Start by marking “Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better” as Want to Read:
Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better

Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better

Whether you?re a Mac or Windows user, there are tricks here for you in this helpful resource. You?ll feast on this buffet of new shortcuts to make technology your ally instead of your adversary, so you can spend more time getting things done and less time fiddling with your computer. You?ll learn valuable ways to upgrade your life so that you can work?and live?more efficie ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Upgrade Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upgrade Your Life

Start your review of Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better
Michael
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to-reference
This book won't be a revelation to anyone who follows the Lifehacker blog (or keeps familiar with personal computers in general), and it's also dated. Might be worth browsing since it offers some good ideas in a single location.
Elaine Nelson
Had to take back to the library w/out finishing, or even reading more than a few of the hacks. But I liked what I did read, & would be tempted to pick up a copy for my own reference. Plus it got me reinspired about keeping my email tidy. ...more
Jamie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lots of computer stuff, and since it is 8 years old, naturally a lot of it is outdated. Some good chapters about time management/how to get things done. Wish it was less tech related...
Wellington
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it

Lifehacker is about Tech tricks, tips and downloads for getting things done. If you use a computer, you're bound to find something helpful in this book. They use the hacker as a term for someone who finds easier ways to do things.

The book works for both the novice and the uber-geek. The book recommends a lot of open-source, shareware, or free downloads that will make your life easier. Or you could just read the hacks on shortcuts on existing applications that you already have. Let the computer d
Risa
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: livebikework-com
This book is awesome! I learned how to do a lot of cool tricks to make so many little tasks in my life easier- one of the most handy being consolidating all of my email addresses into one gmail account. Downside: when somethig doesn't work right, this book doesn't tell you HOW to fix stuff you may have messed up, but luckily most Google stuff has awesome onlin help.

Lifehacker has online pages for each chapter (starting here: http://lifehackerbook.com/) which are an amzing compliment to the book.
Jay
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills
Who would not want a life upgrade? This book offers a balanced focus between useful software tools and personal skills that really can make a difference In a connected world. The ideas are organized into several broad categories, each intended to deal with a common problem area, compiled from a large collection available through the associated lifehacker.com website.

Since the book is now two years old, some of the technical hacks don't reflect current software. This is unavoidable for any book i
Allison
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found many of the ideas in this book very useful, although some of the links and programs discussed are now outdated in the edition I read (such as references to the no longer existing Google Notebook). Overall though, it was very useful in maximizing my time and efforts. Now I just have to keep at it ;)

Also, having read Getting Things Done as well, I really liked some of the tips the Lifehacker book suggests you use for more easily implementing the principles in Getting Things Done. A lot les
Gary
Jul 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
Of course, if you're really looking for a book filled with life hacks for living better, we'd be remiss not to mention our own book, written by former Lifehacker editors Adam Pash and Gina Trapani. Lifehacker is all about using technology to help you work more efficiently. From controlling your email to organizing your data and automating repetetive tasks, this book has all sorts of tips, tricks, and guides for using technology as best you can—without getting distracted by cat pictures. You can ...more
Beth
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I *LOVE* this book. I live most of my life on my computer, and this book really helped me find more time and find ways around some the issues that I have with my computer. I'm really, really pleased with the suggestions.

There are some clear biases that don't work for me: focus on Firefox and PCs, but there's a lot of cross-platform and specifically Mac things too.

Definitely a book worth reading and, more importantly, using.
Frank
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Lifehacker is a very useful site--too useful in the sense that there's too much content. Bad probelm to have, I know. Anyway, this is a collection of some of their top time management/productivity tips. Not everything is applicable to everyone (and some tips actually seem more time-consuming). But I did incorporate their suggestion about keeping my inbox empty and it has already paid dividends. So, thanks for that, book.
Angela
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-ficiton
Some neat ideas about using "hacks" (technology and tech tricks) to streamline your life. My one concern in getting the book (only available interlibrary loan in my location) was that, in technology terms, it had some age on it (published 2008). I was able to use a surprising amount of things anyway (partly because my home laptop still runs Vista, Lord help me!). I just discovered that a new edition of the book is due out any time now--hopefully the library will buy it this time!
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, productivity
A lot of the hacks presented have appeared on Lifehacker over the years. I had actually already adopted a fair few of them, but found more I want to experiment with.

