Start by marking “Unexpected Change” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Change

Unexpected Change

How do you let go of pain when you have experienced the worst?
Emelyn Pier thought the worst happened on that fateful day. Unable to stay where her memories haunt her, she moves in with her aunt in Carlsbad, California. Her only hope was to start over somewhere new where she can raise her son and get her college degree. What Emelyn didn’t expect was to meet the one person w
Published (first published February 9th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected Change

Ashley Jasper
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I am always excited to try out a new author and this was no exception. K.D. Sarks was recommended to me by more than one of my book loving friends so I gave it a whirl. This book was heavy on the heartache. I wasn't expecting to become so invested in the story but I was hooked from page one. It is told in a dual POV of the main characters. I liked being able to get inside both of their heads and hearts.

Unexpected Change follows the story of Emelyn, Em. She was an interesting character; equal pa
Mignon Mykel
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 / 5 stars
Received arc through Love Affair with Fiction in exchange for an honest review; original post with excerpt/playlist/etc can be found at:

The bones of this story -- the plot, the idea, those things -- were done well.

But for me personally, there were a few things that could have been better. While the ages of the characters called for a new adult/contemporary romance, a lot of the dialogue and thought processes were more along the lines of a midd
Alice Taylor
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author, K.D. Sparks, and from Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock. This story is about Alex and Emelyn. The book starts out with Emelyn getting ready to celebrate her 21st birthday. Her friend Lane wants to take her out for a night on the town but Emelyn is reluctant to go and leave her two year old son. But Emelyn’s aunt is ready and willing to babysit Corbin so that Emelyn can go out and have some fun for a change. While Emelyn is out she meets Alex and every ...more
Books Laid Bare
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Emelyn and Alex are about to take you on an emotional roller coaster, so be ready people!
Emelyn is beautiful but has suffered much in her twenty one years and is reluctant to let anyone in. Her bolshie exterior is her own way of protecting herself and her heart from ever having to go through the pain that she has experienced again and I have to say that I fully understood why she was the way she was.
But she hadn’t come up against anyone like Alex before and this handsome man, just oozed charism
Jennifer Wyk
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New author KD Sarks totally hit the ball out of the park with her debut novel, Unexpected Change. I absolutely love it when I get to experience a new author, and find that they have found something that is just meant for them. KD Sarks is one to watch, for sure. She created a story I felt invested in and found myself emotionally attached to the characters, both main and secondary.

Emelyn is a feisty, beautiful young woman. But Emelyn is broken hearted - but not for typical reasons a 21 year old
Sanne Heremans
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review - Sanne / Scandalous Book Blog***

Make sure you take your time for this one because it'll be a rough ride and a very heart wrenching story that'll you'll need every second for and it'll be best you are home.

The story about Emelyn and Alex was a hard story and was most certainly not light hearted, not meaning that it didn't had it's funny moments but above all it's a very emotional story.

The moment the event from the prologue occured in the actual b
Lane
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected Change gave me the FEELS!! All of them - laughter, sadness, anger, pain, frustration, anticipation, love, compassion.

Emelyn's character captures a true woman in her experiences. The loss, love, and unexpected changes she endures are handled in a realistic nature. MESSY because life isn't perfect and you don't always receive a fairytale.

Alex, well he's a man that knows what he wants but struggles to get it and keep it. He's persistent in a respectful yet domineering way with all intent
Riza
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Moving Stars

Wow! What a way to debut a novel! K.D.Sarks nailed it!
Emelyn has been through a lot in life and it hits so close to home—the pain is just too much that I am a bawling mess during those certain chapter from the book.
Alex, he's rich, hot and he fall in love with Emelyn hard. I admire his patience, his love for Emelyn and they are really meant for eavh other.
If there's one thing in life that is constant, I believe it is change. ALEX is "the unexpected change" in Emelyn's life and
Linda Cotter
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novel had me hooked from the word go.
KD Sarks in a new author to me, and from what I understand, this is her debut novel. Reading about a young mother finding her future, and her past, was wonderful. Seeing Emelyn's walls being built, and being discovered and pushed through by Alex was perfect. Watching her turmoil develope over the feelings she has and what she has to overcome through her personal trials was perfect. I cannot wait for more from KD, and hope for more from these characters a
Crystal
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hold on… This one will take you for a ride, through all of your emotions! With a plot that never ends and stellar character development I couldn't put the book down. K.D. Sarks really has a talent for drawing you in and leaving you yearning for more. Emelyn's story is anything but ordinary. The twists and the turns, the love and the heartache, keep you connected throughout the entire book. I cannot wait for Micah’s side of the story!
Michelle Rene
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Say hello to debut author K.D. Sarks! Unexpected Change is beautifully written novel, with characters that will draw you in.

