Start by marking “City In Embers (Collector, #1)” as Want to Read:
City In Embers (Collector, #1)

City In Embers

(Collector #1)

Zoey Daniels has been tossed from foster home to foster home, where she grows up fast and tough. When she is placed in her “last-chance” home, she finds a reason to stay and turn her life around: her foster sister, Lexie, who is paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. Zoey will do anything to keep her safe.

After high school, Zoey is hired by a special government agency, th
Published February 4th 2015

To ask other readers questions about City In Embers, please sign up.
Lise Nop! Read the first chapters and you'll be fixed!…moreNop! Read the first chapters and you'll be fixed!(less)
Tammy tomorrow (June 4th). I follow the author on Facebook - she's been posting links. I just pre-ordered my Kindle edition on Amazon today.…moretomorrow (June 4th). I follow the author on Facebook - she's been posting links. I just pre-ordered my Kindle edition on Amazon today.(less)

Start your review of City In Embers (Collector, #1)
Ben Alderson
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a brilliant book! i HAVE FALLEN INLOVE WITH THESE CHARACTERS AND I CAN NOT WAIT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK OMG SO GOOD
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not bad, but still not good enough*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 17.06.2018
The book centers around Zoey Daniels (22, turns 23 at the end of the book (view spoiler)) and a ruthless dark fae, a Wanderer (a jumper. They can blink in and out of time and space. Travel anywhere they want in the world in an instant.) named Ryker. Zoey's life turned up side down and will never be the same after devastation hits Seattle. The one who hunted and collected
Casey Ann Books
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book of Staceys that I’m reading and it won’t be the last. This women talent for writing is impeccable. She is a pro. let me tell you why - From the first page the reader is thrown into a battle of good vs. evil.

Relationships!!!! Stacey can write relationships so addictively. Ryker and Zoey are my spirit animals! the pace in their two relationships made for a great hot exciting read. The plot was fantastic. I really enjoyed how Stacey describes the destruction in Seattle… it set
Vaishali • [V.L. Book Reviews]

Rating: 3.8 stars

‘Keeping my multiple lives straight and the lies accurate to the right people was a constant dance.’

‘Horrific dreams layered the surface of my sleep, keeping me from truly falling under.’

‘City in Embers’ is written by Stacey Marie Brown, who also authored the ‘Darkness’ series. I didn’t have the best start with the ‘Darkness’ series but it was one that inevitably grew on my skin, soon calling to me like the night does the moon, and as an author who wrote my darli
Kathylill
What a pleasant surprise this book was in the end. It has all I’ve wanted: I spunky female lead, a ferocious fae warrior, an apocalyptical setting in today’s USA, a fast moving plot with some surprising turns and an adorable fae familiar in the guise of a monkey. The little guy made my day, every fucking time. And take a closer look at the cover! Aint't it beautiful? Better as some covers that I have seen lately with male nippels in the center.

Oh and the romance was brilliant. Even though they
Antonella
I am pleasantly surprised by this book and this author.
The book doesn't end up in any major cliffhanger but nothing is really resolved, so there is the plotline from this book to be continued in the next book. I am interested in reading more.
Beth
City in Embers is a marvelous new urban fantasy.

Zoey Daniels', a survivor caught in a fae created electrical storm, life is turned upside down when the very organization she worked form DMG, turns against her. Her job, collect fae for a highly secretive government organization in attempts to build weapons against them as well as use them to develop medical advancements for humans.

On the run from the DMG, Zoey find herself in a positon to lean on the very creatures she’s come to detest, the fae…
Petra
My original City in Embers audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.
Zoey, a tough and independent young woman, who has learned to fight for herself growing up in various foster homes, is a Collector working for a secret part of the government called the Department of Molecular Genetics (DMG). Together with her co-worker Daniel, with whom Zoey is desperately in love although he is considerably older and hasn’t been reciprocating her advances, they track and collect fae.
Melanie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
4.5*s
Review posted here...

Stacey Marie Brown wowed me with her Darkness series so I was thrilled to see that she has started a new series and she really comes through with this one too.
City in Embers is set in the same world as the Darkness series so we are already aware of what kind of people/species that we will meet and the tensions that start to happen between humans, Fae and such. What we didn’t know was that some humans already knew of the Fae’s exis
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
My Review:

I was blown away by this book. I absolutely loved Zoey and Ryker along with their little buddy Sprig.

