish name—but Japhet is German!

"Th
Jack Baillot
Jan 26, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, which means I had to edit it, which means I've read it to the point there are days I don't want to see it again.
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for violence and thematic elements
Best for Ages: 15 and up

When Baillot asked if I would be an advanced reader for her book, I said yes, because I like most Christian historical fiction. I was not prepared to be totally blown away by the story. It is by far the best book I have read that captures the emotions within Germany during World War II.

Right away, this book sets itself apart from most because both of the main characters are boys (one Jew, one non-Jew), and t
Jesseca Wheaton
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
Can I give this ten stars? Please? Ahh, I don't even know how to move on with normal life now. This story just ... took a part of you with it.
Full review to come, when I can think clearly. And after I sleep. ;)
JonathanT
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: his-fic
“I had it wrong.” Japhet whispered, surprised his voice still worked. “Franz isn’t the Tin Man. He’s the Scarecrow; confused and unsure of himself because you filled his head with lies. You’re the Tin Man, Stein. You’re the man with no heart.”

Brothers-in-Arms has a lot to bring to the historical fiction table. WW2 novels are increasing in popularity, and one that chronicles the friendship between a Nazi and a Jew is bound to get high ratings.

And I’m not necessarily saying this doesn’t deserve t
Christine Smith
Ooooh, this book! Will I ever recover from it? Probably not.

Some books you read, enjoy, and then move on from. But then there are those books that stick with you. That invade your thoughts, your heart, and refuse to leave. That have events and characters so real you refuse to believe they’re anything but real, and they become imprinted in your heart forever.

Brothers-in-Arms was one of those books.

I’ve been following Jack’s blog for many years now and watching her progress of this book. She said
Claire Banschbach
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the type of book where you get like 3 pages in and already want to hug everyone. But really, I enjoyed this book a lot in a weird "this is depressing and will anyone survive?" type of way.

I haven't read a whole lot of WWII fiction and am not very acquainted with the period in general, so this was an interesting book to read just from the historical perspective. It's also set in Germany which gives another unique aspect. It centers around two young boys, one a German, the other a German-
Mikayla
Wow. I really did not expect to love the book this much. The character building in this book was incredible. Every character that came into the book, I felt like I would be able to recognize them if I passed them on the street.
There was positively nothing predictable, or cliche in this book. I thought I knew was going to happen several times, and it always turned out so much different then I imagined. But it was all perfect. It felt like it really could have happened. And wherever the character
Alyssa
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii-must-reads
Amazing! I loved this book from beginning to end. WWII has always been one of my favorite topics in history and reading books set in that time is my kryptonite. This book had such an interesting story to tell during WWII and was different from what I had read in this genre before. I loved the friendship between the main characters in this book, and thought the world and character building were on point.

Overall, this book was amazing. I read a lot of WWII books and I would have to say this is on
Raechel
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
4.5 Stars

Where do I begin? This book was fantastic. Why was it fantastic? Because it was real, it was deep, it was heart-wrenching. In short, it was so good! When I received this book in the mail after winning it in Jack’s give-away, I was astounded at the sheer-length of it. It’s huge! But it needed every page, and none of it felt like it lasted too long. It was incredibly hard to put down, and I was thinking about when I wasn’t reading it.

The friendship between Franz and Japhet was nothing sho
Emily
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Keturah Lamb
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful story of friendship placed in a horrible era of human selfishness.

So loved how the author portrayed friendship between the two main characters. It was so out of place in this current day and age where people act as if all affections is taboo or something.

This story made me so happy on so many levels. WWII, unique plot twists (showed some interesting things with Nazism vs a Jewish resistance), and character depth and growth.

So much grief. So much horrid reality.

It makes me look at
Annie DeLallo
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about brotherhood and never ending friendship. Love it!
Mary
I absolutely love a good World War II novel, but the best ones are few and far between. Brothers-in-Arms is a masterpiece and the best of its genre I have read in years. I very much appreciated its quality and highly enjoyed it.

There were so many things I loved about this book, and it was wonderfully well-written. The highlights for me were the masterfully developed characters, the suspenseful and engaging plot, and the beautiful and profound themes. Franz and Japhet were such deep, well-develop
Danielle Urban
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brothers-In-Arms by Jack Lewis Baillot is a tale that takes readers immediately back into the dark and haunting time for Jews. Even their German friends were in danger. Imagine trying to help a Jewish member escape from the cruelty of the Hitler's Nazis...if caught one's death could be just as bad or much worse than what the Jews received. Sad and troubling times. A moment in history all will never forget. Jack Lewis Baillot has created a fictional world full of suspense, deadly consequences, an ...more
Danielle Urban
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Micki
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well researched and skillfully written, Brothers-In-Arms will more than deliver. Jack's fun and light-hearted beginning will draw you into the book, but don't be fooled! This WWII story of two best friends is a heartbreaking example of the way a nation is torn apart, one family, and one friendship at a time. But this is also a story of how loyalty, friendship, and conscience can overcome incredible obstacles…Unique in the way that it touches on so many different aspects of the war in different c ...more
Gail Fenochetti
Lily Emerson
Mar 09, 2016
Deborah
Mar 09, 2016
Jack is an Author who has disillusions of grandeur that she will someday write the perfect book.
She's not impossible, just a bit unlikely.
More about Jack Lewis Baillot
“Well, what's Cecilia say today?” he asked, not bothering to rise. “Can’t believe you two write each other every day. Doesn't it get boring? 'Dear Joseph, I went to town today and bought an egg. Then I boiled it and had breakfast.” 4 likes
“They tried to roast hazel nuts in the oven and prepare a Christmas meal out of canned ham, two potatoes, and some suspicious looking bread.” 3 likes