Most of the hacks are geared toward Windows and Mac, with some focused strictly on cross-platform tools, and they're leveled to help you find those hacks that are within your comfort zone (or strike you as worth the risk of growing a little).
Petra Willemse
Don't get me wrong - my life could use an upgrade! However, most of this book is made up of stuff I knew already or stuff I could have learned by looking on the internet. Since it is somewhat outdated now too, looking at lifehacker's website is going to be more informative than reading this book. If you want a basic how to guide to some work skills, especially for beginner/low intermediate computer users, than check this out. Otherwise, google it.
Dr X
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I haven't ever spent much time thinking about how to do what I do more efficiently, but this book made me perceive everything in this light (making me annoy everyone around me). All I can say is that this book has made me happy by making me do what I do more easily. Better than a self-help book by far.
Jim
Aug 22, 2009 marked it as to-read-tier-2  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-org-skills
I added Gina's Lifehacker.con blogfeed to Gina's author page. Receive RSS feeds in your goodread's home page by clicking the fan button on her goodreads authors page. Very cool.

I encourage other readers to link your favorite authors blog RSS feeds to their goodreads page. It's easy to do. I have done about 10 so far.
Alex
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A collection of tips and tricks from the founding editor of lifehacker.com. Covers things like managing e-mail effectively, controlling your schedule and managing your data. Some things are pretty minor, but there are quite a few nice tricks to be learned. I'm sure I'll be keeping it around as a useful reference.
Feb 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Based on the title, "Upgrade Your Life," I thought that this would be more wide-reaching, but it concentrates completely on computer and tech-based tips. I definitely got five or six good things to try, but I don't need to buy this one.
Mary
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
There were TONS of useful things in this book and they were explained in a clear way so I could tell what they would do for me and how to set them up/implement them. It did become clear to me in reading this book that I need to make the transition from IE to Firefox as my web browser.
Eric
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A collection of tech-savvy tips for improving your organizational skills. Some didn't make sense for the way I work, but there were a surprising number of gems that actually were helpful. Recommended for anyone who wants to get more use out of their computer or the Internet.
Steve
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accumulated tips from one of my favorite websites, lifehacker.com, this book provides many ways to improve, automate, and streamline many of the things you use computers for. Updated in 2008, some of the things are already a bit out of date, but you'll still find plenty to try out.
Carina
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this one for the efficiency and improvement tips. Common frustrations like emailing effectively and taming your inbox are included, but also ways to make your dumb phone smart by texting to get google maps directions and other handy money savers.
Rosie
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lifehacker is a great resource for tech related productivity. Favorite sections include Chapter 9: Work Smarter on Your Smart Phone and Chapter 1: Control your Email. The website is also a good reference for a variety of other non tech hacks as well.
Neil Wigner
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
Really great book, newer editions keep the material up to date. Great overview of tips in all categories and I picked up more than I expected to from the book. Will read and re-read and implement many new ideas from the book!!
Beverlee  Couillard
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good book to read to get your life in order. I'm very easy distracted: Too Many Interests. However, I have put into practice several of his thoughts for my office. Very practical book to keep handy.
bookreader
A technology/time-management mashup filled with dozens of concrete, easy-to-implement hacks that should make all but the most tech-savvy reader at least 25% more productive. If you spend any (meaning too much) time in front of a computer, this book is an essential read.
Shaun Bevill
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has some great tips on simplifying your digital life.
Liliana Bachelder
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
truly useful approaches to technology, part 2
Lesley Looper
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is full of many good computer-related tips! I could see owning of copy of my own to refer back to various chapters.
Jenn
Apr 28, 2009 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not everything in here was useful (I'm already doing a lot of the Google-related tips), but a few of the suggestions have been life-changing in a good way. Very happy I picked this one up!
Brodie
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Great tips and tricks. If only I had time to implement them.

• Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
  • The Art of Project Management
  • Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
  • Your Brain: The Missing Manual
  • Personal Development for Smart People: The Conscious Pursuit of Personal Growth
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Mind Hacks: Tips & Tricks for Using Your Brain
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • A Geek in Japan: Discovering the Land of Manga, Anime, Zen, and the Tea Ceremony
  • Worlds Hidden in Plain Sight: The Evolving Idea of Complexity at the Santa Fe Institute, 1984–2019
  • The Liberal Media Industrial Complex
  • Jeff Bezos: The Force Behind the Brand: Insight and Analysis into the Life and Accomplishments of the Richest Man on the Planet (Billionaire Visionaries Book 1)
  • The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence