Start by marking “A Wilder Life: A Season-by-Season Guide to Experiencing the Great Outdoors” as Want to Read:
A Wilder Life: A Season-by-Season Guide to Experiencing the Great Outdoors

A Wilder Life: A Season-by-Season Guide to Experiencing the Great Outdoors

Published January 26th 2016 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about A Wilder Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wilder Life

Start your review of A Wilder Life: A Season-by-Season Guide to Experiencing the Great Outdoors
Cheri
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction

2.5 Stars

“A Wilder Life: A Season-by-Season Guide to Getting in Touch with Nature” is broken down into Four Seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Each Season is broken down into section: Growing, Cooking, Home & Self Reliance, Beauty & Healing, and Wilderness

In these sections, “Growing” typically has six mini sections, usually one page each including “A Seasonal Growing Checklist,” 1st Plant Profile (1 plant per season), 2nd Plant Profile (2nd plant per season), in Spring, the example for next o
Juli Anna
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Wow, this was a strange one! First off, GORGEOUS pictures. Both the photography and the watercolor illustrations are remarkable. Even the Photoshop nonsense is pretty. However, what a useless book! First off, I hope no one is actually taking survivalist advice from this, as they would end up severely lost and/or dying of Giardia in a jiffy (filter water for drinking through your t-shirt? are you kidding?!). Second, while some of the projects seem doable and fun (blending perfume oil or making ko ...more
Mairead
Beautiful photos and inspiring ideas. Loved the ingredients to inspire spread for each season, especially the illustrations. Just seemed like by covering so much, not enough details? Really tough balance to nail, I'll admit--enjoyed the ideas behind this book a lot despite that.
Erica Hopper
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2019
This is a pleasurable read that I will reference in future seasons. With a focus on all four seasons and tips and details on growing your own gardens including flowers and produce, as well as tips for harvest and plant growth, I know this will come in handy as a simple starting guide when we eventually settle where we are able to have more control on a garden than we've had at our current living situation.

The book is also quite lovely, the imagery sweet, and the artwork enjoyable. It's nothing g
kleinerpanda_
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ein großartiger Natur-Guide für alle Jahreszeiten. Das Buch beinhaltet viele Tips für Garten und Haushalt, DIY Ideen, Pflanzen, Wissenswertes rund um die Natur, Rezepte, und viel viel mehr. Dazu kommen viele noch wunderschöne Fotos. Das Buch ist mir eine tolle Inspiration und motiviert mich sehr. Habe unendlich viele Post-Its verteilt und freue mich schon darauf alles nächstes Jahr (denn dann habe ich einen eigenen Garten) auszuprobieren und umzusetzen. Werde das Buch definitiv im Winter wieder ...more
Heather
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very beautiful book, but it is really quite silly. Anyone who could or would actually follow the seasons in the way described knows far more about chickens and livestock and beekeeping than the author to be sure. If you are buying this for the coffee table in your brooklyn apartment as an inspirational dream book, great. If you are in search of anything bordering on realistic or practical homesteading advice, look elsewhere.
Ellie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Stylistically, with its full page photos and soft lighting, this book is stunning. However, the content is pretty "off the grid" for my lifestyle. There's really no need for me to make medicinal tinctures or know how to pick wild mushrooms. I would say it's worth skimming through on a lazy winter afternoon if you are dreaming of beautiful summer days.
Trish
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
This book is nice if want want natural ways to garden.
Jenelle
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Didnt glean much from it. Wouldn't buy the book.
Colleen
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Heavy on dreamy photos, light on truly useful information.
Kate Sparkman
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
beautiful
not immensely practical as it's content is very selective
Lynda
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A lovely, relaxing book with thick, textured pages that add to the reader’s enjoyment. This was a motivating read that inspires me to use nature’s gifts more thoughtfully.
Kristy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Peaceful, lovely, and pretty book.
Emily Torem
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love this book! I've learned SO much and had to stop myself from starting several new crafts projects all at once. Perfect for any nature lover or city person trying to better understand the environment around them. Absolutely recommend. Photos are gorgeous.
Quietgirl255
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it

A beautiful coffee table book full of inspiration for natural living. The book is full of seasonal beauty. Divided into sections covering the seasons with "projects" appropriate to the time of year. For example in Spring we are going to learn to grow things from seeds, understand cheese, make elderberry champagne, and get started on beekeeping. In Fall we are going to make pumpkin butter, set up an at home herbalist pharmacy, and understand the secrets of fall's changing leaves.

It bounds with e
Cyndi
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is another of those books with lovely photos that is long on inspiration, but short on actual content. In other words, you'd probably want to consult additional source before taking on many of the projects. Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, I'd suggest a quick flip through before buying this book...
Sami
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn't exactly what I was expecting but enjoyed it just the same. It is one that I am likely to check a physical copy out from the library to study more in depth. Has some great recipes, simple seasonal DIY projects and relevant and informative seasonal checklists. Simple easy to read layout. I recommend to anyone who is working toward a lifestyle that is guided more by the seasons.
Tanya
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book from the local library and was very excited when it came in. I love the quality of the cover. It's textured paper sets the tone for the beautiful photographs that await for the reader inside its fold. Very informational and entertaining read.
Tina
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful photography and incredibly informative resource for how to utilize nature for sustainable living. Parceled into seasons by four topics that relate to natural living: growing, cooking, home & self-reliance, beauty & healing. ...more
Josie
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed
Nice but not enough. Introduction to some good ideas, but not useful amounts of information. Good pictures to skim through, though. Meh.
KC
A book worthy enough for my nature loving daughter. Thank you NetGalley for the advanced digital copy.
Beth
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Home making, gardening, herbal, this kind of book is like hot chocolate on a cold winters night to me. there is something satisfying in it.
Estela
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lost of fun information and love they way it's separated into seasons.
Angela Snyder rowan
It's a beautiful book. Design and layout are great. Gardening, cooking, and craft information is rudimentary, however. Good for "indoor kids" who want to meet the outdoors for the first time.
Esther
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has beautiful photos, and inspiring ideas; but wasn't informative enough.
Keishua
rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• This Side of Paradise
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • The Glass Republic (The Skyscraper Throne, #2)
  • Revolution
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • The Gentle Parenting Book: How to raise calmer, happier children from birth to seven
  • Ashley Bell (Ashley Bell, #1)
  • The Story of the British Isles in 100 Places