Start by marking “Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)

Hawkmaiden

(Spellmonger Cadet #1)

The Falcon’s Call!

From the moment Dara of Westwood spied the Silver Headed Raptor nesting in Rundeval Peak, the precocious redheaded twelve year old girl was enchanted. The youngest daughter of the Master of the Wood lived in ramshackle Westwood Hall, in the independently-minded Westwood estate of Sevendor. Her determination to capture a baby falcon and train it wasn’t h
Published January 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Hawkmaiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawkmaiden

Start your review of Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)
Bob Hengstebeck
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
As with many of Terry Mancour's book I enjoyed the mix of fantasy with humor and down to earth nature of the characters in the book. However to be honest, in the author's notes in his blog about this book, he points out this was meant to be a YA novel for kids. Got that and while it held to the premise there is one problem. The book is set in the world of the Spellmonger and is a secondary telling of his second book. To understand where some of the characters are coming from the reader either ha ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
With a more YA focus, "Hawkmaiden" is lovely, reassuring reading. There's plenty of action - and the falconry is fascinating - but nothing too scary or gory. Great world building and I liked the positive interactions with family. (There are so many orphans in fantasy novels!) ...more
Jummai
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So goooooood!!!!!

I loved everything about this!
Ralph Trickey
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Fairly generic but fun YA book about a 12 year old girl growing into her powers.
Alice
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved every moment of this, from the first five minutes to the last. If you're a fan of Tamora Pierce's work, I'd consider this just as good and in the same vein!

It had the tone and feel of a classic fantasy story, with down to earth characters and a confident writing style that needed no extra fluff. The prose was very matter of fact, describing just enough to put you in the scene and able to understand the emotional response Dara had to everything, but without any nonsense.

Plus,
Eric
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome to have some more background on Dara, I thought she was the more interesting of the Spellmonger's apprentices. ...more
Thomas
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
General Overview
A turn in the Spellmonger chronicles, Hawkmaiden by Terry Mancour shows off his skills as a writer, and is a great new read for lovers of the series.

Style
I have spoken at length in my reviews of Mr Mancour’s other books about his competency and style of writing. Hawkmaiden is no different to these books, and is strongly delivered with panache as you would expect.

However, a clear testament to the authors skill as a writer, is in the strong female lead he writes up for this book.
Justin Lambert
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect

I have been saving Hawkmaiden since it came out and I worked my way through the original Spellmonger stories with the "naughty bits." It was delightful and perfect for a 10-14 year old. Granted the older the child the harder it is to read a good book honest young adult book that doesn't inadvertently steal their innocence.

So from this avid reader of the Spellmonger series, well done. I look forward to future "Cadet" novels as well as the continuing tales of this universe!!
David Chubrick
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Addition!

An excellent addition and addition to the Spellmonger series. A wonderful exploration of Dora firsthand from her life and her people just prior to the Spellmonger's influence arriving and then continuing her journey with her falcon thru the conclusion of the contest. If you ever wondered about Dora's perspective, this story will pleasantly fill the reader in. Looking forward to reading about her continuing journey...
Edward Brian
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and fantastic

Definitely worth a read! I really feel like I understand Lenodara's side of the story much better at this point. When (in the main books) she turned down a certain favorite character I admit I considered her to be petulant and undeserving. I realize now that I really only heard one side of the story and now having heard her side I feel I understand her motives and decisions a lot better! Thanks Terry Mancour for another amazing trip down Sevendor lane.
Ingrid
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, fantasy, ya
Told from the perspective of a 12 yo girl, this was a very enjoyable tale of determination, adventure, war and magic. The narrations audible was fabulous and I look forward to the next one in the series.
I haven’t read any of the Spellmonger series and that didn’t affect my enjoyment of this book. Might have to read them one day too!
Llechatton
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series by Terry Mancour is a must read for epic fantasy readers. So many twists and turns in the interwoven plot lines... So many good characters... Very well developed world building and magic systems.
Kevin
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've mostly listened to all the the Spellmonger series. It was very jarring hearing another narrator. There is a certain... style I am used to, and having a different narrator, while warranted, gave me problems with listening to this book. Of the 3, this is my favorite. ...more
Amanda Kern
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
And when is number 2 coming out

I want to know,heat happens next to this lady. I love she is a strong female lead in a male dominated world. How is she going to deal with these males next time and her hawk. Sorry falcon.
Lacey Stairs
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the narrator & the characters were charming. I wish I had heard this book when I was 13 or so... I would have been so enthralled. As it was I will tune into the rest of the aries I think. Not disappointed with this at all.
Karalea
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, and very quick. An enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

Hawkmaiden does a very nice job expanding on the backstory of Dara. I quite liked the alternate perspective on events in Sevendor during the siege.
Alan Watts
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty Good

It was nice to look at the characters from a different perspective. The worst part is the proof reading. It was bad enough that I had to figure out what a few things meant, but overall it was decent read.
Thomas Alexander
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. This was a great introduction to lady Lena Dara. This is the back story of a fascinating character introduced and lightly used in the Spellmomger’s ongoing odyssey. Well written.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Awesome

Awesome storyline and interesting read with twists and turns while striving to achieve her goal of obtaining a fledgling and unknowingly her natural talent released.
Cindy Berner
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it! Great back story!
Scott Tuscher
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great gateway into the spellmonger series!
Kirk
Aug 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3.7
Heath
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
Good Read.

The young adult novel of the hawkmaiden from the beginning with the story touching the Spellmonger story, but with more details from a POV.
Leo Schroeder
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hawkmaiden

Dara is an amazing character. I am so glad he did a spin off on her. Excellent read. I cannot wait to experience her character in subsequent books!
Mik Alderson
Apr 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Whilst painfully aware I’m not in this book’s intended demographic, I couldn’t put it down and am thereby all the more eager to write a review.
The dynamic of a little girl struggling to be taken seriously traces through the scenes consistently, adding context and believability to each chapter.
Somehow the travails set before her are sufficiently onerous as to be defining whilst not loosing plausibility. It all goes to build tension ahead of her staring role in the story’s climax.

Grea
Zachary
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fun YA foray into the Spellmonger world

This was a fun, quick story in Mancour's Spellmonger world. Yes, this covers events that happen in the main storyline, but it focuses on a perspective of a young girl during those events. I found that already knowing the general ideas of what was going to happen actually made the book more investing, in some ways. I enjoyed the writing (though there were a few editorial mistakes), and Dara's story is pretty fun. Looking forward to the next one.
Danny Moody
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable story. I’m glad the Dara gets her own book. This brings further depth to the world that Mancour created. I wonder how this book would stand by itself without know,edge of the Spellmonger books. I will have to try it with family which I can because this book is PG to the Spellmonger’s R. I love that I am finding out more about these fun characters.
Jenee Nicole
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sadly, the audible version of this book has a narrator I just didn’t care for from the get go. The story is still just as great as I enjoy from the author, but it was so hard to stay into it with the narration. Dara is one of my favourite characters in the series for sure.
M.L.
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a nice little story that adds to the Spellmonger saga. It doesn't really add much novelty to the main story though. I wished the book was meatier. ...more
Shady Lubbad
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I want more :)

• Inflame (The Completionist Chronicles, #5)
  • Axiom (Artorian's Archives #1)
  • Alumni (Artorian's Archives #2)
  • Arsenal (Artorian's Archives #4)
  • Annex (Artorian's Archives #3)
  • Glory to the Brave
  • The Red Sea (The Cycle of Galand #1)
  • Teresa (Everybody Loves Large Chests, #5)
  • Shadeslinger (The Ripple System #1)
  • A Warrior's Path (The Castes and the Outcastes, #1)
  • Dread Uprising (Ash Angels #1)
  • Genesis (Legends Online, #1)
  • The Silver Thief (The Cycle of Galand #2)
  • The Wound of the World (The Cycle of Galand #3)
  • Unity (Henchman #3)
  • A Warrior's Knowledge (The Castes and the OutCastes, #2)
  • The Hidden Tower (The Portal Wars Saga Book 1)
  • Twilight Templar (The Eternal Journey #1)

Spellmonger Cadet (3 books)
  • Hawklady (Spellmonger Cadet, #2)
  • Sky Rider (Spellmonger Cadet, #3)

News & Interviews

“Of course it’s unnatural,” Dara found herself saying, before she could catch her lips, “its magic.  If it was natural, it would just be work.” 0 likes