Start by marking “Ashes of Life” as Want to Read:

Published April 28th 2015 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ashes of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes of Life

Start your review of Ashes of Life
sue
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ashes of Life by Erica Lucke Dean
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a book that I am sure to recommend. If you are
anything like
me, and a sucker for a sad, intriguing, thought
provoking, and as near
to anyone's life as this can be, then this is the book for you.

Tragedy can strike anyone at any time at any age.

Alex has only been married to David for 3 months when he is killed in a
tragic accident, on top of this she is pregnant. Oh, and did I mention he already had
a teenage daughter?
Well yes, he
Debbie
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Married for just three months, Alex Barrett is stunned when her husband, David, dies in a tragic accident. And the absolute last thing the pregnant young widow wants is to take on responsibility for his teenage daughter, Maddie. Reeling from loss, Alex struggles to deal with her grief and her troubled stepdaughter, but one question haunts her: why was David with his ex-wife when he died?

Maddie is a troubled teen that just lost both of her parents and all she really wants to do is forget life for
megHan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm going to vent for a minute here so bear with me: I loved this book and absolutely hated this book all at the same time. The emotions that this story brought out of me were - wow. In fact, there were several times that I put my Kindle down and vowed not to pick it back up again. Now, I've only been through part of the situation - my father died when I was a freshman in high school, but my mother never remarried, or even dated, as far as my sister and I know - but the way that these two acted, ...more
Coco.V
Jul 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (7/29/2019)! ...more
Mary Anita Hicks
QGood theme, could have been told differently

It is probably the grandmother in me, but as I read, all I could think about, was, "is this really how the younger generation lives?" If so, I want to corral my grandchildren and immediately home school them. The reviews did not prepare me for the dialog or loose sexual encounters. If young folks really behave this way routinely, we need to work as a nation to change our society.
Carlissa
When I requested this audiobook from Audiobookblast, it was listed as "Literary Fiction" and the description sounded like something I would like (and I did like most of it), but there was just too much romance for my taste (I'm not a fan of romance novels).

The narrator, Laurel Schroeder, was excellent and this is what kept me going with this book.

I wish to thank the authors, the narrator, and Audiobookblast.com for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This book is amazing. I went into it thinking it was going to be really sad, but this turned out to be a beautiful romance. Yes, there were some sad and troubling parts, but the overall feel was hope and love. This caught me off guard, but was the best kind of surprise.

This was a powerful story about love, and the power of family, and really highlighted that family is something you work for and create. It’s not always easy, but it’s always worth the effort.

When I describe this as a romance, I
Courtney Vasiliev
I DNF'ed this book at about 56%
Not because the writing wasn't great because it really was. The author has a wonderful way with words.

With that being said, this book just wasn't for me. I didn't enjoy the main character, I disliked her so much I couldn't even tell you her name. BUT, I do know a lot of people who would enjoy this book. It was just one of those, it's not you, it's me situations.

Therefore, I am not rating the book at all, because I dont think its fair to rate a book that is good,
Susie Q
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ashes of Life is a book that I didn't want to stop listening to because I almost felt as if I were right there with Alex and Maddy. Erica Lucke Dean does a beautiful job of making the characters real and believable with honest emotions. This story is so true with things that are happening in our world today. The emotions that Laura M. Kolar put into the voices of these characters was real! She is an amazing narrator! I look forward to listening to more books that she narrates as well as more ...more
Lisa
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I guess I'm out of the norm in my lack of enthusiasm for this book. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

The basic premise is heart-breaking. Three months after she married the love of her life, Alex's husband and his ex-wife died in a tragic accident together. Not only is Alex pregnant, but she suddenly finds herself legally responsible for her deceased husband's teenage daughter, Maddie. Maddie hates Alex and makes Alex's life miserable, but it seems that there are no other options for her care,
Pat Oatman
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And time moves on.

A wonderful story of pain, hurt, revenge and love and forgiveness. I would have given the review five stars but for the language. An expletive here and there is one thing, but a constant birage of off color language adds nothing to the story. I would have recommended this for young adults, but not with the language.

This was a wonderful story of pain, sadness, revenge, healing, forgiveness and love. I would have given the story five stars but for the language. The constant
T.J. Fox
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I just was not a fan of this. Neither of the two main characters were likable. No matter their situation, they were both pretty self absorbed, bratty and unwilling to look outside of their own bubble of existence. I really wasn't a fan of the romantic relationships on either of their parts either. Way too much yo-yo action going on. To the point that if these characters existed in real life, they should probably be seeking help for mental disorders.

