Start by marking “Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)

Hawkmaiden

(Spellmonger Cadet #1)

The Falcon’s Call!

From the moment Dara of Westwood spied the Silver Headed Raptor nesting in Rundeval Peak, the precocious redheaded twelve year old girl was enchanted. The youngest daughter of the Master of the Wood lived in ramshackle Westwood Hall, in the independently-minded Westwood estate of Sevendor. Her determination to capture a baby falcon and train it wasn’t
Published January 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Hawkmaiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawkmaiden

Start your review of Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)
Ralph Trickey
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Fairly generic but fun YA book about a 12 year old girl growing into her powers.
Bob Hengstebeck
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
As with many of Terry Mancour's book I enjoyed the mix of fantasy with humor and down to earth nature of the characters in the book. However to be honest, in the author's notes in his blog about this book, he points out this was meant to be a YA novel for kids. Got that and while it held to the premise there is one problem. The book is set in the world of the Spellmonger and is a secondary telling of his second book. To understand where some of the characters are coming from the reader either ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
With a more YA focus, "Hawkmaiden" is lovely, reassuring reading. There's plenty of action - and the falconry is fascinating - but nothing too scary or gory. Great world building and I liked the positive interactions with family. (There are so many orphans in fantasy novels!)
Jummai
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So goooooood!!!!!

I loved everything about this!
Thomas
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
General Overview
A turn in the Spellmonger chronicles, Hawkmaiden by Terry Mancour shows off his skills as a writer, and is a great new read for lovers of the series.

Style
I have spoken at length in my reviews of Mr Mancour’s other books about his competency and style of writing. Hawkmaiden is no different to these books, and is strongly delivered with panache as you would expect.

However, a clear testament to the authors skill as a writer, is in the strong female lead he writes up for this book.
Justin Lambert
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect

I have been saving Hawkmaiden since it came out and I worked my way through the original Spellmonger stories with the "naughty bits." It was delightful and perfect for a 10-14 year old. Granted the older the child the harder it is to read a good book honest young adult book that doesn't inadvertently steal their innocence.

So from this avid reader of the Spellmonger series, well done. I look forward to future "Cadet" novels as well as the continuing tales of this universe!!
Edward Brian
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and fantastic

Definitely worth a read! I really feel like I understand Lenodara's side of the story much better at this point. When (in the main books) she turned down a certain favorite character I admit I considered her to be petulant and undeserving. I realize now that I really only heard one side of the story and now having heard her side I feel I understand her motives and decisions a lot better! Thanks Terry Mancour for another amazing trip down Sevendor lane.
Thomas Alexander
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. This was a great introduction to lady Lena Dara. This is the back story of a fascinating character introduced and lightly used in the Spellmomger’s ongoing odyssey. Well written.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Awesome

Awesome storyline and interesting read with twists and turns while striving to achieve her goal of obtaining a fledgling and unknowingly her natural talent released.
Cindy Berner
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it! Great back story!
Scott Tuscher
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great gateway into the spellmonger series!
Heath
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
Good Read.

The young adult novel of the hawkmaiden from the beginning with the story touching the Spellmonger story, but with more details from a POV.
Leo Schroeder
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hawkmaiden

Dara is an amazing character. I am so glad he did a spin off on her. Excellent read. I cannot wait to experience her character in subsequent books!
Llechatton
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series by Terry Mancour is a must read for epic fantasy readers. So many twists and turns in the interwoven plot lines... So many good characters... Very well developed world building and magic systems.
Amanda Kern
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
And when is number 2 coming out

I want to know,heat happens next to this lady. I love she is a strong female lead in a male dominated world. How is she going to deal with these males next time and her hawk. Sorry falcon.
Karalea
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, and very quick. An enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

Hawkmaiden does a very nice job expanding on the backstory of Dara. I quite liked the alternate perspective on events in Sevendor during the siege.
Alan Watts
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty Good

It was nice to look at the characters from a different perspective. The worst part is the proof reading. It was bad enough that I had to figure out what a few things meant, but overall it was decent read.
M.L.
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a nice little story that adds to the Spellmonger saga. It doesn't really add much novelty to the main story though. I wished the book was meatier.
Shady Lubbad
Jason
Dec 22, 2019
LINDA A GUYON
Feb 19, 2017

• Dungeon Eternium (The Divine Dungeon, #5)
  • Morgana (Everybody Loves Large Chests #4)
  • Cursed (Schooled in Magic #17)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force, #8)
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 1
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • The Mage-Fire War (The Saga of Recluce, #21)
  • Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Mage Errant: Publisher's Pack, Book 1-2
  • The Third Realm (Ten Realms Book 3)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • Rexus: Side Quest (The Completionist Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)
  • Allegiance (Hell Divers #6)
  • Raze (The Completionist Chronicles Book 4)
  • Summoner 3 (Summoner, #3)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)

Spellmonger Cadet (3 books)
  • Hawklady (Spellmonger Cadet, #2)
  • Sky Rider (Spellmonger Cadet, #3)