Start by marking “The Cellars of the Majestic (Maigret, #20)” as Want to Read:
The Cellars of the Majestic (Maigret, #20)

The Cellars of the Majestic

(Inspector Maigret #20)

'Try to imagine a guest, a wealthy woman, staying at the Majestic with her husband, her son, a nurse and a governess . . . In a suite that costs more than a thousand francs a day . . . At six in the morning, she's strangled, not in her room, but in the basement locker room'

Below stairs at a glamorous hotel on the Champs-Élysées, the workers' lives are worlds away from the
Paperback, UK, 176 pages
Published July 2nd 2015 by Penguin Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Cellars of the Majestic, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Simenon didn't bother much about chronology, in part because he ground out articles and novels of several kinds like a sausage machine. In a 1939 nove…moreSimenon didn't bother much about chronology, in part because he ground out articles and novels of several kinds like a sausage machine. In a 1939 novel Maigret is retired and yet in this one, published 1942, he is hale, hearty, still working and younger. (less)

Start your review of The Cellars of the Majestic (Maigret, #20)
Adrian
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow on the morrow

Again, another really enjoyable Maigret, atmospheric, full of intrigue, full of Paris, and just soo French. Focussing on the murder of the wife of a wealthy American staying at the Hotel Majestic, Maigret haunts the cellars of the Hotel, where a myriad of chefs, waiters, cleaners and other hotel staff inhabit a twilight world of glass boxes.
As the investigation continues all clues point to the Hotel's chief coffee maker, Maigret though is not convinced, and delves d
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Just a brief review. A rich American businessman's wife is found strangled in a locker in the basement of the Hotel Majestic. A cook of the hotel finds her and becomes the number one suspect, because it turns out he and the lady have a past together.

As the story plays out we learn who the murdered woman is, who the suspect is, how are they connected and did he in fact murder her. If not, who and why?

I enjoyed this story very much and one of the reasons is that Inspector Maigret is unusually jovi
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: especially newcomers to series
Although The Cellars of the Majestic is the 20th novel in Georges Simenon’s series featuring Detective Chief Inspector Maigret, The Cellars of the Majestic is set before Pietr the Latvian, the first-ever Maigret novel. (view spoiler)

Maigret investigates the death of Mimi Clark, the beautiful French-born wife of a Detroit industrialist. Although quite wealthy since her marriage six years ago to the Am
Mark
Enter Police superintendent Maigret of the Paris police force after a the wife of a rich American is found strangled and stuffed in a locker in basement of hotel Majestic. The culprit is easily found and when after a second killing happens it is once again the same suspect who is in the picture and he gets arrested. Maigret does not agree with the actions of his colleague and has his own ideas.

A Maigret story generally does not contain any real action, it is more about Maigret finding out what h
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Good old Maigret. What would I do without him for sleepless nights?
A wealthy American's wife turns up strangled in the staff lockers of a luxury Paris hotel. Whodunit, and why dunit there? The accused is a hapless breakfast cook, but Maigret isn't buying his guilt.

This isn't the first or the last time that the Hotel Majestic and Bar La Cupole is as much a character in a Simenon novel as any one of the humans involved. We hear and see the bustle behind the scenes that creates the luxurious surr
Andrea
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Simenon is like eating a bar of dark chocolate...not much thought required but intellectually admirable, everything tidy at the end, and always a pleasure.
Leslie
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, french
Above average Maigret mystery. Simenon clearly knew the behind-the-scene world of the hotel business!
KOMET
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a well-written, enjoyable, police mystery novel set in interwar Paris
This is the second Georges Simenon Maigret novel I've read. Nor will it be the last. In so few words, Simenon creates a rich, multi-textured world with a colorful assortment of characters which is dazzling. There is a murder in a Parisian hotel of a woman who had been staying there with her American husband (and child, governess, and maid), who apparently is estranged from her, enraptured as he is with the governess and apparently set on going off to Rome with her.

But everything isn't as it see
Mikee
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simenon, maigret
" - Torrance reappears, after being murdered in 1931 (in Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett)!
- Maigret is no longer retired and is back living in the apartment on Boulevard Richard-Lenoir.
- Janvier make a first appearance.
- The Maigrets, once again, have no children.
- The previous Maigret book (in English) - Maigret Returns - was written in 1934. It was the 19th book in the series and, by all appearances, it was destined to be the last. This destiny, gratefully, did not take. This book, number 2
John
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My edition - Maigret and the Hotel Majestic

Another brilliant example of the genius of Simenon. Maigret doesn't solve his cases like Holmes or Poirot with intellect, he immerses himself in the characters and locations and soaks up the knowledge of what makes them tick. Simenon also writes with the most wonderful economy. There is no padding in his stories, no wasted words. His books are nearly always quite short, around 130 pages but he can say more in those pages than many other writers in much
John Frankham
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
One of the best Maigrets. The depiction of the workings of the hidden world in the bowels of a large hotel, and of the life of the staff is a masterly piece of writing, but then there is the mystery to solve also ...

Maigret investigates the murder of the wife of a wealthy American, whose strangled body is found in a staff locker in the basement of a grand hotel near the Champs-Elysees. Maigret’s inquiries take him from the endless corridors of the Hotel Majestic to the Bois de Boulogne and sun-d
Grace
The Maigret books are just perfect. Perfect little slices of Parisian life, and Maigret's mind. Nothing is sugar-coated, but nothing is too challenging, either. And really, Paris in the late '40s/50's - what more is there to say? ...more
Vel Veeter
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the richest of the novels that I’ve read so far in this series, and that’s for a few key reasons. For one, the plot is very good. A woman is found murdered in the bowels of the Majestic hotel. Investigating the murder reveals an underworld kind of system at work in the hotel. This is great because hotel novels were all the rage in the 1920s and 1930s anyway, but often didn’t really explore the underclass. Think about how well Gosford Park and later Downton Abbey balance their narrative. ...more
Bicky
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perfect, favorites
When, I was in my teens, I tried to read Georges Simenon but found him too slow. Today, I find the pace enchanting and Maigret's humanity uncommon.

Perhaps, because this is my first Maigret, I have been slightly overwhelmed but please try out Simenon. The praise he got from earlier generations of writers was justified. And if you are lucky enough to enjoy him then great satisfaction is to be had in that he wrote 75 Maigret novels along with other novels and short stories. Of course, I have no cl
Jez
May 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Simenon showing his love for the downtrodden working classes even more than usual in this one, and those who live on the fringes of criminality. And his attitude towards drug addiction here is pretty surprising.
The story is a mixture of straightforward and implausible, and he somehow manages to treat the female characters with disdain and compassion simultaneously, but I'm so comfortable with his style and in love with Maigret by this point (doing a read through of the series fairly quickly) tha
Jan C
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, mystery
Fairly quick read.

Simenon was faster than this reader. I didn't get it. Although all the clues were there.

Loved the locale ... how he just painted the portrait of this magnificent hotel, majestic if you will.

I've only read a couple of his books. Will have to look for more.
Pam
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Confession time: I never really read much Maigret. But I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. It was a perfect book to read on the beach.
Frederick
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've ever read by Georges Simenon and I have a feeling I'm going to be reading them all soon.
THE HOTEL MAJESTIC was published in 1942, but it seems to take place in a Paris which never heard of Hitler. I have not read about Simenon's life, but given the sympathy for underdogs this novel displays, I can't think the author was indifferent to the Nazi occupation of France. France had been occupied since 1940. Simenon's protagonist, Superintendent Maigret, had been around sin
Daniel
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short take:

The Maigret books often portray interesting corners of 1930s French society, and this installment follows suit by descending into the basement of a luxury hotel, where countless cooks, porters, maids and other staff attend to the needs of their guests. As usual, Simenon captures much with little prose and establishes the setting with sensual detail that reminded me of Orville’s “Down and Out in Paris and London.”

Once the mystery is introduced (a murder!), Maigret immerses himself i
John Frankham
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite Maigrets, as it shows the 'basement' workings of a grand hotel, in contrast to the luxury above, like the paddling of a swan below the serene top. When a rich American wife is found killed in the staff locker-room, Maigret investigates the results of the two worlds colliding.

The GR blurb:

''Try to imagine a guest, a wealthy woman, staying at the Majestic with her husband, her son, a nurse and a governess . . . In a suite that costs more than a thousand francs a day . . . At si
Madeline
Jul 03, 2020 added it
Shelves: just-fun
Working my way through the Maigret novels. This was a quick read but satisfying. Simenon excels in setting the mood for a story and letting the reader get to know the characters. One could feel the atmosphere of the cellars of the Paris Majestic Hotel and how far it was from the areas the guests knew and inhabited. The workers in the cellars lived their lives far from the luxury just above their heads but some of them yearned after a taste of that luxury. And they did whatever they could to grab ...more
Kb
One of the better ones. Because of the cast of characters Maigret has available to help him out at Quai des Orfèvres, we know that this case takes place sometime mid-career for Maigret. It is set in Paris, and there is no hint of organized crime, just petty, opportunistic criminals. Maigret’s investigation, in which he visits people in their home and work environments to interview them, is very comfortable and easy to follow. Two surprises: Maigret was able to accommodate a drug addict in his of ...more
Abbi
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having never read Simenon (I know, I know), I chose The Hotel Majestic to report on for the February meeting of my "Dinner Detectives" book group. If you love Poirot-type mysteries (indeed, Poirot was based on Maigret I've been told), you will fly through this. Loved the staccato style, no-nonsense writing and the way Maigret puts the pieces together. Unlike contemporary detective novels that seem written to ultimately become movie scripts, this one was written with succinct character developmen ...more
Thomas
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite Maigrets so far. A great plot and I would never have put it together, although the clues were there.

A great cast of characters and superb all the way through. I felt sorry for one but am happy with his resolution.

It was a but jarring reading that Maigret is living in his apartment as opposed to the Loire valley he moved to in the previous novel, maybe these books are standalone and not really a sequential series. Just assumed little details like that would be continuous.
Mats
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short, but good read. Simenon never disappoints - he is the Belgian version of Agatha Christie.
As has already been pointed out by others - nothing much happens in the Maigret books in terms of action. Simenon, like Christie, was fascinated by the human psyche, something that is very much reflected in his books. If you like smart crime written by smart people for smart people, you'll love this!
Andrew
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simenon just gets to the nub of the story with his perfect grasp of character, plot, settings & dialogue. No frilly literary pretensions but plenty of reality & truth. In this 20th Maigret Parisian police case, the dogged detective brings justice to all the flawed human beings he comes into contact with in a way that only enhances Maigret's reputation for accepting human follies as an essential part of seething humanity. Great read on a train journey! ...more
Suzanne Fournier
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Prosper Donge goes to work at the Hotel Majestic, and ends up finding a body in the employee locker room. Was Prosper there by coincidence? At first unlikely, Prosper it turns out has every reason to be guilty, but is he?

An interesting Maigret because from the beginning you know a crime has been committed by don't yet know what. The story begins with the daily routine of Prosper Donge with a running narrative of how the events being told factor into his statement later at the police station.
George
Apr 12, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A crime fiction novel where Chief Inspector Maigret is required to solve the murder of Mimi Clark. Mimi was married to a wealthy American, Oswald Clark. She was strangled and her body left in a basement locker at the Majestic Hotel in Paris. Oswald and Mimi Clark were guests at the hotel. The plot is quite complicated with a number of linked characters.

This book is the 21st in the Maigret series. First published in France in 1942.
Colleen Mertens
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book on the advice of the owner of one of my favorite bookstores(Thanks, Trevor). The story entertained and moved quickly. The action moved at a good pace and the ending wasn't predictable. The characters had pasts with more than met the eye and the chief inspector Maigret is one of my new favorite characters. Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Shawn
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the several Maigrets I've read, I think this is my favorite. Why read it in German you ask? I can't read it in French and the German translation reads very well and gives me a chance to do some very enjoyable light reading auf Deutsch (as the Neueschreibweise prescribes, with that new capital D). ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Drop & The List (Slough House Novella)
  • La briscola in cinque
  • The Main
  • Mapuche
  • È così che si uccide
  • Article 353 du code pénal
  • Indian Nocturne
  • The Oxford Murders
  • Minor Detail
  • About Schmidt (Schmidt, #1)
  • Die Nebelkrähe
  • Die zehnte Muse
  • Jealousy & In the Labyrinth
  • A Noël Killing (Verlaque and Bonnet #8)
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1: Hard Times
  • Dixie Road, Tome 1
  • Wilful Behaviour (Commissario Brunetti, #11)
  • Estrellas muertas
See top shelves…
Georges Joseph Christian Simenon (1903 – 1989) was a Belgian writer. A prolific author who published nearly 500 novels and numerous short works, Simenon is best known as the creator of the fictional detective Jules Maigret.
Although he never resided in Belgium after 1922, he remained a Belgian citizen throughout his life.

Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable

Inspector Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)

News & Interviews