Start by marking “The Dream Keeper and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Dream Keeper and Other Poems

The Dream Keeper and Other Poems

Illus. in black-and-white. This classic collection of poetry is available in a handsome new gift edition that includes seven additional poems written after The Dream Keeper was first published. In a larger format, featuring Brian Pinkney's scratchboard art on every spread, Hughes's inspirational message to young people is as relevant today as it was in 1932.
Published December 3rd 1996 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Keeper and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Keeper and Other Poems

Start your review of The Dream Keeper and Other Poems
leynes
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: black-writers
I finally managed to read some Langston Hughes. [insert my longest yeah boy ever here] Ever since I set the goal to seek out more diverse literature, Hughes has been on my radar. If you look up African-America poetry, he's the one to come up.

I thought it would be interesting to hear his thoughts, especially on race relations in the US, because he's from the older generation, being born in 1902, he was already in his 50s when shit hit the fan (which makes him 22 years older than James Baldwin, w
Jimmy
This book first appeared in 1932. It is still a great read for all ages today. Langston Hughes made a huge impact on my life because he was anthologized often in my literature books.

Here is a famous one:

"Dreams"

Hold onto dreams
For if dreams die
Life is like a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

There is often a simple beauty:

"Poem"

I loved my friend.
He went away from me.
There's nothing more to say.
The poem ends,
Soft
Justine
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought it was very confusing and barely knew what was going on throughout the whole book. But it was a pretty good book for poetry. It was very happy at some points and very dark at other points.
Kimber Carnahan
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eced-221
In "The Dream Keeper and Other Poems," Langston Hughes captures the reader's attention automatically with his delicate prose and imagery. Every poem is different, but all hold a link to a view of the African American culture that Hughes tried so hard to educate people about. Every poem is beautiful, some are funny, and some cause the reader to think. It's a great collection that I would highly recommend.
The book expands awareness of a culture and time that children today may not know much about.
Kayla
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite poetry book when I was little. I must have checked it out at least six times from my elementary school library. "Hold Fast to Dreams" was the first poem I had ever memorized (just called "Dreams" in this edition) and was asked to recite in front of my 3rd grade class. There are many poems in this collection that will always hold special memories for me (particularly those in the Dream Keeper section).

"Hold Fast to Dreams"

Cool face of the river
Asked me for a kiss.
Nicole
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of these poems are absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking or heart wrenching, just very moving. Some are just so sweet and lovely and others are without a doubt a good poem but not one that stirred me. My favorite section is Walkers with the Dawn.

If nothing else, the book is worth checking out based on the illustrations alone. They are absolutely beautiful. Some are stronger than others but I think it's more to go along with the poem it's accompanying rather than the piece itself.

Kallie Thompson
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT. Beautiful poems.
Tori Johnson
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In sixth grade, my teacher gave me The Dream Keeper and Other Poems. It was the first book of poetry I ever owned. It was the perfect first. Paperback, and easy to carry around in my backpack, or keep in the car. Full of rhythmic poems that pounded through my head. Metaphors, allusions, social commentary that I thought I understood. And each time I read it and understood more, I realized how much I did not know. It contains the first poem I ever read out loud, Alabama Earth. Still I can hear the ...more
Julie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ages ago, for a Black Writers class that I took in college. I recently saw an article in my alumni magazine about the professor I had for that class, John Wright, who recently retired. That got me thinking about all of the works we studied, and I focused most on Langston Hughes. I wrote a paper on this book and another, Montage of a Dream Deferred, and I really loved the experience, both reading the poems and writing the paper. It was very special to revisit Hughes' poetry with ...more
Rachael
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was good, and it was interesting to read the songs that the African Americans would sing, and how the author incorporated in some of the poems. I would recommend this book to people who like to read poems.
Mohamed  AL-saqqa
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow
Darlene
This is a nice collection of poetry that is suitable for middle-grade children. This collection was originally published in 1932, and this new 75th Anniversary Edition features illustrations by Brian Pinkney. I wasn't familiar with Hughes' work previously, and I enjoyed his simple poetic style where he clearly expresses his pride in his African-American heritage. There are also a number of poems written in the spirit of the blues. My favourite in this collection is this one, which I find very in ...more
Amy Layton
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
I can't believe I'd never read Langston Hughes before.  I mean, I must have somewhere, at some point, but not all at once like this.  Wow, what an amazing poet.  He uses so many different styles and rhymes and themes and symbols, it's honestly amazing.  He has a mind like no other, and it shows.  And Brian Pinkney's art, too!  What a perfect artist to accompany these poems.  Together, they make a powerful couple, helping to illuminate and describe each other.

This is a beautiful compilation tha
Cynda
For several years I have had been promising myself that I would read Langston Hughes. It has been too many years. Oh why did I wait?

Because this collection was intended for children, the poetry is accessible. Because it is great accessible poetry, the poetry can be understood and felt immediately.

