Start by marking “Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine” as Want to Read:
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine

Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine

Ada Lovelace, the daughter of the famous romantic poet, Lord Byron, develops her creativity through science and math. When she meets Charles Babbage, the inventor of the first mechanical computer, Ada understands the machine better than anyone else and writes the world's first computer program in order to demonstrate its capabilities.
Published October 13th 2015 by Creston Books

Start your review of Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
Calista
This woman is the daughter of Lord Byron - the poet. Her mother left him when she was young. He was about words and his daughter was about math and science. She loved numbers. We get her history and her love of flying. She wrote the first computer program. It’s funny, my previous job at Math Reviews named a computer program Ada after her and I didn’t know that. Reading this, I’m like, oh, this is the story.

I probably never would have learned the story without these great intro books. Now I know
Cheryl
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just started, came on here to make sure we all note the clockwork bird on one of the earliest pages. Meanwhile, I'm also noting that there are several books about Lovelace already... this just happened to be on display at my library so I grabbed it.

Do note that it's not for tots. Your child is old enough if s/he can guess, roughly, what 'scandalous' means from the context of why Ada was not raised by her father.

Done. Rich enough that I learned a few things. I understand better now what exactly
Sharon Lawler
We've all heard of Lord Byron, English poet from the Romantic Age , but his mathematically gifted daughter has remained in obscurity. I first read about her in a recent adult book, The Innovators. In this book, through sumptuous illustrations and concise text, her life is brought to the forefront for the younger reader. During this period of time, it was not acceptable for a woman to be a mathematical genius, and her contributions were often attributed to others. Perfect for all children's colle ...more
Jesse
Must read everything illustrated by April Chu!
Edward Sullivan
A great story with lovely illustrations about a mathematical visionary.
Kirah Marshall
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. This is the story of Ada Byron Lovelace. Since she was a little girl, numbers were her best friend. She LOVED mathematics. Numbers were constantly swirling in her her. She dreamed of creating a flying machine. One day, she became very ill with the measles. It made her go blind and paralyzed her for many years, but during that time, her mother quizzed her with difficult math problems to keep her mind sharp. Ada thought it was okay that she was blind, because even if she was blind, 12x18 was st ...more
Tasha
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ada Lovelace was born the daughter of the famous poet, Lord Byron. But she was more like her mother and interested in numbers rather than words. As a young woman, Ada invented a flying machine that she did all of the mathematics for. She spent time experimenting with wind and sails to inform her calculations. Despite a health scare that left her blind and paralyzed for some time, Ada continued to learn math and love numbers. When she met Charles Babbage, the inventor of the first mechanical comp ...more
Martha
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-6-non-fiction
Ada Byron Lovelace was a child with brilliant parents, her mother Lady Byron an accomplished mathematician earned the title"The Princess of Parallelograms," her father Lord Byron the famous poet was so unfaithful, her mother left him when Ada was very young. As a young child Ada shared her mothers' passion for math and science, inventing a flying machine, calculating number sets to compute how the wings could fly. Aware of her daughter's outstanding talents and passion for discovery, her mother ...more
Linda
It’s an inspiring book for those interested in women’s restrictions in the past, the early beginnings of computing, and how people who work hard to solve problems when passionate about them. Ada Lovelace was a daughter of Lord Byron, but estranged from him early in life. Her mother loved mathematics, and supported Ada’s interest in pursuing learning math. Eventually, Ada was introduced to the well-known mathematician, Charles Babbage, becoming a life-long friend. His analytical machine was a won ...more
Maria Carmo
A wonderful story with beautiful illustrations! An interesting account of the life, challenges and mental victories of Ada Byron, Lord Byron's Daughter who really became Earth's first Programmer! An inspiring tale of faith in one's intelligence and perseverance against all odds.
It is almost painful how someone so incredibly intelligent and hard working could have dies at 36, leaving behind already a Family (three children) and all her Mathematical and computer work.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 20 April 20
Claudia
Another beauty for my NBCT lesson collection. Ada is a new fascination for me...as her father is an OLD fascination. She was just as much of a genius, an innovator, a poet, as he was...in her own field.

This book gives us much more detail about the math of the 'analytical machine' she helped create. Would love to have authors time travel and make Babbage come clean about her contributions to 'his' invention.

