Start by marking “The Tethering (The Tethering, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tethering (The Tethering, #1)

The Tethering

(The Tethering #1)

All sixteen-year-old Jacob Evans wants is to win the heart of Emilia Gray, but with order in the magical world crumbling, war threatening, and Emilia’s boyfriend living across the hall, he may never have the chance.

Jacob Evans loses everything he has ever known and is tossed into a world of magic. The Dragons, a group of rebel wizards, are threatening to expose
Published January 31st 2015 by Silence in the Library Publishing (first published October 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Tethering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tethering

Start your review of The Tethering (The Tethering, #1)
Belinda
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gelezen-2019
4 stars - English Ebook 🦋🦋🦋
I think what crawl ounder my skin was Dexter. I do not know why Emilia is with him. The character Jacob of is more suiting for her. Well written. You slide into the world of Emilia and Jacob. Liked the read. 🌹🌹🌹
Christopher Russell
To be fair, the author is my wife. That being said, I was (and still am) her front line editor for this series, and yet, this book is still one of my favorite reads. Megan has a writing style and voice that are very unique and wonderfully inventive. Childlike in wonder at times yet full of a wisdom and maturity beyond her years at others. I highly recommend this book. And I know that some will think that I'm biased, but Megan and I are each others biggest critics (because we have to be). And I t ...more
Maria
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
That was a poor mash-up between Harry Potter and the Shadowhunters, with some poorly executed bonding à la Sarah J. Maas, and I'm so tired of the same old tropes in YA, I feel like I'm growing out of those books. It's becoming harder to find something that can surprise me pleasantly with an original twist to the known stories at this point.

We have spellcasting, of course the spells have names and the male lead uses a wand (HP). There's a rift in the magical society with some wanting
Courtney Whittamore- The Moral of our Stories
Official Review: The Tethering by Megan O’Russell
By Courtney Whittamore
Imagine that while living a very menial life at best, your entire life is interrupted by a world you thought only existed in books of legend. Further, imagine that you are told that you yourself are a part of this mystical world, and have the chance to be whisked away to the realms of all things unbelievable so that you may become a part of the grand scheme of a race that has been suspect of existence for centurie
Mersadie Harvey
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my interest until the very end. I had question that needed to be answered and was worried because there was so little book left to read. However O'Russell did a wonderful job tying up the ending but still leaving the reader wants more! Overall very well written and definitely on my recommendations list!
Kath
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written tale that builds a great story arc. I found a new author to follow!
Tracie King
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!!

Great read with lots of twists and turns. A must if you like adventure and suspense!! Would recommend for any age.
Lacarranza
Boring

Sorry but this was just incredibly boring. Characters were 2d and uninteresting. Plot was ok just overall lackluster. Nothing said “keep reading me..” though I trudged through to the end. No book 2 for me sorry
Mia
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
THIS REVIEW WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED ON MIAINNARNIA.BLOGSPOT.CO.UK

THIS BOOK WAS PROVIDED TO ME FOR FREE IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOES NOT EFFECT MY OPINION IN ANY WAY.

3.5/5 STARS

The Tethering isn't a book I probably would have picked up on my own (the only reason I read it was because I'm part of a blog tour for the second book in June), and having heard nothing about it I really didn't know what to expect when I started. Luckily I ended up quite enjoying it.

At just
Nathan Smith
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tethering is the first effort from author Megan O'Russell and what an effort it was! The plot of the book revolves around a sixteen-year-old boy named Jacob Evans who unexpectedly finds himself thrust into a hidden world of magic that is on the brink of collapsing into disorder. To make matters worse for Jacob, his best friend, Emilia Grey, whom Jacob has a not-so-secret love for, is part of the magical world and becomes involved in the conflict in an unexpected way.
Speaking of unexpec
Karen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It wants to be Harry Potter and The Magicians, but falls short on world building and character development.
Susanne Matthews
I was given the opportunity to read this absolutely incredible and entertaining novel prior to its release and I enjoyed every minute of it.Ms O'Russell crafts a wonderful tale of magic combined with events in the life of a boy, unsure about his place in the world and his future. The angst he feels is easily to appreciate and I empathized with him. Life hadn't been kind to Jacob, and discovering his new gift hasn't made it any easier--and then to see the girl he cares about involved with someone ...more
Vincent Morrone
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book!

Such a wonderful story. Jacob is a young man that you just wish you could rescue. Watching him find his place in his new family was magical. Author Megan O'Russell does an exemplary job at building a believable world and her characters of Jacob & Emilia as well the supporting cast.

This book did remind me of Harry Potter, an unloved boy who finds out he's supposed to be part of a magical world, but the story and story telling is completely original.