Some of my favorites opin this collection:

"Dreams"
"Song for a Banjo Dance"
"Po' Boy Blues"
"Prayer"
"Mother to Son"
"Dream Dust"
"Color"

Now I will be promising myself my own copy of the book.
Becky
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Bring me all your dreams, You dreamers, Bring me all of your Heart melodies That I may wrap them In a blue cloud-cloth Away from the too-rough fingers Of the world.

Premise/plot: This is an anniversary edition of a collection of Langston Hughes poems originally published in 1932. It is illustrated by Brian Pinkney. The poems are divided into sections: The Dream Keeper, Sea Charm, Dressed Up, Feet o' Jesus, Walkers with the Dawn, and Additional Poems.

My thoughts: I didn't love al
Morgan
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This short (80 page) collection is a great selection for those who don't read a lot of poetry. Langston Hughes is a favorite poet of many because his poetry is so accessible (though many often overlook the subversive and political undertones of his writing). This would also be a great selection to give a young person who hasn't read much, or any, poetry.

Brian Pinkney illustrated this edition, and his drawings are beautifully rendered, capturing both the spirit of Hughes' poetry and the beauty i
707 Jared
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jared Ramos 707 The Dream Keeper by Langston Hughes

In my eyes the author a person who think of what other people wouldn't think of, Langston Hughes thinks what's about what's going to happen next,he doesn't think of the negative he thinks positive, Langston Hughes thinks outside the box.

The post-it I wrote said "the author is trying to say, there is always something larking right around the corner". I said that because the way that poem was written there was always something else right aft
Meg Stolte
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
Langston Hughes’ “The Dream Keeper and Other Poems” is a collection of poems expressing emotions and celebrating African American life. While some of the poems rhyme, many do not, so this would be a helpful collection to use when teaching older students the purpose of poems (which isn’t always just to rhyme!). I would likely use these poems with upper elementary, grades 3-6, to teach different aspects of imagery and metaphors. This could also be used in conjunction with social studies lessons ab ...more
Cara Byrne
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Hughes' first collection of poetry for young readers, he offers poems about the natural world, broken hearts, and quiet girls. It's a nice collection with brief poems that capture the subjects that Hughes was most invested in during the period, though with a subtler political edge. In this contemporary addition of Hughes' first picture book includes Pinkney's beautiful black and white relief illustrations, updating the original illustrations that largely presented adults with beautiful sketch ...more
ZaRi
Of the world.
Kateleen
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
***This review contains spoilers***
The book I’ll be writing about is The Dreams Keeper and other poems by Langston Hughes. This book is a series of poems and it focuses on the African American experience. I would rate this book five stars and definitely would recommend it to others who like poetry. The author talks about the African American experience very passionately and pridefully. For example, “Whereas the spirituals are often songs about escaping from trouble, going to heaven and living ha
Shannon (That's So Poe)
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This collection contains short poems intended for a young audience, with poems to inspire (often about dreams and aspirations), teach (often about resilience), and warn (often about the issues facing black youth). The style generally focused on short, simple verses that packed a punch, some of which were actually quite dark and serious, others of which were uplifting. I definitely enjoyed the poems, especially a few that spoke to my own experiences, although overall I think I was not the intende ...more
Camila Antigua Valdez
Poems reflect part of black history in America in a brief and light way. A perspective coming from civilians, not politics, leaders or professionals in technical or social studies. I liked the fact that the text was raw. Grammar rules where omitted, which I guess serves as representation of the will to write, despite the academic limitations, and also transports the reader to the time when the moment was lived or the feeling was felt.
Ptaylor
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Langston Hughes is one of my absolute favorite poets. I re-read this collection for a program series being presented at my library, and it was a joy to rediscover it. The collection is aimed at children, but I think it's appropriate for any age. Readers should be aware that a few of the poems are written in dialect. The illustrations by Brian Pinkney are a wonderful addition. Highly recommended.
Chris
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These poems are empowering and sweet. Short and to the point, or long and written like a gospel they are accompanied by illustrations that make the poems stand out more.
I think it'd be hard to find a poetry book that is bad, but I guess what lost a star for me is that the book felt more geared towards children.
Christy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read poems out of this book with my son for school, and while some were familiar most were new to me. I'm glad we took the time to read these and learn more about him and his work. I love how he can change subjects, and styles and voice - but they are all true to him and the time he wrote them in.
Elizabeth  Higginbotham
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is alway a pleasure to read Langston Hughes. It is a fitting act during this world crisis. Initially designed for young people, this book speaks to people of many ages. The illustration are wonderful.
I recalled many poems from my own younger years. Hughes really loved Black people and recognized their strengths and talents. I'm passing the book on to a young person.
df parizeau
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is so striking that these poems were meant to be shared with children. I wish more poets these days had the same passion for sharing themselves and their words with younger audiences that Hughes had.
Victoria Carter
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dreams was my favorite poem. So was Merry-Go Round, Song, and I, Too.

Langston Hughes was a great poet and his poems still touch souls today.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us
  • The Essential Gwendolyn Brooks
  • In a Jar
  • Journey to Jo'burg: A South African Story
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."