Start by marking “Tales of the Norse Gods” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Norse Gods

Tales of the Norse Gods

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A classic collection of stories by one of the best-known and most esteemed retellers of the last fifty years. Enter a world of cunning, trickery, and revenge. Encounter bold warriors, courageous women, strength in battle and bravery against the odds. These are the stories of the Viking gods. Drama and action abound as legendary heroes struggle against mighty giants, loaths ...more
Published March 22nd 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Norse Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Norse Gods

Manny
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Norse myths when I was a kid, though I can't remember which book it was that I read. If you're another fan, I'll give you a gentle warning: the Kenneth Branagh movie Thor may leave you feeling just a tiny bit irritated.

Don't get me wrong. There are many things to appreciate: Branagh has done a good job of directing, the actors all turn in excellent performances, and the CGI artists are on form too. You'll laugh a few times, and you may shed the odd tear - though I do feel obliged to
Kevis Hendrickson
Without a doubt, this is easily one of the best retellings of Norse Mythology I've come across (and I've read quite a few!). By accident, I discovered this book in my elementary school library when I was a child and never forgot the profound influence it had on my life. This is the book that cemented my love of mythology!

The Norse myths are some of the greatest collection of tales and legends ever written by man. Where the Greek Gods are cruel and remote, the gods populating Norse mythology are
Thomas Shepherd
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming little book that takes you through the stories of the Norse Gods. There is an over-arching story that runs through the series of shorter tales hich could each be read, if you liked, individually.

Each story is headed up with a small woodcut which really does add to the appeal of this book. I think my favourite story in this collection is The Lady of the Vanir which features Loki, Freyia and the Brisen-gamen. I feel having read it that I should have read this years ago before t
M.J. Gallagher
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as a point of reference for my own interests in Norse mythology. The short stories are told in a concise and enjoyable manner, particularly that they are ordered chronologically so that that the overall picture can be achieved. A couple of issues I would note are that the author has used her own interpretation in places - or "filled in the blanks", so to speak - to join the story together. As effective as this is, it misses several important factors about Norse myt ...more
Lisa
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to read these stories and compare the characters to their counterparts in the Marvel Universe. I like the idea of Loki with red hair, somehow it seems fitting. I also find it interesting how similar these stories are to other stories from different cultures.
Rangitha Kuruppu
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
An enchanting retelling of classic Germanic myths and legends which is easily one of my late-childhood favorites. This book is short and concise and covers the essence and the magic of all the popular stories without suffering any loss of feel due to translation and rendition.
Samuel Blondahl
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of the same stories you will find in the Poetic Edda, told in a different way, but this book does include other stories as well. Absolutely worth reading even if you know the Edda versions.
Cara
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love mythology in general but Norse is one of my favourites so I loved this book.
John
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two weird things about the book. It's old enough to have the old anglicized names for everything, and it's also old enough to pretend sex wasn't part of a bunch of the stories.
Susan Dickson
Mar 10, 2013
Anna
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Leonie Picard's first book was published in 1949, and was followed by over twenty more, all of which received praise for the mature and thought-provoking fare they offered young readers. She is well-known for her re-tellings of Homer, Gilgamesh, and ancient myths for young readers.
More about Barbara Leonie Picard...