Start by marking “Yo! Yes?” as Want to Read:
Yo! Yes?

Yo! Yes?

(Yo!)

An effective, unusual 34-word story of the beginnings of a friendship, accompanied by wild and wonderful illustrations. Against pastel backgrounds, in vibrant, colorful images, an African-American boy and a white boy meet on the street. [Their] one- and two-word exchanges on each spread lead to a tentative offer of friendship, sealed as both boys jump high in the air and y ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Scholastic Inc. (first published March 1st 1993)

Start your review of Yo! Yes?
Calista
This is a beginning little story about an introvert and an extravert. Each page has one or two words for each character going back and forth. The extravert is asking to be friends by getting his attention with ‘Yo’ and the introvert doesn’t get what’s going on. He is unsure of what’s happening. Eventually, they get there and they do become friends.

It’s a simple and sweet book. It has great energy and the characters do come across the page. The colors are bold and it is fun.

The nephew thought thi
Manybooks
Truth be told, illustrations of Chris Raschka's award winning Yo! Yes? do not really appeal all that much to me on a personal and aesthetic level (for while bright and lively, the facial expressions in particular do feel a bit overly vague and flatly washed-out), but indeed I do have to absolutely and with pleasure admit that they do work exceedingly well with the sparse but effective text (mirroring its simplicity, but also somewhat expanding on the bare-bones printed words by also showing the ...more
Dolly
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
Simple one or two-word sentences and lots of punctuation tell a tale of loneliness and friendship. Very basic, short and good for beginning readers. Our girls liked this story and could read it by themselves.

This book was selected as one of the books for the November 2016- Caldecott Honor discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Jenny
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
While I can see the value of this book for beginning readers and English language learners, it did not particularly appeal to me. The text is simple, two boys saying hello and beginning a friendship using just a few words. The illustrations are bright and help convey the meaning. However, I did not find either the text or illustrations appealing.
SaraLaLa
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
If you like things to be overly concise, this is the book for you. With typically one (at most two) word(s) on a page, the author Chris Raschka tells about one boy who initially has no friends and then gets befriended by a second boy. Umm... the end.
Megan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidbooks
Everything this man does is delightful, but this is my favorite.
Gabriela Alvarez
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yo!Yes? By Chris Raschaka is a Caldecott Honor Book and is a recommendation from the Association for Library Service to Children.
Recommend for ages 3-5

This story is about two boys who end up being friends and communicate using few words. A shy boy is suddenly surprised, when an outgoing boy who is different from him, stops him and says "Yo!" and is unsure if he's talking to him. Soon, he shares with this stranger that he has no friends, but that stranger ends up offering his friendship to him.
Fjóla
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3 - 5 year olds, preschool storytime, discuss diversity
Minimalistic, but very cute! Two little boys strike a conversation through a handful of words. They're clearly not on the same page, when the story takes off, but their desire for a friend brings them together. So much is said in such few words. It's impressive. On the first reading my 3 1/2 year old was a little confused about what was going on (it's really an unconventional book, too), but the second time it really clicked for him. He even read it himself, with the correct intonations. I hadn' ...more
Woody Calhoon
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: march
Yo! Yes? Is not a bad book on its own, but for me, personally, I just really didn't get it. I understand that it is supposed to be a story about two kids from different backgrounds becoming friends, but the book made it really just feel like two people saying the word "hello" over and over again in a variety of different ways. The art helps tell the story a little bit, but I feel like its not done well enough to support the whole story. The story is supposed to show kids that being friends with ...more
Mari Miyagi
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This might be my favorite book this week. This book shows a black boy and a white boy having a conversation in just a few words like "Yes" "You?" "No friends." etc and it shows that their differences are overcome with those simple words. If there are newcomers who are new to the country in your classroom and they speak little English like simple words like this white boy, still those words have so many meanings behind them that are enough to convey their messages. This book might help other stud ...more
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two boys navigate those first moments of a possible friendship: the "want to be my friend?" that's so hard to express. Raschka's illustrations capture the tension of the moment: one boy so outgoing and ready to take a risk, the other's body language showing his fear and self-doubt. This would make a good story for the beginning of the year in our school where one-third of our students are new each year.
Connie
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book for an early reader, with no page having more than two words (all dialog) on it.

