Start by marking “The Telomerase Revolution: What the Latest Science Reveals About the Nature of Aging and the Potential for Dramatic Life Extension” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Science is on the cusp of a revolutionary breakthrough. We now understand more about aging—and how to prevent and reverse it—than ever before.

In recent years, our understanding of the nature of aging has grown exponentially, and dramatic life extension—even age reversal—has moved from science fiction to real possibility.

Dr. Michael Fossel has been in the forefront of aging
Published October 6th 2015 by BenBella Books (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Telomerase Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Telomerase Revolution

Emer
What started off as an appealing look into the science behind ageing in the body soon descended into a diet self help book???

This book really works in the early stages as a thought experiment. Because right now that's what a lot of this is, theory without actual trials. But sadly the author from his impassioned standpoint began to preach to the reader too much. His writing suffered from a case of 'overwrought dramatics'.

The theory is brilliant. In very simplified terms, a chromosome is that mo
Jacob Appel
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Fossel, an expert on geriatrics and human aging, takes readers on a highly compelling adventure into the future of anti-aging therapies, which will center around the use of telomerase treatments. The volume explores such fundamental questions as how and why we age--and then, in lucid and riveting prose, explains precisely what today's cutting-edge researchers are doing to reverse the process. Written with compassion and a deep humanistic perspective, this is a must-read for anyone interested ...more
Jasmine
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a departure from the reviews I usually give, but given my background in genetics I was highly interested in this book. It was an eye opening and fascinating introduction and a thorough coverage of the background of the history of research in this particular topic. What started as many theories of aging have now come together and can be explained by the telomere, opening doors to future possible treatments and therapies for those looking to stop aging. This book is definitely recommended ...more
Jeff Sutherland
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get ready for more healthy years ...

Telomere extenders have been around for a decade and research is accelerating. Apparently all chronic diseases can be the traced back to aging induced by shortening telomeres.
Donna Luu
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Informative about telomeres and telomerase generally, but since telomerase activators aren't available, the author admits the standard advice still applies: eat a healthy diet, exercise, and meditate.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book from a goodreads giveaways. This book discusses aging and the causes along with the myths throughout history on the subject.
Geetanjali Mukherjee
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
* I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was incredibly eye-opening and both depressing and hope-giving at the same time. "The Telomerase Revolution" describes the current theories of what causes aging, debunks several myths and
describes the role of telomeres in most aging-related diseases. Although at times the book uses more medical and scientific jargon than is palatable in a book aimed at a lay audience, the basic arguments and facts
GONZA
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best book up to date about aging and thelomerase. I had read something before but this one is surely the best so far. The subject can be tricky and normally there has to be some sort of biological background, but the author is pretty clear and I didn't have any problem to understand. Plus I appreciate his attitude of "I'm not a miracle man" all along the book.

Probabilmente il miglior testo sull'argomento telomerasi che ho letto fino ad ora, e ne ho letto qualcuno. L'argomento puó es
Gio
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Fossel is on a mission to eradicate age-related diseases, such as cancer, osteoporosis and Alzheimer's.

How? Telomere therapy. Telomeres are "caps" at the end of chromosomes (the molecules that carry your genetic information). Their job is to protect chromosomes. Problem is, every time a cell divides and replicates, the telemore gets a little bit shorter. Older people have much shorter telomeres than young people. Scientists now theorise that, if you can re-lenghten telomeres, you could potent
Daniel Houck
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot wait for this book to come. I will update this review after I receive this book in the mail. Thank you so much!
Julia
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The 1st half is interesting and informative; the 2nd part is dull and sounds more like a lengthy ad for TA65
Zjjohnston
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting. I learned about DNA replication. Towards the end Fossel seemed to be stating a possibilities as facts, or near-facts. I'm not quite as optimistic as he is.
But, glad I read it.
Texjim
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book details much of the support for the evolving hypothesis that aging related illnesses may be corrected all or in part by addressing their underlying cause, cellular aging due to truncation of genomic telomeres. The author suggests this is a white paper about the role of telomeres in aging specifically for the laymen. Telomeres are repeated sequences at the end of our chromosomes. Each time the cell divides the chain of telomeres shortens until eventually duplication and subsequent functi ...more
Angie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dr. Fossel covers all the basics of aging: how it works on the molecular level (and why the theories you've heard about aging are wrong), what it affects on the physiological level, and what could be different if we could slow it down, prevent it, or even reverse it. He tells us how telomerase has worked in laboratory settings, paints a picture of society without diseases associated with aging, and maintains a practitioner's focus on action rather than theory. I learned a lot about how aging hap ...more
Debbie
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, non-fiction
"The Telomerase Revolution" explains the telomere theory of aging and how this knowledge may lead to prevention of age-related diseases. Overall, the author was able to clearly explain scientific ideas at a level that the general public can understand. He's not trying to impress people with his knowledge but convey information that he's excited about.

He explained various ideas people have held about what causes aging, then he described the telomere theory of aging and addressed some common misco
Spencer Wolf
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Telomerase Revolution by Michael Fossel is an excellent, passionate update on the progress and benefits of telomerase as a likely cure for aging and its related diseases. Many chapters are devoted to understanding the body's systems that deteriorate with age and the killers such as cancer and Alzheimers that expose themselves once age has settled in. With all the evidence presented and understood in the scientific community about telomeres and the expression of telomerase for the youthfulnes ...more
Enrique Fernandez
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Learnt a lot about Telemeters and telomerases, which are tiny structures at the edges of our DNA that hold the chromosomes together. It is believed these structures will be key to our understanding of aging as telomeres get shorter with each subsequent DNA replication in our cells. As they shorter, each subsequent division is not an exact replica of the DNA parent, and mutations occur. It is believed that many deceases spring from this phenomenon.

It was very informative and learnt quite a bit a
Zora
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating information overall. But I kind of lost interest in the last chapter, particularly the section "Compassion and Human Life", which I found a *little* too touchy-feely and philosophical, and ended up skimming. 3.5 stars.
Kathleen
The book made a very interesting case for more research into the use of telomerase therapy. While it emphasized that it's not a panacea, it pointed out myriad possibilities for an increased quality of life for older people. The author used technical and medical terms, but it was still fairly accessible to a non-scientist like myself. I would recommend this book for anyone who is interested in science and the health issues of later life. (I received this in a goodreads giveaway.)
Marge
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! The author takes us on a big adventure explaining all the aspects of aging, from what happens to our cells as they age to what extending our lifespan will mean to various social structures. It was written in an easy to understand way (considering what the topic is) with a bit of humor on the side. This is such an exciting time to be alive. The events in just this millennium are awesome when compared to the happenings in the previous 16 years.
Dav
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The clinical descriptions of the mechanics and results of cellular aging were about the most viscerally terrifying things I've ever read. Luckily, the book also makes a compelling case that there is a decent chance many under ~40 now may never experience the acute effects themselves. Short book, well worth the read.
Taryn
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely interesting, it is centered around explaining how the process of aging occurs and different theories revolving around slowing or possibly reversing the aging process. I really enjoy non fiction books and this one had a lot of cool information and it was made fairly easy to understand.
Roxanne
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of the book from GoodReads.

I was intimidated at first when I thumbed through this book. Once I began reading, it was extremely interesting without being over my head with scientific data and terminology.

Aurore
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
it was a long scientifical book i learnt a lot of things on this and it was a difficult reading for someone who isn't english fluent speaker !
I really liked it
Cindy Mendes Ravn
Interesting at times but I was left with many questions which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would have liked more on the theoretical results of this type of therapy.
Grimrichard
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a good primer on the promise of telomerase and it sticks more or less safely with the science and only occasionally gets "snake oilly."
J.E. Williams
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good introduction to telomeres and telomerase in health, disease, and anti-aging. Must read for everyone wanting to improve health and telomere length.
D
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • In Pursuit : Of Happiness and Good Government
  • Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions
  • Dreamscape: Saving Alex
  • Scarlet Rain (The Escaped, #2)
  • A Stolen Kiss (Stolen Royals #1)
  • Science in Action: How to Follow Scientists and Engineers Through Society
  • Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • Reimagined: How amazing people design lives they love
  • Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions
  • Nice Girls Endure
  • Children of the Tipi: Life in the Buffalo Days
  • Games People Play: Game Theory In Life, Business And Beyond
  • The Hunt for Vulcan: . . . And How Albert Einstein Destroyed a Planet, Discovered Relativity, and Deciphered the Universe
  • Diagnosing Giants: Solving the Medical Mysteries of Thirteen Patients Who Changed the World
  • The Basic Practice of Statistics
  • Clearing Emotional Clutter: Mindfulness Practices for Letting Go of What's Blocking Your Fulfillment and Transformation
  • The Tao of Network Security Monitoring: Beyond Intrusion Detection
  • The Man with the Golden Typewriter: Ian Fleming’s Bond Letters
“Charles-Édouard Brown-Séquard, a world-famous physician who practiced in France, England, and the United States in the mid-1800s. He claimed that he “rejuvenated sexual prowess after eating extracts of monkey testis.” Those who adhere to Mark Twain’s suggestion that you should eat a live frog for breakfast, because nothing worse can then happen to your day, clearly haven’t reckoned with Brown-Séquard’s approach to self-improvement!” 1 likes