Start by marking “Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine” as Want to Read:
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine

Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine

Ada Lovelace, the daughter of the famous romantic poet, Lord Byron, develops her creativity through science and math. When she meets Charles Babbage, the inventor of the first mechanical computer, Ada understands the machine better than anyone else and writes the world's first computer program in order to demonstrate its capabilities.
Published October 13th 2015 by Creston Books

Cheryl
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just started, came on here to make sure we all note the clockwork bird on one of the earliest pages. Meanwhile, I'm also noting that there are several books about Lovelace already... this just happened to be on display at my library so I grabbed it.

Do note that it's not for tots. Your child is old enough if s/he can guess, roughly, what 'scandalous' means from the context of why Ada was not raised by her father.

Done. Rich enough that I learned a few things. I understand better now what exactly
Sharon Lawler
We've all heard of Lord Byron, English poet from the Romantic Age , but his mathematically gifted daughter has remained in obscurity. I first read about her in a recent adult book, The Innovators. In this book, through sumptuous illustrations and concise text, her life is brought to the forefront for the younger reader. During this period of time, it was not acceptable for a woman to be a mathematical genius, and her contributions were often attributed to others. Perfect for all children's colle ...more
Edward Sullivan
A great story with lovely illustrations about a mathematical visionary.
Jesse
Must read everything illustrated by April Chu!
Kirah Marshall
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. This is the story of Ada Byron Lovelace. Since she was a little girl, numbers were her best friend. She LOVED mathematics. Numbers were constantly swirling in her her. She dreamed of creating a flying machine. One day, she became very ill with the measles. It made her go blind and paralyzed her for many years, but during that time, her mother quizzed her with difficult math problems to keep her mind sharp. Ada thought it was okay that she was blind, because even if she was blind, 12x18 was st ...more
Marcia
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the most beautiful picture books I've seen of late. I enjoy reading biographies and loved learning about Ada B. Lovelace. Her passion and talent for math was unique and impressive. The gorgeous illustrations and design of this book, along with its well-written fascinating story will make it a strong addition to any library collection.
Angela Scott
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We need more books like this one! Why is not common knowledge that the first computer program was invented by a girl! Beautiful illustrations and wonderful plot line. Everyone should read this book.
Maria Carmo
A wonderful story with beautiful illustrations! An interesting account of the life, challenges and mental victories of Ada Byron, Lord Byron's Daughter who really became Earth's first Programmer! An inspiring tale of faith in one's intelligence and perseverance against all odds.
It is almost painful how someone so incredibly intelligent and hard working could have dies at 36, leaving behind already a Family (three children) and all her Mathematical and computer work.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 20 April 20
Kris Dersch
Great introduction to the life and work of Ada Lovelace. Will be of particular interest to science loving kiddos. The illustrations are vibrant and the back matter, which includes a list of her nicknames, is great.
Tasha
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ada Lovelace was born the daughter of the famous poet, Lord Byron. But she was more like her mother and interested in numbers rather than words. As a young woman, Ada invented a flying machine that she did all of the mathematics for. She spent time experimenting with wind and sails to inform her calculations. Despite a health scare that left her blind and paralyzed for some time, Ada continued to learn math and love numbers. When she met Charles Babbage, the inventor of the first mechanical comp ...more
Martha
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-6-non-fiction
Ada Byron Lovelace was a child with brilliant parents, her mother Lady Byron an accomplished mathematician earned the title"The Princess of Parallelograms," her father Lord Byron the famous poet was so unfaithful, her mother left him when Ada was very young. As a young child Ada shared her mothers' passion for math and science, inventing a flying machine, calculating number sets to compute how the wings could fly. Aware of her daughter's outstanding talents and passion for discovery, her mother ...more
Linda
It’s an inspiring book for those interested in women’s restrictions in the past, the early beginnings of computing, and how people who work hard to solve problems when passionate about them. Ada Lovelace was a daughter of Lord Byron, but estranged from him early in life. Her mother loved mathematics, and supported Ada’s interest in pursuing learning math. Eventually, Ada was introduced to the well-known mathematician, Charles Babbage, becoming a life-long friend. His analytical machine was a won ...more
M W
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love picture book biographies. They are such a great way to introduce younger children to history and provide a platform to introduce all kinds of discussions. I also get to learn new things at the same time. Our Bookmobile librarians have been mixing non-fiction picture book biographies with the fiction picture books, allowing us to discover ones that we would probably never otherwise see.

