Start by marking “The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters” as Want to Read:
The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters

The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters

Modern culture's worship of "how-to" pragmatism has turned us into instruments of efficiency and commerce--but we're doing more and more about things that mean less and less. We constantly ask "how? and still struggle to find purpose and act on what matters. Instead of acting on what we know to be of importance, we wait for bosses to change, we seek the latest fad, we inve ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Answer to How Is Yes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Answer to How Is Yes

Tiffany
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
REMARKS ABOUT PUBLISHING:

This book really taught me something.

1. Pages total: The Answer to How is Yes: Acting on What Matters is 206 pages long--6 pages of which are index; 1 is bibliography; 2 are acknowledgements; 1 is author bio; another 2 of author's business profile and workshops; 1 about the publisher; 3 more of the publisher's books; and 15 repeat photos Bill Dan's wonderful rock sculpture (14 times too many). Total: 176 pages of material.

2. Repetition of material: By the second chapte
Kelly
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I never would have read this book if a consultant who worked with our school last year had not recommended it. This is a book that begs to be read with others, discussing each chapter along the way. At times I had to stop, ponder, reread sections, and think about how to apply this to my life and work.

Full of many relevant points, I must be honest that this book made me regret not reading it sooner so I could have applied some of these ideas when we began our competencies' work last year. Howeve
Jay
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I wanted to find a practical way to determine what the right things to do are, and then how to do them. Ends up this is the anti-how to book. Block argues that we give too much attention to questions of how to do things, especially when we start a new project. Asking how can be a cop-out. Instead, he suggests we try to figure out why we want to do things. He offers six questions he says are typical of folks using “how thinking” and then provides six counter questions that try to determine if you ...more
Cameron Roxburgh
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OK. So what makes an excellent book? I must be honest, I have enjoyed and resonated with other books perhaps more, but rarely have I been challenged as much or been in awe as much as I was with this book.

I am amazed. I have read a few of Peter Block's books. His style isn't my style. He is a very deep thinker, and I have to work at even getting half of what is in the book... but I found myself so grateful that even in what is not explicitly a Christian book, there are challenges in the book that
Maggie
Apr 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was not a fan of this book but I enjoyed the discussions it sparked among my coworkers. We enjoyed many soul-searching sessions and I feel I've grown closer to my immediate work group and I'm grateful for that.

The style of writing was too wishy-washy and a bit contradictory of itself at times. Block shows a clear preference for one way of being in the world and I tend to be more inclusive of different personality styles (though I identified greatly with the Engineer Archetype he describes.)

Gla
Kate Arms
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taking time to do what matters IS what matters

A lovely antidote to the current cultural moment where we have devalued meaningful goals for tactics and strategy to get the next thing done.

A clarion call for bringing the reality of the human condition to bear on the practicalities of life.
Sarah Toney
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great insights into living and working in meaningful ways to create a rich life and to change the world for the better. At times difficult to grasp what he's really saying. This book would be best supported with deep conversation, but there were times that I felt I needed to highlight pages at a time. Important work.
Diane
Game.Changer. Become a citizen of your own life.
Jonathan Malone
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Note: This is more of a reflection than a review

We can’t do it alone.
I have been listening to a podcast about comic books and comic book culture. It is my way of retaining my adult responsibilities, eschewing the commitment of actually purchasing and reading comic books, and still holding onto a semblance of my adolescent desire to escape the painful waking reality in which I dwell and run to the fantasy land of heroes and monsters. In listening to this particular podcast I have come to embrace
Boone Bolinder
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A very different type of business book. I quite enjoyed most of it. The struggle within me is, and always has been, is this really what I should be doing? Will I be happy that I'm doing this 1 year, 5 years, 10 years from now?

I think Peter Block does a fantastic job laying out the struggle, but recognizes that there really is no answer.

Summary
When we resort directly to “how?” questions when we have an idea or are thinking about acting on what matters what we are often expressing is our lack of
Pam
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be best read with others to discuss a few chapters at a time. There is a lot of good information. I would have liked to read it with colleagues so it could be put in context with our work.
There are many good insights and the best are in the chapter about archetypes of leaders.
I recommend this book.
Alison Ruge
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He's trying to convince teams to stop rushing toward solutions and look at the bigger picture. He has a strong social conscience and I applaud his efforts and intentions! I love his writing and overall ambitions to bring what I consider a deeper, more ethical - let's call it spiritual - accountability to the workplace in all his books.
Chris Downey
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most of the book really resonated with me and gave a timely reminder of questioning what is important. I liked the passages on idealism and being accountable to what matters. A few sections didn't resonate so much, but overall, worth a read.
Alina Yahyaie
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At first when I saw this book, I thought with my self that I am not going to read this book. But suddenly one day I decided to read some few pages of this book cause I am addicted of reading books, and then I became a fan of this author,... just awesome, I leaned many things♥ thank you ...more
Jason
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
First half of the book was helpful. The second half was a critique of culture. The correction offered wasn't bad but not anything surprising or new.
Ann Douglas
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A guide to "pursuing what most matters to us and living with the adventure and anxiety that this requires." A bit abstract and philosophical for my taste, but still a worthwhile read.
Erin
Sep 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Like many of the self-help books out there, there is one central thought repeated ad nauseum. Not a bad concept - that one should consider if something is worth doing before becoming enmeshed in the practical details, but I didn't find it life-changing so much as common sense. But I did skip around and skim a great deal because of the repetition.
Amy Moritz
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
In all honesty, I picked up this book because of the title. I absolutely loved the sentiment and wanted to know more. After all, I have lots of projects that I've started or would like to start and always seem to run into the question (whether from others or in my own head) exactly how are you going to do this?