Ada was a frail child, a frail woman. She died young and could never fight for the credit
Tracy Clausen
Well-written picture book biography with lovely illustrations - it would make a fascinating read-aloud to a 3rd or 4th grade class. Does an excellent job highlighting women as inventors and pioneers in math and science. Challenges young people to consider and explore the inventions that helped create the computers and computer programs they use every day. Highly recommended.
Marcia
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the most beautiful picture books I've seen of late. I enjoy reading biographies and loved learning about Ada B. Lovelace. Her passion and talent for math was unique and impressive. The gorgeous illustrations and design of this book, along with its well-written fascinating story will make it a strong addition to any library collection.
Estelle
Written with children,especially girls, this is an inspiring book for all - no mathematical talent needed to appreciate. It's a beautifully illustrated (do take time to enjoy the images!) book about the life of Ada Lovelace, considered the first computer programmer and for whom the computer programming language Ada is named.
RachelAnne
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Gr. 2-4 This accessible, beautifully illustrated picture book biography fills a sizable gap in STEM collections. The mention of Ada's famous father will be meaningless to most young readers. The real appeal here is the way that Ada's curiosity and passion for mathematics carried her through severe illness and the limitations imposed on girls in the nineteenth century.
W.H. Beck
Another awesome "I-didn't-know-that" picture book biography. Ada Byron Lovelace was a math prodigy who wrote the first computer program (although she was so ahead of her time, she couldn't test it out).
Kerry Weinstein
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book about Ada Lovelace, who is known for writing the first algorithm used in the future to run computers, to show girls how fun math and science can be. Ada's adventures with creating inventions and figuring out equations are delightfully illustrated.
Jason
Her origins are a bit misleading here in that from the beginning, Ada was set upon a path of learning math and science precisely because her mother didn't want her to follow in her father's scandalous footsteps. She may have loved it, but she didn't choose it initially.
Kris Dersch
Great introduction to the life and work of Ada Lovelace. Will be of particular interest to science loving kiddos. The illustrations are vibrant and the back matter, which includes a list of her nicknames, is great.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An interesting figure, but the book is a bit overwrought. Not crazy about the illustration style.
Catherine Siemann
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable. i am not this book's target audience, but am looking at Ada as icon. And this book is utterly . . . adorable.
Beverly
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was not familiar with this female mathematician before I read this book. Amazing story.
Angela Scott
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We need more books like this one! Why is not common knowledge that the first computer program was invented by a girl! Beautiful illustrations and wonderful plot line. Everyone should read this book.
Alexis
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary: This is the story of the short, adventurous life of Ada Byron Lovelace, otherwise known as the Bride of Science. Most women during her lifetime were focused on getting married and bearing children. Ada, however, had a tremendous love for math and science. Since childhood, Ada was curious and full of mathmatecal ideas and scientific inventions. Although she suffered through many troubles, such as sickness and temporary impairments, she would continue to improve on her knowledge. With the ...more
Anna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awesome book! I learned a lot about Ada and her amazing mind and love for numbers. It was so cool to read how much she loved math and numbers (something I never really liked nor enjoyed doing nor did I understand it very well growing up). She really was amazing and so smart and good with numbers. It was amazing how well she understood things and how her brain worked. She was so young and yet understood more than people older than her with more experience.

Highly recommend this book.

The story is
M W
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love picture book biographies. They are such a great way to introduce younger children to history and provide a platform to introduce all kinds of discussions. I also get to learn new things at the same time. Our Bookmobile librarians have been mixing non-fiction picture book biographies with the fiction picture books, allowing us to discover ones that we would probably never otherwise see.

This story of a brilliant nineteenth-century female mathematician/early programmer brings up the dangers
Mitchell
I've read a number of different works of various sorts on Ada, Countess of Lovelace. This one is a pretty good children's picture book biography. But also seems to be a pretty good book on the subject. As always, it's a choice what the author chooses to focus on. This works focuses more on her childhood then others I remember. Other works indicate that she might not actually have even written the first program for Babbage's machine. But still she is part of the mythos around the origin of progra ...more
Mary Shafer
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would use this book as a read aloud for K-4th graders. Ada Byron Lovelace grew up fatherless, got measles when she was 12 and became blind and lame for 3 years. She loved math and always dreamed of making a flying machine. She works with Charles Babbage on his math machines. She dreams of all the changes that could happen because of the machines (computer) that she has worked on. The pictures are beautiful and add to the story line.
Child960801
This is a lovely book in all senses of the word. The pictures are beautiful and effective, the story is engaging, the subject is inspiring. Read this with your daughters.

This tells the story of Ada Lovelace from the time she was a young girl and then focusing on the work she did with mathematics. At the beginning we are told that her father was Lord Byron, but her parents separated when she was still a baby.
Katie
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Focuses solely on her mathematic achievements, which does her an injustice. It gave me the impression that she was a true bluestocking, married only to her studies. However not only did she did she write the 1st computer program, she did it whilst having 3 children, having cholera and then dying of cancer at just 36!

She was the 1st woman to do it ALL!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Bear Came Along
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • Otis and Will Discover the Deep: The Record-Setting Dive of the Bathysphere
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor
  • Before She Was Harriet
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Snowflake Bentley
Award-winning author Laurie Wallmark’s debut picture book, ADA BYRON LOVELACE AND THE THINKING MACHINE (Creston Books, 2015), received four starred trade reviews (Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and School Library Journal) and many national awards including Outstanding Science Trade Book and Cook Prize Honor Book. Her picture book biography, GRACE HOPPER: QUEEN OF COMPUTER CODE (Sterling Chil ...more

News & Interviews