The writing itself wasn't bad, but I won't
Richard Palmer
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragic but beautiful future

very realistic
Tragic and beautiful
Good moral lessons except sex outside of marriage. I wish the author would have been brave enough to make the DR someone who followed God . Then I wouldn't have had to keep it from my daughter. Great story, I would love to have let my teen read it. But I can t because I can't let her think it's ok to be ok ok ing outside of God's will on purpose. If he had just said, you deserved for me to wait until marriage- but this is where we are
Sharon Mitchell
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I started this book, I didn't like either of the main characters. So, why would I keep reading? Normally, when I find the characters annoying, I'd quit reading. But there was something about the author's writing that kept me there. The writing is wonderful! She portrays two young people who are hurting so much that they can't look past their own grief.Erica Lucke Dean is able to spin a tale so well and these two broken young women end up becoming a family. It takes a skillful writer to make ...more
Diane Baxter
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this read, especially the authentic imperfections of each character. The story evolved in a credible and engaging way, carrying me along all the way. My only reservations lie in a level of predictability that is perhaps just part of the genre. I wanted a surprise or two; some revelations that made me unsure of where the story would go. But there were a lot of twists and turns that kept the story a lot of fun.
Debra
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashes of Life

What happens when your husband and his ex wife die together? Not only that but for are guardian of their daughter? Your life is no longer the dream that you were expecting. This story of lies betrayal and forgiveness. Two hurting souls having to readjust to the new reality. And the new men in their lives.
Louise Child
Aug 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh.

Dreadful ,cliche ridden "Stepmom" story .Both the step mom and daughter constantly misunderstand each other and their boyfriends .Both need rescuing ,constantly ,and are supposed to be "strong women!" Of course , the good looking , strong men do rescue them and they all loved happily ever after .
Donna Engler
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book

I loved all the characters and the story line. Good plot and well thought out. Great narrative and well written. Every person in the story was likable except for one. Guess you’ll have to read it to find out who that is. The way it all came together was perfect.
Charisse Williams
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Often what we think we know turns out to be something totally different. Some people master jumping to conclusions and allow their imaginations to get the best of them. Follow one woman’s journey through her grief. Watch it turn into something extraordinary.
Edward Martin
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashes of Life

I enjoyed this novel immensely due to its emotional and interesting narrative. Through the eyes of the step mother Ashley and grieving teenage daughter Madey we can visualise their views, frustrations, needs and insecurities. Finally it gives us that love triumph.
Vivian Prado
The book was well written and I mostly enjoyed the story. However, I found it hard to believe that Alex would jump into a relationship so quickly after her husband's death. Especially since she considered him the love of her life and was only married for 3 months.
CLAIR Withers
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashes of Life

Throughly enjoyed reading this story. Learning how Alex & Maddie got on with life after a tragedy. Definitely recommend this story.
Really feel it could be continued.
Thanks
Rhonda Parsons
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashes of Life

I rated this a five because it kept my attention and I felt so many emotions. I loved the fleshing g out of the characters. What a terrible start and a fitting end. I wish all situations like this ended as well.
Andree Radzik
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Enjoyed reading it!

It was good and kept me engaged throughout! I would highly recommend this book. In fact, would love a series to find out what happens in the lives of all characters.
Beth Klein
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book and liked the characters . If I wonder what’s going on when I’m not reading ( think about the book) that’s a good sign . I found myself wanting more in the end -
All the issues seemed to suddenly resolve too quickly
Gail  Ramsden
Typical romance novel. It was a good change from the mysteries I usually read.
Jill Patricia Sim
What a beautiful emotional story from start to finish, well worth five star read
maris corush
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale of love, loss, and understanding.

Friendship, love and family combine after a tragic accident leave a teenager an orphan and a young pregnant woman a widow.
Janice Hurst
Really good story.

Although I have been in a raging situation like this, I can believe the thoughts and dialogue were exactly like this.great easy read.
Wilma
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick read as I was tired of murder, death, blood and all that stuff.

A woman whose husband has just died inherits her husband's 16 year-old daughter to raise.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Appearances
  • The Secrets Mothers Keep
  • Unexpected (Bittersweet Book 2)
  • The Book Club
  • Promise Cove (Pelican Pointe, #1)
  • The Apple of My Eye
  • Please Forgive Me
  • The Letter (Comfort Crossing #3)
  • Sisters (Sun Valley #1)
  • The Color of Joy (The Color of Heaven Series #8)
  • The Color of a Memory (The Color of Heaven, #5)
  • Women Within
  • Beloved Mother
  • Christmas at the Lakeside Resort (Lakeside Resort #1)
  • The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Songbird Season (Melinda Foster, #5)
  • All the Little Things
After walking away from her career as a business banker to pursue writing full-time, Erica moved from the hustle and bustle of the big city to a small tourist town in the North Georgia Mountains where she lives in a 90-year-old haunted farmhouse with her workaholic husband, her 180lb lap dog, and at least one ghost.

When she’s not busy writing or tending to her collection of crazy chickens,