Start by marking “Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)

Reign of Shadows

(Reign of Shadows #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  5,858 ratings  ·  1,178 reviews
Seventeen years ago, an eclipse cloaked the kingdom of Relhok in perpetual darkness. In the chaos, an evil chancellor murdered the king and queen and seized their throne. Luna, Relhok’s lost princess, has been hiding in a tower ever since. Luna’s survival depends on the world believing she is dead.

But that doesn’t stop Luna from wanting more. When she meets Fow
Published February 9th 2016 by Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about Reign of Shadows, please sign up.
Ping It is Fantasy, so there are creatures and a world you do not have in real life, but noone in the book seemed to have magic powers (can throw fire…moreIt is Fantasy, so there are creatures and a world you do not have in real life, but noone in the book seemed to have magic powers (can throw fire balls or freeze time etc.)(less)
Jessica The author said that the dark dwellers were inspired by moles. Once I found that out, an image of them became much clearer.
YA Novels of 2016
1,124 books — 9,699 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,309 books — 6,921 voters

More lists with this book...

·  5,858 ratings  ·  1,178 reviews

Start your review of Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
He was naked.

I inhaled his scent and it was stronger, proof that not a stitch of clothing covered his body. The salt and musk of his skin hit me sharper than before—and something else. Another scent that was indecipherable to me. I felt it as much as I smelled it. It was raw and deep and visceral. My skin almost ached from the presence of it, pulling tight and breaking out into gooseflesh. My stomach knotted like a thousand butterflies were rioting inside me.
This book is a retelling of Rapunzel, the dif
Emily May
DNF - 35%

I just can't seem to make myself interested in this book. I know if I keep reading I will end up writing another 1-star review - so, really, why bother?

In case you didn't know, Reign of Shadows is a retelling of Rapunzel. It makes some very basic moves towards interesting concepts, such as a world completely in darkness and the fact that the protagonist is (view spoiler), but at 35% in, it still hasn't started to explore the
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Ye gods. I had difficulty with REIGN OF SHADOWS from almost the very first page.

There were issues of clarity:

From high in my perch, I listened. My hearing had long adapted to the darkness.

What does that mean?

Even knowing that Luna lived in a world covered with darkness (b/c seventeen-year eclipse), this gave me pause . . . Eyes adapt to darkness, but ears?

But before too long, I gathered we weren't talking about normal adaptations. We were talking about Daredevil-like adaptations (<------I see what you did therclarity:
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Disclaimer: It has one spoiler which I feel the need to say cause I'm going to rant about it. I'm going to rant about it openly.

Just one question?
Was this supposed to be a full length novel?

Because I don't know about you but reading 300 pages of nothing is not my cuppa. But back to that in a sec.

Have any of you guys ever watched the movie Pitch Black?(On another note, if you haven't you should see it. Really good and Vin Diesel's hawt) Well, this really reminded me of it. Seriously, the similarities are there.
➲Pitch blacquestion?

“This tower isn’t my fate.”

This was an interesting YA fantasy, with a couple of twists that made it a little more special.

Luna was a strong character, and the way she coped with her disability was admirable, if maybe a little unrealistic? (view spoiler) ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
The only reason I want to read the second book is because of the wolf dog let's be real
Alyssa
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
EDIT (12/17/15) -- Confirmed: Two-book series!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan
Book One of the Reign of Shadows series
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 9, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Seventeen years ago, an eclipse
Nastassja
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of ya fantasy and Sophie Jordan

This review is going to be controversial, because I really don't know whether to recommend this book or not. If you read any books by Sophie Jordan, you know her talent is hit or miss kind: you never know whether you will love or hate her book. She writes historical romance, new adult, young adult books, and some of them are really good. But if we separate other genres and leave only young adult for evaluation, we'll notice that it is not her strongest side (I know, because I read all of her ya books). Let's find ou

megs_bookrack
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
**3.5-stars rounded up**

(where are our half stars, Goodreads?)

This was a good book IMO. A fun, fast-paced, easy read. I made the mistake of reading the reviews before I started it, which I generally try to avoid, and kept waiting for the terribleness to set it.

It didn't for me. I had fun reading this and am not ashamed to admit it. Granted, I didn't go into it expecting Pulitzer Prize for Fiction quality so maybe that helped.

This is a retelli
Trina (Between Chapters)
Having previously read and enjoyed Uninvited by Sophie Jordan, I was anticipating this upcoming title by her and was thrilled to receive an ARC. I'm not sure why it was sent to me, possibly I entered a giveaway that I forgot about? My opinion on the material of the book was in no way swayed by receiving the ARC copy.

