Start by marking “Rook Song (The Gaia Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rook Song (The Gaia Chronicles, #2)

Rook Song

(The Gaia Chronicles #2)

Astra Ordott is in exile. Evicted from Is-Land for a crime she cannot regret, she has found work in an ancient fortress in Non-Land: headquarters of the Council of New Continents, the global body charged with providing humanitarian aid to the inhabitants of this toxic refugee camp.

Recovering from a disorienting course of Memory Pacification Treatment, Astra struggles to fo
474 pages
Published February 5th 2015 by Jo Fletcher

To ask other readers questions about Rook Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rook Song

Rob
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
..Despite being almost a hundred pages longer, Rook Song felt like a much faster read than Astra. Where the first book aimed for a rising sense of unease with the flawed utopia that is Is-Land, in this novel we meet the problems of the world head on. It makes for a faster paced novel that nevertheless finds space for a whole range of social issues. Astra has to learn fast to keep up with the changes in her life. It is mostly a matter of taste, Foyle aims for very different effects with these nov ...more
Alice
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading Rook Song was not *quite* as magical an experience for me as Astra (which I enjoyed so much it's practically a desert island pick), but it was still pure pleasure and a world I looked forward each day to returning to when my reading time came. Wildly imaginative, brave and relevant, the Gaia Chronicles are an outstanding example of speculative fiction in the Butlerian tradition. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Bryan Wigmore
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up to Astra, featuring a complex political situation and a wide variety of incredibly real characters, who, with a single exception, I loved. On the basis of what I've seen so far, the Gaia Chronicles deserve to be much better known than they are.
James Robinson
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had no idea what was going on.
Lisa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
Ry Herman
I'm somewhat surprised that this series isn't being more widely read (as I write this, only 55 Goodreads reviews for the first book, 10 for this one, and 4 for the third); it deserves a wider audience. While Astra was a long, slow reveal of the rot inside a supposed utopia, this one dives into the human cost of its policies and hypocrisies that is taking place outside its walls. Although there are clear parallels to current events in Israel and Palestine, there are also environmental messages he ...more
S. Naomi Scott
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-authors
Rook Song is the second of Naomi Foyle's Gaia Chronicles series, and the third of her books I've read, and personally I think it's her best so far.

It follows on from the events in Astra , and finds the protagonist, Astra Ordott, carving a new life for herself under the protection of CONC (the Council Of New Continents). Gradually she overcomes the psychological scarring inflicted upon her by IMBOD and finds an occupation within the medical support units operated by CONC, which in turn gives her
Bells
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: None
Shelves: sci-fi
I really wanted this book to be good, I really did. Simply put, it just wasn't. I found the story difficult to follow and the characters both endless and pointless. I had difficulty enjoying the book and can't say I'd ever recommend it to anyone.

I feel like so much of what made ASTRA a great character was destroyed in the second book. I got to a point where I was in this confusing story about a character that I didn't even like anymore.
Michael O'Donnell
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good read. Big blocks of contention in the world portrayed in the story of single girl. Characters have depth but are caricatures. It gets harsh at times. None of it resolved.

2nd in a series. The map and personae were useful. Written this year so a conclusion will be a while off.
Shirley
is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2019
Liv
Apr 02, 2019

The Gaia Chronicles (4 books)
  • Astra (The Gaia Chronicles, #1)
  • The Blood of the Hoopoe (The Gaia Chronicles, #3)
  • Stained Light (The Gaia Chronicles, #4)