Start by marking “Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine” as Want to Read:

A new kind of flavor-first vegan cooking. . . . Stunning.
Food & Wine

Best Food Books of 2015
USA Today

Reinventing plant-based eating is what Tal Ronnen is all about. At his Los Angeles restaurant, Crossroads, the menu is vegan, but there are no soybeans or bland seitan to be found. He and his executive chef, Scot Jones, turn seasonal vegetables, beans, nuts, and grains into sophisti/>USA“Best/>Food“A
Published October 6th 2015 by Artisan

Start your review of Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
lisa
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this through a giveaway listed by the publisher on Shelf Awareness. I have never gotten a ARC cookbook, and am so excited, especially when I saw it was already endorsed by one of my foodie heroes, Roy Choi! I am not vegan anymore, and my husband usually flatly refuses to eat anything made from vegan recipes, (unless I cheat and add meat, or cheese) but as I was flipping through this I found the recipe for Leek Pate. I noticed some yummy-looking leeks at the farmer's market last week, ...more
LibraryDanielle
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was a really nice cookbook. The pictures were gorgeous, the recipes beautiful, and the format pleasing. It's a vegan cookbook, which I didn't realize at first (I just dive into cookbooks reading whichever recipe catches my fancy before reading through), and you don't miss the non-vegan aspect at all. I docked a star because most of the recipes are finicky and/or have a ridiculous amount of steps. There were so many recipes that looked good, but I would never make just because it took two pa ...more
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook has few recipes that I'd actually attempt. Most have spices and ingredients that I'd have to order online, and produce that is not carried in any nearby grocery stores. It's too bad, because they've done a great job with the food photography, it got me really excited to make these, and then very disappointed that I can't. I think there are maybe 4 recipes in here that I'll actually try. So glad I got this from the library instead of shelling out cash for it...
Heather
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wanted to loooove this cookbook! It sounded so good. I loved the concept. The photography was beautiful! The recipes look like what I'd love to eat in a restaurant. The trouble is I don't want to cook them at home. There are too many ingredients, too many tools, too many steps. I just don't have the patience for this kind of cooking. That's why I eat out! I would recommend this to people who don't mind putting effort into dinner! So I'd probably put it at about 3.5 stars.
Aja Marsh
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan, cookbooks
Everything looks pretty fancy but the recipes and instructions are very approachable. Nice appetizing photos, and always fun to see "high end" vegan food!
Bernadette
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having enjoyed Tal Ronnen's recipes from his previous book, THE CONSCIOUS COOK, and from the Gardein website, using their products in crafting delicious meals, I was looking forward to this new book, and it more than met my expectations.
Quoting from the book, CROSSROADS features "...all the foods we crave - Mediterranean flatbreads, hearty pastas, creative vegetable dishes, and decadent desserts - just as delicious without the dairy or meat." Very apt description. Written with his restaurant pa
Virginia Campbell
Noted chef, restaurateur, and cookbook author Tal Ronnen states: "As a lover of food, I realized it wasn't the animal products I actually longed for, but the texture, the flavor, the heartiness, and the satisfaction I feel when I indulge in a favorite food." His focus is to not take vegan foods and recreate them into copycats of non-vegan fare, but to let them have their own moment in the spotlight by making the most of their inherent goodness. I very much agree with his food philosophy. I am no ...more
Deanna
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this from netgalley for review.

This cookbook is a true gem. It is not only a cookbook, but a primer of all the secret methods that professional chefs use to create great food. For instance, I don't hate the taste of okra, just the slimy texture, so I never cook with it. Tal Ronnen gave a simple method for making okra without it turning to slime. Just core the center of the membranes that cause the slimy feel. It worked and I am ready to cook with Cajun and Creole dishes ag
Cynthia Corral
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Holy Cannoli, I've just gone through this gorgeous book and I cannot wait to start cooking. My mouth is watering as I write this. I've finished the book, but I want to try a few recipes before I submit an official review.

Be back soon!!! (After I gain a few pounds)

Later...

I've had a difficult time with this review, not because I didn't like the book but because every time I return to
Christine
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I received an ecopy from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Oh wow, this was a gorgeous book. The photographs were inviting and colourful. I always appreciate a cookbook with great photos, especially when one may not be familiar with how the dish (or the ingredients) should look. Everything looked appetizing, I'm hungry just thinking about the pasta chapter...

I especially appreciated the "Basics" section. There are a few items like Cashew Cream and Walnut Parmesan that wo
Sandra Lassiter
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am not a vegan, but this is a gorgeous cookbook!! I would feel very comfortable cooking for a vegan using these recipes, and many I would enjoy on my own. Bloomsdale Salad with Black Garlic Vinaigrette, beautiful breads, Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms with Shallots and Toasted Almonds (oh, my!), Summer Berry Galette...where do you begin?!

There are gorgeous pasta recipes which are great cooked according to the recipe, but can be made for meat lovers by switching out ingredients such as a regular s
Peacegal
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Tal Ronnen's cookbooks are beautiful and elegant. They are a joy to page through. They are also, in my view, completely unrealistic to the situation of most everyday readers.