Life hasn't been easy for Emelyn, but she has adjusted and is doing the best she can. Then one night she meets Alex Montgomery and it seems things are starting to look up, until she comes face to face with her past.

Unexpected Change is a definite must read, and I can't wait to read more from this author!
Parlethia Browning
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good Read!!!
I enjoyed this book and give it a solid 4.5 stars!! Alex is so swoon worthy and has the patience of a saint. Emelyn was not really my favorite heroine. Her indecisiveness annoyed me a lot. Here she had a hot, compassionate, loving guy who accepted her and her son. All she did was keep pushing him away. It got tiredsome. But all in all it was a great read I wasn't disappointed. I would definitely recommend it to others. Let's see if Micah (baby daddy) gets his own story!
Jennifer Sporer
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book!!!! I am in love with all the characters!! Great job!!
Teresa
4 stars. This was an emotional read of love loss and learning how to live with the past. For 21 year old Em life has certainly dealt her blows no-one should have to live with. A single mom she is providing for her son and being the best she can be while still trying to keep herself together emotionally. While out celebrating her 21st birthday she meets Alex and their growing relationship is sweet but shows how much Em needs to learn to live and emotionally accept her past. When she meets Alex's ...more
Danna Iuliana
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Misty Simmons
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! What an incredible first novel by this Author! Emelyn story will touch your heart and the love in this book will own you! I felt the characters story! Emelyn and Alex story was written very well and will show a reader(s) that love and determination is the key to your heart and relationship! I can not recommend this story enough! This is a Must Read and I expect to see this as an Amazons Best Seller! Congratulations to this Author on what I would call Grand Slam! 5 beautiful golden stars we ...more
Butterfly&AngelsBookObsession
**Michelle's Review**

benx
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
first time reading from this author I loved this book I read it one day I felt so sad for Emelyn glad she got her happily ever after now I cant wait to read about Micah and Melanie and I hope to hear more about the remaining characters !!
Lynda Newsome crouse
Amazing love story.

I love this story. It was sweet, funny, and sad all one. Very emotional and the characters make you want to read and hear both sides of the story. Hope everything there is more from these characters.
Tabitha Bangert
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I like this book. I think the story does happen more then people know. It is hard to be a single parent and try to find yourself in the mix. I like this couple, can't wait to read the next story.b
Stacy Jo
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written first book for KD Sarks. Have tissues ready as there is love, heartache, and lots of needed understanding...
Ariel
Emma
Apr 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Clarity
  • Acting Happy (A Happily Ever After Novel #2)
  • Undercover (Undercover #1)
  • Stepbrother Wolf (Stepmates #1)
  • Fear in Her Eyes (Fire & Vice #5)
  • Trusting Jack (MC Securities, #1)
  • Alpha Chef (J.T's Bar, #2)
  • Escaping the Blackness (Cooper Brothers #1)
  • Layers of Her
  • Killer Curves (Dangerous Curves #3)
  • The Perfect Sister (Sister, #7)
  • Cuffed
  • Falling for Rain
  • Recoil
  • The Date (Love in O'Leary #.5)
  • Broken
  • Beautiful Delusions (Pride and Honor #1)
  • Head Over Paws
Born and raised in the capitol of Nevada, K.D. Sarks lives with her husband, Ryan, who also happens to be her high school sweetheart. Together they have two amazing and rambunctious little ones keeping her on her toes throughout the day while she tries to write and corral them! Her guilty pleasure is watching trash reality TV and indulging in amazing reads while sipping hot tea!