Start by marking “The Time Before Now (Return to Earth #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Time Before Now (Return to Earth #0.5)

The Time Before Now

(Return to Earth #0.5)

More than fifty years have passed since “peak oil” has left the Earth without access to modern technology while great Cloud Cities for the rich float above the oceans.

On the ground below, Vivian Yates leaves Oklahoma on an epic 700-mile journey east to her ancestral home. Early on, she encounters Elizabeth, who preys on Vivian’s inexperience and naivety, luring her into a
Published October 6th 2015 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about The Time Before Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Before Now

Start your review of The Time Before Now (Return to Earth #0.5)
Joc
This was quite a strange read in that it's set over a hundred years in the future but reads like a historical novel set in pioneer days. In this future world, the sea has absorbed most of the coastal cities, inland cities are crumbling monuments to the lack of care taken of the earth, people on earth have returned to a pre-industrial way of life where bartering is the currency and the wealthy minority of each nation have risen into the clouds on hydrogen power synthetic cities.

Vivian Wildfire Ya
Jem
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Time Before Now is labeled as a FF&P (Futuristic, Fantasy & Paranormal -- I had to Google that :)) so I spent most of the book waiting for the FF&P stuff...that never actually happens. :( Which also means good news for lesbian romance lovers cause what this book really is, is a standard, slow-burn romance set amidst a road trip in the wild, wild (mid)west :).

Sometime in the 22nd century, Earth was hit by a triple whammy of the worst catastrophes: exhaustion of fossil fuels, an unfortunate t
Lexxi Kitty
Ah shesh. heh. - A) seconds (minutes, or whatever) before 'it' happened, an event before the end of the book, I had the thought that 'the way two lesbians would, in this world, get a kid . . .' would be x. Then, seemingly immediately after that thought, x occurred. mmphs; B) a 'touching' Cheerekee story is told - problem is that I've heard/read that story way too often while still feeling annoyed about what all occurred just there at the end of the book.

But that seemed to be a theme of the book.
Tara
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the author's best book yet. It features Ida and Vivian, Cole's aunts from All Things Rise, and how they get together. I loved Vivian. Like, big time loved her. And Ida is just sweet and wonderful. I'm so glad we got to see how they got together.
Loek Krancher
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling adventure!

Oh my, what a journey! It was rough, full of obstacles, dangerous but also beautiful. Vivian has a hard life, has to endure a lot, struggling for survival. She has no home and no family. Meeting a complete stranger changed her life instantly. Patience, understanding, gentleness and a lot of love is all Vivian needed to break down her wall and her reward was awesome. Both main characters were vivid and imaginative. I enjoyed all the details during the journey, the setting and
Justina Johnson
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, intrigue, paranormal
This book is part of the ‘Return to Earth’ series and features two magnificent women with strength and vision who not only survive on a kind of post-apocalyptic Earth, but thrive, flourish, and overcome a myriad of challenges and tests thrown at them by various elements and enemies during a 700-mile journey. They are both drawn to return to the Blue Mountains in North Georgia for different reasons, but both having equal provocation. This story, these people, and definitely this world during this ...more
Darlene Vendegna
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Warning. Do not start to read this book if you expect to get anything else done in a day. I started this book last night and absolutely could not put it down. Great story, wonderful characters. This is a prequel to Missouri Vaun's earlier book "All Things Rise". It's the story of how Ida and Vivien met and fell in love. They are the women who raised Cole, the main character from ATR. If you enjoyed All Things Rise, you will love this one as well.
Oudelli
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is one I will read over and over

That is probably the best way to describe how this story made me feel. Usually I just read a story and forget it (that’s partially the fault of my crap memory) but this one I’ll remember and re-read. This is only my third Missouri Vaun book but there will be many more, of that I am certain. Thank you for the great work.
Gina
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016, ebook
The Time Before Now is an enjoyable, easy to read romance. Vivian and Ida were introduced in All Things Rise, but this follows the story of their meeting and journey to love.

I thought the plot was good. Not one of those breakneck romances that happens in the blink of an eye, but not quite a slow burn either. Vivian and Ida are interesting, well developed characters that stand well on their own and better together.

This may not be my favorite book of all time, but I did find it highly enjoyable.
Cheryl
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
I liked the premise as that is where our nation is headed if we do not stop our rape of this planet. I didn't care much for the development of the story in that it was kinda thrown together just to tell a story. Sometimes what is on the dresser and stuck in the frame of a mirror is just as important in creating ambiance as the characters themselves. To me the book felt rushed to spit out the story of the characters without giving much thought to background. I basically skimmed the book to the en ...more
JaimeL
Julia
Nov 22, 2016

• Never Just Friends
  • Certain Requirements
  • Outlaw: A Lesbian Retelling of Robyn Hood (The Robyn Hood Adventures Book 1)
  • Just for Show
  • Rocky Road
  • Lucky Love: A Lesbian Romance
  • Halfway Home
  • Coast Guard Rescue One
  • Just Jada: A Lesbian Romance
  • Sweet Surrender (Sweet Surrender #1)
  • Eden's Garden
  • Big Girl Pill
  • Blurred Lines (Cops and Docs, #1)
  • Escape to Pirate Island
  • Not the Marrying Kind
  • Breaking Character
  • Edge of Glory
  • Beyond Time
Missouri Vaun is a two-time Golden Crown Literary Society award-winning lesbian romance writer published by Bold Strokes Books. Her latest novel, CHASING SUNSET, is a sexy rom-com road trip.

Vaun spent a large part of her childhood in southern Mississippi, before attending high school in North Carolina and college in Tennessee. Strong connections to her roots in the rural South have been a groundi

Return to Earth (3 books)
  • All Things Rise (Return to Earth #1)
  • Valley of Fire (Return to Earth #3)