Start by marking “Bird Box” as Want to Read:
Bird Box

Bird Box

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  59,645 Ratings  ·  9,035 Reviews
Josh Malerman's debut novel Bird Box is a terrifying psychological thriller that will haunt you long after reading.

Most people dismissed the reports on the news. But they became too frequent; they became too real. And soon it was happening to people we knew. Then the Internet died. The televisions and radios went silent. The phones stopped ringing. And we couldn't look out
Published January 29th 2015 by Harper Voyager (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Box, please sign up.
Charlotte Yes, supposedly, I know this question was asked six months ago, and I hope you see this answer. In the inside back cover of my copy, it tells me that…moreYes, supposedly, I know this question was asked six months ago, and I hope you see this answer. In the inside back cover of my copy, it tells me that the film rights have been sold to the director who directed the film, Mama. So, I'm not sure if it's actually being made into a film, but supposedly the script is in place at the studios. As somebody else said, I'm not sure how they'll cover the creatures, because in the book it's easily left to the imagination as they are never explained or even seen by the reader--so the movie could easily ruin the premise if they screwed up on that big detail.(less)
[Name Redacted] No, the author is writing a series of unrelated novels, each one focused on a different one of the five primary senses -- the next one is about…moreNo, the author is writing a series of unrelated novels, each one focused on a different one of the five primary senses -- the next one is about hearing ("Black Mad Wheel").(less)

karen
this is an incredibly original horror/psychological suspense novel that reminds us that with all great horror, the unseen is so much more terrifying than the seen. this is why japanese horror movies are so effective. they don't rely on graphic special effects to build the suspense, and the way they manipulate shadows, sounds, and background space creates an unparalleled atmosphere that leaves a more lasting, haunting impression than "crazy chainsaw-toting psychopath" splatter films. which, don't ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Will Byrnes
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
”Creatures…
infinity…
our minds have ceilings, Malorie...
these things...
they are beyond it…
higher than it…
out of reach…
out of--

BUT HERE”

photo closed-eyes_zpsd72b92b6.jpg
Whatever you do DON’T OPEN YOUR EYES!!

Malorie has just confirmed she is pregnant the very day that people begin killing themselves. News travels so fast now. Something can happen in Cairo. Someone can film it, load it to the internet, and within minutes of the event occurring someone in Des Moines is watching what happened. News, mostly tragic news, from around
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Night Film
(rating bumped from 4 up to 5 stars after thinking about it more)

A few days ago when I finished this book, initially I was pissed off and disappointed at the ending. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered, but upon a few days' reflection I've realized that it was the only realistic way this could end. SO, if you are wary of reading this because you don't want an open ending, don't be! Malerman made the right choice in leaving some things unknown, because ultimately it works best for this type o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap on a cracker, y'all! This book! Creepsville!!

Don't freaking go outside without your blindfold or you might open your eyes.

I must say, if I had to choose what apocalypse I would be in, I would pick the zombies because at least you can go outside and see them and kill them. Unless you're blind and then your up sh•t creek.

One day they start getting reports of people seeing things and then turning violent and killing people and themselves. And of course you start thinking, wth?

Malorie
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Hold on tight...this trip is going to blow your mind!

Horror is a genre that I normally avoid completely, but with the rave reviews from my GR friends for this book I felt I needed to step out and give it a try. And it was so incredibly good! Oh my God!

Malorie and her sister Shannon move in together in Detroit. Life immediately throws her a curve ball. Malorie learns she's pregnant from a brief encounter with someone she didn't know well, and thinks this is as bad as it gets. Not even close! Some
Norma * Traveling Sister
Sister Read Review by Norma & Brenda

Holy Sh*tty Balls this was one heck of a creepy book!

5 creeped out Stars for Norma & 4 freaking out Stars for Brenda!
So for the purpose of this Sister Read it gets a combined rating of 4.5 Stars!

BIRD BOX by JOSH MALERMAN is a wonderfully creepy, scary, eerie, and downright terrifying tale that grabbed our attention right from the very start to the heart-pounding finish.  This book was extremely hard to put down!

BIRD BOX made us both feel fearful
Will Byrnes
Close your eyes and imagine the basso sound of voiceover icon Don LaFontaine intoning, “In a world gone mad…” and that is pretty much where Bird Box begins. Open your eyes and go mad. Kill others, yourself. Can you keep from peeking? For how long? In Josh Malerman’s post-apocalyptic, eye-opening scare-scape, something happened. An invasion? Some natural phenomenon? No one is really certain. But what has become clear is that anyone who steps outside with their eyes open goes insane, not just gibb ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Where the hell do I start with reviewing this book? Unlike nothing I've read in a long time this one is a stand out read like no other for me this year. I had wanted to read this for ages and so glad I finally did.