Zoey is in her early twenties which means she's still trying to find her place in this world, she's still trying to figure out exactly who she is. Most of her life has been spent hopping from home to home, with time spent on the streets. It wasn't nice or safe anywhere Zoey happened to get placed, she was always made to be a victim, except she got tired of being one. She got tired of b
Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)
3 STFU Stars

Do you want to know my problem with this book, Zoey, Zoey was my problem! She was Horrible! She went on rants about psychological issues regarding other characters, but that chick was fucked up. "She tried so hard to be the woman Daniel would love and be proud of"
Shut up! You stupid stupid girl. We get it, you had a shitty upbringing, horrible in fact, but trying to please someone else or meet up to their standards by not being you is dumb to me.

Before we get into the meat and potat
Becca

Seriously I probably should warn you: I am a devoted and loyal fan to the Stacey Marie Brown because seriously, how can you not? Just to give you an example - her books are huge, filled with adventure, challenges, excitement, sexy, tension, amazing unique and fantastic characters. There isn't just one huge problem, there is so much but its never overwhelming, it never feels like it is over stretching either, like stretched too thin. Okay before I just go all i wanna have a baby with this book...
Bunnycore

City In Ember by Stacey Marie Brow this is from her Collector Series. I have decided to do a re-read of this series. I really enjoy Brown's work. So like before let's start with a blurb.

Simply Sam ツ
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm shit on writing reviews at the moment so here's a short recap on my feelings:

1. Zoey annoyed me. She was supposed to be some badass street fighter chick but, for some reason, she could never get herself out of any situation. Ryker has to come to the rescue a million times. Example A: They are running, she falls off a bridge or some shit, she can't swim (of course), so he dives in and saves her from drowning and hypothermia. Example B: They are hiding from bad guys, a guy gets shot, Zoey star
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Sometimes on the rare occasion I read a book that's out of my normal genre. This book was one of them. This is the first book I've read by this author. It was a little slow for me at the beginning but maybe that's because I had to read slower and kinda concentrate (and maybe look up some words in the dictionary).
However once I got my head into it I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading book two.
This book has taught me that I should branch out to different genres as this was an unexpecte
pearl.
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this Advanced Reader Copy from publisher in exchange for my honest review*

I hadn't read too many books about fae in the past, but City in Embers was definitely a great introduction to that world! The mystery behind DMG intrigued me, the romance had my stomach fluttering, and the end had me worried for what is yet to come! When The Barrier Between (Collector #2) comes out, you can bet I'm going to get my hands on it ASAP!

What I enjoyed:

Ryker. (spoilers ahead) In all honestly, I was pl
Pam Nelson
4 City of Embers Stars

Holy Smokes!

I gotta say I wasn’t expecting to like this story as much as I did. I am all for paranormal but Fae is a paranormal I just don’t seem to like much.

So I really wasn’t sure how I was going to like this. But hot damn I am impressed. The world really unfolds well. And I am hooked I need to know what is going to happen to Zoey.

It did take me a little bit to get into the book but once I was in I was IN!

DMG an organization of people who do testing and research on
Bella
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again Stacey has delivered a book that sucked me in! City of Embers is a book that will take you on a adventure you will not forget!

Zoey oh Zoey what a bad break this chick gets. I felt so sorry for her but loved that she was so strong through most of it! After losing everything and being stuck with the one thing she has been trained to hate, Zoey will have to find a way to stay alive with a Fae named Ryker after a event that transfers his powers to her.

Oh this book is just that good, from the
itsmeesahara❤️
3 ⭐⭐⭐

Zoey & Ryker’s story is much better compared to the first two books of Eli & Ember. It has a great start and an interesting concept. It’s just that there were too many enemies, it was all over the place. No insta love between Zoey & Ryker and has a love hate relationship. Then Zoey was supposed to be a badass (with her being a Collector and was a famous fighter) but Ryker ended up saving her all the time 🙄. Good thing we have Sprig the best sidekick ever, he made reading this fun 🤗.

I can’t
Rachel Beamin'
There isn't anything I can say that hasn't already been said.

With that, let's make this short and sweet -

It was a good book, fast read, enjoyable.

I would lean more toward YA Genre than NA.

The MC is a badass fighter.

description

The main male is a hot-broody-alpha, so of course sign me up.

All in all, worth a gander.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Loved this! Loved Zoey, Ryker, and omg Sprig! I need a Sprig!
★Me Myshelf and I★
PNR perfection

Couldn’t find anything to mark this down for!

Listened to on audio and I’m moving swiftly onto book 2, no time for reviewing sorry. Not sorry.

The BookWhisperer
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
City in Embers will be that book of 2015 to which I compare all others. This is a debut novel for The Collector's series that can be shortly summarized in a paranormal novel about human Collectors and the Fae. Zoey is an amazing character packed full of spice and vinegar. Having learned to be a survivor at a young age she is a force to be reckoned with. There are two other main characters, but this was a unique twist that had us following a main character about half way through, and then it swit ...more
Kimber Wheaton
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

City in Embers is an action-packed urban fantasy featuring lots of fascinating magical creatures and an addicting plot. Zoey is a kick-ass heroine with a traumatic past, coupled with an uncommon ability to see fae when most humans can't. Add in an adorable half-sprite/half monkey sidekick and you have the makings of a fun read.

The beginning of the novel was almost overwhelming. So much information so quickly, like massive info-
Sabrina
This was fantastic. I loved every minute of it.
Kandace
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand myself sometimes...

I loved Stacey Brown's Darkness series, so I'm not sure why I didn't just hop into another one of her series before now? She's easily become one of my favorite authors. And that's a short list.

I honest liked Zoey much better once I learned about the hardships shes gone through in her life. Ms Stacey really brings these character's emotions from the page, straight to my heart. When she throws in those moments of comedy, I really just sit there laughing out l
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
11/13/2020: Reread!

This review MAY contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

OMG, the struggle is real! This is my first venture into the waters of Stacey Marie Brown and I honestly didn't have any expectations going into this book. The synopsis of this book really called to me, and I am happy to say that I was blown away by this book! I am so glad that all the books in this series have already been released because I do not think that I could contain myself if I had to wait to finish this series.
Jess
Before Reading

I mean it's Stacey Marie Brown... so umm, HELL YES I will read this.

After Reading

She has done it again ILOVETHIS and that ending was fantastic.

Zoey: fae hater (collector)
In the beginning, she is in love with Daniel

description

Then, shit happens and she meets Ryker
description

Ryker: fae (the Wanderer)

Zoey and Ryker
description

You can just imagine the love-hate relationship that ensues. It's great.
Nikki Jefford
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Consuming!

City in Embers is one of those rare reads I started and absolutely had to finish in one day. The world ceased to exist. I was all in and not going anywhere until I'd read every last page.

No woman should have to experience even half the shit Zoey has - past or present. Throughout the story she went from the fire into the frying pan... into the inferno! Stacey Marie Brown, you are CRUEL! It's also one of the reasons I was reading on the edge of my seat all day. This poor girl goes th
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fae boy gets powers stolen by girl [s] 4 21 May 19, 2016 08:21AM

• Dark Light (Dark Light, #1)
  • Glint (The Plated Prisoner, #2)
  • Moon Claimed (Werewolf Dens, #2)
  • Gild (The Plated Prisoner, #1)
  • Shifter Wars (Werewolf Dens #1)
  • Wolf Roulette (Werewolf Dens, #3)
  • Sanctum (Blackwater Pack, #1)
  • Ruins of Chaos (Legacy of the Nine Realms, #3)
  • Revelation (The Revelation, #1)
  • Restoration (The Revelation, #5)
  • Knight (Fae Games, #2)
  • Vampire Debt (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #2)
  • Blood Trial (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #1)
  • This Dark Wolf (Soul Bitten Shifter, #1)
  • Deadly Dreams (Fortuna Sworn, #3)
  • Shadow's Kiss (Shadow Series, #1)
  • Rejected (Shadow Beast Shifters, #1)
  • Vernal (The Royal Protector Academy #1)
See top shelves…
Stacey Marie Brown is a lover of hot fictional bad boys and sarcastic heroines who kick butt. She also enjoys books, travel, TV shows, hiking, writing, design, and archery. Stacey swears she is part gypsy, being lucky enough to live and travel all over the world.

Collector (4 books)
  • The Barrier Between (Collector #2)
  • Across The Divide (Collector #3)
  • From Burning Ashes (Collector, #4)

News & Interviews

“You always think there will be a tomorrow. More time.” 1 likes
“I missed Starbucks. There were no caramel flavoring or whipped cream options in purgatory.” 1 likes