Start by marking “The Accidental Fiancee” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Fiancee

The Accidental Fiancee

‘…Tell me why exactly you want that ring on your finger so badly that you’ll even succumb, pitifully I may add, to your arch enemy?’

An interesting short romantic story from Zeenat Mahal, the celebrated, best selling author Haveli and The Contract...

‘Bad boy’ Akbar and ‘firebrand’ Khayyam were rivals and enemies back in college, while studying architecture. While he laugh
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 36 pages
Published January 11th 2015 by Indireads

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Fiancee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Fiancee

Ahmed  Ejaz
I chose one word to completely describe this story:
Boring!!!!!

MY FEELINGS FOR THIS STORY
This short story is one of the worst short stories I have ever read. I think this story has got 1st positon in my list, for that I am feeling very bad. You know why? Because I always love every Pakistani stuffs like: TV-Serials, films, stage programs etc.
BUT
This story was a very bad beginning for me in Pakistani literature. I had very high expectation from this author (because the author is a female and I
Pratikshya Mishra
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Simply loved it. It reminded me of the Pakistani serial Zindegi Gulzar Hai. Akbar Rasul- the rich, arrogant and spoiled teenager who had become a changed man, one who realized and apologized for his mistakes, and fell for his once arch-enemy, reminded me of Zaroon Zunaid. Khayyam Zafar whose sharp and vicious tongue once talked of feminism, saving the world, and working for all right causes, that was now silent for a serious reason, reminded me of Kasaf Murtaza. Zeenat Mahal narrat ...more
Reet Singh
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The voice - Zeenat's - that makes me smile - is here again! This time in a short story - light and flirty and fun. Do read if you appreciate fluent, amusing dialogue.
Sheryl C. Nash
Really cute, short read; thoroughly enjoyed it and honestly wished it was longer!!!
Dhivya Balaji
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
REVIEW:
How long should my review be for a single short story of 20 pages? How best to phrase the review to reveal the simple elegance of the story and the writing without revealing too much of the story itself? How am I actually going to bring out the pluses and minuses of the story in a few short words, much like the author has brought out the features of her characters?
The Accidental Fiancee is a good read. In trademark Zeenat style, the story is about two people who are at loggerheads, and
Aathira Jim
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had all the essence of a brilliant short story. I loved the chemistry between the characters as well as the Pakistani backdrop to the story. The writing style of the author was great and to my taste. Looking forward to reading full length novels by Zeenat Mahal. Kudos to her!
Zainab Sheikh
This is the kind of book that I would have never read if it wasn't for it being a 20-pages short story and I was farigh and bored during my 10-minutes break time.

Honestly, it felt like reading a short script of Hum Tv Drama and more specifically, reading the story of Zindagi Gulzar Hai with similar characters.

I hated Akbar. He is the epitome of a spoiled brat and an egotistical immature jerk. I would've maybe liked his character development but I couldn't because of how short the story was and h
Kritika
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I stumbled upon this book at the Indireads website by pure accident. I have read and enjoyed previous works of Ms Mahal a lot. So when I saw this book was for free, I decided to go ahead and buy it. It turned out to be a wise decision. I enjoyed it a lot. When reading, the story never seemed as short as it was in reality. Zeenat Mahal writes in such a way that captivates the readers completely. Even for a story as short as The Accidental Fiancee, the readers are thoroughly ensnared. An endearing ...more
Lavisha
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rounded to 5

I love the author's style of writing. The story is built up very finely and you need to read each and every word to get the peRFect feel of it. Of course, it is so superbly written that you will automatically want to read each and every word. The character construction (of protagonists) is also very nice.
I had to read the last part twice to understand the reason. It's written in such a way, that if you aren't paying attention, you won't come to know why she was desperate even at
Pranita
Such a fun read! Thouroughly enjoyed it from the beginning till the end and was smiling, laughing and grinning continuously. Akbar definitely is the perfect swoon-worthy romantic hero and had me smitten with his teasing remarks and caring side towards the end. Wish it was longer- the characters and the story definitely deserved a full-length novel; they were that good and enjoyable. This made me realise why we can never have enough of hate-to-love stories. I think the climax could have been bett ...more
Hina Tabassum
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and Sweet.

Enmity turning into love is one of my favourite themes of the Happily Ever Afters.

Adding anything more about the story in here will not be fair, but one thing I must mention is that the character build-up was great, even with so few a words and the story had a background to it.

Keep it up Zeenat Mahal
Nigham
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
"She's obviously marrying for money. Aren't you afraid she'll poison you to get to me?" He paused and then added as an afterthought, "And then me to get all of my money?"

His mother gave him a look that used to send his father in to unscheduled panic-attacks.

How can you not love a story, that'll surely make you laugh? I really liked... no... LOVED this book! 4 stars but looooooots of hearts. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ^_^

This book is really nice. Do read it! :)
Shonnie
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Very short story

This short story is more like a chapter. I enjoyed but wish I would've known it was a chapter.

I'm currently enjoying the romance novels that include other cultures and not just the multicultural romance novels. It's interesting because you get a glimpse of other cultures and a romantic story at the same time.
Nisha
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This was waaay too short. Considering the antagonistic relationship between the characters, I expected some serious buildup before they became a real couple. I wish we had some of khayyam's perception. It was told mainly in Akbar's perception, which wasn't bad, but felt limited. A good start, overall, but wanting much much more.
Prasanna
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story that leaves you asking for more. The romance between the fiery Khayyam and the bad boy Akbar, is humorous, touching and scintillating. In some ways Khayyam reminded me Chandini from Haveli. I am definitely loving Zeenat's humorous and sparkling love stories with the quintessential firebrand female characters.
Zainab Khan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The Accidental Fiancee was a very short read, I would say. Especially since I loved Zeenat Mahal's writing style, and I definitely wanted more. But despite it being short and not enough for me, I enjoyed the 25 pages this book consisted of.

I'm definitely going to read more of Zeenat Mahal once I get some free time at hand.
Vandana Shanker
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, crisp, simple but short. The story left me hankering to know more about the characters, especially the fiery Khayyam. Perhaps the author could write an accompanying piece to show the change and growth of Khayyam. If she does, I would definitely be buying. As of now, I am eagerly looking forward to read Haveli and The contract!
Jigar Doshi
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
College enemies meet again. While he sees it as an opportunity to get back at her, she agrees to it for some reason. He is intrigued, she is helpless.

Short, sweet and cute story of college enmity silently and slowly turning into love.
Zeenat Mahal weaves magic through her writing. Yet again.
Mehnaz
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the writing style, but the plot was vague to me. (view spoiler)
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Too short! Very nice novella. Loved the setting in Lahore, but I wish it had been a bit longer.
Yashika Nagpal
An average story; completely predictable; lacks individuality.
The same winner story- rich guy, poor girl, hate turns to love! It's cute somewhere, but what swearing women is not!
Ruchi Singh
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Short and sweetly romantic.
S
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really cute story though short. I wish it was long . As always, it was fast paced and engaging as all of the stories I have read from this author
Kiran Jabeen
It was nice... I didn't want to stop reading but it ended so soon but then again, it's a short story so what did I expect? :D

Good and enjoyable read. :)
Radhika
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice...
katayoun Masoodi
a very short story, but cute
Zainab Mughal
a cliche Pakistani story, but written in a good way!!!
Sara Saif
I am definitely not angry or upset as the rating and the book shelf I put it in suggests. I just think it was a waste of the 10 minutes it took to read it. This is the first time I have read a book set in a contemporary Pakistani setting in English instead of Urdu. This is also most probably the very reason it fell flat and failed enormously to impress me. It just didn't have the rich flavor Urdu stories possess. It was too short and sudden. Meh!
Sharanya
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
A Little Too Short

Akbar and Khayyam star in this short and sweet story The Accidental Fiancee penned by Zeenat Mahal. Past college mates, Akbar and Khayyam find themselves in a position where they have to get engaged to please their parents. But with murky knowledge of their past selves, both Akbar and Khayyam struggle with upholding their deal. Will they decide to move on or let go? It was a good read, but I would have liked to read more about how these attempt to make it happen.
Purvashree
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a short and sweet story between a mischievous bad-boy and a head strong feminist girl and what fate has got them together..
It's is a little hard to review a short 20 paged book without revealing a lot.
I like how it's kept short and sweet... The real reason for them coming together is in the end paragraph.. So don't skim through it.. Or u might miss the point behind. It's a fun and a breeze read. N m sure u will like it..
Zeenat Mahal is the #1 bestselling romance author of She Loves Me He Loves Me Not, Haveli, The Accidental Fiancee, Twice Upon a Time, The Historian and the Hunter and The Contract. She has an MFA in creative writing from Kingston University London. She writes and teaches creative writing in Lahore. She likes to stay in touch with her readers via Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.