I'm very pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book! There wasn't a single thing I didn't like about it. So far it's my second favorite read of the year. I would definitel
Aditi
“Real love ought to be more like a tree and less like a flower”

----Mya Robarts

Sophie Jordan, the New York Times bestselling author, has penned a young adult fantasy series called, Reign of Shadows and the first book in the series with the same name is a modern-retelling of the most popular childhood fairy tale, Rapunzel. This story revolves around a teenage heroine who is an orphan royal princess, protected and sheltered by two caring and loyal couple in an abandoned and hidden tower, but this t
Stacee
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I really liked the premise of this and was quite eager to read it.

Love love loved Luna and Fowler. They're both strong and compliment each other so well. They both have secrets and it's interesting seeing the decisions because of them. Reading their relationship develop in the crazy world they're in was captivating.

There are a lot of interesting components to the story. While it didn't feel like we got the full background to the world building or what was happening, it is
Aila
This review can be found on One Way Or An Author!

I was provided an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Harper Collins and Edelweiss!

As always, I am sweeped in by fairy tale retellings. This time we have a story loosely based on Rapunzel, where our main character Luna lives in a world where light is only shown for a couple of hours, leaving it dark the rest of the time. Monsters called “dwellers” plague the area and are predators to the humans. Luna is kept safe in a tower, but from the beginni
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Originally posted on Super Space Chick:

Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan is the first book in a series (it’s unconfirmed whether it’s a duology / trilogy or other but it feels like a duology) that is heavily inspired by Rapunzel. I hadn’t originally planned on reading this one until I read positive pre-publication reviews and then the closer I looked at the cover the more I fell in love with it. And of course, once I found out the Rapunzel aspect I couldn’t wait another minute for it! The sto
Joanna (joreadsalot)
Updated Review 04/22/16:

This time around I decided to give the audiobook a try and I really enjoyed it. I think I may have enjoyed it more . The narrators, Phoebe Strole and James Fouhey, played Luna and Fowler perfectly. With them at the helm I didn't find the beginning so sluggish and the voices for each character was more clearly defined. I remember that being my biggest pet peeve when I came across the first chapter dedicated to Fowler. I couldn't discern that it wasn't only his voice in tha
Colleen Houck
Awesome world building and a swoony hero. What's not to like? Really love Luna and her take on how the world works. Really creeped out by those eel things and biting carp! Shudder. Can't wait for book two.
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sites
I want to thank Harper Teen for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

I really love Sophie Jordan and her writing. She has yet to write something I don't adore. So of course this is no different! And I love a good fantasy. This one presents a very unique world where people live in darkness and in fear of the monsters that lurk.

I will say this story definitely started
Angie Elle
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and HarperTeen for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

One of my goals this year was to step out of my reading comfort zone. While I know I enjoy YA, I am still getting my feet wet with the fantasy genre. I think this was a step in the right direction; Reign of Shadows was a pleasant surprise for me.

As a rule, I’m not a fan of first person dual POV. The switch is sometimes confusing and even in this one, there were times when I had to scro
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
3.5 out of 5 stars!

This book... has left me feeling very conflicted over how to rate it. But deciding to settle on 3.5 for a number of factors that I will be sharing in this review! Luna is the princess of a kingdom which her parents (the King and Queen) were killed and she sent away into hiding up in an old tower and out of the public eye. She wants more freedom and on exploring the surrounding area, she meets Fowler who holds secrets of his own and is an archer. Both get to know ea
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
I feel as if my opinion has been influenced by another review. Maybe my opinion wouldn't have been so strong, but here i am.

The story is quite unlikely. Luna has lived all her life in a tower with her protectors. She is blind. And since she was born, she world has been plunged in darkness for 23 hours a day, which is physically impossible, i believe. Anyway, at night, creatures come out.

I don't think i can continue talking about it, i need a new fix of Too good to be true books. Frankly,
Cassie-la
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: http://bibliomantics.com/2016/03/28/t...

A wholly originally Rapunzel retelling, I was initially drawn to Reign of Shadows because the cover is beyond amazing. I mean, how could you not love it?

Reign of Shadows is set in a world plunged into almost complete darkness because of a total eclipse of the heart that took place 17 years ago. With the eclipse came the rise of the dark dwellers, a race of underground humanoid creatures with poor eyesight, but a great sense of smell and an unholy blood lust. Think if the monsters from The/>Reign
Devin
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Two stars.

There were many things I liked about this book, such as the unique world. The world is set in a constantly dark world due to an eclipse that has lasted for 17 years. There are dark creatures that roam the land, and every day is a fight for survival. I liked the writing style of the author, mostly because of the use of description when writing about smells, feelings, warmth and cooking. Plus, this is a Rapunzel retelling, and who doesn't love a retelling?

However,
nick
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

reign

All images courtesy of Pinterest.

TOUGH BLIND PRINCESS
GRUFF SEXY ARCHER
SLOW-BURN ANTAGONISTIC ROMANCE
A WHOLE LOT OF SHIPPING
AND THEN DYING BECAUSE HOLY CLIFFHANGER!

I've had ups and downs with Sophie Jordan's books in the past. After her Uninvited duology ended in a way that I wasn't happy about, I was a little hesitant to pick up anything else by her. But when the cover and summary for Reign of Shadows released, I had a hard time being able to not resist the story. I mean it is a story about a blind princess hiding in a tower after all!  How could I even resist that?

Our lost princess, Luna, was a fiercethat?
Our

reign

All images courtesy of Pinterest.

TOUGH BLIND PRINCESS
GRUFF SEXY ARCHER
SLOW-BURN ANTAGONISTIC ROMANCE
A WHOLE LOT OF SHIPPING
AND THEN DYING BECAUSE HOLY CLIFFHANGER!

Our lost princess, Luna, was a fierce, strong and tenacious character who refused to let her blindness get in the way of what she wanted. I respected and admired that about her very much. She was as capable of doing things as anyone with normal sight was and I loved that she had worked hard to actually get there. I also loved that Luna was a character who grew throughout the story. Sure she started off as an already strong character, but throughout Reign of Shadows she matured into an even more intelligent, caring and selfless young woman. Her character growth was undeniably amazing. Reign of Shadows was also told in the dual POV of Fowler, an archer who wound up having to aid Luna as her tower was attacked. I wasn't sure what to make of Fowler at the beginning. He was rough around the edges, reserved and came across as cold at times. But throughout the book, he slowly peeled the layers to his brusque exterior and allowed readers to see the truly golden heart he possessed. By the end, there was no doubt that I was madly in love with Fowler and his protectiveness and kindness.

My favorite part about Reign of Shadows was the romance. I know from having read previous books by the author that she is incredibly talented at writing stunning romances that make you feel with every fiber of your being. I personally think the romance between Luna and Fowler in Reign of Shadows was Sophie Jordan's best yet. I shipped Luna and Fowler so much, I just needed them to have their HEA. Theirs was a romance that slowly built up over the course of the book - there was nothing instant about it. They were initially wary of each other, but in the process of overcoming all sorts of obstacles, the two of them, grew to trust each other and ultimately fell for each other. They had a lot of chemistry which was so palpable all throughout, especially during the swoony kissing scenes.

In terms of the world building, there was just enough for me to be satisfied but I'm hoping that readers get a clearer picture of Relhok, its past and how the eclipse cloaked it in darkness in the next book. There's a ton of potential for the sequel and I'm excited for all the possibilities. I'll admit that Reign of Shadows wasn't extremely plot-driven. In fact, the whole book felt like it was a set-up for the sequel, where the plot will hopefully come more into focus, but I wasn't bothered by it because the book still managed to be entertaining from start to finish because of the characters and Sophie Jordan's addictive writing.

Reign of Shadows was a success in my boat and I'm truly excited to see where the story heads to next, especially with that evil (EVIL) cliffhanger. I'd recommend this one if you're looking for a romance-driven YA fantasy book with a super swoony romance and loveable characters.

Padi Gl
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Einfach großartig ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Isaa Jason
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED. THIS. BOOK.
Like wth, why is no one talking about this? Guys, i even loved the freaking romance!
This is also a bit darker then any another YA fantasy. Which i loved. If the second and final book is also this good, then that means that this series can end up on my favorite’s :p

A full review to come!
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review

MY THOUGHTS
Going into this book, I didn't know what to expect. I've disliked books and enjoyed books by this author. The Firelight trilogy was meh to me, but I enjoyed Uninvited (the sequel is another story). I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I really liked it and I was close to giving it a full 5 stars!

Ever since darkness fell across her kingdo/>
mith
Ouch, two months to read. Whoops.
So I was under the impression this was a standalone, but apparently it isn't?? Not with that ending at least?
Torn about how I feel about this book, so it's at a 3 right now. Wasn't too impressed, but it didn't bore me. So that's something

To like the cover or to not?
I mean... I guess it's okay?
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
I liked this... it was dark. And the writing was good, but I'll admit it was missing something for me. That said, I definitely want to see what happens in the next book. Especially after that ending.
Kristi
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
WHAAAAAAAT!?!?! Knew I would enjoy this one, can't go wrong with Sophie Jordan. Need the next one already!

• The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
  • The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • Assassin's Heart (Assassin's Heart, #1)
  • Evermore (Everless, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. Afte

Reign of Shadows (2 books)
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
“The world was a merciless place. Hard and cruel. Except when you found someone to trust and love. Life, however fleeting, possessed meaning then.” 16 likes
“Hope is all there is. All we have. And love. Or what's the point of any of it?” 12 likes