On one hand, it's great to show people that vegan cuisine can easily encompass fine, gourmet dining. That plant-based eating can accommodate all palates and expectations. I hope that maybe some of our local chefs and caterers will pick up this book and be inspired.

On the other, there's a whole country outside the major met
Allie
This rating/review is based on an ARC from the publisher. MEGA BIG thanks to them for it. It's in color too!!

This cookbook looks really really impressive. I never know where to start with vegan Mediterranean food. This cookbook is definitely more complicated than the recipes I usually use, but I could definitely simplify some of them. And these recipes are totally perfect if I were ever to entertain. As usual though, I'll refrain from an actual star rating until I've made some of the recipes
Lilah
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Reviewing the recipes in this book made me want to visit the restaurant. This cookbook offers a variety of vegan recipes served at the author’s restaurant. I can tell by looking at the recipes I would not miss the meat when eating here. The instructions for each recipe are very detailed. Most of the recipes are not for your “everyday, home cook” but are better suited for a chef or someone with more cooking experience.
Max Taylor
Incredible cookbook with some fascinating recipes. I con't wait to try the vegan pasta dishes - and this is the book that finally has be ready to pull the trigger on the Vitamix blender that I've been eyeing since becoming vegan. This is one of those cookbooks that you read for the concepts and style more than the actual recipes. I haven't had this much fun reading a cookbook cover to cover since Blumenthal's Fat Duck.
Critterbee❇
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, cookbook
'Crossroads' by Tal Ronnen is a wonderful new vegan cookbook with ambitious, restaurant quality dishes without insipid ingredients.

So many vegan cookbooks focus on the healthy aspects of vegan cooking; Tonnen focuses on taste and texture. Full of mouthwatering photographs and high-level recipes that demand to be attempted. 'Crossroads' also inspires everyone to open their minds to trying new ways of vegan cooking, and maybe to invent a few dishes of their own.

**eARC netga
Liz Simmons
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book makes me really want to go to this restaurant if and when I'm ever in LA. The food sounds amazing, especially all the vegan homemade pasta dishes. It's the kind of cookbook where everything is either really complicated or really simple, so I don't plan to make anything from it. But it made me interested in seeking out this restaurant, so I guess that might be the point of it. Beautiful color pictures for every recipe.
Eileen Hall
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don't read this book on an empty stomach whatever your food preferences are!
The recipes sound scrumptious and the photographs are sublime.
Plants never tasted so good.
I will be trying some recipes out immediately!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Artisan Books via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Patrycja
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have uncorrected proof of this book. It is more for advance cooks, since there are many fancy recipes that call for more exotic ingredients. They all sound delicious, but it will be actually hard to cook it. Also the recipes are not for a quick dish. You really need time and all the right ingredients to create all those dishes. But I am sure it will be worth it.
Deborah
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some great new ideas for vegan meals, flavor combinations I never would have thought of, and mostly recipes that are simple enough, though a few are more complex than I usually feel up to attempting.
Sandy
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing photography. I can't wait to cook from this book. I'm always looking for more whole food, plant based recipes and this had so many I want to try.
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and inspiring-- makes me consider vegan food in a whole new way. I took so many notes as I flipped through the recipes.
False
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-drink
Gourmet vegan. Way too much to take on for daily meals, but fascinating how you can force and alter flavors to meet the needs of non-meat eaters. Where the chi chi eat kim chi.
Winnie Grover
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. And a very refreshing change from just soy and almond milk in the name of vegan food.
Nina adams
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing ideas for more delicious vegan cooking!
Michelle
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Another very pretty book that I will never make a recipe from.
Catie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Got to give a shout out to two Akronites that have gone on to do delicious things!
Kareemah
Are you ever really finished with a cook book?
Not sure if I'll buy this one but it is in contention.
Nadia
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another lovely cookbook!
Terryann
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
tons of great recipes! i love the gourmet stuff and the tips on homemade noodles rule!

• The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face
  • The New Sugar & Spice: A Recipe for Bolder Baking
  • Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [a Cookbook]
  • Spiced: Unlock the Power of Spices to Transform Your Cooking
  • 100% Real: 100 Insanely Good Recipes for Clean Food Made Fresh
  • Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics
  • Show Up for Salad: 100 More Recipes for Salads, Dressings, and All the Fixins You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • The Kripalu Kitchen: Nourishing Food for Body and Soul: A Cookbook
  • The Edgy Veg: 138 Carnivore-Approved Vegan Recipes
  • Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook
  • Vegan 100: Over 100 Incredible Recipes from Avant-Garde Vegan
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • The Core 4: Embrace Your Body, Own Your Power
  • To Eat: A Country Life
  • The Beetlebung Farm Cookbook: A Year of Cooking on Martha's Vineyard
  • Platters and Boards: Beautiful, Casual Spreads for Every Occasion (Appetizer Cookbooks, Dinner Party Planning Books, Food Presentation Books)
Tal Ronnen, founder and chef of Crossroads Kitchen in Los Angeles and author of the New York Times bestseller The Conscious Cook, became known nationwide as the chef who prepared the meals for Oprah Winfrey’s 21-day vegan cleanse. He has made his culinary mark at a number of high-profile events, having catered Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi’s wedding, Arianna Huffington’s party at the Democra ...more