The story is really told in the illustrations. You can see so much from how the boys stand, how small or big their words are. Very sweet story... and at a level a five year old can easily read.
Olivia Pitchford
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This story uses barely any text to describe a beautiful message. "Yo! Yes?" is very simple book about a two boys conversation between each other. One boy simply wanted to offer friendship to the other boy. This book is a 1994 Caldecot Honor Book, and I'm pretty sure that is because the message of the book is reaching out to people who don't necessarily look like you and offering to be friends anyway. Throughout the entirety of the book the two unnamed characters remained on opposite sides of the ...more
Jen Wehage-Barrera
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two boys of different races have a short question and answer conversation throughout the book. The words alone may confuse the reader, but when read with emphasis on punctuation and paired with the illustrations a deeper understanding occurs. Although their interaction is only one or two words at a time, the pictures show how their friendship develops. Companionship and loneliness are very relatable topics for people of all ages. The pictures are bright, colorful, and inviting leading to Yo! Yes ...more
SamZ
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecott
1994 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: When the outgoing boy says "Yes, me!" and the timid boy replies "You!" I love the way the friendly boy is standing there with his arms on his head. So typical of small kids.
This is a fun, very simple book that tells a great story about the value of making new friends. I love kids and the way they will simply run up to another kid and ask if they want to play and be friends. Often, they don't even ask names, they're just content to play together. It u
Shelby Zimmerman
Yo! Yes? By Chris Raschka is a fun book about an African-American boy and a white boy meeting and their exchange by a couple words. The illustrations are very bright and colorful and show the development of their friendship. The stance of the boys is very repetitive but it shows a development of characters. They start on different ends of the page and end up next to each other by the end of the book.
Lana Clifton
Two boys find friendship, despite their
differences. This book emphasizes diversity, while punctuating inclusion. Pay special attention to reading with expression during read aloud. Students need to hear the difference between words being spoken as questions or exclamations.
Kelsey Ruggirello
This is a cute book about how a boy feels like he has no friends but then another boy tells him he is his friend. Would be good for a kindergarten or 1st grade class.
Sierra Watts
This is an easy read, It shows how two strangers can become friends using a short conversation.
Alyssa Tabor
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun! Should work for friendship storytime.
Rebecca Zadick
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: exam-2
"Yo! Yes?" received the Caldecott Honor and was rated 3.5 stars from me for the simple, yet sweet message portrayed in the story, as well as the vibrant illustrations. The story line follows two boys who start as strangers, but end as friends. They meet on the street, beginning when one boy says "yo!" and the other boy replies back with "yes?" The rest is history from there. The most special aspect of the story is that it celebrates diversity because the characters have different skin tones and ...more
Cynnea Schreibman
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a story about friendship with vibrant colors being used. In this book, an African American boy and a Caucasian boy meet and only exchange two words back and forth, which are yo, and yes. The two boys meet in harmony and yell Yow at the end, which is a mixture of both words. The attitudes of the characters toward language and culture play a role in their lives because they each have their own words on how they communicate to each other. Also, when they started to get to know each other mo ...more
Rashanda Ravenel
Chris Raschka continues to impress me! This book is so fun to read. It is a great way to practice reading with inflection. It can also be used to have a lesson focused on punctuation. I would like students to come up with there own version so that the other students can guess at the topic of conversation. It was fun for me because I have often tried to figure out what is being said based off of one side of a phone conversation.
Kelly Ayala
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is short and can easily be read in 2 minutes. I do not believe it shows any literal sign of a social issue. I had too read this twice to try and get the message out of it. Maybe it was the hesitation of the white boy trying to see if being friends with an African American child is right or not. towards the end they obviously become friends but I truly do not get what the message is about.
Robert Davis
Simplistic and patronizing attempt to teach a lesson about accepting differences. While the message is good, the book is just too easily done, there is no sophistication or provocative ideas. Fine for young readers, but the idea could have been done with more thought provoking narrative. But still a good message.
Antonia
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-books
This book is a super awesome way to get children talking and using their imaginations. The book allows us the reader to see one aspect of the story which will allow teachers to prompt students to create an alternate conversation and possible ending. Love the book.
Mitchell
Simple dialogue driven encounter as long as you note that each line of dialogue is one and occasionally two words wrong. With only barely okay art. The message on this one is fine. But it doesn't make this book work for me.
Shakeema Gabriel
I love how my teacher read this in class. This is a phone read aloud . At the end the children can talk about what they thought the conversation was about. They could make up their own version with a partner.
June
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Raschka fans and friendship requests
Raschka is a genius at telling a story with few words. I had forgotten about this one for my friendship programs. 8/14

Worked really well I with a preshool class today. 9/12/17

Used for my first preschool story time and one of the younger kids repeated it word for word.
ABC
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book shows two kids becoming friends.
Friendship 1 6 Sep 07, 2014 07:20PM

• Swimmy
  • The Hello, Goodbye Window
  • Black and White
  • Alphabet City
  • So You Want to Be President?
  • The Paperboy
  • On Market Street
  • My Friend Rabbit
  • Frédéric
  • Snow
Chris Raschka is the illustrator of The Hello, Goodbye Window, which was awarded the Caldecott Medal. He is also the illustrator of the Caldecott Honor Book Yo! Yes?; Charlie Parker Played Be Bop; Mysterious Thelonious; John Coltrane’s Giant Steps; Can’t Sleep; and The Magic Flute. He lives with his wife and son in New York City.

News & Interviews