Start by marking “Hartwood: Between the Land and the Sea” as Want to Read:
Hartwood: Between the Land and the Sea

Hartwood: Between the Land and the Sea

The food served at Hartwood is "addictive," says Noma chef Rene Redzepi, adding, "It's the reason people line up for hours every single day to eat there, even though their vacation time is precious." Werner's passion for dazzling flavours and natural ingredients is expertly translated into recipes anyone can cook at home. Every dish has a balance of sweet and spicy, fresh ...more
Published October 20th 2015 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Hartwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hartwood

Start your review of Hartwood: Between the Land and the Sea
Tracy
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I wanted to read this book for the past year after hearing the authors on a podcast. The recipes seem very detailed and require a lot of herbs and spices and produce with which I am unfamiliar and suspect my family would reject even if I spend the hours most seem to require.

On the upside, I did copy two gin drink recipes which look like they might be fun to make this summer. Kids won't get a say.
Rosemary Burton
Inspiring

Infectious story unfortunately the recipes are not something I see myself making here in the States. Very seafood based and native ingredients.
Leanna Gatlin
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, inspiring

Loved the story, the education on ingredients, place, and process. Not just a recipe book! Refreshing and inspiring to read.
Wendy
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, some practical recipes I can make in MA. I’ll definitely be looking for a local Mexican grocery store!
Sandra Noel
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hartwood is as much a work of art as a cookbook. From the cover, all through the pages (about 300 of them!) the absolutely gorgeous photography draws you in. This is a book you can enjoy just curling up in a comfy chair and immerse yourself in. At some point, however, you want to start cooking. That is a little harder. Many ingredients are used that if you don't have access to a well-stocked Latin American grocery could be a little harder to find, and there are no substitutions given. That said, ...more
Alli
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, books-i-own
I know it seems weird to review cookbooks, but there's enough "writing" in here that I think it counts.

What I loved: the overview of local ingredients and the culinary mindset in the Yucatan, the drink and dessert recipes (most were a combination of sweet, spicy and fruity, which I love), the tips on cooking with wood fires.

What I didn't: most of the recipes are way too complicated for the average home cook (relying on elaborate, multi-day prep periods and/or unique ingredients that even our l
Renee
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most inspirational cookbooks I've read in ages.

I have plenty of Mexican cookbooks, but this is nothing like any of them. They are restaurant recipes yet they are simple. The focus is on seafood, and most of the dishes have a lightness to them. Even if you weren't going to cook from this, it's worth reading for the philosophy and the beautiful photography.

I was especially impressed by the comprehensive pickling chapter, the selection of ceviche recipes, and the entire dessert chapter (
Meredith
This is a beautiful book, oversize and full of matte pages of turquoise water and chartreuse greenery and fruit of all the colors, roasted and smoked and grilled to golden perfection. I found very little to relate to. There's no way I'm going to attempt to recreate any of these recipes, because they list ingredients there's no way I'll find here (and also I don't have a giant wood stove to hand, or several Mayans to pound the masa), but it was a lovely little vacation to peruse.
A.B.
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked it- not for its recipes, but for its celebration of a people and a place, and the way NY transplants can ethically carve a niche. The photographs are breathtaking.
Alyssa
Feb 14, 2019
Jess
Dec 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
  • How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain
  • Turtle Moon
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2016 edition
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part One - Surprised by Spain
  • Perfect Little World
  • Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse (Wastelands #1)
  • Planet of the Damned
  • A New Keeper (The Secret Library, #1)
  • Make Room! Make Room!
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Beyond the Door
  • Scary Stories Treasury
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
  • The Misplaced Battleship