Start by marking “The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight” as Want to Read:

It’s been proven that a plant-based diet is good for your weight, health, budget, and the environment, but the proof hasn’t come with a game plan—until now.

If you’ve ever wanted to make the plant-based switch but felt overwhelmed about where to start, we have good news: you don’t have to do it alone. The Plant-Based Journey provides the support you need every step of the w
Published September 15th 2015 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about The Plant-Based Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plant-Based Journey

The China Study by T. Colin CampbellHow Not to Die by Michael GregerWhole by T. Colin CampbellEat to Live by Joel FuhrmanPrevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.
Plant-Based Diet
107 books — 130 voters
Fast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanSalt by Mark KurlanskyCurry by Lizzie Collingham
Books about Food
235 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Lanell
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Library loan but now I want to buy it!

I have read a few books about going plant-based. This one is the best for keeping it real. Lani gives easy step by step instructions and ideas for getting started. It's not an all or nothing approach. It's about taking it one day at a time and making the transition at your pace so that it's a lasting change. I'm going to read it again. The recipes look good too.
Inder
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The idea of becoming a full-time (even part-time) vegan can seem pretty daunting to someone "enjoying" the standard American diet! This little book is full of very helpful and pragmatic suggestions for making incremental changes in that direction. I really enjoyed the author's nonjudgmental and helpful tone, and her approach to cooking, with basic "templates" that you can vary in different ways, fits with my general improvisational approach to preparing food (although I have not tried any of her ...more
Dr. Sharada
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clearly written, informative, and inspiring. I wish I could convince everyone I know and love to read this book! It is the perfect companion to documentaries like *Forks Over Knives* and books like *The China Study*. It provides the "how to" to their "why eat plant-based."
Online Eccentric Librarian
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

The Plant-Based Journey is intelligently written: friendly but with modern, busy schedule aesthetics that make its flexible plans easy to adopt and follow. The book eschews all animal-based products (eggs, milk, cheese, meats, etc.) as well as all oils. They are replaced with a core set of recipes that are open to replacements/substitutions/personalizing. Ideas for advance preparation make the transition a bit smoother -
Andrea Ivins
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An incredible guide for anyone, anywhere on their own plant-based journey to strategize an easy, doable plan for transitioning or refreshing a whole food plant-based lifestyle. Lani’s tips are easy to execute and feasible in any schedule. She helps you plan for not only a successful transition to the plant-based lifestyle, but for more time resources for fitness, responses to the family dynamic adjustment, social situations, and systemized kitchen readiness. Are you tired of vegan junk food? Me ...more
Barbara
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It can be overwhelming thinking about changing your diet to plant-based. There is a lot of scientific based evidence in this book. I see how it can be doable for anyone that is committed to changing their health, vitality, energy, and life. I loved the format of this book. It had a section that includes templates to convert all your favorite meat-type meals to plant-based, with variations and choices. There were many examples of several individuals' stories about how they changed their diets. Me ...more
Ireene
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book for the beginners of the plant-based eating or for people who just want to eat healthier! Really easy and understandable step by step guide. After reading this no one should have trouble becoming plant-based. Simple recipes, great tips for preparing food etc. And I also liked the real life experiences, stories and interviews from other people. Why 4 stars and not 5? Well I would have preferred little more mentioning of ethics as well. It is great that people eat plant-based for heal ...more
Polly Krize
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The key word in this title is Transitioning. A plant-based diet does not need to be traumatic or self-depriving, and the value of plants in our diet is enormous. This choice can help on the journey to better health, weight loss and self image. Gentle suggestions are provided in this well-written book.

Diane
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Curious or thinking about going plant-based, this book will be a great source of information that will inspire you to make some positive changes. The layout makes for a fun read with easy to follow directions to help get you started on your journey. This one is keeper!

I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley.
Margaret Sullivan
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This book was really helpful to me in getting on track with my transition to a WFPB (whole food, plant-based) lifestyle. I get home relatively late most nights, so I was used to grabbing takeout or microwaving a frozen dinner, so adjusting to cooking from scratch was difficult. At first I kept trying to make elaborate meals, but then this book helped me realize I had to keep it simple. I do some basic food prep on the weekends, and then have vegetables and whole-grains ready to heat up and combi ...more
Lori
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-nutrition
This is an ok book for those just beginning a plant-based diet, but you may find this book severely lacking in sustenance. It gives the basics, but it doesn't tell you how to organize your pantry or enough recipes to get you started. For the price, I would have preferred more information. I won't discourage anyone from getting this because it is helpful, but if you are looking for data, help with your pantry or a lot of recipes, this is not the right book.
Stella
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great hands on approach addressing all the how tos i could think of. And simple, straightforward recipes and tips. I will read this again.
Susan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, health
This is the best book I have read about beginning a plant-based diet. It is very detailed and easy to understand including recipes, shopping lists and FAQ.
Sarah Jubinville
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An ideal book for anyone interested in a plant-based diet.
Carly
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must have book for anyone transitioning or thinking about transitioning to a plant-based diet! It has everything you need to know and makes you motivated and ready to start the transition.
Elaine
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Muelrath writes an insightful, informative guide for those who are curious about the Plant- Based Journey. Her plan includes whole foods, no meat, and no oil, which may seem too Spartan to some readers. However, she presents both the science and her experience as verification, and I find her conclusions to be logical and convincing. The book is a complete guide to transitioning to this new way of eating in gradual steps with tips for stocking the pantry, tasty recipes, and templates for cooking. ...more
Gail Richmond
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author is an elementary teacher and thus presents a plant-based food program in easily understood language, incorporating many quotes and individual stories of her own and others who have made the life-style change to remove animals and animal food products from their diets. Lots of tips and how-to such as shopping lists, essential kitchen equipment, eating out, travel meals, staying on track, making the choice between fat and non-fat or sugar or non-sugar are addressed.

Menu plans are simpli
Kim Veach
Wish I had this book when I first went plant based. It's so easy to read and helps you no matter where you are on the road towards plant-based, whether you are just trying to add in more plants to your daily diet to following the plan 100%. So many practical ideas and suggestions. Instead of recipes, she mostly gives you templates for how to create meals (a burrito template, a Buddha bowl template, etc.)
V.K. Budd
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent guide and a good reference book for helping anyone trying to follow healthier eating plans - whether a beginner or someone who has already changed. Recipes and recipe templates are also very useful.
Susan
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific easy read with lots of good advice

This is a wonderful book with great stories of people's struggles along with good advice on how to proceed with a whole food plant based way of eating. I will re-read this.
Bernadette
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who cares about taking responsibility for their health
Recommended to Bernadette by: Ben Bella books
Very good. Easy, delicious recipes. Good advice on the what of plant based eating, the why and the how. Easy to follow steps on making the transition, and staying the course.
Jenni
Oct 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Becoming Vegan Express Edition
  • The Good Karma Diet: Eat Gently, Feel Amazing, Age in Slow Motion
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
  • A Plant-Based Life: Your Complete Guide to Great Food, Radiant Health, Boundless Energy, and a Better Body
  • The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings--And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
  • The Happy Herbivore Guide to Plant-Based Living
  • The Low-Carb Fraud
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The Thrive Diet
  • Eat for Health: The Mind and Body Makeover
  • The Plant-Based Solution: A Vegan Cardiologist's Plan to Save Your Life and the Planet
  • Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen: Over 220 Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Transform Your Health
  • Oy Vey Vegan - Vegan Cuisine with a Mediterranean Flair
  • Voices of the Food Revolution: You Can Heal Your Body and Your World with Food!
  • Keep it Vegan