This story of a brilliant nineteenth-century female mathematician/early programmer brings up the dangers
Estelle
Written with children,especially girls, this is an inspiring book for all - no mathematical talent needed to appreciate. It's a beautifully illustrated (do take time to enjoy the images!) book about the life of Ada Lovelace, considered the first computer programmer and for whom the computer programming language Ada is named.
RachelAnne
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Gr. 2-4 This accessible, beautifully illustrated picture book biography fills a sizable gap in STEM collections. The mention of Ada's famous father will be meaningless to most young readers. The real appeal here is the way that Ada's curiosity and passion for mathematics carried her through severe illness and the limitations imposed on girls in the nineteenth century.
Tracy Clausen
Well-written picture book biography with lovely illustrations - it would make a fascinating read-aloud to a 3rd or 4th grade class. Does an excellent job highlighting women as inventors and pioneers in math and science. Challenges young people to consider and explore the inventions that helped create the computers and computer programs they use every day. Highly recommended.
Kerry Weinstein
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book about Ada Lovelace, who is known for writing the first algorithm used in the future to run computers, to show girls how fun math and science can be. Ada's adventures with creating inventions and figuring out equations are delightfully illustrated.
Jason
Her origins are a bit misleading here in that from the beginning, Ada was set upon a path of learning math and science precisely because her mother didn't want her to follow in her father's scandalous footsteps. She may have loved it, but she didn't choose it initially.
W.H. Beck
Nov 01, 2015 added it
Shelves: g-info, g-bio
Another awesome "I-didn't-know-that" picture book biography. Ada Byron Lovelace was a math prodigy who wrote the first computer program (although she was so ahead of her time, she couldn't test it out).
Michael Fitzgerald
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An interesting figure, but the book is a bit overwrought. Not crazy about the illustration style.
Catherine Siemann
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable. i am not this book's target audience, but am looking at Ada as icon. And this book is utterly . . . adorable.
Beverly
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was not familiar with this female mathematician before I read this book. Amazing story.
Alexis
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary: This is the story of the short, adventurous life of Ada Byron Lovelace, otherwise known as the Bride of Science. Most women during her lifetime were focused on getting married and bearing children. Ada, however, had a tremendous love for math and science. Since childhood, Ada was curious and full of mathmatecal ideas and scientific inventions. Although she suffered through many troubles, such as sickness and temporary impairments, she would continue to improve on her knowledge. With the ...more
Mitchell
I've read a number of different works of various sorts on Ada, Countess of Lovelace. This one is a pretty good children's picture book biography. But also seems to be a pretty good book on the subject. As always, it's a choice what the author chooses to focus on. This works focuses more on her childhood then others I remember. Other works indicate that she might not actually have even written the first program for Babbage's machine. But still she is part of the mythos around the origin of progra ...more
Beverly
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a Math major in college. I wish I could say the subject came as easily for me as it did for Ada Byron Lovelace. She was the daughter of Lord Byron but decided to study in the technical realm instead of the literary one. She was a brilliant woman and is an inspiration for young women of today. I taught Math for several years and somehow missed the history of Lovelace even after taking the History of Mathematics in college.
A highly recommended read especially for the upper elementary grades
Taylor Maiese
I loved reading this story about how Ada Bryon Lovelace became the first person to writer a computer program. I loved learning how she expressed her creativity through math and science and understood the computer better then anyone so she wrote a guide so others could understand it like her. I think this book is incredible because it shows how intelligent and passionate about this project and how she chose to write the program. This was very good and interesting book to read.
Kris
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really interesting. Ada Byron Lovelace is worthy of a full biography, and this picture book biography covers the basics well, with beautiful illustrations. My critique is that it doesn’t seem to know who it’s audience should be. It is too short for middle-schoolers, and the picture book format wouldn’t really appeal to the majority of them, but it is too long and complex for most elementary school students. I loved it as an adult, though. :)
Miss Sarah
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this biography of mathematician Ada Byron Lovelace simple, easy to follow and inspiring. Aimed at early elementary I would sit one on one with a preschooler for this. I love her struggles in light of the times, her health and her gender to pursue her dream of math. I also loved that the bulk of the information wasn't in the author afterword. The author's afterward simple expanded upon her life after the end of the story and her influence post death. A great read
Sheri
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting biography about a woman born to a poet and a mathematician who loves numbers and creates the first computer programming language. She suffers diseases and temporary blindness but meets Charles Babbage the inventor and mathematician who works on creating new inventions and they come up with computers. Better used for a children's non-fiction study on the life of someone than a read aloud. Informational.
Villain E
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book on Ada Lovelace. Spends more time on her childhood than most. I like the illustrations of the Difference Engine. I don't think the book did the best job of showing how amazing it was for Ada to design a program a hundred years before computer programing was a thing. I realize computer programming doesn't make for dynamic storytelling, but that is the challenge one accepts when setting out to write a book about Ada Lovelace.
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
  • Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • Take a Picture of Me, James Van Der Zee!
  • Lighter Than Air: Sophie Blanchard, the First Woman Pilot
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • A Poem for Peter
  • Margaret and the Moon: How Margaret Hamilton Saved the First Lunar Landing

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Award-winning author Laurie Wallmark’s debut picture book, ADA BYRON LOVELACE AND THE THINKING MACHINE (Creston Books, 2015), received four starred trade reviews (Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and School Library Journal) and many national awards including Outstanding Science Trade Book and Cook Prize Honor Book. Her picture book biography, GRACE HOPPER: QUEEN OF COMPUTER CODE (Sterling Chil ...more