Start by marking “Parenting Is Easy: You're Probably Just Doing It Wrong” as Want to Read:
Parenting Is Easy: You're Probably Just Doing It Wrong

Parenting Is Easy: You're Probably Just Doing It Wrong

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Imagine a world where pregnant women are always upbeat and glowing, newborns sleep on cue, toddlers love to have their teeth brushed, and teenagers gaze adoringly at their parents. Impossible, you say? Not according to advertisers who flood the web with stock photos of perfect parents and children. They’d have you believe that parenting is a piece of cake, and every signif ...more
Published October 6th 2015 by Workman Publishing Company (first published September 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting Is Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting Is Easy

Diana
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Purchased this book on a whim while on a babymoon with my husband. It nearly made me pee my pants (which I know isn't exactly difficult while pregnant, but the sentiment is there). Just a reminder for myself not to take the perfectionism of parenting too seriously.
Ietrio
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
This is one of those supposedly funny power points with stock photos that used to spam your email a decade ago. I missed the humor. But I guess this is targeted at masochistic christians who discover that parenthood was a scam, but still want to feel superior.
Bridget Berthold
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I literally laughed out loud, many times
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hillarious! I loved all the "white couch feeding"
Kara Johnson
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun little book, laughed at many of the entries!!
Sondra
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read if you need a laugh
Chani
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This was hysterical. I never realized how much white and beige is used in advertising.
Monique
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always looked at these pictures in media and laughed at how that would never happen, so great to see it in print that someone thought the same thing.
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Yes, most of these ridiculous stock photos of families, with their sarcastic captions highlighting the insane premise of each photo, are on the website. Still hilarious.
Regina
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Hilarious.
Wayne McCoy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
'Parenting is Easy: You're Probably Just Doing It Wrong' by Sarah Given, is a satirical poke at the world of stock photos that show up in places like parenting magazines and ads.

Imagine a colorless (or muted pastel) world of white couches and happy children. Where children are obediently quiet and houses are clean and meals are balanced and healthy. This is the world that we see in magazines and we wonder what is wrong with us. Sarah Given decided to poke fun of it by captioning these photos on
Trish
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a funny book about parenting. It will have you laughing out loud.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"Parenting is Easy: You're Probably Just Doing It Wrong" is a hilarious collection of satiric riffs on the parenting bibles that all of us parents are so familiar with. If I have figured nothing else in a year of parenthood, it is that there is no manual and everything in those parenting books may or may not help you. This book makes fun of all of that! It is hilarious and I will go back to it over and over again whenever I'm not sure if I'm doing this whole parenting thing right. This would be ...more
Molly
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
In this book version of the popular Tumblr blog, "It's Like They Know Us," the blog's creator, Sara Given shares stock photos of pregnancy, parenting and family that show people in an idealized world where things are always clean and everyone is happy paired with witty and often sarcastic captions she wrote that pokes fun at them. It is a quick and very funny read that will surely be a hoot for any person who has parented or taken care of young children. I have followed the blog for years and it ...more
Katie
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Creator of the tumblr page It's Like They Know Us, Sarah has created a hilarious book simply by captioning stock photos in a manner that exposes just how ridiculous they are. We sat down together & laughed our way through this. While anyone can enjoy this, parents definitely need to pick this up. Guaranteed to make you laugh out loud at least once.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who has had children should read this for a nice chuckle. It's one of those you are constantly grabbing your spouse to say "read this page- it's us!" It is a fast and great read from the author of "It's Like They Know Us" blogs.

P.S. The author's name is "Sara." It says "Sarah" on this page.
Eliza
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Quick and funny enough! I, also, found funny the fact that even if the writer has a slight obsession with white couches and white clothes at the pictures, her family photo is on a white couch wearing white clothes, ironically! :)
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick humorous read! As a parent living in a social networking driven society it's easy to start comparing to others and feel like shit. Stop it. Parenting is a lifelong experience with never ending lessons. Make mistakes, learn, love, and keep it moving.
Anjula
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shortest book ever. But hilarious. "White couch life"!
Marjorie Silvestrini
Silly, funny pocket book. I had some laughs.
Jen Petro-Roy
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious and spot-on.
Constance
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Humorous, easy, quick read.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS

Pop Sugar’s 2015 Reading Challenge - A book you can finish in a day
Samantha
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a new Mom I found this hilarious and relatable. It's nice to laugh at something that can be so challenging. A quick read, I recommend it for some laughs.
Becky
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hahahaha. This book took about 20 minutes to read, but still.
Molly
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. A quick read, but tons of laughs for parents (actually my son also thought it was hysterical).
Diana
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, parenting
Not sure I really got the concept but it was amusing enough and a super quick read.
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kind of funny. Basically just a collection of internet memes. I'm glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying it.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Awesome! Some of my favorites from the Tumblr are included, and while there is a lot more on Tumblr, it's fun to have an actual physical copy as a conversation piece or bathroom reading, etc.
Jessica
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another blog-turned-book. Even so, it was really funny and a laughed a great deal through the whole thing. Especially concerning going to the white couch to feed small children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »