Start by marking “The Year of Lightning (Time Shift Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Year of Lightning (Time Shift Trilogy, #1)

The Year of Lightning

(Time Shift Trilogy #1)

When 15-year-old twins Malcolm and Valentine Gilbert moved to a new town, they never imagined that the old house across the street could bring them so much trouble. A secret machine has reawakened inside, with the power to pierce time itself.

Meanwhile, lightning storms are breaking out all over town. They’re getting worse every week, and seem to enjoy striking kids who jus
Published January 12th 2016 by Jolly Fish Press

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of Lightning

Start your review of The Year of Lightning (Time Shift Trilogy, #1)
Schizanthus Nerd
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I expect this review is going to show you why it is imperative to write your review, or at the very least some notes about how the book makes you feel, within a day of finishing the book. That way you’re not stuck trying to find the words to tell anyone who will listen what an incredible book it was that you finished reading almost seven weeks ago! So here goes …

I found The Year of Lightning sort of by accident. I was so interested in the blurb for Ryan Dalton’s The Genesis Flame that I couldn
Beth Cato
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, science, 2018
This YA novel reads like a smart Scooby Doo crew versus evil time traveling villains. Twins Malcom and Valentine have just moved to a new town--one that is being plagued by regular, vicious lightening storms. Their lives have been fractured by the recent death of their mother. With their father still deep in grief, they now live with their grandmother as they attempt to move on. They soon fall in with a wonderfully geeky group at school--with Valentine quickly finding a crush. But Malcom is havi ...more
Maryam Dinzly
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading The Year of Lighting was like angering Zeus. (For some reason, I can't find an angry Zeus gif. Only Poseidon or Hades. Boo.)

BUT YES. Imagine, lightning everywhere. I mean, a normal lightning on a stormy day is already scary enough. Imagine tons of lightning surrounding you. My God. I would legit cry. I mean, like WOAH. This book was just mindblowingly mindblowing. LIKE, BAM. BOOM. People actually DIE in this book. I'm sorry, but I honestly had the impression that this was a Hardy Boys ki
Mia Siegert
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to read an ARC as Ryan Dalton is one of my JFP buddies. :)

So, this is an interesting read for me as I'm a) not familiar with the genre, b) really not familiar with the genre, c) well, you get the point.

That said, it was a fun read, although in some parts it was confusing for me, which possibly is contributed to my unfamiliarity with the genre.

The theme of lightning was interesting, and the visuals accompanying it were reminiscent of Stephen King. I found myself almost disappoin
Gabriel Nobles
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are no spoilers here.

I'm not typically a YA reader because they are usually so focused on magic or romance. I took a chance on this one because the core elements of mixed science fiction and suspense suggested that I wouldn't have to deal with any Harry Potter/Vampire madness.

That proved to be true. (Sigh of relief)

I enjoyed the novel. Mr. Dalton gave his characters problems, flaws, and human stories, without miring the book down in them.

After an introduction to the emotionally scarred
Ivy
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a great sci-fi adventure for young readers and adults alike. This book features fun characters, time travel, evil villains, mystery, a ninja grandma and sci-fi references for the slick reader. In fact, this book reminded of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. Totally worth the read and then some.
Ruthsic
Year of Lightning straddles the line between fantasy and science fiction, in that the Gilbert twins discover that the strange meteorological occurrences happening in their new town are connected to this weird doorless house in their lane that no one notices. Now, I don't know why this blurb says they are 13 year olds or why it has been shelved as middle grade, for the twins are 15 year old high schoolers in this book, which definitely puts it in young-adult category. Anyway, moving on - both of ...more
Marquis Gentry
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is si-fi this book would be great for people that like action&adventure. I thought the book was good at first then in the middle it was really really boring and at the end it started to get better. Two twin siblings face off against an ancient evil in order to save the world When 13-year-old twins Malcolm and Valentine Gilbert moved to a new town, they never imagined that the old house across the street could bring them so much trouble. Meanwhile, lightning storms are breaking out all ...more
Dolly
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to read an advance copy of Ryan Dalton's The Year of Lightning. I haven't read many Young Adult books, but I've seen the movies made from some of them. Most of them don't have a good plot or characters that you actually care about. I kept thinking that THIS book should be a movie.

Mr. Dalton's writing is gripping and exciting. I love that time is spent at the beginning letting you get to know the characters before the adventure begins, especially since this is the first of three bo
Pages For Thoughts
The Year of Lightning did a good job at being unpredictable. I was surprised at many of the major events that happened. This book had a lot of mystery elements to it. This is one of very few mystery books that I have read that I could not guess what is going to happen. I was on the edge of my seat. There is so much action and adventure. As you progress to the end, there are more fights, drama and surprise. The plot speed was perfect. It started slow and then gradually got faster until the climax ...more
Burton
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Year of Lightning is, in my opinion, a mix of sci-fi and real life struggles. The characters in this book, although put on an amazing adventure, are just normal teenagers. They have everyday concerns, whether how they look or relationship issues, as teenagers would.

The sci-fi aspect surprisingly is believable to anyone with a knowledge of real-world science. This book would be enjoyable for any age group, not just Young Adult.
Marles
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Year of Lightning by Ryan Dalton is awesome! I've read many science fiction books, but this is BY FAR the most imaginative, entertaining and "I can't put it down" story that I've read.

If you're tired of reading books with no imagination, and that feel like the author just ran out of ideas, this book is a MUST READ!
Kimberly Sabatini
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-ya
The Year of Lightning had lots of hidden surprises--exciting world building, emotional depth, romance, humor, die-hard friendships, science and even some kick butt fighting. It was a very fun read and I absolutely can't wait to see what Dalton does next.
Kayla
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Year of Lighting is the perfect way to start out the 2016 year!
MJ2
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun YA book. The protagonists, 15 year old twins Mal and Val, are coping with the normal troubles of teens in a new town and a new school as well as some specific family circumstances that are not revealed right away. On top of it all, there is something fishy about the creepy house next door and the weather of their town, so the twins and their small group of friends set out to investigate.

Check it out!
Duncan Rittschof
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Longer review pending on www.duncansbooksandmore.com ...more
Harker
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

This book started out slowly for me. The premise sounded like something I would be interested in, so of course I jumped at the chance to read it. Once I settled down to read it, though, I had some issues getting to the real meat of the story. The first 25% of the story was fine, but there was something about the pacing that made me feel like it was taking forever to get to the plot. I wanted to keep reading, but I wasn't enormously excited anymore.

Once Malcolm began actively loo
Annalisse
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

The Year of Lightning by Ryan Dalton, the first book in the Time Shift Trilogy, finds siblings Malcolm and Valentine starting over in a new town, at a new school, trying to keep to themselves as much as possible. They discover a close group of friends in Fred, Winter, and John but life as they know it unravels as dangerous storms threaten to destroy their home.

I really enjoyed the interaction between the young and old in this book. The connections forged by Malcolm and his next door n
Rachel
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With complex characters who each have unique strengths and flaws and an exciting mystery that grabs you and pulls you along for the ride, this is a fabulous sci-fi adventure for young readers and adults alike. The little sci-fi/pop culture references sprinkled throughout add another layer of fun. I can't wait for the next book in the trilogy!
Michel Sizaire
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to reading the next novel in this series
Ryan Boros
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hall-of-shame
Time traveler references
Meddling kids and ineffective adults
Unsatisfying answers

I wanted to like this book. The first 1/3rd is interesting. However when the mysteries start to resolve themselves, the big flaws appear. To me, its interesting what the breaking point is when the story turns to being unbelievable. I like fantasy, so I know that I'll accept outrageous things like time travel going in. But whatever fantastic things are happening in the plot, the characters have to make sense. I had th
Amber Barlow
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The story starts out with a set of twins entering 9th grade as new kids to a new town. I read a few chapters and thought about not continuing. I believed the book to be more young adult orientated but the writing felt it was more for middle schoolers; despite the age of the characters. The author first introduces the characters and define Valentine as a "science" geek and Malcolm as a "history geek". Spoiler alert: besides him reading books about history (that I don't read myself as a history te ...more
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Personal Rating: 3.75 Stars

I won this book from a Q&A on Twitter. Ryan Dalton seems like an awesome person and I've enjoyed what interaction we have had, but I'm separating my thoughts about the author from my thoughts of the book. It took me way longer than I like to admit to start reading it (I was in grad school, so I didn't do much personal reading). I don't normally read YA, so I think that held back my enjoyment of this book a little bit, but overall I did enjoy it
Ginny
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, What a fun read! I love time travel books, and this series takes an interesting angle on it.
It’s hard to remember that the kids are only 15. They do act older. I was surprised at the number of fight scenes, and the detail. It didn’t bother me; I just thought it was odd.
After the halfway point, it got better and better until I couldn’t put it down! Good ending.
Jennie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
A great read for 80% of the book with a build up of suspense and sufficient detail to make science fiction elements, time travel and impending doom convincing. However, the climax deteriorates into an aggressive free for all that lacks credibility and, even with the 'rings' to provide extra power, resulted in a disappointing resolution.
Spiryt Mc
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun and well written sci fi! I loved the characters and the excitement! Time travel is of one my favorite topics so I loved how it was incorporated into this story! Can’t wait to read the rest of the series!
James Sabata
Feb 09, 2016
Subhajit Das
Nov 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Grieving the Child I Never Knew: A Devotional for Comfort in the Loss of Your Unborn or Newly Born Child
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • The Fire Within (Elemental Academy #1)
  • Magic In Disguise (Agents of A.S.S.E.T. #3)
  • A Weapon of Magical Destruction (Agents of A.S.S.E.T. #1)
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1)

Time Shift Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Black Tempest (Time Shift Trilogy, #2)
  • The Genesis Flame (Time Shift Trilogy, #3)