Start by marking “Feeling Loved: The Science of Nurturing Meaningful Connections and Building Lasting Happiness” as Want to Read:

NA
Published December 3rd 2015 by BenBella Books (first published November 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Feeling Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feeling Loved

Start your review of Feeling Loved: The Science of Nurturing Meaningful Connections and Building Lasting Happiness
Kim Cataldo
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I expected more from this book but it did help me start thinking about how feeling unloved as a child has effected other relationships.
Rachel
Feb 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
This author goes on an anti-psychiatric med rant (stating that anti-depressants make it impossible to feel loved) for so long I could not make it through this book.
Xuân Diệu
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dạo gần đây mình muốn tìm hiểu về Thiền nên đã tìm và được gợi ý quyển sách này. Đây là một quyển sách thú vị. Mở đầu quyển sách, tác giả nói về cảm giác. Yêu và cảm giác được yêu hoàn toàn khác nhau. Trên thực tế, nhiều người cảm thấy cô độc vì không cảm thấy được yêu, và điều này dẫn đến trầm cảm, tự sát. Ví dụ, trong một gia đình, ba mẹ đều yêu thương 2 đứa trẻ như nhau theo một cách nào đó nhưng sẽ có đứa trẻ không cảm nhận được tình yêu thương của ba mẹ mà sinh chống đối. Khi người lớn hiểu ...more
Dante Erz
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Admittedly, Feeling Loved is very far from my typical reading preferences, but it was an attempt to get out of my comfort zone. The format of the book is the telling of many stories that relate to the subject of the chapter. These stories are helpful because they give the reader a real life situation to make the subject more applicable. Segal, however, overuses these stories to the point where they dominate the book. The reader doesn’t get enough information of how to improve their life because ...more
Cat Yanish
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this book helpful and it had some good resources. I appreciated how it offered some alternatives to medication, and how it pointed at love as a way to deal with depression or anxiety. I didn’t really like the tone, I thought the book was actually a bit depressing, but it definitely helped me think of new ways to be a better communicator and to manage stress, so I’d recommend it to other people.
Alexandra Fil
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This book was short and well-written, but the advice sort of boiled down to "stop looking at your phone so much and go make a human connection". It was good advice, but I guess I was expecting something a little more profound.
Jill
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I listened to this book and thought it was pretty interesting. I didn't come away with anything definitive, just more of a desire to slow down and be aware of what I'm feeling and to disconnect from technology more.
Morgan Sohl
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I listened to this on audiobook. I think the book would probably be better but the narrator made this not fun to listen too.
LemontreeLime
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Says quickly what most other books spend an extra 300 pages to say. Still worth the perusal.
Sharon Pomeroy
We need to show love more in life
Michelle
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It was helpful and gave me a lot to think about, but it didn't blow me away, either. I am glad to know about Dr. Segal's website, helpguide.org, and plan to use it a lot, especially the mindfulness tools and such. I would recommend this for those who are dealing with stress, feeling unloved, depression, anxiety, and the like. I think the way the book was organized is helpful, too, as she sort of sets the stage with some basic knowledge, uses case studies, gives you concrete tools, and more.

Note:
Ms. Reader
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review...

This book was "okay". It was very difficult for me to maintain interest in it, for the information started to feel very repetitive and boring. There were a lot of "scientific facts" behind connections between relationships and feelings of being loved vs. feeling loved, etc. but nothing I felt like I could actually benefit from, relate too, let alone receive advice from (though it did have some solid advice
Jerri
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Most profound insight was provided upon reflection of the suicide of a loved one. In essence, even though someone is surely loved, they may not feel it. It's a reminder that our words and actions may not have the intended impact. It depends upon the perception of the receiver, which is influenced by past experiences. Only listening to expressed thoughts can reveal what is really going on.
Moira-ji
Well, that didn't last long. Quite a lot of talking about what it's going to talk about without ever getting around to directly talking about it. Had to abandon this one. Maybe it should have been an essay.
catharine
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, g-play, non-fiction
I think this book was doing the best it could.
But it wasn't particularly enlightening to me to hear a dozen different stories about people's struggles.
Ruth
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
heel nuttig boek, helpt om te zien wat je zelf kunt doen om je geliefd te voelen. goede achtergrond informatie over hoe emoties en stress op elkaar inwerken.
Alyssa
Sep 12, 2016
Dinna Amelina
Dec 27, 2018
Alissa Anderson
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2019
Carolina
Jan 09, 2017
Jackie
Dec 21, 2015
Annie
Apr 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams
  • Loving People: How to Love & Be Loved
  • Beginner's Pluck: Build Your Life of Purpose and Impact Now
  • Try Softer: A Fresh Approach to Move Us out of Anxiety, Stress, and Survival Mode--and into a Life of Connection and Joy
  • The Book of Waking Up: Experiencing the Divine Love That Reorders a Life
  • Census
  • The Unnamable
  • The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness
  • The Misfit's Manifesto
“He wanted to understand what she felt, as well as what she thought, and his approving interest and encouragement made her feel deeply known and valued.” 0 likes
“We have stressful habits that stand in the way of our desire for change and leave us feeling empty. We have fast-paced lifestyles filled with technological distractions and oversimplified solutions to complex problems that keep us from what we really need.” 0 likes