In this book, Block looks at how we are caught up in a results-oriented culture that looks for the right answers when perhaps we should be looking for the right questions. We want to know
Clara
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think that for some of us--namely, me, once upon a time--who feel caught in a corporate culture that doesn't quite fit, it would be all too easy to dismiss Peter Block's book as a nice idea that "won't work here." Fortunately, Block doesn't let us off the hook so conveniently. The title of the book speaks to our rush to move to process instead of staying with more fundamental questions that ask us first to consider what matters. Otherwise, we find ourselves doing more and more about things tha ...more
Paul
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: coaching
The main concept behind the book is that we have been conditioned to ask the wrong types of questions when making decisions. We often ask "How do I get X?" when we should first be asking "Why do I want this?" or "Is this Right?" If we base our decisions more on whether we're doing the right thing for the right reason (if we answer yes) then we can move to the how's of getting it done.

Organizations often place too much emphasis on the how versus why and that can lead to a stunted and ineffective
Joan
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read Block in graduate school. Bought this because the title intregued me. His responses to How - literally changed the way I think about my life and decdisions I have made. He sees "How" as the way to avoid the deeper questions. Block is unusual in the field of business writers. All of his books look, without fail, at what how we work determines the depth of our soul. This one leaves me with the question "what matters?"

Below is the publisher's review.

...morePeople keep asking "How?" as a def
Hollie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The title gives it away :)
Michelle  Foggett-Parker
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I discovered Peter Block's writing quite by accident. When I realized that he has written several books on community, stewardship, and work, I immediately checked all of his books out of the library.

This is the first book by Block that I have read and I'm going to keep reading his books.
He offers a new way of thinking about our actions that help free us from being controlled by the bombardment of messages about how we should live and act.

There are so many takeaways from this book. Taking them a
ReImagine Science
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for those inquiring with us about the future of science and technology. As the author states, "the question of intent and purpose precede the question of methodology." I especially like the section on self-agency in our work-places. Peter suggests that rather than 'blaming up' while also looking to our bosses and mentors (a parental role), we give over our own responsibility. He in fact states that most people are afraid of their bosses - not a good dynamic for effective wor ...more
Drick
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Every once and a while I need to read a book that reminds me of the value of ideals and principles for living. Management consultant and author Peter Block does just that in this book. In the same vein as Deep Change (Robert Quinn), Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (Stephen Covey), and Hidden Wholeness (Parker Palmer), this book calls for people to fight the tendency of our culture (especially in organizational life) to let cost analyses, efficiencies and what seems "realistic" to rule th ...more
Matthew Horvat
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Who's asking the right questions anyway?

I have not been doing lean consulting long enough to have a career's depth of war stories. When faced with some regular questions, I have to pull from the underlying philosophy rather than a real world example. Even in the Lean Construction history, there is not a lot of examples. Peter Block defends this approach in his 2003 book, The Answer to How is Yes.

He says that the typical How questions are a defense against action and change. When we ask how much
Trudy Brasure
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was really thought-provoking in certain sections. I love books that compel you to re-evaluate your assumptions and perspectives. The author challenges you to carve a life of individual purpose instead of automatically following what everyone else in society does. And best of all, as the title suggests, the author reiterates that moving forward isn't necessarily contingent on knowing the exact details on how you will accomplish something, it's keeping your values and highest motives in ...more
Christine CC
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book was on the shelf of a former boss, whom I respected for her fresh and human perspective. Block guides us to ask the 'right' questions - not how do we achieve 'the goal' but are we even on the right track. The 'yes' is doing what our passion is; allowing freedom to find our own way to success... We, as individuals, need to act in courage on what matters to us and trust that this action will lead us to success.
Jill
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: creative-comms
I really liked the beginning of this -- when too many "how" questions are asked, it's a pretty good indication that those asking them are doubtful and uncertain about doing the thing in question -- and that should be examined. Also, relying on others' answers to 'how' questions emphasizes their experiences at the expense of our own wisdom. But after those opening chapters, the bogged down for me.
Trish
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Worth the read if for nothing more than the chapter on Boss'. I continue to appreciate Peter Block's choice to confront his readers with their own freedom. Slightly idealistic and I resonate with those who want to scream "How?" when an idealistic leader is ranting about some crazy idea, but I enjoy his wisdom in spite of this.
  • A Simpler Way
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Leadership Jazz: The Essential Elements of a Great Leader
  • Leading from the Emerging Future: From Ego-System to Eco-System Economies
  • Strategy Maps: Converting Intangible Assets into Tangible Outcomes
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • Building the Bridge as You Walk on It: A Guide for Leading Change
  • Transforming Leadership
  • Clutter Busting Your Life: Clearing Physical and Emotional Clutter to Reconnect with Yourself and Others
  • The Mindful Leader: Ten Principles for Bringing Out the Best in Ourselves and Others
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
  • Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
“The choice to worry about why we are doing something more than how we do something is risky business.” 3 likes
“Maybe the unvarnished meaning of growing up is the acceptance that living out our values, and also winning the approval of those who have power over us, is an unfulfillable longing.” 2 likes