Start by marking “Destiny's Gambit (The Voyages of Jake Flynn Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Destiny's Gambit (The Voyages of Jake Flynn Book 1)

Destiny's Gambit

(The Voyages of Jake Flynn #1)

In this character driven sword and space series, a boy searching for his long-missing parents is transported by flying tallship to the other side of the galaxy where he finds himself in the center of a conflict between good and evil.

Twelve-year-old Jake Flynn’s parents disappeared when he was a baby. On his twelfth birthday the mystery of why his parent’s disappeared begi
Published January 24th 2015 by HeroicTales.com

To ask other readers questions about Destiny's Gambit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destiny's Gambit

Jasmine
***Actual Rating: 4/5 Adventurous Stars***

All right, to begin with, Destiny’s Gambit (The Voyages of Jake Flynn #1) is probably the second middle grade story I’ve read after binge reading the entire Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House) series when I was young. Seriously, I’m not exaggerating at all; I didn’t make reading a habit until a few years ago so anything other than young adult novels is pretty new to me. Nevertheless, I’m still going to try writing a short review for this book.

Appa
Stacy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though this book is geared toward the middle school age set, I enjoyed it a lot myself. It reminded me a bit of "The Chronicles of Narnia", but in outer space and with pirates. It was a mix of fantasy with steampunk, and I look forward to getting more into the series to see where it goes. I felt it had a good pace, plot with just the right amount of action and would capture the imaginations of children. I liked Jake, and the cast of characters as well as the many adventures they found thems ...more
Yesha
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** Note: I received review copy of this book as a part of blitz tour organized by Lola’s Blog Tours. Many thanks to author and Lola for giving me a chance to read the book. ***

-4.5 Stars-

Destiny’s Gambit is science-fiction fantasy steampunk novel that take place in outer space. It’s a story about 12-year-old Jake who was searching for answers about his parents who disappeared when he was too young. The story is about good vs bad, friendship, growing up and taking responsibility, accepting desti
Siobhan
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Destiny’s Gambit is the first book in R.J. Wood’s The Voyages of Jake Flynn series, and it’s an enjoyable quick read.

In truth, my rating is more of a three-point-five-star rating rather than the three-star rating I gave it. The rounding down is a reflection of my reading mood as of late, where I’m enjoying things yet nothing seems to be blowing my mind in the way I had hoped. I’m sure many will enjoy this much more than my weird reading mood allowed me to.

Destiny’s Gambit is a fun science fictio
Patricia Hamill
Destiny’s Gambit is an exciting tale featuring an eclectic blend of old fashioned pirate ships, space travel and magic. In it, a young boy struggles to find his lost parents all the while learning of a fate he’d never expected.

I thought this was a rather well done and unique story. The idea of space ships being literal seafaring ships encased in bubbles of air caught my imagination. Jake’s abilities and that of his new companions were equally intriguing. I particularly enjoyed the riddles and pu
Tonja Drecker
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting space adventure with a huge twist of pirate ships and seafaring adventure. . .just in space.

Jake's parents disappeared when he was a baby, leaving him to grow up under the care of his grandmother and somewhat strict uncle. On his twelfth birthday, he discovers a talisman with a note from his father. Determined to find his parents, he heads off into space with a ship and must face all sorts of adventures, dangers and excitement on his quest.

This is an delicious mixture of spac
Mandy Peterson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked "Destiny's Gambit". While I thought the details were bogging down the reading at first, it came in handy later to keep the action fast paced. So, it was a worthwhile trade off. The characters are fantastic and fun to read. The plot is solid and keeps with familiar beats while managing to feel fresh. The writing itself was accessible without being over-simplified. It didn't feel like the author was dragging anything out for page count - which I sincerely appreciate. So, if you li ...more
Hywela
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a little difficult to categorise this very original and gripping story. It's part Science Fiction Adventure, part Fantasy and has a very Steampunk feel as well. The protgonist is a twelve year old boy so I guess it's intended for older children and young adults. Anyway, as a 'much older' adult I enjoyed it very much although the occasional incident of 'telling' rather than 'showing' and the odd 'headhop' drew me out of the story at times, but not enough to spoil what is actually a 'rattling ...more
Julie U.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I edited 'Destiny's Gambit,' a middle-grade book for R. J. Wood and had a great time in the process. I loved the idea of a boy discovering his ship, his own nature, and a circle of good friends. Vocabulary grew organically from a nautical theme and the universe he created offers surprises yet gives homage to a few classic fantasies. Expect R. J. Wood's next book in the Jake Flynn series, 'Beyond the Moon,' within a few months.
Jonelle
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
A very imaginative YA read. It's part 'Fellowship of the Ring', part 'Return of the Jedi' and part "Pirate's of the Caribbean'. While the nautical terms are thick at first, I found that by the end I could really imagine myself immersed in ship-life. I look forward to finding out what awaits Jake, Jhen, Starla and the rest of the crew on Destiny's Gambit.
Victor Luera
May 02, 2017
Jason Herres
May 20, 2016
Denise Higgins
Jun 29, 2018
R.J. Wood
Feb 26, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Bryan
Stephanie
Mary Cloud
Kittykitty
Feb 11, 2018

The Voyages of Jake Flynn (2 books)
  • Beyond The Moon (The Voyages of Jake Flynn, #2)