Start by marking “Flowers of Grace” as Want to Read:
Flowers of Grace

Read Book

Flowers of Grace

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Set in an upscale St. Louis boutique amid a fragile economic climate when retail customers are trading brick and mortar stores for online shopping, Flowers of Grace is a story of love and loss, friendship and forgiveness.

Still mourning a broken engagement, Grace inherits a hibiscus with a legacy she fears she will kill. Doubt in her capacity to nurture anything prompts her
Published February 20th 2015 by Little Forest Big Spring Press

To ask other readers questions about Flowers of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowers of Grace

Courtney
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written story about learning to let go when we don't want to but need to, while at the same time finding the strength to hold on to the things that matter. I loved how Teresa tied everything together in such an understated but satisfying way. Her voice is so gentle yet powerful when needed to be. I loved the main character, Grace. There were times I was frustrated at her feelings and decisions, yet that was what made her human and more relatable.

I loved the theme of friend
Camille
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about the miracle of blooming. I’ve seen this book through its many stages and every time I read it Grace’s journey inspires me. I believe almost any woman will find something inspiring in this beautiful story about nurturing, friendship and spirituality. The imagery of nurturing a plant weaves through Grace’s story as she struggles to be a friend, a leader, and much more. We see both Grace and the plant she inherits wither and bloom at various phases. Grace’s blooming isn’t exac ...more
Rozane

It’s touching. It's clever. It’s uplifting and exciting!

Flowers of Grace is a delightful novel written by a woman, for women. To me this book is a tribute to love and friendship. It celebrates our many differences of personality, age, background and challenges in life. This novel, truly brings to light how women need women, how we are uniquely invested in overcoming problems, how we grow stronger as an individual when we embrace our differences by communicating, sharing a simple laughter, or ext
Shauna
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Life is full of lessons. When I read this story -- it spoke to me of an older version of "coming-of-age', as the main character is in her early 30's. Part of growing older, discovering who we are, what our purpose is -- is a path each of us has to take. Women are key in creating connecting links between the important events in our lives. They help us bridge gaps in those places where we have to step onto another level. This is a beautiful story celebrating different kinds of female connections, ...more
T.K.
Though I first read this book six months ago, the characters have stayed with me. I miss them, and wonder about them the way I might real people. I really liked how well the book portrayed the humility that is required to turn the other cheek, how often women mistreat each other, and the sense of purpose that comes from service.
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story of finding oneself by figuring out how to have meaningful friendships. The story and characters were very well thought out and relatable. The characters have stayed with me, even after I finished the book!
Katie W
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm still thinking about the effects this story had on me. Grace is trying to get over a broken engagement and pours everything she has into managing a clothing store. When an employee leaves and gives her a hibiscus plant, Grace just knows she'll kill it, but that plant helps everyone in the store. They all take turns caring for it and nurturing it. Grace takes Trenna, a young woman, under her wing and they become very close. There are joyous moments and moments of grief and through it all, the ...more
Emmy
Grace is looking for a fresh start and new a beginning, as the manger of an upscale clothing boutique she has to learn how to balance her desire for friendship while being in charge. As one of Grace's favorite employees moves away, she realizes that this employee actually taught her many things. She leaves behind a flower for Grace to care for. This flower, it's care, and growth becomes symbolic and pivotal throughout the story as Grace learns, grows and blossoms herself.

The story felt very real
Shauna
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE that this story was based on a true account!

I, too, work in retail and was so inspired when the book touched on "customers trading brick and mortar stores for online shopping."

As Lilly and Grace showed -- the one thing online shopping cannot give you is the personal service.

But oh how sensitive that personal service can be affected by that person's personal experiences they are now experiencing.

Grace has just endured a broken engagement and the loss of a close employee.

She is trying to ma
Maria Hoagland
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Flowers of Grace takes the reader through those first few young adult years when one is working at defining who they will become in their careers, in their friendships, even in their own personalities. As events unfold, Grace learns things about herself she hadn't realized before, and as those strengths and weaknesses are discovered, she discovers something even more important--that she can adjust and reassess her goals and friendships to make the most of the life she is given. I liked the growt ...more
Marcy
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Wonderful book! I love reading a book that just makes you feel good after you have read it. It's about friendship, loss, love, and forgiving others. You will feel by the end of the novel that you really get to know these characters on a personal level and can relate with them. Enjoyable read that I will recommend to all of my friends.
Becky Ward
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-reading
Loved it! It is just a nice read that leaves you feeling good when you put it down. The book had unexpected events that left me wanting to start another chapter and then another. I loved how the author embraced those unexpected events and used them to deepen her characters and the story. It is a story of hope, of friendship, of forgiveness, and of love.
Ophelia
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to have won a copy of this book. Having worked in a retail store for many years, I can relate to the dynamics between the women who worked there, the bonds that form between the individuals, and the friendships that change our lives. Thanks, Teresa, for sharing this wonderful story!
Rebecca
Shelves: lds-author
A heart-warming, emotional story about several women running a clothing store and the hibiscus they try to save. A great, clean read that will make you smile. I love that it's based on a true story, and I'm excited for the next one!
Annette
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'm very grateful I could read this book. More profound and introspective than I expected. It taught me.

Quotes:

""For many years I considered what she meant when she said, "You never say thank you for a plant." Now I know. She wasn't giving me a gift. She was giving me a stewardship, a responsibility to nurture this plant and make it flower.'" (p. 13)

"'I just trusted that they needed to make good decisions, giving them more and more responsibility as they did.'" (p. 20)

"'We all love according to
Lillie
I enjoyed the friendships among the women and Grace's challenges managing a retail store. I was actually surprised that the plant her employee gave her and that she kept in the store was a hibiscus. I spent sixteen years in the interior landscaping business and have never seen a hibiscus as an indoor plant. However, I did a little research and discovered it is possible to keep a hibiscus indoors with enough light.
Debby
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to absolutely love this story. I didn't like Grace in the beginning part of the story. She tried so hard to nurture relationships. I felt bad for her initially. I wanted her to connect deeply with someone, not superficially. She had losses in her life that prevented her from connecting, maybe. I like the complexity of her character and those around her. Not sure if I liked Trenna, Roberta, Max or even Faye. I wished she didn't see Max in a "flirty" way, when she met him. I know she brus ...more
Barb
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This story begins with a young professional woman mourning a broken engagement. She seems very disconnected from her coworkers and neighbors and seems to have no friends in whom she can confide. Family? Nonexistent, and we're not given much information about why that is.
I had a hard time connecting with the main character; one character who seems very significant in the beginning of the novel completely disappears. I thought the story was sweet but predictable and it almost felt like it could ha
Alison/Tony King
Muddled story lacking purpose

I wanted to like this story but all the time I was reading it I failed to see any depth in it. And when a "death" was almost skipped over I suddenly realized that what is lacking is real connections or real emotional feelings. I'm sure the author is a lovely person but this book just didn't do it for me. If I had a paper copy I wouldn't pass it on hence lower star rating.
Lisa
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book truly brings you into the lives of the characters, feeling what they feel. Flowers of Grace does this. The raw emotions of the main character trying to find connectedness and success in her life while overcoming loss tug at one's heart. Eloquently written with an overall theme of grace and hope.
Amy
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brought together many aspects of life and emotions that many of us experience. It brought a strong sense of hope.

I would recommend this book to anyone whom is trying to find purpose and meaning in the big things as well as the trivial circumstances in life.
Nicole
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book & it's message of caring.
Susan
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A really good read, bring tissues.
Alyson Iuchs
May 26, 2016
Joyce
rated it did not like it
Nov 11, 2016
Marie
Feb 19, 2015
Kathy
Jan 25, 2018
LDS Ladies Book Club: Feb. Goodreads Giveaway of clean women's fiction 4 24 Feb 08, 2015 06:24PM
  • North for Christmas
  • Discovering Peace
  • Full Court Devotion (Christmas in Snow Valley #3)
  • A Way Back To You
  • Christmas in Snow Valley  (Snow Valley Romance Anthologies, #1)
  • Pierced by Love
  • Softly Falling
  • Call to Arms: Nations Fall
  • Ella
  • Mile 21
  • The Accidental Marriage
  • How Much Do You Love Me?
  • Sense and Sensibility: A Latter-Day Tale
  • Willow Springs
  • Discovering You
  • A Nothing Named Silas
  • By the Stars
  • Old Maid of Honor
Teresa observes and tells insightful stories, both fiction and nonfiction, that characterize our emotional experience with life. Teresa grew up in the Midwest with an imagination and creativity straight from the stories she consumed in her childhood. She put away her Harriet the Spy persona to attend Brigham Young University, where she studied journalism and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in c ...more
More about Teresa Hirst