Start by marking “Living Clojure” as Want to Read:
Living Clojure

Living Clojure

If you’re an experienced programmer looking for a thorough but gentle introduction to Clojure, this is the perfect guide for you. Author Carin Meier not only provides a practical overview of this JVM language and its functional programming concepts, but also includes a complete hands-on training course to help you learn Clojure in a structured way.

The first half of the boo

ebook, Early Release, 300 pages
Published January 25th 2015 by O'Reilly

To ask other readers questions about Living Clojure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Clojure

Vít Kotačka
Enjoyable book for Clojure beginners

I met Carin (aka Gigasquid) on one of the (Middle) European Java conference and for me, she was the paramount of the gig. And because I'm returning to the Clojure after 5 years now, I grasped her book. It was a good choice.

In the beginning, Carin makes a good parallel - if you want to learn a new language, you should treat it like if you want to learn to run. It makes sense, you can't train for marathon in few weeks. Clojure is the same - you can learn the syn
Alex Ott
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: func-prog
Really 7/10. This book is short, practical introduction into Clojure for people who heard about it, and want to quickly start to use it. It covers very basics of syntax, collections, concurrent programming & webdev. But it lacks deepness (imho - that's why 7/10).

Good thing is the "training plan" at the end of the book...
Anil Thaplar
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
arathunku
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Things I liked:
- last 2-3 weeks of "training"
- good descriptions of features of Clojure
- structure of the book
- Wonderland

That's the first book of the author so I'm trying to look gently at it. There were a lot of things I didn't like although I'm total beginner in the Clojure world such as:

- lacks of tests for examples
- description of futures without *clear* and *real world* examples: agents, refs
- first few weeks of training were just copied from 4Clojure
- I think tests are very crucial part
Alexander Yakushev
This is not a very good book.

It is incredibly broad and shallow. The author touches topics that shouldn't even be in a beginner's book, like ClojureScript, and core.async, and Ring/Compojure; and at the same time the information is not deep, it's surficial at best.

Unclear is the target audience of the book. The author says that it's for beginners who know at least one other programming language, but the complexity and minutia change so much from page to page that I can't imagine a novice actuall
Mattias Lundell
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Great book for a beginner. Nothing bad with the transducer chapter but it felt a little bit misplaced.
Tony Poerio
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gentle and very effective introduction to Clojure. This is probably the book I'd recommend for someone just getting into Lisp for the first time. I've dabbled in Clojure off-and-on for awhile now, but it never really stuck.

The focus on projects and how to use Lein is also invaluable. Very few books go into detail on these facets of the language, but as a day-to-day programmer, these mechanics are possibly even more important than the language semantics.

Carin's focus in this book is really on t
Helio Costa
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great way to get in touch with Clojure. Very small chapters with straight forward examples to get using with the Clojure anatomy. I’ve read from cover to cover in a few days without try anything but the examples in REPL. I’m feeling comfortable to get a in-depth Clojure’s book with this knowledge. I don’t recommend though, to anyone who may have some understanding of Clojure.
Heather
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worked through the first part (not the 8 week plan part) and that took about 8-10 hours (did it 2 hours at a time over a week), so if you want to do the whole book, plan that.

The weekly/daily practice part at the end: still working through it when I have time.
Tom
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, lucid intro to the syntax and the semantics of the language. I learned Java for the first time somewhat thoroughly using Kathy Sierra's book in 2005. This is clear like that -- only Clojure is about 1-2 orders of magnitude more powerful.
Daw-Ran Liou
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is very practical guide for people coming to Clojure as their second language, just like me.
Philip Hollenback
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was trying to do a self-study with this, but got too busy. Hope to get back to it some day. Very well written.
Eddy Chou
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
อานงาย สำหรับคนทีมีพืนการเขียนโปรแกรมในภาษาอืนๆ ...more
Jacob Tjornholm
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
For beginners, I think this book is very good. I really like the level of detail in most chapters, and I especially enjoyed the variance in pace: Most chapters go methodically over a certain topic, but there is also a chapter that combines everything to create a web app with a lot of moving parts in a single chapter.

I liked most of the training plan a lot. Really good idea to just start with 4clojure exercises, because why not? They're very good and just the right level. The exercises created b
Hugo
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Excelent book! If have tried to learn Clojure and for some reason just can't wrap your head around it, this is the book that you are looking for.

There several things that I like, but the one that I like the most is the way the explain the examples: piece by piece and then all together (of course, clojure is concise enough that allows to do this, but still, no all the authors do it this way).

Also, the program at the end of the book, is great.

J. Pablo
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is quite unique about this book is the *training plan* it has at the end. I believe more emphasis should have been given to it and it should be at the beginning or spread throughout the book, so you start with the plan as you start the book.

From the two introductory books I read regarding Clojure, this one was the most accessible although like almost every other book out there, it assumes you are already a programmer.
Yamir Encarnacion
I liked that it was short. However, the book felt like it touched on the tip of the iceberg. I would have liked more in depth information on how to build a web app. After reading this book, I feel I have learned the fundamentals but will need to supplement the information I learned here in order to have a better grasp on Clojure.
Denis
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Одна из лучших книг, что я встречал по Clojure для начинающих.
Рассматривается только то, что нужно для того, чтобы начать и чтобы разобраться в этом языке. И при этом дается ровно то, что нужно для того, чтобы понять возможности Clojure.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession No: DL027475
Location: PTI IRC
Accession No: DL027476
Timoteo Ponce
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Good clojure book, but it still lacks something, I can't tell what
Gabriel