I
Rebecca
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't feel complete

I was enjoying the world and the characters but then the book ended feeling like more was opened than was resolved. This kept it from being a satisfying read for me and caused the low rating. If you don't care if a book works on its own, you will probably like it far more.
James Murphy
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
For a YA fantasy novel, "The Tethering" is a real humdinger! Good-hearted heroes, dastardly villains, high-octane action, and plenty of magic to keep things interesting. Makes me wonder what Megan O'Russell has put together for "The Siren's Realm," the next book in this series.
Tanya Spackman
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, ya
VERY engaging. I was hooked in the first few pages, and when it ended I was hungry for more.
Janine Spendlove
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, ya-lit
LOVED IT! Very much shades of Harry Potter, but definitely it's own unique story. I really REALLY enjoyed it!
Mike Brannick
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It similarities to Harry Potter, though it certainly isn't the same story. A young loner finds out he is a wizard and is taken to a place where he can learn to use his powers. I started to empathize with him immediately becoming interested in his story. The characters are well developed, there is a good amount of action and enough magic to keep it interesting. It looks like the beginning of a good series.
Philharding
This is not really a teen/YA book. It is more on a preteen level. The intellectual level of the writing made it difficult to read and left me totally unsatisfied. Everything from the characters, the setting and the plotting are at best shallow and derivative. This is not a story about magic, it is a story using magic as a thin excuse to move the plot along. Those are several hours I will never get back and I miss them already.
Jenny
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am far from being a young adult, alas, but still thoroughly enjoyed this book. All 'young boy has magic abilities' books now seem to have a whiff of Harry Potter, and this does have that, but it is sufficiently different to be able to stand on its own, and it does do that. The characters are interesting, the plot well developed and, although it is not a hugely long book, the scene is set well. Suffice to say I wish the next book was out already so that I could move straight on to it!
Dana Wood
Oct 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My issue...:the boy contains magic and displays it but the magical community doesn’t swoop in and take him under their wing. No. They abandon him to see if he can do it again?!?!? Then they invite him to be a part of this fable-like life and then they want him to save them all. And mix in a girl and her evil father and boyfriend. It’s disappointing story.
Scotts Kindle
Good read

If you like magical fantasy this is the book for you. A hidden world that could even exist now. This book late the ground work for this story. I didn't like the flow but that could be more me than the author.
Steve
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love a magical adventure

Emilia and Jacob make an unusual pair and Dexter a dislikable third wheel. Well developed characters and tense action kept me turning pages. A very enjoyable read.
Kira Brighton
*Received free e-copy via BookBub*
Jessica
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book

I love this story but hate that Emilia no clarify what she feels for jacob. Jacob loves Emily's always been and she needs to recognize that.v
Dschaper54
Super read

I truly enjoyed reading this book. The characters were well developed and the storyline is really interesting. You’ve got to read this YA book.
Donnetta Wheeler
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My heart ached for Jacob, from start to finish.
steen
Sep 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this. This is an overdone story told through clichés wrapped in a bland writing style.
Rita
To finish the story, you must read the second book.
J.K. Norry
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Megan O’Russell’s ‘The Tethering’ is an introduction to a tale that promises to be more compelling and interesting as it unfolds, while standing on its own as an exciting and magical tale in modern day.
Jacob is used to being alone, but that doesn’t mean he likes it. With his mother long gone and his father almost entirely absent from his life, it is not parenting or guidance that Jacob needs to grow into the man he sees within himself. What he needs is love; he finds it in Emilia, a beautiful a

• Gathering Water (Gathering Water, #1)
  • Awaken (Awakened Fate #1)
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
  • Highland Healer (Highland Healer #1)
  • Crossroads of Bones (Katie Bishop, #1)
  • Beneath
  • Summer Magic (Thorne Witches, #1)
  • The Vampire's Last Dance (Witch Island Brides Book 1)
  • The Unbreakable Curse (Accursed Archangels, #1)
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • The Wolf Within Me (The Haunted High Series, #1)
  • Wolves of Wisteria (Wisteria Witches Mysteries - City Hall, #1)
  • Elfin (The Elfin, #1)
  • Spells & Death (Paranormal MI5, #1)
  • The Palace of Lost Memories (After the Rift #1)
  • Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)
  • The Djinn Wars #1-3: Chosen / Taken / Fallen
  • Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper Trilogy (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1-3)
Megan O'Russell is the author of several Young Adult series that invite readers to escape into worlds of adventure. From Girl of Glass, which blends dystopian darkness with the heart-pounding danger of vampires, to Ena of Ilbrea, which draws readers into an epic world of magic and assassins.

With the Girl of Glass series, The Tethering series, The Chronicles of Maggie Trent, The Tale of Bryant Ada

The Tethering (4 books)
  • The Siren's Realm (The Tethering, #2)
  • The Dragon Unbound