Start by marking “An Old-Fashioned Girl” as Want to Read:
An Old-Fashioned Girl

An Old-Fashioned Girl

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  437 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Country girl Patience knows she can't be more different that the sort of women Julius van der Beek attracts. She is attracted to him but has little hope with glamorous Sylvia van Teule at his side. Reissue.
Published September 1st 2003 by Harlequin (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about An Old-Fashioned Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Old-Fashioned Girl

Pamela Shropshire
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Patience Martin is a trained stenographer and typist, but she lives with her two aunts in a Norfolk village. The aunts have fallen on hard times and on their solicitor’s advice, are renting out the family home while living in a smaller, cheaper house in the village (á la Sir Walter Elliot in Persuasion). The home is rented by an RDD who is writing a book on surgery, Julius van der Beek. The solicitor also suggests that Mr. van der Beek hire a “general factotum” to basically shield him from the o ...more
Heather
Someone should organize the Betty Neels tour of England. The tour would go to all the random villages mentioned in these books and at each stop there would be a book discussion of which story was set in that town and which handsome Dutch doctor saved the day and whether or not the faithful family retainer was named Potts or Trottie.
Susan in NC
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
Always a favorite quick reread - whenever I'm between books and can't decide what to read next, Betty Neels is comfort food for my brain! Gentle, sweet, lovely stories, happy ending guaranteed, that never fail to make me smile.
Fiona Marsden
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the later books by Betty Neels with a heroine in impoverished circumstances rather than the nurses of her early books.

Patience is the carer for her two elderly great-aunts. Unlike some of Betty's more downtrodden heroines, they are lovely and treat her kindly although they do consider her plain and unlikely to marry. Unfortunately they have suffered financial reverses and have been forced to rent out their lovely home in a small English village and move to a tiny terrace house to
Jojo
May 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I remember buying this when I was 14ish because I had so liked The Girl with Green Eyes a couple years before. I very vaguely remember reading it once and not being terribly enamored of it, so I was not all nostalgic about it when I found it again.

After rereading The Girl with Green Eyes and liking it approximately a million times less than I did when I was younger, for some reason I thought that rereading this one also would be a good idea.

Things didn't turn out so bad as they might have thou
Poonam
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the first book by Betty Neels that I have read that does not involve the typical hospital romance. The H is a dutch doctor but the h is first a house-helper then a secretary and finally a nanny.

A very sweet romance that starts in a small English village and then travels to Holland.
I loved everything about the h including her name (Patience). One thing I remember noticing is that I did not realize the H's name is Julius to about 50% of the book as he was always addressed by his Last Name.
Olly
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: betty-neels
Julius Van der Beek yang ahli bedah itu akhirnya menemukan tandingannya. Tak lain dan tak bukan adalah Patience Martin, gadis yang sehari-hari bekerja membantu mengurus rumahnya, dan memastikan Julius terbebas dari gangguan sekitar. Tapi justru gadis itu sendiri yang mengganggu pikiran Julius.
Padahal Patience hanyalah gadis kampung yang punya selera pakaian yang buruk, bertubuh mungil tetapi sama sekali tidak langsing, sama sekali tidak cantik, tapi sanggup menghadirkan makanan di saat tidak ada
Amanda
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My grandma introduced me to Betty Neels and I totally love her books. If you like quick simple love stories that are totally clean then these are the books for that. Its like reading an L.M. Montgomery book or Sarah Plain and Tall. They are all about the same but a little different and very quick fun easy reads. Most of them are about people that are in the medical field but you don't have to be in the medical field to enjoy it. She is definitely a favorite with me now.
Clare
I enjoyed this book as much as I've enjoyed her other books, I thought the male character was a bit moodier and sullen than usual and I can't blame the female character calling him a spoilt brat lol but I did like the female character she was strong.
Dawn
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've read almost aall of her books. They are an easy read and very sweet.
Natalie
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet old school romance. I appreciate a clean sweet romance. It was perfect for the mood I was in today. I think I may see what else my library has by this author for days like today.
Macthekit
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I love Betty! I used to buy them for my Nan at 2nd hand stores then I started reading them too, so sweet and wholesome :) And I LOVE her descriptions of food lol everything with lashings of cream!
Anna
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A better than usual Betty Neels. The characters are the same small mousy heroine, big handsome Dutch doctor. This heroine has some sass though, and there is actual courtship involved.
Helen Manning
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good solid read from TGB. Patience is our poor British heroine. Working to keep her two elderly aunts above the poverty line and in the genteel life they have long enjoyed. Tart tongued and opinionated she begins working with our RDD Julius van der Beek and he doesn't know what hit him. It is amusing how steadfastly he pushes her away all the while she is insinuating herself into his mind and heart. A little jumbled; TGB fits almost all of her plot jags in this one but still a fun time.
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5. I found Betty Neels when I was looking for more wholesome romance novels. And this book is very clean. Some of the ideas would strongly irritate a modern female (including this one) but I chose to just accept the character for the time period and circumstances surrounding her. Thus, this book became a pleasant read.
Carolyn
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good solid romance. Very clean. The men in Betty Neels stories are all so very controlling and the women so mousey. You always know how the woman feels but the man is so cold and austere - it leaves it lacking.
Susan Newman
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE her books. I have read all of her books (on my Kindle). They are sweet and old-fashioned.
E_bookpushers
Another sweet classic
Deb
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Had heard ofthis English, Mills and Boon, best selling author and read this on a whim. Cute, but very old-school.
Karla
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
A perfectly fine romance, if a bit dull. The hero is also a bit too controlling for my taste. Definitely a clean read. 2.5 stars.
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Betty Neels heroines with spirit!
Erica Matthews
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - I like all Betty Neels books.
Megzy
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable quick read by Betty Neels.

Cindy Williams
Oct 24, 2011 marked it as to-read
I absolutely adored this book. I love books written in this era.
Mudpie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was written in the 70s because my copy of e-book was copyrighted 2012. As per Goodreads it's written in 2003!! It sure is an old fashioned book, but in a good way! The phrase " old is gold" comes to mind with Betty Neels books. I have only read one of hers way back in the early 2000s but was not impressed. Indeed my younger self would have found this too slow and boring!

Now it's a different story. I loved reading about the English countryside and London city settings. Even Ho
Monique E. Lacroix
Yummy

You know the end, but not the how, always a bit surprising. I enjoy Betty Neels books enormously. Kind of predictable but fun
Marybelle
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. I really enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was how the author built up slowly toward Julius discovering he was in love with Patience, but the reader never see thes point of realization. Unless they are really looking for it. The reader sees Patience realization of how she loves Julius’ is well hidden and so subtle that it is easy to miss. It was only during this second reading that I picked up on it. Otherwise it was an enjoyable afternoon read still worth revisiting in th ...more
Sofia Tirabassi
May 02, 2015
Janani Srinivasan
Jun 07, 2013
  • House of Mirrors
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Gallant Waif
  • The Tender Stranger (Soldiers of Fortune, #2)
  • Temporary Wife
  • The Millionaire's Marriage
  • Playing the Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)
  • Land of Dreams
  • Love's Legacy
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Bedded by Blackmail
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • The Sister Swap
  • A Treacherous Seduction - Sebening Kristal (Sweet Revenge/Seduction, #3)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
  • Visibly Broken
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • With This Ring (Vanza, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Hell Breaks Loose
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Letters (Rose Harbor #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
  • 99 Days
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Royal Games (The Royals of Monterra, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Royal Chase (The Royals of Monterra)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99