Start by marking “Choose Wisely: 35 Women Up To No Good” as Want to Read:
Choose Wisely: 35 Women Up To No Good

Choose Wisely: 35 Women Up To No Good

(Women Up To No Good #1)

Choose Wisely: 35 Women Up To No Good is a feminist anthology of dark fiction co-edited by H. L. Nelson and Joanne Merriam. Containing 35 stories of bad women and "good" women who just haven't been caught yet, it features Joyce Carol Oates, Aimee Bender, Diane Cook, and 33 other fearless women writers.
Published March 31st 2015 by Upper Rubber Boot Books (first published March 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Choose Wisely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choose Wisely

David
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an impressive collection. Strong, well written, and intriguing. The writing is consistently good throughout while the individual pieces are excellently varied in style, tone, and impact. Some are deliciously humorous, some are hauntingly tragic, and some are unsettlingly horrifying. A wonderful mix of excellent writers and stories. There is just so much to like here.
Sarah Beaudette
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fem-lit
There's something in here for everyone, and I mean everyone: all styles and genres: litfic, horror, humor, sci-fi, you name it. This also means you probably won't like every story, but it's a meaty, worthwhile survey of what's out there today in terms of short fiction by women authors. Since many of the stories are flash (1,000 words or fewer), I'll only list a few of my favorites.

Also, there are a few stories with a lot of violence, and a few dystopic "this is a society in which women must all
Sharra
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Robert Vaughan
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great anthology filled with some of the best contemporary writers. A must read.
Dana Stabenow
Some interesting, provocative and downright weird (I did not understand what the author of the zombie story meant by it, not even a little) short stories written by women about women in genres ranging from modern fiction to sf to fantasy. Even if you picked up the book only to read the first story by Diane Cook, "Moving On," it would be worth it to you.
Jeanne
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an impressive collection of fiction by female authors ranging from the famous to brand new voices. Although the stories are mostly speculative in nature, their style ranges from classical Margaret Atwood-style to dystopian to magical realism to laugh-out-loud humor. Since there are 35 stories in the collection, I thought I'd touch on a few of my favorites.

As a fan of Ray Bradbury and Margaret Atwood, I was pleased to find that the very first story, "Moving On," by Diane Cook, is a classi
Anne
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It grabbed me with it’s first story, which reminded me of Margaret Atwood’s "The Handmaid’s Tale", and kept my attention with fascinating story after fascinating story. It calls itself a “feminist anthology” but, really, it’s just a damned good anthology of damned good stories.
Lisa Bates
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I purchased this book without knowing that it was dark fiction so I was mostly upset when I ran into the story that involved rape but I was only interested in the book because I liked the first story set in a psychiatric unit. I've always been a sucker for anything that could get me closer to this experience, and so, I purchased the book.

I gave it only 3 stars because it's not a waste a money but did not give it 5 stars because I wouldnt knowingly read it or refer to it again. Maybe I gave it 3
Frances
This was fantastic. Incredible range of stories, comfortable and weird and strange and bright and cold and generally lovely. Grab it if you can.
Lindsey
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
This book caught my eye because it featured Joyce Carol Oates - and naturally her story is the best. I was hoping I would find at least one new author in this collection that I could appreciate, and I did: Tina May Hall. But the vast majority of the stories were just not good, relying on shock value or some wearisome conceit.
Andrea
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This was sort of an uneven collection in that some stories didn't appeal to me. My favorite stories were by Gwen Beatty and Rebecca Jones-Howe--those were great.
Tracy
Jan 01, 2017
H.L. Nelson
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kelly
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Grant Reynolds
Aug 31, 2017
Jessica McHugh
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Meg Tuite
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
S.K. Miner
Oct 04, 2016
Shai Norton
Jan 05, 2017
Kathy
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
MARTHA E CROW
rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2016
Nancy
rated it it was ok
May 18, 2018
H.L. Nelson
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Support Female Indie Writers! 1 2 Apr 04, 2018 04:05PM

• To Shape the Dark
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2015 Edition
  • Fractured: Tales of the Canadian Post-Apocalypse
  • Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics
  • Smoketown
  • Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s
  • Embrace the Passion (Pets in Space Anthologies, #3)
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • Alanya to Alanya
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Second Paradigm
  • Supernatural Noir
  • Strong Arm Tactics (Wolfe Pack Book 1)
  • The Dark Lady: A Romance of the Far Future (Birthright #13)
  • Happy Snak
  • Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft
  • The Flash Gold Boxed Set, Chronicles I-III
  • Miles to Go (Sylvan Investigations, #1)

Women Up To No Good (3 books)
  • Broad Knowledge (Women Up To No Good #2)
  • Sharp & Sugar Tooth (Women Up To No Good #3)