Start by marking “Secrets in the Sky” as Want to Read:
Secrets in the Sky

Secrets in the Sky

How far should you go to keep a secret?
No-one ever accused Sophie Campbell of being a coward. From caving trips to rooftop pranks, it appeared nothing could hold her back, especially once she landed a dream job promising travel all over the world.

But Sophie’s jet-setting lifestyle is not what it seems and she’s been spending more time in the quiet English village of Saffro
Published February 26th 2015 by Pauline Wiles

To ask other readers questions about Secrets in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets in the Sky

Jacqueline
Apr 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dear me. This is what happens when I try to find a nice, easy, undemanding read to lose myself in while accompanying my mum to her hospital appointment, a place where there's no wifi and so no way of downloading an alternative once I realised I'd chosen a dud.

Six hours we were there, with only this tosh to keep me sane. It was supposed to offer me an escape, but instead it aggravated me. Zero chemistry, daft decisions and improbable situations. And as if that wasn't bad enough, there was no smu
Julie Valerie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yet again, Pauline Wiles has delivered a novel with warm characters in a delightful setting. In a story that begins two years before Pauline's debut novel, Saving Saffron Sweeting, this stand-alone romantic comedy is a showcase of romance, secrets and lies, bravery and courage. For me, the biggest takeaway is the importance of facing your phobias before they wrap around you, smothering your judgment and clouding your world.

I suspect many reviews of this book will focus on the energy between the
Shiraloo
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
**I received an ARC from LibraryThing as part of their Members Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review.**

I rated this one 4.5 stars out of 5.

Women’s fiction, affectionately known as “Chick Lit,” often gets a bad wrap. Sure, chick lit novels sometimes aren’t as wordy or ironic as what’s passing for literature these days, but these books are no less fulfilling, emotional, and beautiful reads. Sometimes you need a book with a bubbly protagonist whose own emotional life issues mirror your
Meredith Schorr
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I became a fan of Pauline Wiles after reading Saving Saffron Sweeting. The author wrote that book with such charm and humor and continued the trend with Secrets in the Sky. Secrets in the Sky takes place two years before Saving Saffron Sweeting and is about Sophie Campbell, a young woman who has been keeping a secret, several secrets actually, and basically living a lie. For reasons kept from the reader throughout most the book, Sophie will do basically anything to protect the secret even if it ...more
Joan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First person present tense.

I really struggled with this for the first five or six chapters. Sophie was pleasant enough but I wasn't really sure what she needed out of life. I was tempted to dnf at Chapter 5, but I read on and it was worth it in the end.
Yvonne Mendez
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In a tarot reading, getting the Death card is not as bad as it seems. It means change, it is telling the person that one aspect of the their life is coming to an end and a new one will begin.

And for Sophie Campbell, that is exactly what happens when her Aunt Wol dies, forcing her to confront her secrets, especially when people from the past and her own mother constantly show up to disrupt the protected life she had under Aunt Wol's roof in the village of Saffron Sweeting.

Sophie's big secret may
MB (What she read)
I have absolutely no respect for this woman. Her weakness and stupidity totally ruined this book for me.

I already struggle with books where the heroines are such silly spineless idiots. I don't understand Sophie's reasoning or mental ability in choosing to live a life of lies for such stupid and inadequate reasons. I really don't enjoy being inside the head of people who are so mentally messed up. Grow up girl, and get a spine and a brain reset!

If I hadn't already enjoyed another book (Saving Sa
Nicole Hughes-Chen
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wiles has written this book like a pro. I cannot believe this is only her second novel; she writes like she has been doing this for decades.

Firstly I have to acknowledge the brilliant grammar and punctuation which is absolutely flawless in this book, well done Wiles.

The story is set in a little village where everyone knows everyone, and follows the journey of a woman as she deals with loss, phobias, love and difficult family relationships. With so much going on the story is well arranged and tol
Tracey Gemmell
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anglophile
Feeling frazzled? Head for Saffron Sweeting! This fictional English village, created by the talented Pauline Wiles, will have you soaking in the bathtub long after the bubbles have disappeared.

As a British expat living in the US, I enjoyed Ms. Wiles’ first novel, Saving Saffron Sweeting, in part a humourous rendition of cultural differences between the US and UK. I wondered if I would enjoy Secrets in the Sky as much. Guess what? I did.

Secrets in the Sky visits Saffron Sweeting again through ne
Angie Hackett
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really grew to love this book. The setting was beautiful and the characters were interesting.

I initially had trouble because of the complexity of the sub plot but I carried on. I did think the main character was a bit daft for her decisions but I did kind of understand her motivation for what she was doing.

In the end I had a near happy tear in my eye as I finished this book. It was definitely good and worth the read.
Kamylyon
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a carbon copy!

Lovely story of familial love, loss and secrets kept too long.
Sophie's mother, in fact the entire village, thinks that she's an air hostess. What happens when she admits her fear of flying, and the fact that she isn't is all part of the magic going on in this delightful tale.

Just an aside, it's 'wracking my brain', not 'racking'. One means searching, the other is a place to put things.
Sandra Kent
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romantic story

A good story about relationships, secrets, fears, and lies to protect it all. The only thing I didn't like was the weakness of the main character. How could she allow herself to be so manipulated? I love when she finally stepped up. Would like to read the next one in the series.
Sally Stackhouse
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in a small English village near to Cambridge this is a well written story.

Sophie has secrets and when her great aunt dies and leaves her some money she struggles to keep up her deceit but she just becomes more and more embroiled in it until things comes to a head.

Good characters, lovely dialogue, well paced and a good read.
Maria
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Oh so funny

This is the first time I've given a 5-star rating to a contemporary romance. I'm not a prude but they seem to follow a pretty predictable smutty path or they're so corny that I roll my eyes. But I loved this book. I loved the witty dialogue and the way Sophie observes the world. Made me laugh out loud at work!
Candice Allen
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story

This is a cute story about how you can fall into a trap when you start lying and the crazy process to get yourself back to the truth. Sophie was a likable character. And you can't help but fall in love with Tom.
Bec Raymond
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A lovely novel, an easy read but still desciptive enough to let you disappear into the World of Saffron Sweeting.
Makes you question why we think we want others to see our lives as better than they are and beoming caught in our comfort zones.
Sanika
Apr 28, 2018 added it
It started with the snail pace... I lost my patience after reading upto 16%...The only salvation was that I downloaded the e-book from amazon free of cost.
Melissa
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute romantic novel

I did enjoy this book. I love a good romantic novel. If you enjoy flying or are scared read this book.
Sandy Barker
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read, a likable protagonist and love interest.
Cakki
Mar 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finished
70 pages, out of 325, and I was done. Terrible book, awful characters. Blah!
Pria
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although the story line is a bit feeble the characters are great.
Hannah P
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book! I got frustrated with the main character's lack of ability to stand up for herself
Arielle Deltoro
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog www.livinglifewithjoy.com

Why I Read This Book: I signed up to participate in the blog tour for Secrets in the Sky through Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours because the story sounded interesting and entertaining.

My Review:

The novel begins with a young woman named Sophie mourning the loss of her beloved Great-Aunt Wol. After Wol dies, Sophie’s life seems to spiral out of control. She’s been living her life in the shadow of a big secret and it’s quickly catching up to h
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Sophie Campbell is coping with the death of her beloved Aunt Wol, a retired schoolteacher, with whom she lived. Upon her aunt's death, she is informed by Wol's solicitor that she has been left quite a tidy sum, around 30,000 pounds. But the home she has always known doesn't belong to Wol, and she needs to find another place to live.

Moving in with her best friend from school, Bella, Sophie needs to share the lie everyone thinks is the truth: that she is an air hostess and travels around the world
Kathryn Laceby
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

Secrets in the Sky was a surprise read for me. I wasn’t initially sure what to expect because I didn’t immediately understand the thought process behind the actions of some of the characters. They seemed to be behaving oddly- which makes sense now as many of them are harbouring some secrets from each other. However, I was immediately on Sophie’s side for no other good reason than that I liked her from the get-go. Something about her earnestness made me want he
Teresa
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of Secrets in the Sky by Pauline Wiles for a honest review.

I really enjoyed this book I couldn't put it down.
The story takes place in the small village of Saffron Sweeting, where the main character Sophie Campbell lives with her Aunt Wol until Wol passed away and puts a huge kink into Sophie's life. You see Sophie is living a huge lie. Everyone thinks she is a Air Hostess (stewardess), but in actuallity she is terrified of flying. The reason she is lying is to cover a huge se
Annabel Krantz
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Secrets in the Sky had a lot going on. Family death, unexpected inheritance, at least two family secrets, some blackmail, old friends, a phobia, romantic misunderstandings and gossipy neighbours. That said, Wiles combined all of these elements to make a great chick lit read.

Sophie was a layered, complex character who’s life was really in a bit of a mess. Thanks to reconnecting with Bella, an old friend, she starts getting help with her crippling fear of flying – a great idea, seeing as everyone
Sultry Steamy Reading
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I received a copy of this book from CLP Blog Tours in exchange for an honest review and as part of the book's blog tour promotions.

I don't always go for chick lit because I like my romance novels raw and dirty. However, every now and then, I find that I have a craving for clean romance, a bit of a comedy, and a story that's not always about sex or angst or abuse. Secrets In The Sky is a book that will entertain you well without breaking your heart to pieces. Sure, there are sad scenes in the boo
April Harris
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having enjoyed Pauline Wiles' first novel, Saving Saffron Sweeting, I was keen to return to the wonderful fictional British village of Saffron Sweting. Secrets in the Sky takes place a couple of years before the first book. The protagonist, Sophie, has a secret or two and when her Great Aunt Wol dies it seems like there are so many changes in her life that they are bound to be exposed. Sophie has to make peace with her past, confront her fears and juggle the attentions of an old flame as well as ...more
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won Secrets in the Sky: A Saffron Sweeting Novel by Pauline Wiles from Goodreads.

Pauline Wiles' novel, Secrets in the Sky, is about how keeping secrets leads to lies and then, eventually, to chaos. Sophie Campbell has been keeping a big secret for a long time to protect both her sister and herself, but keeping that secret has become more complicated now that her Aunt Wol has died. Unfortunately, Sophie's solution to her dilemma only complicates things further. She has decided to tackle one par
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Nun Walks Into A Bar (Nun-Fiction #1)
  • No Sex Please, I'm Menopausal!
  • To Hell in a Coach Bag (The Devilish Divas Series, Book 1)
  • The Big Dreams Beach Hotel
  • Not Your Match (No Match for Love, #2)
  • Escape for the Summer (Escape Series, #1)
  • As Good As It Gets?
  • The Reinvention of Mimi Finnegan (The Mimi Chronicles, #1)
  • Claiming Victory (The Darthmouth Diaries #1)
  • The Highland Clans
  • Second-Hand Jane
  • Coffee, Tea or Me
  • Double Black Diamond (Mercy Watts Mysteries, #3)
  • Freya 800 AD
  • The Bitches of Brooklyn
  • Pharos: A Ghost Story
  • A Year at Meadowbrook Manor
  • Fuzzy Logic (An Alpine Grove Romantic Comedy Book 2)
British by birth, Pauline is now a contented resident of California, although she admits to occasional yearnings for afternoon tea and historic homes.

Her debut novel, Saving Saffron Sweeting, reached the quarter final of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and was a number one Kindle Best Seller. The stand-alone prequel, Secrets in the Sky, was reviewed by Publishers Weekly as ‘an enticing read’.