Emotions stirred reading this book I think covered them all, I noted how on edge I was constantly reading this novel. From early pages to the last I was fixated, addicted and full of tension, bordering on fear at times.

Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen.
Mandy
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! Bird Box was amazing! This definitely lived up to the hype that everyone spoke of. I highly recommend this book if you want your mind to be twisted and turned in ways you can't imagine. Creepy, terrifying, horrid, and downright scary! Loved it! Would make an interesting movie......
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2.5 stars.

I would not last in the apocalyptic world set out in this book. My dad used to say I had nose problems because let's face it. I have to know what's going on. Walking around for 4 years with a blindfold on every time I went outside? Yeah, dead in less than 60 seconds.
Not this kind of blindfolded either.

This book doesn't give the reader many answers. I do know what the author was going for. The whole scary in the mind of the reader thing. The thing is I need some answers. I get all ants
Trudi

Whoah. This is some really good shit. Color me very impressed. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this one up, but it totally delivered on tension and suspense, a palpable dread, and a suffocating sense of doom.

Just as a launching off point I'm going to throw two pop culture references at you that I couldn't stop thinking about while reading this book. The first is the music video "Just" by Radiohead. Remember that's the one where there's this guy who just lies down in the
Amalia Gavea
''There are things out there that will hurt you.''

Even though thrillers aren’t among my favourite reads, this one had all the right ingredients. A mix of Dystopian Fiction with a healthy dose of Paranormal and two extremely interesting main characters. It was creepy and fascinating.

News of a series of completely abnormal action begin to reach the USA. In a contemporary world, violent deaths start from an area in Russia and escalate, spreading everywhere. What is it that makes these deaths horr
Jennifer Masterson
4 1/2 stars but I'm rounding it to 5 for originality. I could not put this book down for the last 100 pages. If you like the Walking Dead, horror or just a good scary thriller than this is the book for you. I hope there is a sequel and a movie!
Maciek
Bird Box offers a well-known premise - the world as we know it suddenly coming to an end, and the few who survived trying to cope with the new reality - but with an interesting twist (certainly a desirable addition to the formula which, much as I enjoy it, is now beginning to resemble a really dead horse). This is both a good, and a bad thing - and the book is also both these things, as it began well but ended up being disappointing.

The hook of Bird Box is, like in much post-apocalyptic fiction,
Matthew
Creepy, tense, scary! (The below lines are kind of spoilerish . . . but nothing the description on Goodreads doesn't already mention)

Unable to use your eyes for fear of madness . . .

Unseen and unknown terrors roaming outside . . .

Trapped inside with the windows covered . . .

The sanity of your companions in question . . .

Running out of supplies . . .

Seeking salvation, but not sure where to find it or who to trust . . .

Pregnant . . .

This was intense and a must read for horror and thriller fans eve
Annet
Wow, what a book! Seriously scary and creepy. You just have to keep reading to know how it ends. At least, I had to.... Who can think of such a story...
Suspension and creepiness from start to end, intriguing story. What's going on? What happened leading up to this situation? Will she and kids survive? .... Wew.... one h*ll of a story.
I say, this is also a seriously impressive case of woman power! Great, great, entertaining book.
AB: Looking back at my books in 2015, upgraded this one to five s
mark monday
fantastic book. there are a bunch of excellent 4-star reviews out there and I'm not sure I have a whole lot more to add.

synopsis: it's the end of the world as we know it. creatures from somewhere roam the streets. to gaze upon them means certain doom, or at least a murderous, suicidal insanity. the world soon realizes that something very wrong is happening everywhere. four years later, our heroine and two children must take a blindfolded river journey to an uncertain destination.

sound is a key
Sh3llraiser
1 DEC 2016: Only $1.99 on Kindle! Totally worth it (to me at least.)

You can't ever look at it or you will go violently insane. That is basically the premise of this book. What is it? What are they? Why are they here? What is it that people see that makes them go crazy? You'll have to read it to find out.

I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't believe it was a first novel either. This guy knocked it out of the park, if you ask me. So creepy. A perfect blend of suspense and horror mixed in with an end-of-the-w
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

EDIT: 4.5 STARS AND ROUNDED UP BECAUSE IDGAF

For maybe the second time in the history of Goodreads, I'm changing my initial rating of a book and floating my review. I don't really give a shit if you don't like this book - I liked it enough for everyone. I liked it so much that I constantly think about it whenever I hear a creepy noise in the dark or think how terrifying it would be if I had to face potential superbadawfuls blin
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
FOUR STARS

I'm not a huge fan of horror, so I always sort of pushed back on this book and never read it when it was published in 2014. This, despite the wonderful ratings it had received from some of my favorite reviewers on Goodreads.

Then, it happened. I saw the labels “dystopian” and "post apocalyptic”. Now we're talking! Those are descriptions that speak my lingo. Some of my most beloved books are a mixture of both of those sub-genres: Station Eleven, Dark Matter, The Girl With All the Gifts.
Christine
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Picked for me by Jan

A big thank you to my wonderful book buddy Jan for picking this book for me to read. I had initially marked it, but when I started seeing people place it on their “horror shelves” I backed off. I do not do horror, no way. When I was told this was more “creepy” than “horror(ible)”, I thought I would go ahead and give it a shot. Boy, was I surprised at how much I got into this novel!

Josh Malerman is an author to watch for sure. I was immediately drawn into this strange tale and was totall
Matt
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Laura Rash
Shelves: audiobook
After having this book so highly recommended to me by one of my friends on Goodreads, I decided to delve in to see what Josh Malerman might have to say in this twisted novel. Early into the story, Malerman introduces readers to his protagonist, Malorie, a young and somewhat fearful woman. Scrubbing the walls and carpets of blood stains, Malorie appears highly agitated and yet focussed on her task at hand, which serves only to up the ante of what is yet to come. The reader soon learns that someth ...more
Debra
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Amazing, Fantastic, Eerie, Atmospheric, chilling, engrossing....WOW!

Eerie, Atmospheric, chilling, engrossing. These are the words I would use to describe this book. For those who enjoy derie and dark books, this book will be a perfect fit. This is a horror type book but without the gore. There are some plot holes but you forgive the first time Author that for his originality and heart he put into this book. It's getting a lot of buzz right now and it deserves it. It's not for everyone but most p
Berit☀️✨
4 Unsettling Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

don’t open your eyes!

What the **** did I just read? This book was NOT what I was expecting... at all! It was disturbing, creepy, and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.... just going to put it out there if I were in this situation, in this post apocalyptic world, I would so be gone in the first day.... just saying....

Something is out there, something that makes you go mad if you lay your eyes on it.... mad to the point you will kill others, yourself, or both..
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Sister review with Norma!

So freaking out creepy, GOOD! Those are not words I thought I would ever put together. What were those things?

Our full sister review can be found on our sister blog

RedemptionDenied
Well, this had a different take after an apocalyptic event.

The craziness starts in Russia, where people are going on a murderous rampage; then killing themselves. Malorie who lives in Michigan, with her sister Shannon - is in the bathroom examining herself in the mirror: as she believes she may be pregnant after having a one-night-stand. Shannon is watching the news reports of similar incidents to those in Russia and advises Malorie that there are people going insane in Alaska and Canada, as wel
Maxwell
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, kindle
WOooooOow. This book was thrilling. It was an addictive, (somewhat) scary, fascinating read. I feel like this would be a great book to recommend to people who don't read a lot because it's not too long, it's easy to read, and it is unputdownable. I don't want to say anything else about this book because it's so much more fun going into it with no previous knowledge. Also I imagine this would make a great audiobook too. So if you like creepy thrillers definitely check this one out!
Reading Corner
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it

Wow!This book is incredibly good and quite creepy.The story follows Malorie who is stuck in a post-apocalyptic world where people are killing themselves, in any manner possible and no one knows why.The premise of the book is completely enrapturing and leaves you anxious for the next chapter.I absolutely loved the post-apocalyptic element in this book as it was done so well and was unique.

For the most part, the plot switches between the past and present to reveal the the direction of the
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Finally I read this - been hearing about it for years. One of those books I wanted to read but kept procrastinating on starting for some odd mystery that will never be solved - much like the creatures in this book.

Tense and gripping with an isolated, claustrophobic atmosphere, Bird Box was hard to put down once the somber, surreal tone sucked me in. I didn't get into the beginning right away - it was out
Jen
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should have read this book blindfolded. People are killing themselves and no one knows why. They know whatever is out there, if they should see it, it will cause them to go mad and end in their death. They are being hunted but without sight, they can survive. A quick and easy read but one that will leave you feeling tense and on edge. I don't typically run to these kind of reads and in this case, I was trying to run from it. Not a lot of depth but who needs it when you have a lot of fear.
Go a
  • Southern Gods
  • Mr. Shivers
  • The Lesser Dead
  • Snowblind
Josh Malerman is the author of BIRD BOX and the singer/songwriter for the band THE HIGH STRUNG.
“It's better to face madness with a plan than to sit still and let it take you in pieces.” 141 likes
“In a world where you can’t open your eyes, isn’t a blindfold all you could ever hope for?” 19 likes